Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jim Magilton on Twitter... 20:03 - Dec 30 with 9970 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

(No subject) on 11:25 - Dec 31 with 973 viewsDubtractor

"a low budget Roy Keane" on 10:10 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

I know, why did we then replace him with the high budget version? Totally pointless.

I think tactically Jim was better than Keane and certainly tried to get us playing passing football BUT......

Jim's obvious shortcomings in terms of being pretty volatile were certainly not going to be improved by Keane!
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 11:28]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Exactly the same for me on 11:26 - Dec 31 with 967 viewsDyland

literal lollers on 07:26 - Dec 31 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

There’s half a point there however there is a slight difference in that one of those managers was a club legend and therefore deserving of much better treatment. Personally I think Magilton’s time was up, we hadn’t kicked in after Evans came in and he didn’t look capable of taking us further, however there was absolutely a right way of going about it and treatment by the press and a section of the fanbase was out of order IMO

That said despite being critical of Lambert I would also agree some of the current treatment is OTT. This correspondent is firmly in the not campaigning for him to leave but would be somewhat nonplussed if he went camp, currently

nft

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

literal lollers on 11:29 - Dec 31 with 952 viewsSwansea_Blue

literal lollers on 21:50 - Dec 30 by Bluefish

All completely true and I will will always stand by my defence for Jim

I went out on a limb to shout f*ck off Lambert as well at the weekend at end of the match. I expected to get a slap for it but no one said a word.

Burley - treated terribly at the end, legend
Royle - massively over hyped, should be castigated for what he did to us but isn't
Magilton - treated disgracefully
keane - how he got away with it is beyond me. Should have been abused out of PR but was loved
Jewell - indifferent really. Probably got the reaction
McCarthy - treated disgracefully at the end
Hurst - ridiculously over hyped before he'd done a thing
Lambert - see Hurst and keane

What did Joe do wrong? Had us playing some half decent time when we couldn’t make signings, bringing through some youth players and getting more out of them than anyone could afterwards. I thought he did a good job at a difficult time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:35 - Dec 31 with 934 viewsPhilTWTD

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 20:33 - Dec 30 by Oxford_Blue

Just shows how far we have fallen.

Magilton was sacked for coming 7th/8th in division we can now only look at as being a long long way off.

We were ninth but 12 points off the play-offs having had one of the biggest budgets in the division. As much as Jim is a great hero and a big figure in the club's history and it was all very sad, I think most felt it was time to move on. Although obviously the next appointee was a big mistep, probably the biggest mistep in the club's history.
Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:39 - Dec 31 with 916 viewschicoazul

If we do get rid of Lambo I hope we give Jim his old job back.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:40 - Dec 31 with 910 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:39 - Dec 31 by chicoazul

Midfield marshal? Yep, it’d be an improvement even now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:41 - Dec 31 with 908 viewschicoazul

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 07:48 - Dec 31 by Steve_M

Average is kind to Deckchair but, yes in hindsight, Hunt was the one with the agenda all the way through. He's still there on Twitter calling out Lambert as he did McCarthy but he was too scared to criticise Keane.

Deckchair's webchats were a highlight of Monday lunchtimes with a collective TWTD effort to be challenging.

The arrival of Evans, and the change in attitudes that his money brought, was really quite unpleasant though. It was such a missed opportunity both for Magilton initially and then when Keane replaced him.

Jim seems to imply Hunt had a problem with Bryan Klug. Any def info on this TWTD?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Indeed Stevers on 11:43 - Dec 31 with 895 viewschicoazul

Indeed Stevers on 09:52 - Dec 31 by Dyland

Didn't DDD get really cross with the good folk of TWTD "derailing" his sh1te webchats?
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 10:10]

Yes he did and I think it was part of the reason he left the paper to go "freelance" haha.

Login to get fewer ads

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:45 - Dec 31 with 887 viewschicoazul

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:35 - Dec 31 by PhilTWTD

We were ninth but 12 points off the play-offs having had one of the biggest budgets in the division. As much as Jim is a great hero and a big figure in the club's history and it was all very sad, I think most felt it was time to move on. Although obviously the next appointee was a big mistep, probably the biggest mistep in the club's history.

