Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? 08:10 - Dec 27 with 4146 viewsWickwar_Blue

Following on from a previous post claiming that yesterday was the worst, a simple question. Which Town performance stunk the famous old ground out the most?

Personally I remember a particularly dreadful Boxing Day effort against Birmingham in the 90s (I think it finished 0-1) and a League Cup defeat at home to Stockport.

I haven’t been going as much during the Mick years so missed the 1 up front, 2 holding midfielders fiasco against Rotherham.
What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:12 - Dec 27 with 2540 viewstextbackup

too many to mention from the MM time here, but yesterday could be chucked in there also, but im not sure it was THAT horrible, or whether the sht weather and expectancy level to win and current form, made it seem worse than it actually was

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:16 - Dec 27 with 2528 viewspowinswitch

I wanted Mick gone, but he had a (awful to watch) system. I don’t know what system we are playing whilst watching a game. We should be setting up to dominate teams, but yesterday was tactically inept. We made another team look decent.
What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:26 - Dec 27 with 2497 viewsITFC_Forever

Has to be the 0-3 vs Sheffield Wednesday just after Jewell left.

Although there’s plenty from the latter years of MMc you could also pick.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:26 - Dec 27 with 2496 viewsGuthrum

That Rotherham game in March 2016. Yesterday was merely "annoyingly disjointed" in comparison.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:31 - Dec 27 with 2464 viewsHerbivore

I'm not sure that Rotherham game under Mick is even our worst home performance against Rotherham in recent years. We were dreadful against them this season and the game against them last season was an horrific game of football.

It's probably still the 3-0 against Sheffield Wednesday for me. Such an entirely gutless display.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:39 - Dec 27 with 2452 viewssouthnorfolkblue

We lost 5-1 at home to Wimbledon back in the 90s. More recently there was the game v Derby when we went 3-0 down in virtually no time at all.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:51 - Dec 27 with 2423 viewsSwailsey

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:26 - Dec 27 by ITFC_Forever

This is the correct answer.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:57 - Dec 27 with 2411 viewsbrogansnose

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:26 - Dec 27 by ITFC_Forever

I've been bored and I've seen quite a lot of cack over the years but this game was by miles the worst. A lot of games have at least some redeeming feature such as a good performance from a youngster but that game .....................................
Login to get fewer ads

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:01 - Dec 27 with 2392 viewsMullet

Losing to Nodge under Jewell is up there, absolutely humiliating and we had even less guts, shape or system than yesterday.

Anyone who thinks anything since then comes close is kidding themselves.

There were a few in the 90’s but that’s probably because generally we were so good under Burley. Possibly something like Sheffield Weds doing us at home in their black kit and Carlton Palmer scoring wasn’t great.

Although, I know people love bringing up the Rotherham game under Mick, how the one this season doesn’t beat it for people is interesting.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:03 - Dec 27 with 2383 viewsTractorWood

That was pretty poor yesterday. The Rotherham game did spring to mind for me and Lincoln away as well.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:05 - Dec 27 with 2375 viewsHerbivore

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:01 - Dec 27 by Mullet

Losing to Nodge under Jewell is up there, absolutely humiliating and we had even less guts, shape or system than yesterday.

Anyone who thinks anything since then comes close is kidding themselves.

There were a few in the 90’s but that’s probably because generally we were so good under Burley. Possibly something like Sheffield Weds doing us at home in their black kit and Carlton Palmer scoring wasn’t great.

Although, I know people love bringing up the Rotherham game under Mick, how the one this season doesn’t beat it for people is interesting.

That Rotherham game took place back when we still had hope and a level of expectation of Town to not be utter sh!te. It's a sign of how times have changed that the last two times we've played Rotherham at home we've been far, far worse and it barely even registers.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:07 - Dec 27 with 2367 viewsfactual_blue

Hard to choose. It's either Barry Manilow or Neil Diamond.

Although I didn't see either.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 9:08]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:07 - Dec 27 with 2362 viewsMrTown

Hull at home was bad under MM. They were right down the bottom, cane here and battered us 3-0.

Scathing that night I was.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:08 - Dec 27 with 2347 viewsMullet

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:05 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

That Rotherham game took place back when we still had hope and a level of expectation of Town to not be utter sh!te. It's a sign of how times have changed that the last two times we've played Rotherham at home we've been far, far worse and it barely even registers.

