Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Workout Gear 21:59 - Dec 26 with 1482 viewsSwailsey

Heya.

Advice on workout gear please:

1) Shirts (sweat absorbing?)
2) Shorts (length?)
3) Shoes (for treadmills)
4) Layers (should I wear more than one)

I realise this is an absurd question, but I suffer massively from self confidence at gyms and would like to feel comfortable and like I ‘belong’, as it doesn’t take much to make me stop *

* 3 failed attempts a few years ago.

Thank you x
[Post edited 26 Dec 2019 21:59]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Workout Gear on 22:02 - Dec 26 with 1463 viewsfabian_illness

I just wear a loin cloth and a head band, get on all the machines fairly easily, everyone seems so friendly, they just vacate whenever I get near.
Workout Gear on 22:02 - Dec 26 with 1463 viewsWestcountryblue

My protein do some pretty 'gym' fashionable shirts, hoodies, shorts etc..
Workout Gear on 22:10 - Dec 26 with 1438 viewsMullet

Depends on budget mate.

If you have the money then go to a decent running shop and get them to analyse your running gait, they’ll give you a selection of shoes. Knowing they are “right” will help your confidence and help you stick at it on the treadmill.

Also hunt around in the current sales as last year’s sock gets shifted. I used to get a load of cheap stuff for grappling like Sondico under stuff but it’s tat and fits like a bin bag after a few uses. You might be able to get stuff like Under Armour at a knock down.

As for layers it depends what you’re doing, a decent fitting tee shirt is fine if you’re just keeping trim, you don’t need baselayers unless you’re doing a variety of things in and outside.

You could probably kit yourself out with mid priced mid ranged stuff based on what colours you like etc and go far. I’ve always liked Adidas for the gym. But that’s fashion over anything else.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Workout Gear on 22:12 - Dec 26 with 1429 viewsSwailsey

Workout Gear on 22:10 - Dec 26 by Mullet

Depends on budget mate.

If you have the money then go to a decent running shop and get them to analyse your running gait, they’ll give you a selection of shoes. Knowing they are “right” will help your confidence and help you stick at it on the treadmill.

Also hunt around in the current sales as last year’s sock gets shifted. I used to get a load of cheap stuff for grappling like Sondico under stuff but it’s tat and fits like a bin bag after a few uses. You might be able to get stuff like Under Armour at a knock down.

As for layers it depends what you’re doing, a decent fitting tee shirt is fine if you’re just keeping trim, you don’t need baselayers unless you’re doing a variety of things in and outside.

You could probably kit yourself out with mid priced mid ranged stuff based on what colours you like etc and go far. I’ve always liked Adidas for the gym. But that’s fashion over anything else.

Thanks man.

Around £15 for shirts and shorts and £40 for shoes.

Sales is a good shout actually.

Primarily it just for treadmills, bit of weights.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Workout Gear on 08:06 - Dec 27 with 1341 viewshampstead_blue

2) Shorts (length?)

1 - Cotton and loose fitting if you lack confidence
2 - Not too short. Just above the knee. A cycling short as the brief is good as it keeps the quads and hamstrings warm
3 - Cross trainer. No need to spend more than £40/50
4 - One.

I buy loads of kit at Sportpurist and Sportshoes. com

No-one notices anyone unless you're hot and then you might get hit on by men of women.
Relax, enjoy yourself.

Oh, treadmills are good for uphill walking and warm-ups but not great for running.
The ergo rower is one of my weapons of choice.
When you're more confident try the Starting Strength youtube channel. I did it for last years crichet pre-season and the results where amazing. Low weights and trust me, know one will judge you if you press 30kg or 300kg. It's all about you.

One last thing, I bought a workout tracking book. It have me something to carry around and log my work and make notes on how I felt. I also could see my improvements.

Be happy, drink loads of water and go well for 2020.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Workout Gear on 08:27 - Dec 27 with 1328 viewsDubtractor

Workout Gear on 22:10 - Dec 26 by Mullet

Depends on budget mate.

