Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? 10:25 - Dec 27 with 2247 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I'll list mine and would be interested to see if the majority of posters agree.

1) Holy is better than Norris.

Aside from (kicking the ball against Akins?) the opening day I don't see that Holy has made any mistakes. He's largely been excellent, commands the box so well and his kicking has been the best I have seen from a keeper we've had for ages (Coventry at home aside where he had a mare. Norris looks like an average League One keeper. Holy is our player, has never let us down. There's a reason why no other club regularly rotates keepers.

2) We look best playing 4-3-3.

At the start of the season I actually thought we looked better at 4-4-2 but of late we look to be completely dominated in the middle with that formation and our wingers have been incredibly poor. For me 4-3-3 is where we have looked our most threatening.

3) Nsiala should never be playing ahead of Chambers, Woolfenden or Wilson.

I really want the guy to come good but he's been absolutely abysmal. Looks like conceding a penalty every time the ball is in the box. A yellow or red card waiting to happen also. Cannot pass. Is not composed. He's made a couple of outstanding blocks this season but that does not negate defenders terrorising him for the other 89 minutes.

4) Skuse's legs have gone

I am a massive fan of Skuse historically. Superb player. But this season he just looks like time has caught up with him. In a middle 2 with anyone other than Downes he is horrible exposed. Teams move the ball so easily against us. He knows where to be but just cannot get there. Being partnered with Huws and to a degree Nolan has also made both of them look poor. In a three Huws and Nolan have had decent games. In a two with Skuse they have looked appalling.

5) Judge should be ahead of two other central midfielders.

In a 4-3-3 it should be Downes and Huws or Downes and Dozzell for me with Judge ahead of them. He can make the game tick there, he's a class act and he's woefully out of confidence playing in a position he's simply not quick enough or very good at. Judge behind the strikers would give us so much going forward.

6) We have to make substitutions earlier.

How can Lambert be happy at 75 minutes at home to a mid-table side with us having created very little? This is a regular thing now. Subs at 80 or 85 mins. Other teams freshen things up and we do nothing until a few minutes from time only for Edwards, Georgiou, Dobra, El Mizouni or whoever to have come on and immediately made us look more threatening.

7) We really miss Chambers when he isn't there.

Skuse barely even spoke yesterday. Twice in the second half we almost gave goals away and Skuse didn't say a word. Chambers (and to a degree Downes) are the only players in that side that look anywhere neat capable of leading on the pitch.

8) We need to play our best side EVERY WEEK.

We have 40 players when other teams have 20 and yet our form is amongst the worst in the division recently over the business period of the year. If this doesn't speak volumes to the fact that cohesion, identity and partnerships are more important than the 5% extra we get from being 'fresh' then I don't know what will. Play your best side, stick to it and when players come in and perform, let them keep their place.

9) We are ill equipped to play long balls.

Jackson never wins a header, Norwood rarely and we insist on working the ball out to the full backs to pump the ball up to nobody. We are not even attempting to keep the ball, pass the ball and hurt the opposition. Most of the teams that have come to Portman Road (Coventry, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury, Doncaster, Rotherham) have all played football that was easier on the eye. Despite the fact that Lambert was keen on introducing a more pleasing style of play, we are playing similar football to what McCarthy bored us with when we actually had Murphy - a proper focal point. It's maddening.

Quite simply my best side would be (once fit):

Sears Norwood Jackson
Judge
Downes Huws
Garbutt Chambers Woolfenden Vincent-Young
Holy
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 10:36]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 10:28 - Dec 27 with 2203 viewsPecker

The club were wrong to appoint him.
Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 10:28 - Dec 27 with 2199 viewsSwailsey

1) Too much rotation
2) Too quick to abandon formations/new styles of play
3) Too much deflection
4) Lack of desire
5) Relegated too easy

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 10:32 - Dec 27 with 2182 viewsreusersfreekicks

Agree with all of that WtW
Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 10:32 - Dec 27 with 2180 viewsBluefish

Agree with

1 I've never been convinced by Norris and he isn't ours anyway

3 although Wilson is massively overhyped on here so that part is debatable

6 yes because things have been struggling lately but you shouldn't premeditate subs, PL should be able to watch the game and see the change that is needed

7 has always been obvious

8 the core should be a 1st choice where we make small tweaks on form and fitness
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 10:33]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 12:01 - Dec 27 with 2079 viewshector_clifford

