Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jim Magilton on Twitter... 20:03 - Dec 30 with 9968 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Oh pleeease, Swellers on 18:11 - Dec 31 with 1415 viewssparks

Oh pleeease, Swellers on 14:45 - Dec 31 by Dyland

To your first point, all true, but most are commenting on the classless way Magilton was treated rather than whether we should change manager. Keane and Jewell had nowhere near the same.

The second point is just bollix. Were you not there for the Evans you're a canute chants? Yeh I know it's worse at other clubs but ITFC has always had a tolerant and sleepy fanbase. Evans has had more discontent thrown his way than any other owner put together. I agree it's still pretty pathetic (I mean if you're gonna riot, follow the French model rather than the English peasantry, we're feeble).

There was a really good article on DD's efforts vis a vis Magilton in TWTD printed version at the time.

Regrettably I have lost my copy, else I would enjoy reminscing over such a wonderfully written piece, and DD's reaction to it!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 18:25 - Dec 31 with 1402 viewspatrickswell

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 17:43 - Dec 31 by jeera

"Well, you’ve got your club back now. And it looks fecking terrible."

Those who didn't want the better managers driven out have "got their club back"?

That doesn't tally at all and is a prime example of projection.

That is all about face that one.

Not quite. Under Evans, I would argue that we’ve only had two “better managers”: McCarthy and Magilton. However, the circumstances in which they worked were very different. Magilton’s results were inconsistent without money through his first season and a half. He was given substantial backing through his next season and a half...and results remained inconsistent. After three seasons of inconsistency and poor use of transfer funds, it wasn’t surprising that fans would get impatient and start agitating for change. But those who felt unhappy enough to actually register their displeasure at this were ridiculed and abused.

If you didn’t want McCarthy to go then, I salute you. I felt for him because unlike Magilton, he was hamstrung in terms of the money that he could use. But I recognise that the frustrations fans had with McCarthy were different from those that fans had with Magilton in 2008-09.
Oh pleeease, Swellers on 18:32 - Dec 31 with 1392 viewspatrickswell

Oh pleeease, Swellers on 14:45 - Dec 31 by Dyland

To your first point, all true, but most are commenting on the classless way Magilton was treated rather than whether we should change manager. Keane and Jewell had nowhere near the same.

The second point is just bollix. Were you not there for the Evans you're a canute chants? Yeh I know it's worse at other clubs but ITFC has always had a tolerant and sleepy fanbase. Evans has had more discontent thrown his way than any other owner put together. I agree it's still pretty pathetic (I mean if you're gonna riot, follow the French model rather than the English peasantry, we're feeble).

Oh, I can imagine that Keane and Jewell got it worse than Jim did given that if failure continues to perpetuate itself long enough, eventually you lose hope altogether. I vividly remember feeling that heavy defeats under Jewell were the new normal after the lengthy runs of defeats under him and Keane.

McCarthy brought back genuine hope and belief over his first couple of years, They were much forgotten qualities back in 2012, just as they are now.
Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 19:12 - Dec 31 with 1358 viewsbournemouthblue

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 11:35 - Dec 31 by PhilTWTD

We were ninth but 12 points off the play-offs having had one of the biggest budgets in the division. As much as Jim is a great hero and a big figure in the club's history and it was all very sad, I think most felt it was time to move on. Although obviously the next appointee was a big mistep, probably the biggest mistep in the club's history.

That's pretty much my thoughts on it too Phil

We are rewriting history a little bit not to say this wasn't a very disappointing following up to the season before where we missed out on the playoffs on the final day

We really should have kicked on

Jon Stead was about his 5th choice striker who he got in to replace Lee, he was an okay a striker but simply not a targetman and we failed to kick on when the opportunity was there

Instead of doing the obvious of signing a decent left winger and maybe a central midfielder

He paid twice the money we needed to for Norris, got in the Macedonian Stephen Gerrard in Shumi who I quite liked, brought in Alan Quinn who was a good player but shoed him into playing on the left wing and did we get Macauley then or failed to land him until the summer?

Trying the rush these players into the side, our unstoppable home form was halted

We played some blinding stuff in the first half of that season, we pulverised Bristol City I believe?

Magic then missed the mark in the summer with a poor transfer window imho

Getting Gio later on in that season was a false dawn, people suddenly thought we were going to bring in players of that calibre more regularly. He was different gravy.

I believe Magilton addressed the crowd with a rousing speech after the nearly season which was on YouTube at some point. I'm sure it shared on here at some point.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 19:17 - Dec 31 with 1344 viewsRadlett_blue

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 19:12 - Dec 31 by bournemouthblue

We are rewriting history a little bit not to say this wasn't a very disappointing following up to the season before where we missed out on the playoffs on the final day

Jon Stead was about his 5th choice striker who he got in to replace Lee, he was an okay a striker but simply not a targetman and we failed to kick on when the opportunity was there

Instead of doing the obvious of signing a decent left winger and maybe a central midfielder

He paid twice the money we needed to for Norris, got in the Macedonian Stephen Gerrard in Shumi who I quite liked, brought in Alan Quinn who was a good player but shoed him into playing on the left wing and did we get Macauley then or failed to land him until the summer?

Trying the rush these players into the side, our unstoppable home form was halted

We played some blinding stuff in the first half of that season, we pulverised Bristol City I believe?

Getting Gio later on in that season was a false dawn, people suddenly thought we were going to bring in players of that calibre more regularly. He was different gravy.

I believe Magilton addressed the crowd with a rousing speech after the nearly season which was on YouTube at some point. I'm sure it shared on here at some point.