Yeah, definitely avoid cheap brands, the ones now made by Mike Ashley (including Sondico). They are all now a piece of sh1t, all still sell though as are recognised brands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frasers_Group

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Workout Gear on 08:48 - Dec 27 with 1311 viewsSwailsey

Workout Gear on 08:06 - Dec 27 by hampstead_blue

2) Shorts (length?)

1 - Cotton and loose fitting if you lack confidence
2 - Not too short. Just above the knee. A cycling short as the brief is good as it keeps the quads and hamstrings warm
3 - Cross trainer. No need to spend more than £40/50
4 - One.

I buy loads of kit at Sportpurist and Sportshoes. com

No-one notices anyone unless you're hot and then you might get hit on by men of women.
Relax, enjoy yourself.

Oh, treadmills are good for uphill walking and warm-ups but not great for running.
The ergo rower is one of my weapons of choice.
When you're more confident try the Starting Strength youtube channel. I did it for last years crichet pre-season and the results where amazing. Low weights and trust me, know one will judge you if you press 30kg or 300kg. It's all about you.

One last thing, I bought a workout tracking book. It have me something to carry around and log my work and make notes on how I felt. I also could see my improvements.

Be happy, drink loads of water and go well for 2020.

Stunning - thank you!

Workout Gear on 09:02 - Dec 27 with 1296 viewsHong_Kong_Bluey

Use your old clothes, and spend the money on a GOOD trainer. Key word being GOOD. You can usually tell the decent ones by the way they listen and ask questions and don't just assume they know what's best for you.

Also the better ones will guide you towards barbell free weight resistance training, which is probably the most difficult and intimidating part of the gym, but the part which brings the best results (and most fun imho).

Once you've learned the basics, you can enter any gym with more confidence and enjoy the benefits of this methodology, and you won't give a toss what you're wearing.

I will caveat this with a "it depends". It depends on your age, state of fitness, current condition etc etc.

There's a reason people fail going back to the gym. Remember the adage about doing the same thing over and over again to get different results.

In case you're interested, this is a real passion of mine since I hit 45 a few years ago as a rather unfit unhealthy middle aged man. I've recently got my nutrition coach qualification and work with various different trainers in differing fields of expertise.

Would be more than happy to guide further. If you're interested, DM me, if not, no sweat and best of luck.

Each persons journey is different. Be sure to enjoy yours. If you're not enjoying, change it. Good luck!
Login to get fewer ads

Workout Gear on 09:05 - Dec 27 with 1286 viewsTractorWood

Sounds like the gym is the problem. Start with Parkrun and a bit of jogging outside.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Workout Gear on 10:59 - Dec 27 with 1244 viewsSwailsey

Workout Gear on 09:02 - Dec 27 by Hong_Kong_Bluey

Use your old clothes, and spend the money on a GOOD trainer. Key word being GOOD. You can usually tell the decent ones by the way they listen and ask questions and don't just assume they know what's best for you.

Also the better ones will guide you towards barbell free weight resistance training, which is probably the most difficult and intimidating part of the gym, but the part which brings the best results (and most fun imho).

Once you've learned the basics, you can enter any gym with more confidence and enjoy the benefits of this methodology, and you won't give a toss what you're wearing.

I will caveat this with a "it depends". It depends on your age, state of fitness, current condition etc etc.

There's a reason people fail going back to the gym. Remember the adage about doing the same thing over and over again to get different results.

In case you're interested, this is a real passion of mine since I hit 45 a few years ago as a rather unfit unhealthy middle aged man. I've recently got my nutrition coach qualification and work with various different trainers in differing fields of expertise.

Would be more than happy to guide further. If you're interested, DM me, if not, no sweat and best of luck.

Each persons journey is different. Be sure to enjoy yours. If you're not enjoying, change it. Good luck!

Thank you for this, that’s really helpful. I’ll hold you to that!