How he deals with the media is wrong.
It seems he is deliberately argumentative, and contrary.
The lack of respect he gives the opposition, before a game. Always says it is just about us. It obviously isn't or he wouldn't make so many changes would he.
He contradicts himself on so many things.
Calling off games during the international breaks has damaged any momentum we may have had.
Too many changes of system and personnel from game to game has damaged us, and is also I believe disrespectful to the opposition and it feels like he is saying he can pick any team, and we will win.
Alternating between goalkeepers is just very strange.
Lack of respect for cup competitions and complaining about Christmas schedule, just get on with it. You might think it, but do you have to say it.
He should have sold Judge, or adopted a formation where he is playing in his best position.
He should have bought a left back.
He should have bought a strong target man and not Will Keane.

I'm bored now and I'm sure you are too!

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 12:10 - Dec 27 with 2065 viewshomer_123

Judge should be nowhere near the starting XI.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 12:32 - Dec 27 with 2011 viewsjudespiveyg

Huws still doesn't look fit, I do wonder if he's had too many injuries to ever be the same, which would be a real shame because this team's crying out for a ball carrying midfielder.
Agree about Holy, Nsiala and Skuse. 8 and 9 I also agree with.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 12:36 - Dec 27 with 1997 viewsjudespiveyg

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 10:32 - Dec 27 by Bluefish

Agree with

1 I've never been convinced by Norris and he isn't ours anyway

3 although Wilson is massively overhyped on here so that part is debatable

6 yes because things have been struggling lately but you shouldn't premeditate subs, PL should be able to watch the game and see the change that is needed

7 has always been obvious

8 the core should be a 1st choice where we make small tweaks on form and fitness
[Post edited 27 Dec 2019 10:33]

Wilson is better than Nsiala surely. Very much a League One standard player but very calm, puts the ball out when he needs to, and never plays us into trouble. Nsiala on the other hand can be summed up by the play yesterday when he made a spectacular potential goal saving tackle but only after he'd given the ball straight to their forward. Wilson should definitely be our backup centre half.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Login to get fewer ads

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 13:16 - Dec 27 with 1926 viewsBluefish

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 12:36 - Dec 27 by judespiveyg

Wilson is better than Nsiala surely. Very much a League One standard player but very calm, puts the ball out when he needs to, and never plays us into trouble. Nsiala on the other hand can be summed up by the play yesterday when he made a spectacular potential goal saving tackle but only after he'd given the ball straight to their forward. Wilson should definitely be our backup centre half.

Wilson generally puts the ball out when trying to pass it. Decent cover for league 1 but no more

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 14:07 - Dec 27 with 1845 viewsCornishMariner

Totally agree with OP and these are all points which can be sorted. Hoping the managerial team can also see this for themselves.
433 has produced the most chances in recent games.

Poll: Between now and the new season will you mostly be ....

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 14:12 - Dec 27 with 1832 viewsFrankfurtBlue

1) Holy is better than Norris.
Totally agreed

2) We look best playing 4-3-3.
Agreed. Although, I think that with the players at his disposal, he could make most systems work, if he just chose the best personnel for the system, and trained and played it relentlessly. He is shooting himself in the foot with the constant changes of system and personnel.

3) Nsiala should never be playing ahead of Chambers, Woolfenden or Wilson.
Agreed. Wolfenden should be first choice. It would be great to have another one of him to partner himself!

4) Skuse's legs have gone
Agreed. Not sure he was ever anywhere near superb though.

5) Judge should be ahead of two other central midfielders.
Not sure. Judge seems very slow and attempts too many impossible passes. Would like us to have a better attacking midfielder. I would love to see Dobra given the opportunity, if Bishop never makes it back.

6) We have to make substitutions earlier.
Totally agreed.

7) We really miss Chambers when he isn't there.
Agreed.

8) We need to play our best side EVERY WEEK.
Totally agreed. Best players in their best positions in the best system that suits them. Fundamental.