Banter Era Nov 2007 - date true highlight is indeed replacing Jim (who had to go) with Keane who was and is completely insane.

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:51 - Dec 31 with 873 viewsmr_bean

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 20:45 - Dec 30 by jeera

I'm stuck on "Tuesday night mates".

And the Klug reference.

Me too. Klug was Jim's assistant manager wasn't he?

Is he saying the Klug betrayed Jim somehow (for example, by feeding Hunt with insider info), or is he saying that Hunt had an agenda against Jim because he didn't like Klug?
Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:52 - Dec 31 with 861 viewsmonty_radio

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:39 - Dec 31 by chicoazul

.... and recover Sheepy's socks which were, as I recall, "blown off" the first time around.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:56 - Dec 31 with 849 viewschicoazul

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:52 - Dec 31 by monty_radio

.... and recover Sheepy's socks which were, as I recall, "blown off" the first time around.

I saw Jim at the little shopping arcade next to Liverpool St station with his kids in early summer 2006 and drunkenly shouted at him from across the way "apply for the job Jim" and he gave me the thumbs up & a smile and so I basically got him the job.

literal lollers on 11:58 - Dec 31 with 843 viewspatrickswell

literal lollers on 21:56 - Dec 30 by Bluefish

He was the luckiest ever Ipswich manager with what he inherited and what came up through the youth system. He wasted it and replaced with the worst ever, his signings make Hurst look like a top scout. One of the few he got right Kuqi he tried to release on a free transfer

Those would be the riches that he was forced to sell on due to administration, I’m guessing. An administration brought about by the complete feck up that happened under Burley’s last year at the club. A legend I agree, but he, Sheepshanks and the 2001-02 squad were responsible for firing the gun and causing the wound that we’ve bled out from ever since.

Your tunnel vision in using 2005-06 as the benchmark of Royle’s era is as bad as those who view McCarthy’s time here through the prism of the 2016-17 season.
Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 12:12 - Dec 31 with 820 viewsTractorCam

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:22 - Dec 31 by MalcolmBlue

Last time we beat the scum was with Magic in charge wasn't it?

Yep, his last game before being sacked.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 12:12 - Dec 31 with 821 viewsJ2BLUE

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 06:41 - Dec 31 by brogansnose

I hope them fkwits are happy now. I stood opposite that pathetic demo that night weighing up whether to clock some of the vermin but decided against.

What would we give for another Magilton in that team now ?

It would have been better for us and Jim if he'd gone to manage Oxford, which he was at the time, learnt his trade, then come back to us.

Love you Jim.

Did they have that much of an impact? I remember walking towards them as they started a Magilton out chant but by the time I had walked past it had been hijacked into a Super Jim chant.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 12:15 - Dec 31 with 815 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 12:12 - Dec 31 by TractorCam

Yep, his last game before being sacked.

Never mind this right back rubbish, that’s a real curse right there

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 12:19 - Dec 31 with 801 viewsHerbivore

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 12:15 - Dec 31 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Never mind this right back rubbish, that’s a real curse right there

When the otherwise excellent Bart and Webster had brain farts that led to them equalising in the 96th minute I resigned myself to the fact we'll never beat them again in my lifetime.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 12:20 - Dec 31 with 799 viewsSteve_M

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 12:12 - Dec 31 by J2BLUE

Did they have that much of an impact? I remember walking towards them as they started a Magilton out chant but by the time I had walked past it had been hijacked into a Super Jim chant.

It depends if you define people pointing and laughing as much of an impact.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 13:12 - Dec 31 with 733 viewsbournemouthblue

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 20:07 - Dec 30 by SitfcB

Sorry, assume it’s in reply to this.

