Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goal threat... where is it coming from? 05:47 - Dec 27 with 1141 viewshoppy

Since the end of August, there’s only been 3 league games we’ve scored more than 1 goal. The 4-1 home win against Tranmere at the end of September, 3-1 win away at Southend at the end of October and the 2-2 home draw against Blackpool towards the end of November. It’s a shame those results haven’t given the confidence to carry that on into the next game.
What has made us so lacking in having much of a goal threat? Is it all down to the player rotation and the chopping and changing of formations, or anything else?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:13 - Dec 27 with 1058 viewspowinswitch

A powderpuff midfield, devoid of confidence, creativity, belief and a system is where I would start. My grandma could outmuscle any one of the four on the park yesterday. This is a robust league, and teams are generally setting up to stop us, and then realising we aren’t all that. That is a very poor engine room. Utter garbage.
Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:15 - Dec 27 with 1050 viewstextbackup

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:13 - Dec 27 by powinswitch

A powderpuff midfield, devoid of confidence, creativity, belief and a system is where I would start. My grandma could outmuscle any one of the four on the park yesterday. This is a robust league, and teams are generally setting up to stop us, and then realising we aren’t all that. That is a very poor engine room. Utter garbage.

we can 100% afford to not have skuse in there now, downes does what he can offer, and more.

downes plus another

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:18 - Dec 27 with 1039 viewspowinswitch

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:15 - Dec 27 by textbackup

we can 100% afford to not have skuse in there now, downes does what he can offer, and more.

downes plus another

I’ve said it before, when you drop Skuse, then we will improve. To be fair, I’m not confident of that under lambert. Tactically bereft.
Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:19 - Dec 27 with 1027 viewsDubtractor

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:13 - Dec 27 by powinswitch

We seem to have a different midfield every game, which really can't help. Both in terms of the system and personnel.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:23 - Dec 27 with 1013 viewsPositivelyPortman

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:18 - Dec 27 by powinswitch

I’ve said it before, when you drop Skuse, then we will improve. To be fair, I’m not confident of that under lambert. Tactically bereft.

Out of interest, how many professional football clubs have you managed?

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:25 - Dec 27 with 1005 viewspowinswitch

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:23 - Dec 27 by PositivelyPortman

Out of interest, how many professional football clubs have you managed?

I assume the same as you. It’s a forum, where we come to discuss football. That’s a genuinely held belief. I could be wrong. But it’s what TWTD is for
Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:42 - Dec 27 with 971 viewsGuthrum

A seeming unwillingness to just shoot, to have a go. Numerous times yesterday someone was in a position to let fly, but passed it wide instead, with the result the ball was eventually lost or a foul blown for.

Sure, the 'keeper might stop it, but he might not, or there could be a rebound. Or a handball giving a penalty.

We don't have the skill differential to just walk the ball into the net, or the coordination to pull off the perfect cross-and-header combination. That's why we register so few shots - too much messing around. Need to just try our luck sometimes.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:49 - Dec 27 with 951 viewsHerbivore

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:18 - Dec 27 by powinswitch

Although the stats show that when Skuse doesn't play our results tend to be worse. I'm not sure the answer to improving our 'powderpuff' midfield is to drop our one experienced, solid central midfielder. Admittedly he's not playing well at the moment but then nobody is. Nolan was garbage yesterday and the less said about Judge the better.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 08:57 - Dec 27 with 927 viewsHerbivore

The rotation is the biggest issue for me, both changing personnel and changing system. We're not developing any partnerships, the players look like strangers most of the time. It's all on the manager for me, the players ought to be good enough but he's making a total mess of this season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 09:04 - Dec 27 with 914 viewsTractorWood

Jackson, Norwood, Keane and Judge should be scoring 10+ goals a season in this league. Rotation, the non existent midfield and other tactical errors are the problem.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 10:06 - Dec 27 with 828 viewshoppy

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 09:04 - Dec 27 by TractorWood

Jackson, Norwood, Keane and Judge should be scoring 10+ goals a season in this league. Rotation, the non existent midfield and other tactical errors are the problem.

Added to this, the seeming reluctance of those mentioned to have a go rather than trying to walk it in the net. Would be interested to know the type of goals primarily Jackson and Norwood scored when in Jackson’s case at this level previously, and Norwood in League 2 last season? Did they used to shoot on sight, or were they mostly walked in?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 10:19 - Dec 27 with 786 viewsnorth_stand77

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 10:06 - Dec 27 by hoppy

Added to this, the seeming reluctance of those mentioned to have a go rather than trying to walk it in the net. Would be interested to know the type of goals primarily Jackson and Norwood scored when in Jackson’s case at this level previously, and Norwood in League 2 last season? Did they used to shoot on sight, or were they mostly walked in?

I agree, can't remember last game where we actually scored from distance, indeed had proper shots on target from outside the box.

The chance of a goal out of nothing that makes your heart sing.

We spend much of the game passing backwards when in possession.
Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 16:34 - Dec 27 with 706 viewsTractorWood

Goal threat... where is it coming from? on 10:19 - Dec 27 by north_stand77

I agree, can't remember last game where we actually scored from distance, indeed had proper shots on target from outside the box.

The chance of a goal out of nothing that makes your heart sing.

We spend much of the game passing backwards when in possession.

Endless, meandering build up play that ultimately always finds its way wide and then inevitably a poor ball in to no obvious target man. That's if it beats the first man!

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024