Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corners - what is our thinking on these? 01:05 - Dec 27 with 1118 viewshoppy

When we get a corner:
a) why do we so often struggle to beat the first or second defender?
b) why do we never have anyone deep, in case of any knock ons, to be able to quickly put the ball back in from the other side?

When defending a corner:
Why do we always bring absolutely everyone back without leaving anyone in a more advanced position up the pitch to enable a quick break out?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 01:16 - Dec 27 with 1099 viewsWicklowBlue

When did we last have a decent corner setup? Been kicking the ball into the head of the first defender for decades.
Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 01:44 - Dec 27 with 1071 viewsblueconscience

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 01:16 - Dec 27 by WicklowBlue

When did we last have a decent corner setup? Been kicking the ball into the head of the first defender for decades.

Neil Thompson

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 01:46 - Dec 27 with 1072 viewsStNeotsBlue

Your last point about having everyone back for corners, it makes my head hurt totally counter productive and is nonsense we seem have stuck with since the Keane days.
Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 02:06 - Dec 27 with 1051 viewslmfcblue

Yep absolute shambles from corners for and against
Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 02:32 - Dec 27 with 1038 viewsStenvict

Stick Holy in goal.

Leave Jackson on the halfway line when defending corners.

Get Holy to attempt to catch the ball, quickly throw it out to Jackson who hopefully has acres of space to first take the 10 minutes or so he needs to control the ball, then sprint towards goal and fingers crossed by this time he's used his pace to get 1 on 1. Hopefully Norwood isn't up there to give him an option when he needs to just shoot.

Instead, what we are doing if our GK, whoever it is, catches the ball, we tend to hang onto it and allow the opposition to get their shape back and we're back to square one of trying to walk the ball in starting from the back.

It's infuriating

Poll: What will be announced first?

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 08:39 - Dec 27 with 909 viewsIpswichKnight

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 01:44 - Dec 27 by blueconscience

Neil Thompson

Waghorn? Used to fire them in, some did hit the first defender but those that didn't were often headed either, slightly over, on target or even scored from. We've scored I think only one from a corner this season, from a El-Miz corner at Posh, before and since then we've looked about as likely to score from one as I have about scoring with Taylor Swift!
Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:04 - Dec 27 with 891 viewsfactual_blue

They are a necessary and well-established part of establishing the cause of death in appropriate cases.

I didn't realise they were in any way controversial.

Oh - sorry I thought you said 'coroners'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:08 - Dec 27 with 878 viewshoppy

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:04 - Dec 27 by factual_blue

They are a necessary and well-established part of establishing the cause of death in appropriate cases.

I didn't realise they were in any way controversial.

Oh - sorry I thought you said 'coroners'.

I guess for some, they’re more likely to be in attendance with a successful coroner than to see a successful corner...

But at least we know you’re still with us presently.

Login to get fewer ads

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:10 - Dec 27 with 868 viewstextbackup

our corners are pathetic.

when we defend its a shambles that Jackson isn't left up top

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:11 - Dec 27 with 861 viewsfactual_blue

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:08 - Dec 27 by hoppy

I guess for some, they’re more likely to be in attendance with a successful coroner than to see a successful corner...

But at least we know you’re still with us presently.

It's only a matter of time.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:12 - Dec 27 with 859 viewsSwansea_Blue

(a) is the curse of Leadbitter. Exorcism would sort that out, def info.

It’s amazing how many players can’t take a decent set piece. Even if the PL you see loads of corners fail to beat the first man. And I don’t mean attempted near post flick ons, just rubbish corners.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:20 - Dec 27 with 834 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 02:06 - Dec 27 by lmfcblue

Yep absolute shambles from corners for and against

Against? We’ve only conceded 2 goals from set pieces this season. Equal lowest in the division.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:23 - Dec 27 with 822 viewshoppy

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:11 - Dec 27 by factual_blue

It's only a matter of time.

Shame we can’t say the same about the corners...

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:25 - Dec 27 with 814 viewshoppy

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:20 - Dec 27 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Against? We’ve only conceded 2 goals from set pieces this season. Equal lowest in the division.

