Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An alternative - keep Lambert but give him some help? 11:08 - Dec 30 with 548 viewsclive_baker

I'm not sure if he would be too proud to have someone come in and work with him, but for me he seems to be completely lost tactically. He's done some bits right since he came in, so i'll give him credit where it's due, he seems to have cultivated a bit of a team spirit that was certainly lacking under his predecessor, and his work in the transfer market has been good generally (KVY & Norwood are good additions, although the latter appears out of shape right now, and I agreed with those he moved on in the summer - Adeyemi, Ward, Spence, Gerken, Emmanuel etc). I actually think he's got us into a good spot in terms of playing squad, and a nice blend of experience and youth. He's got bums on seats and he's generally said the right things in the press, and played his part in improving the atmosphere inside PR.

All that stuff is fine, but when push comes to shove he's appeared to be lacking from a technical and tactical perspective. I can't recall a single occasion where you could say we've really outfoxed an opponent. We've outclassed teams, but that can only take us so far. His comments like 'players are more important than tactics' etc worry me somewhat. Football's changed a lot in the last decade, and I'm not convinced he's got the nous to take us forward. His default appears to be to go behind and throw a striker on, hoping for the best. We've been undone tactically by seemingly more progressive and cerebral management (Coleman, Warne, Appleton) and we've had no answers to it in recent weeks as sides are getting wiser to us. I would love to be a fly on the dressing room wall to see how deep we go in that respect, my instinct is he's more huff and puff than anything else, and a 1 hour post match debrief of a few 'stick togethers', 'defend better' and 'work harders' is unlikely to change that. I guess that's fine if he has a #2 that he can lean on for the other side of things, but do we have than in Stuart Taylor? Jimmy Walker? Matt Gill? Lovely blokes I'm sure, but not a huge amount of pedigree between them.

I wonder if Lambert / Evans would be open to bringing someone in on a short term basis to work alongside him? Perhaps more of a technician with a few grey hairs. That would be my preference at this stage.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

An alternative - keep Lambert but give him some help? on 11:14 - Dec 30 with 529 viewsSteve_M

I'm not sure there's even a need for a different voice, it's more a case of him not over-complicating things. I don't think it's a coincidence that the heavy rotation of players, and change of systems, has followed the sparse schedule of matches in the Autumn.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

An alternative - keep Lambert but give him some help? on 11:19 - Dec 30 with 510 viewsclive_baker

An alternative - keep Lambert but give him some help? on 11:14 - Dec 30 by Steve_M

I'm not sure there's even a need for a different voice, it's more a case of him not over-complicating things. I don't think it's a coincidence that the heavy rotation of players, and change of systems, has followed the sparse schedule of matches in the Autumn.

That's definitely not helped, we lack cohesion and it's no surprise given we've not started the same side consecutively this season, it's bonkers. Beyond that we really seem to lack any identity and strategic direction on the pitch. Last season was a free hit for Lambert in terms of results, but in the year he's been here I really still don't know what he's implemented or tried to implement by way of style, or tactically. I can't tell you what we stand for. It appears to be Russian roulette week to week by way of selection and crossing our fingers that we've got a stronger side on paper and something clicks.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

An alternative - keep Lambert but give him some help? on 11:35 - Dec 30 with 472 viewsStadiumofdark

An alternative - keep Lambert but give him some help? on 11:19 - Dec 30 by clive_baker

That's definitely not helped, we lack cohesion and it's no surprise given we've not started the same side consecutively this season, it's bonkers. Beyond that we really seem to lack any identity and strategic direction on the pitch. Last season was a free hit for Lambert in terms of results, but in the year he's been here I really still don't know what he's implemented or tried to implement by way of style, or tactically. I can't tell you what we stand for. It appears to be Russian roulette week to week by way of selection and crossing our fingers that we've got a stronger side on paper and something clicks.

We seem to have a large unbalanced squad still.... and I couldn't tell you what formation it suits.

We have too many players, but no Left Back or "wingers".

It's a team game, we need "partnerships" on the pitch, but with 4 - 6 changes a game, and so many out of position / form, it's just a shambles.
An alternative - keep Lambert but give him some help? on 11:45 - Dec 30 with 440 viewsbournemouthblue

For me he has gone a bit Paul Jewell on the rotation of the back four

That's one area of the park where you need to develop a solid understanding. It's something that MM was far better at doing.

I know people don't like rotation but I think someone like Donacien actually benefited from the rotation with those extra cup games and Lambert learnt he was actually by no means a lost cause at least

I know people don't rate Kenlock but he seems a reasonable left back at this level to me

Earlier in the season, we offered more attacking threat from full back

I like Garbutt and he whips a decent ball in but he isn't an out and out left back for me

I'm not saying Kenlock is the long term answer but I'd like to see Garbutt moved back to the left wing with Kenlock behind him

I feel we play out from the back better with Kenlock in the team

Obviously we played out the back far better with KVY and he certainly looked different gravy when he came in

You just wonder if Evans gave Lambert a budget in January if he could locate another player or two like KVY without costing the earth

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

An alternative - keep Lambert but give him some help? on 12:15 - Dec 30 with 407 viewsreusersfreekicks

Completely agree withe the OP. Well said
An alternative - keep Lambert but give him some help? on 12:19 - Dec 30 with 401 viewsSteve_M

An alternative - keep Lambert but give him some help? on 11:19 - Dec 30 by clive_baker

No, that lack of coherence and organisation is incredibly frustrating.

Since we played Blackpool pretty much every opposing team has had, and played to, a better gameplan than us. In most cases it's more basic but the coherent approach has given them an advantage, negating the individually better players we do have.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024