Stat and Moss at it

I think the problem started when we loaned Gio for example

It gave fans a false sense of what was to come with Evans supposed wealth

Loanees of that calibre suggested we were perhaps under performing

I always felt Magilton lost the plot when Evans came in

We had a virtually perfect home season where we were unplayable but we targeted the wrong players in the transfer window

There were obvious goalscorers available like Lita, Earnshaw, Morrison, Ellington and even someone like Iwelumo who would have been a logical targetman to replace Lee but he went for Nugent who hated us and Charisteas among others totally bizarrely

He fell out with Harding which ruined our balance, he played Gary Roberts and/or Billy Clarke on the left wing which wasn't ideal but far more effective and balanced than sticking poor Alan Quinn out there

He certainly made mistakes and he may have ironed them out

Careful what you wish for indeed

The expectations went through the roof with Evans though and in the early years we did have a golden opportunity to make it to the Premier League

It was a long way back after that

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 13:12 - Dec 31 with 740 viewspatrickswell

Have to come to the defence of those who protested against Magilton in 2008-09. The post-Magilton Ipswich has been very poor, McCarthy apart, but the orthodoxy at the time was money = Top 6 finish and Jim blew it. Others blew it worse agreed, but Jim was given good financial backing and we continued to underperform.

Reading back people’s memories shows one of the least appealing aspects of our fanbase, at least on this message board. Namely, dissent will not be tolerated. “Unhappy about what’s going on at the club? Shut up or you’ll get punched!” “Don’t be beastly to our millionaire owner! Buythe club yourself!”. It’s an attitude which has played its part in our decline, made all the more stark by people telling me that if anyone booed at a game last season then they would be even more responsible for our relegation than anyone connected with the club.

Well, you’ve got your club back now. And it looks fecking terrible.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 13:16]
Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 13:20 - Dec 31 with 722 viewsjas0999

Referring to the EADT agenda to get rid of him.
Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 13:20 - Dec 31 with 1171 viewspatrickswell

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 12:19 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

When the otherwise excellent Bart and Webster had brain farts that led to them equalising in the 96th minute I resigned myself to the fact we'll never beat them again in my lifetime.

Did Webster have a brain fart? Somebody should have been tracking Grant Hanley as he made the run into our box because he had a several yards start on everyone else including Bart.
Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 13:24 - Dec 31 with 1150 viewsHerbivore

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 13:20 - Dec 31 by patrickswell

Did Webster have a brain fart? Somebody should have been tracking Grant Hanley as he made the run into our box because he had a several yards start on everyone else including Bart.

Webster definitely switched off, which compounded Bart's initial brain fart.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Oh pleeease, Swellers on 14:45 - Dec 31 with 1102 viewsDyland

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 13:12 - Dec 31 by patrickswell

Have to come to the defence of those who protested against Magilton in 2008-09. The post-Magilton Ipswich has been very poor, McCarthy apart, but the orthodoxy at the time was money = Top 6 finish and Jim blew it. Others blew it worse agreed, but Jim was given good financial backing and we continued to underperform.

Reading back people’s memories shows one of the least appealing aspects of our fanbase, at least on this message board. Namely, dissent will not be tolerated. “Unhappy about what’s going on at the club? Shut up or you’ll get punched!” “Don’t be beastly to our millionaire owner! Buythe club yourself!”. It’s an attitude which has played its part in our decline, made all the more stark by people telling me that if anyone booed at a game last season then they would be even more responsible for our relegation than anyone connected with the club.

To your first point, all true, but most are commenting on the classless way Magilton was treated rather than whether we should change manager. Keane and Jewell had nowhere near the same.

The second point is just bollix. Were you not there for the Evans you're a canute chants? Yeh I know it's worse at other clubs but ITFC has always had a tolerant and sleepy fanbase. Evans has had more discontent thrown his way than any other owner put together. I agree it's still pretty pathetic (I mean if you're gonna riot, follow the French model rather than the English peasantry, we're feeble).

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 17:43 - Dec 31 with 1024 viewsjeera

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 13:12 - Dec 31 by patrickswell

"Well, you’ve got your club back now. And it looks fecking terrible."

Those who didn't want the better managers driven out have "got their club back"?

That doesn't tally at all and is a prime example of projection.

That is all about face that one.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024