Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice 16:13 - Dec 24 with 2540 viewsLord_Lucan

It's come to this, I need help.

Mother has moved into Lucan Towers and apparently she has TV issues (I have been told by my wife that there is a problem as Mother has been dropping hints. Being a man I didn't recognise this, I foolishly assumed that if there was a problem she would just tell me and ask for help)

Anyhoo - it's not as straightforward as it seems.

I would initially have thought the best thing would be to use those wired plug things that in effect hardwires the TV to the router however she has moved into a new purposely built annex adjoining the main house and although we only get one electric bill for the property she has her own fuse board so I wonder if this option would actually work?

If the above is not effective then is there a decent wireless booster and do they work?

Another complication.

The main problem is with TV in bedroom with Netflix etc but she now also wants a fire stick. If the "wired" connection would work is it a case of just plugging the TV into the booster connection socket thing?

TV number 2 is in her living room and is operated by SKY Q mini box from the Q box in the main house. This normally works but has dropped a couple of times, if the hardwire plug thing would work does the TV get plugged into it or the SKY minibox??????

Thanks

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 16:27 - Dec 24 with 2493 viewsvilanovablue

Have you considered a mesh system easily googleable and given that wired isn't likely to work due to the fuse board issue mentioned this is most likely the best solution. Having read a little it seems v straightforward and am considering a small scale set up at home.
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 16:33 - Dec 24 with 2478 viewsMugwump

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 16:27 - Dec 24 by vilanovablue

Have you considered a mesh system easily googleable and given that wired isn't likely to work due to the fuse board issue mentioned this is most likely the best solution. Having read a little it seems v straightforward and am considering a small scale set up at home.

I don’t know what that is but will look into that as I have a similar problem.

So you think the “Wired through the plug cheat” won’t work.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2019 16:37]
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 16:56 - Dec 24 with 2442 viewsCoastalblue

Signal across mains cable will only reliably work if they're on the same circuit, I'm afraid no hope if they're on seperate consumer units.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 16:59 - Dec 24 with 2437 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 16:56 - Dec 24 by Coastalblue

Signal across mains cable will only reliably work if they're on the same circuit, I'm afraid no hope if they're on seperate consumer units.

CB and Vilanova

Isn't the Mesh thing the same as what I have already got but won't work because of the separate fuse board.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 18:08 - Dec 24 with 2395 viewscooperd5

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 16:59 - Dec 24 by Lord_Lucan

CB and Vilanova

Isn't the Mesh thing the same as what I have already got but won't work because of the separate fuse board.

No, the mesh uses seperate WiFi channels as backhaul connectivity to link between the mesh units and thus back to the router. The WiFi you use is broadcast from each unit so its strong where you need it.
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 18:35 - Dec 24 with 2376 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 18:08 - Dec 24 by cooperd5

No, the mesh uses seperate WiFi channels as backhaul connectivity to link between the mesh units and thus back to the router. The WiFi you use is broadcast from each unit so its strong where you need it.

Oh I see - well actually I don't.

Can you advise an idiot what I will need to buy?

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 19:01 - Dec 24 with 2366 viewsBasuco

I would suggest a wireless access point, basically it is a wifi receiver that is wired via a data cable to a port on your router. Exactly how this is done is not my speciality but I know I will need to get one in the new year.
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 19:35 - Dec 24 with 2337 viewsWicklowBlue

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 16:59 - Dec 24 by Lord_Lucan

CB and Vilanova

We probably need a bit more info in terms of layout of the house and current setup. I take it you are all sharing the same internet connection? Do you know what speed your router is getting?

In the pic you posted of the Netgear powerlink adaptor it is getting a signal, which I presume is connected into the TV? Is the TV also hooked up to WiFi? If so disable the WiFi to force it to use the powerlink connection and see does that help.

There are a tonne of variables involved with networking that don't necessarily mean spending mega loads on equipment. You just need to tshoot and narrow down where the problem lies.

If you have a notebook etc connect it to the Netgear adaptor (disable WiFi) and run a speedtest and see what results you get, that will give you an idea of the quality of connection. Iirc 5mb and above will work for HD Netflix... Other options could be to route a network cable into the house extension.

Finally, from experience ISP supplied routers are crap, once you connect more than 4 devices some can just give up the ghost. I put my (Irish) Vodafone router into bridge mode and connected a TPLink router to fix this very issue.