Workout Gear on 18:15 - Dec 27 with 1205 viewshampstead_blue

Workout Gear on 09:02 - Dec 27 by Hong_Kong_Bluey

I'll echo this.

I've never bought recovery/protein shakes. Just eat loads of fresh food.
If you drink, as I do, make sure it's diet vodka/gin and diet tonic

My key revelation was Starting Strength podcast/youtube.

Free weights and never the simple movement type machines. Cable type machines are great for stability and small muscle stuff.

Don't fret about the size of weight you use. Nobody is judging you.

Rest between sets. Sleep more, and eat fresh.

Smash it, gently.....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Workout Gear on 19:08 - Dec 27 with 1180 viewscrunchie1978

Christ for a minute I was gonna suggest test n deca.
Workout Gear on 19:20 - Dec 27 with 1169 viewsBloomBlue

Have you thought about following some of those 7 minute workouts on YouTube, a lot of fitness experts seem to think they are as good as 1 hour sessions in a gym. Then as you're following them in your own home doesnt matter what you wear.
Workout Gear on 11:03 - Dec 28 with 1067 viewsbritbiker

As a side issue. I find wireless headphones a necessity. As a devotee of rock and metal I find the music played in gym's is rubbish. Metal makes me work out harder.

You will find a large number of member's will have their own headphones on.

I find the wireles ones best as there are no cables in your way when stretching etc. Plus, I find the in ear plugs best as they are small. Get the ones that have the bits that go over the top of your ear to hold them in place as the simple ear plug ones always fall out.

You will probably find having your own music will make you feel less conscience of those around you.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 1:18]
Workout Gear on 11:21 - Dec 28 with 1057 viewsbritbiker

Forgot the say. I have gone to the gym since I was 13. I'm in my fifties now so maybe I'm just used to it. Gym's are not as intimidating as there are so many of them now and they now and they are better run

They cater for everyone. Several people go with a friend but the majority are single users. I can honestly say no one takes much notice of what anyone else is doing as they should be thinking about their own workout. Apart from the occasional smile and thank you, I don't speak a lot in the gym.

Stick with it as it's just as good for your mind as it is for your physique.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 1:17]
Workout Gear on 11:35 - Dec 28 with 1050 viewsNo9

Sofa
Glass
Bottle (pref full)
remote
Workout Gear on 12:21 - Dec 28 with 1021 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Workout Gear on 19:46 - Dec 29 with 953 viewsSwailsey

Thanks all.

Got some bits based on this thread and signed up to a gym today, I will probably be in touch with some peeps once Christmas dies down.

Thanks again as ever, TWTD.

Workout Gear on 21:39 - Dec 29 with 907 viewsPlums

Workout Gear on 11:03 - Dec 28 by britbiker

As a side issue. I find wireless headphones a necessity. As a devotee of rock and metal I find the music played in gym's is rubbish. Metal makes me work out harder.

You will find a large number of member's will have their own headphones on.

I find the wireles ones best as there are no cables in your way when stretching etc. Plus, I find the in ear plugs best as they are small. Get the ones that have the bits that go over the top of your ear to hold them in place as the simple ear plug ones always fall out.

You will probably find having your own music will make you feel less conscience of those around you.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2019 1:18]

Would you recommend anything particular at the moment? I am looking around for some but predominantly for running. I’ve had Aftershokz in the past which I loved but have had two pairs break in exactly the same place som don’t really want to get bitten again however, the ability to hear traffic is great.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Workout Gear on 22:14 - Dec 29 with 891 viewsWD19

Workout Gear on 21:39 - Dec 29 by Plums

Would you recommend anything particular at the moment? I am looking around for some but predominantly for running. I’ve had Aftershokz in the past which I loved but have had two pairs break in exactly the same place som don’t really want to get bitten again however, the ability to hear traffic is great.

I have the Bose ones. They are great, but they were a gift and I think they are quite pricey. Very good though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024