Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The formation dilemma 10:07 - Dec 27 with 448 viewsBluefish

I've seen lots of talk obviously around what we should have as plan A formation wise.

There is a lot of talk for a 433 style formation which is very popular in modern football. I have issues with this though for a couple of reasons.

We don't have the central striker for it. Keane and Norwood like to roam and prefer to go looking for the ball whereas Jackson's hold up play is non existent.

We don't have the wide support players. Edwards is diabolical but he also likes to hog the touchline and isn't involved anywhere near enough in the game. In a 433 variation thise players are key in constantly linking the forward to the rest of the team. Sears had absolute potential but Jackson is a frontline striker, he doesn't have the intelligence or control to do the link role. Judge hasn't got the legs for it and Keane and Norwood don't have the pace for it.

This means we must play 2 up top so how do we make that work? Dozzell and Nolan struggle to dominate CM in a 2 which leaves Skuse and Downes but they are not creative enough and again we struggle for the wide players to link to the forwards, when they do we usually find Keane and Norwood have wandered down the box is empty.

5 at the back is and option, the wingbacks suit the available players but we cant play 3 centre backs plus Skuse. It needs to be 2 plus Skuse and then a creative CM. This also allows us to easily shift to 41212. It isn't always great with the lack of width but it is our only way to play with the players available. The issue is that we need to stick to it so it gels and we can make it our formation. At the moment we are reacting to other teams and getting pulled apart because we are not comfortable in our system.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The formation dilemma on 10:10 - Dec 27 with 430 viewstractorboy1978

There were some decent balls going into the box in the second half yesterday (particularly from the right) but nobody attacking them. The type Murphy would have been on the end of, I am stumped as to why we didn't go for him.
The formation dilemma on 10:12 - Dec 27 with 418 viewsReuser_is_God

I think the 3 at the back with wing backs was good when KVY was fit.

It allowed us 2 strikers which, as you say, we need as none of our strikers can play the lone role. We are also poor in wide areas with the exception of Garbutt & KVY.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The formation dilemma on 10:15 - Dec 27 with 412 viewsBluefish

The formation dilemma on 10:12 - Dec 27 by Reuser_is_God

I think the 3 at the back with wing backs was good when KVY was fit.

It allowed us 2 strikers which, as you say, we need as none of our strikers can play the lone role. We are also poor in wide areas with the exception of Garbutt & KVY.

It started ok but we soon shifted to a more defensive 5. Considering the league we are in it then just didnt work. We need a 5 at the back that is also attacking, as you say KVY is key to that but we cant write the season off because of one injury

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024