Hope the above helps and Merry Xmas to all in Lucan Towers!
Login to get fewer ads

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 19:36 - Dec 24 with 2338 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 19:01 - Dec 24 by Basuco

I would suggest a wireless access point, basically it is a wifi receiver that is wired via a data cable to a port on your router. Exactly how this is done is not my speciality but I know I will need to get one in the new year.

If it needs a physical wire from the router to Mothers abode then we have a problem as although it is next door they are in fact separate buildings.

It would be a bit of a bügger

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 19:52 - Dec 24 with 2307 viewsWicklowBlue

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 19:36 - Dec 24 by Lord_Lucan

If it needs a physical wire from the router to Mothers abode then we have a problem as although it is next door they are in fact separate buildings.

It would be a bit of a bügger

Based on this update I would recommend the wired route over a WiFi extender. To stream TV etc a direct wire connection to the router trump's WiFi everyday.

It isn't that difficult to crimp RJ45s onto cat5e cable at all. What is the distance between the dwellings? Get a suitable length of cat5e route it across and install an ethernet socket then use powerline to connect up the other house. Again this will depend on overall connection speed on your router, how many devices are using that router and most importantly the quality of said router.

Or just get the Mother's place its own internet connection...
[Post edited 24 Dec 2019 19:56]
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 19:57 - Dec 24 with 2297 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 19:52 - Dec 24 by WicklowBlue

Based on this update I would recommend the wired route over a WiFi extender. To stream TV etc a direct wire connection to the router trump's WiFi everyday.

It isn't that difficult to crimp RJ45s onto cat5e cable at all. What is the distance between the dwellings? Get a suitable length of cat5e route it across and install an ethernet socket then use powerline to connect up the other house. Again this will depend on overall connection speed on your router, how many devices are using that router and most importantly the quality of said router.

Or just get the Mother's place its own internet connection...
[Post edited 24 Dec 2019 19:56]

Thanks

Your reply has convinced me ..................................................to get a man in.

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 20:08 - Dec 24 with 2279 viewsBloomBlue

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 19:57 - Dec 24 by Lord_Lucan

Thanks

Your reply has convinced me ..................................................to get a man in.

Really not sure what this is but bod in the pub just said he had the same problem connecting a granny building about 20 feet away from the main house and bought this and it fixed the problem

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/ubiquiti-airmax-nbe-5ac-gen2-nanobeam-ac-gen2-5g
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 20:42 - Dec 24 with 2253 viewsBasuco

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 19:57 - Dec 24 by Lord_Lucan

Thanks

If a 10 meter patch cable is all you need I have a spare you can have, if it is more complex an old mate of mine runs this firm, CR Network solutions, http://crnetworksolutions.co.uk he will help you out.
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 20:48 - Dec 24 with 2250 viewsbadadski

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 20:42 - Dec 24 by Basuco

If a 10 meter patch cable is all you need I have a spare you can have, if it is more complex an old mate of mine runs this firm, CR Network solutions, http://crnetworksolutions.co.uk he will help you out.

have you got a separate telephone access point in the Annex? If so for the sake of £18 or so quid get another separate broadband connection directly plugged into the annex telephone point meaning faster connections and no strain on sharing one access point
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 21:19 - Dec 24 with 2223 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 20:48 - Dec 24 by badadski

have you got a separate telephone access point in the Annex? If so for the sake of £18 or so quid get another separate broadband connection directly plugged into the annex telephone point meaning faster connections and no strain on sharing one access point

Thanks everyone, I'll ponder on all of this.

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 07:52 - Dec 25 with 2120 viewssolemio

I love this thread - I don't understand a word of it.
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 11:13 - Dec 25 with 2076 viewsartsbossbeard

Have you turned it off and back on again?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 11:52 - Dec 25 with 2058 viewsNo9

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 21:19 - Dec 24 by Lord_Lucan

Thanks everyone, I'll ponder on all of this.

Just don't buy Chinese cr@p off E Bay
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 12:22 - Dec 25 with 2049 viewscooperd5

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 18:35 - Dec 24 by Lord_Lucan

Oh I see - well actually I don't.

Can you advise an idiot what I will need to buy?

Something like BT whole home WiFi, or any other mesh system - have a look at these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/mesh-network/q76nooq32bxx54n

Try it and if it doesn't work well enough, you can get a refund!
The other option is to run cat6 cable from router and have wireless access point in her rooms, could have a small ethernet switch too if she wants wired connection
TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 13:54 - Dec 25 with 2006 viewsjeera

TWTD help needed - re; wifi booster for Sky Q / Netflix etc - plus Sparky advice on 07:52 - Dec 25 by solemio

I love this thread - I don't understand a word of it.

Not just me then.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024