9) We are ill equipped to play long balls.
Totally agreed. We aim a hell of a lot of balls onto opposing central defenders heads, when we should be looking to play it down the channels through midfield.
Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 14:19 - Dec 27 with 1799 viewsHerbivore

I don't agree with number 5 but I think the others are fairly spot on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 14:19 - Dec 27 with 1803 viewsGerkensBeard

We can all see it my friend. Only Lambert that can’t. It’s so blatantly obvious to so many of us who have either played or watched football for many years. Every point of yours I agree with
Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 14:53 - Dec 27 with 1712 viewsbazgammon

I agree with practically all you have said. I have never rated Skuse and think its way past time that he was put out to grass but I think a fit Teddy Bishop or Judge alongside Downes is a best centre midfield combo. Huws works better on the left and is wasted in the middle, but Garbutt would be my preferred choice there unless hes LB. Other mistakes PR Paul has made are not playing the international break fixtures when we didnt really lose out with the rotation policy he works too. Letting Emmanuel go to Bolton for nothing. Was a big fan of JE, he was never given a far crack and while he wouldn't be in front of KVD, he is better than JD and TN and would be better back up but I suspect he felt he had no future given the way Hirst and Lambert treated him. Signing Tommy Smith and give Grant Ward a temporary deal might help shaw up some of the defence. Will Keane is a waste of space too, he is not the big target man we require.

Poll: Lambert

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:03 - Dec 27 with 1683 viewsHerbivore

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 14:53 - Dec 27 by bazgammon

I agree with practically all you have said. I have never rated Skuse and think its way past time that he was put out to grass but I think a fit Teddy Bishop or Judge alongside Downes is a best centre midfield combo. Huws works better on the left and is wasted in the middle, but Garbutt would be my preferred choice there unless hes LB. Other mistakes PR Paul has made are not playing the international break fixtures when we didnt really lose out with the rotation policy he works too. Letting Emmanuel go to Bolton for nothing. Was a big fan of JE, he was never given a far crack and while he wouldn't be in front of KVD, he is better than JD and TN and would be better back up but I suspect he felt he had no future given the way Hirst and Lambert treated him. Signing Tommy Smith and give Grant Ward a temporary deal might help shaw up some of the defence. Will Keane is a waste of space too, he is not the big target man we require.

I don't think Judge can play in a midfield two, he doesn't have the discipline. Huws playing on the left? He's a central midfielder, no idea why you'd want to play him on the left. Can't agree on Emmanuel either, he looked pony, and I'm not sure how Grant Ward would shore up our defence.

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:12 - Dec 27 with 1638 viewsJ2BLUE

Rotating the keepers is just so odd. Holy was excellent at the start of the season and made some vital saves. No idea why he isn't our number one.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:14 - Dec 27 with 1640 viewsDinnernotTea

Lambert accepting the job was the first thing he got wrong. God knows the criteria Evans was looking at. He's been a loser since 2012 and at 27% win record would be sacked at 91 other pro clubs. Doesn't know his arse from his elbow. And doesn't fear the sack one bit. A dangerous cocktail.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:16 - Dec 27 with 1631 viewsHerbivore

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:12 - Dec 27 by J2BLUE

Rotating the keepers is just so odd. Holy was excellent at the start of the season and made some vital saves. No idea why he isn't our number one.

Agreed. Holy has barely put a foot wrong and had mostly been very good. He's also our own player. Dropping him is crazy, especially as Norris isn't exactly a world beater. I thought he was incredibly shaky yesterday.

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:20 - Dec 27 with 1621 viewsIpswichKnight

I feel more secure with Holy in goal especially from corners and set pieces anything floated into the 6 yard box is just going to be grabbed and not even Ronaldo would be able to outjump him!

I doubt we will ever see this midfield but one of Lankester - Downes - El Miz - Dobra would be the most exciting midfield we would have put out in the last 20 years, if you add Sears and Jackson up front we would have pace, width, guile and creativity. Now I fully admit we WILL NEVER SEE this!
Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:40 - Dec 27 with 1580 viewsjas0999

I’d play our player in goal rather than a loan - so agree with you on the keeper situation.

In fact I don’t disagree with any of your comments with exception of Chambers. I’d play Wolf and Wilson. Chambers on the bench. Toto nowhere near the match day squad!
Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:49 - Dec 27 with 1558 viewsHerbivore

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:40 - Dec 27 by jas0999

I’d play our player in goal rather than a loan - so agree with you on the keeper situation.

In fact I don’t disagree with any of your comments with exception of Chambers. I’d play Wolf and Wilson. Chambers on the bench. Toto nowhere near the match day squad!

Wilson ahead of Chambers? That's crazy talk.

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:54 - Dec 27 with 1541 viewsjas0999

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:49 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

I would prefer we signed a new CB to be honest.
Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 16:08 - Dec 27 with 1507 viewspablovian

Which things do we generally agree Lambert has got wrong? on 15:49 - Dec 27 by Herbivore

I would play Chambers right now. However, he is slowing down. A CB succession issue is looming, and will become urgent if we get promoted.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024