I guess you also write off games like Villa under Klug where you just get done over because of that, but it’s really bizarre how this season isn’t sweeping the board given we’ve never watched/played at this level for 90% of fans.

Perhaps the context is just testament to how good we all knew Mick was? At least if this continues Evans might finally get a bit more than some tutting and a bedsheet or two. We might even get more than a party political broadcast too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:18 - Dec 27 with 2308 viewshaynes_toe1

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:08 - Dec 27 by Mullet

I guess you also write off games like Villa under Klug where you just get done over because of that, but it’s really bizarre how this season isn’t sweeping the board given we’ve never watched/played at this level for 90% of fans.

Perhaps the context is just testament to how good we all knew Mick was? At least if this continues Evans might finally get a bit more than some tutting and a bedsheet or two. We might even get more than a party political broadcast too.

For me a lot of our worst performances have been this season purely because of the overall quality of football including the opposition. It's one thing lumping it up to Murphy in the Championship when you're against a Derby side that cost £80m to build - it's another doing it at home to Gillingham without registering a shot on target with what should be comfortably the best squad in this league.
What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:32 - Dec 27 with 2271 viewscarlisleaway

Problem is we could write a book on the worst performances seen at Portman Road over the past 15 years.....sadly
Do You remember losing 2-0 to Stockport back .in the 90s on a very wet Tuesday night.
What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:37 - Dec 27 with 2255 viewsr2d2

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:32 - Dec 27 by carlisleaway

Problem is we could write a book on the worst performances seen at Portman Road over the past 15 years.....sadly
Do You remember losing 2-0 to Stockport back .in the 90s on a very wet Tuesday night.

That Stockport game was the lowest l remember. Terrible night. One of the worst attendances too l believe. I always gauge games based on that night, and believe me, nothing has compared to that over the years.
What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:47 - Dec 27 with 2214 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:32 - Dec 27 by carlisleaway

The Stockport game sprung to mind this morning. We were utter sh@t that night. I then got stuck behind a lorry load of portaloos on the A140 back to Long Stratton. Quite apt really.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:47 - Dec 27 with 2214 viewsSteve_M

Southampton in 2002. Chris Marsden FFS.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:54 - Dec 27 with 2190 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

From recent memory, Ipswich 0-3 Hull. The game where Mick did the on pitch huddle. Absolute shambles.

2-0 down at half time, big second half needed. Mick inspired team talk, we can do this.

Minute 47....Hull score again.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:56 - Dec 27 with 2180 viewsPinewoodblue

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:39 - Dec 27 by southnorfolkblue

We lost 5-1 at home to Wimbledon back in the 90s. More recently there was the game v Derby when we went 3-0 down in virtually no time at all.

Think Wimbledon was last game of season. 4-1 up in injury time took ball to corner flag to see game out. Not one Town player had any interest in getting it back.

Wimbledon saw the opportunity to get the ball into the box and score number 5.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:56 - Dec 27 with 2183 viewsbraveblue

Fulham on Boxing Day three years ago. Big crowd and MM fielded his usual back 8. It was simply awful to watch in front of 20,000 plus.
What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 10:00 - Dec 27 with 2163 viewsSomethingBlue

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:37 - Dec 27 by r2d2

That Stockport game was the lowest l remember. Terrible night. One of the worst attendances too l believe. I always gauge games based on that night, and believe me, nothing has compared to that over the years.

Yep, Stockport is my worst too. It was a proper "where were you when ... " over the subsequent few years.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 10:31 - Dec 27 with 2127 viewsWickwar_Blue

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 08:39 - Dec 27 by southnorfolkblue

That game was my wife’s first trip to Portman Road! She asked me “is it always like this?”

Believe Joe Royle got in hot water afterwards for his comment of “we defended like women.”
What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 10:33 - Dec 27 with 2112 viewsTractorWood

What was the worst performance you’ve ever seen at Portman Road? on 09:54 - Dec 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

From recent memory, Ipswich 0-3 Hull. The game where Mick did the on pitch huddle. Absolute shambles.

2-0 down at half time, big second half needed. Mick inspired team talk, we can do this.

Minute 47....Hull score again.

I went to that game. One of the only games I've ever left early.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024