How many chances have we created from a quick break after successfully defending a corner against by having someone further upfield?

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:41 - Dec 27 with 783 viewsrfretwell

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:25 - Dec 27 by hoppy

How many chances have we created from a quick break after successfully defending a corner against by having someone further upfield?

Gillingham left a striker up front during our corners. Also we had no defender on either post during theirs. We seem to be getting away with that with the poor strikers in this league.
Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:45 - Dec 27 with 771 viewsBluebell

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 02:32 - Dec 27 by Stenvict

Stick Holy in goal.

Leave Jackson on the halfway line when defending corners.

Get Holy to attempt to catch the ball, quickly throw it out to Jackson who hopefully has acres of space to first take the 10 minutes or so he needs to control the ball, then sprint towards goal and fingers crossed by this time he's used his pace to get 1 on 1. Hopefully Norwood isn't up there to give him an option when he needs to just shoot.

Instead, what we are doing if our GK, whoever it is, catches the ball, we tend to hang onto it and allow the opposition to get their shape back and we're back to square one of trying to walk the ball in starting from the back.

It's infuriating

Well said.

This has been my gripe for years. Other teams do it, why can't we? It's not as if the short players make any difference at corners.

The keeper holding onto the ball really annoys me. He (both Norris and Holy) stand holding the ball watching all the opposing players get back into position before hoofing it up the pitch. Invarably it goes to an opposing player, their keeper or out of play!

As for 'our' corners. Why can't we have players with the talent of Tommy Smith and Christoph Berra who could get up high and flick the ball into the net. If it goes past the first man it either goes to the keeper or so far past the goal that the players are nowhere near it!
Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:49 - Dec 27 with 761 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:25 - Dec 27 by hoppy

None because we don’t leave anyone upfield. I’m not unopposed to leaving someone up front but We’re hardly alone in bringing everyone back and the stats show we defend corners well. Peterborough have scored most goals on the counterattack with 4. No idea if any are from corners defended but it’s hardly a rich seam of goal opportunity we’re missing out on. Many more important issues to address rather than this.

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 10:01 - Dec 27 with 728 viewshoppy

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:45 - Dec 27 by Bluebell

Well said.

This has been my gripe for years. Other teams do it, why can't we? It's not as if the short players make any difference at corners.

The keeper holding onto the ball really annoys me. He (both Norris and Holy) stand holding the ball watching all the opposing players get back into position before hoofing it up the pitch. Invarably it goes to an opposing player, their keeper or out of play!

As for 'our' corners. Why can't we have players with the talent of Tommy Smith and Christoph Berra who could get up high and flick the ball into the net. If it goes past the first man it either goes to the keeper or so far past the goal that the players are nowhere near it!

Exactly... that’s often been the case where, if the ball does go beyond the first or second man or gets flicked on, we’re so narrow that there’s nobody out beyond the goal to whip it back in .

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 10:12 - Dec 27 with 720 viewshoppy

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 09:49 - Dec 27 by WestStanderLaLaLa

None because we don’t leave anyone upfield. I’m not unopposed to leaving someone up front but We’re hardly alone in bringing everyone back and the stats show we defend corners well. Peterborough have scored most goals on the counterattack with 4. No idea if any are from corners defended but it’s hardly a rich seam of goal opportunity we’re missing out on. Many more important issues to address rather than this.

But by bringing everyone back, it’s inviting the opposition to bring more of their guys up for their corners rather than leaving some back to defend against Jackson, for example, if he were left up.

There’s more chance of ‘getting it away’ from defending a corner if we’ve got options further out to utilise more quickly.

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 10:35 - Dec 27 with 693 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Corners - what is our thinking on these? on 10:12 - Dec 27 by hoppy

But by bringing everyone back, it’s inviting the opposition to bring more of their guys up for their corners rather than leaving some back to defend against Jackson, for example, if he were left up.

There’s more chance of ‘getting it away’ from defending a corner if we’ve got options further out to utilise more quickly.

Like I said, I’m not unopposed to it. Just pointing out we defend corners well under this system.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024