Jim brought in McCauley in the summer of 2008. He was a good signing, but not instantly appreciated by supporters.
I agree people are being revisionist & starry-eyed about Jim's tenure. That 3rd season was a bitter disappointment after Jim had good money to spend and made the team worse. I didn't disagree when Evans pulled the trigger. The only problem was that he appointed Keane & after initially correctly saying that Town were only 2-3 players short of a promotion team, Keane turned the team inside out. I had early trepidation when his central midfield on the opening day was Jaime Peters & Liam Trotter.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 19:24 - Dec 31 with 1335 viewssparks

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 19:17 - Dec 31 by Radlett_blue

Jim brought in McCauley in the summer of 2008. He was a good signing, but not instantly appreciated by supporters.
I agree people are being revisionist & starry-eyed about Jim's tenure. That 3rd season was a bitter disappointment after Jim had good money to spend and made the team worse. I didn't disagree when Evans pulled the trigger. The only problem was that he appointed Keane & after initially correctly saying that Town were only 2-3 players short of a promotion team, Keane turned the team inside out. I had early trepidation when his central midfield on the opening day was Jaime Peters & Liam Trotter.

A disappointment, with a top half finish and a team playing decent football.

Who knows where we might have been now but for the green crayon brigade.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 20:56 - Dec 31 with 1282 viewsSwailsey

I loved Jim as a player, he was very nice when I met him as a 16 year old and he was treated absolutely horrendously by some of our ‘fans’ and the local media. Vile it was.

However, he did have to go - the final season of his was so, so rank. I remember going to Bramall Lane towards the end of his time here and it being one of the most pointless, boring and depressing town sides I have ever seen. Not even crap. Just so, so dull.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 09:31 - Jan 1 with 1178 viewsTractorboy24

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 19:24 - Dec 31 by sparks

A disappointment, with a top half finish and a team playing decent football.

Who knows where we might have been now but for the green crayon brigade.

To finish outside the playoffs with the large budget we had at the time was a disappointment, and the football that season had turned turgid and poor.

I wasn’t one for campaigning to change the manager, but it was time for a change.

The issue has been how things were done and who replaced him as manager, much like the end of McCarthy’s time here.
Login to get fewer ads

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 09:50 - Jan 1 with 1155 viewsHerbivore

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 09:31 - Jan 1 by Tractorboy24

To finish outside the playoffs with the large budget we had at the time was a disappointment, and the football that season had turned turgid and poor.

I wasn’t one for campaigning to change the manager, but it was time for a change.

The issue has been how things were done and who replaced him as manager, much like the end of McCarthy’s time here.

Yeah, I think people are looking back on Jim's last season with rose-tinted specs. We played some really turgid football that season and struggled to buy a win at home at times despite having invested heavily in the squad. It was right for him to go, he wasn't the man to take us up.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 10:07 - Jan 1 with 1137 viewsTractorboy24

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 09:50 - Jan 1 by Herbivore

Yeah, I think people are looking back on Jim's last season with rose-tinted specs. We played some really turgid football that season and struggled to buy a win at home at times despite having invested heavily in the squad. It was right for him to go, he wasn't the man to take us up.

I wonder if the appointment of John Gorman as assistant may have guided Magilton more in the summer transfer window in 2009, but that’s the only way I could have seen things improving that year.
Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 10:34 - Jan 1 with 1107 viewssparks

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 19:12 - Dec 31 by bournemouthblue

We did sign a left winger- he got badly injured.

It was unfortunate- we struggled away the season before, and he shifted the balance and achieved morre away success- but at the expense of the football and home record. He could see that and i am sure would have re-balanced for the following season. We could be somewhere very different now. The eventual position that season reflected, to an extent, the inevitable faling away in results once it was clear we would not hit the playoffs.

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 10:37 - Jan 1 with 1084 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 10:34 - Jan 1 by sparks

We did sign a left winger- he got badly injured.

It was unfortunate- we struggled away the season before, and he shifted the balance and achieved morre away success- but at the expense of the football and home record. He could see that and i am sure would have re-balanced for the following season. We could be somewhere very different now. The eventual position that season reflected, to an extent, the inevitable faling away in results once it was clear we would not hit the playoffs.

Results never really fell away, we were inconsistent throughout. We actually gained more points in the second half of the season than we did in the first, in fact

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 10:40 - Jan 1 with 1078 viewssparks

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 10:37 - Jan 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Results never really fell away, we were inconsistent throughout. We actually gained more points in the second half of the season than we did in the first, in fact

That does not refute the point made. We were in touch with the playoffs until the latter stages, and then unsurprisingly tailed off further once they were out of reach.

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 10:52 - Jan 1 with 1053 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 10:40 - Jan 1 by sparks

That does not refute the point made. We were in touch with the playoffs until the latter stages, and then unsurprisingly tailed off further once they were out of reach.

No we didn’t. On 27 Feb we were 3 points from the playoffs - we then lost our next 2 before going unbeaten for 5 games. It was 11 April that the playoffs became out of reach - following which we drew 1 and won 3 of our games to close out the season

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 10:58 - Jan 1 with 1045 viewsHerbivore

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 10:52 - Jan 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No we didn’t. On 27 Feb we were 3 points from the playoffs - we then lost our next 2 before going unbeaten for 5 games. It was 11 April that the playoffs became out of reach - following which we drew 1 and won 3 of our games to close out the season

Looking forward to seeing how Sparks claims this doesn't refute his point.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 12:10 - Jan 1 with 997 viewssundaze

Jim Magilton on Twitter... on 09:50 - Jan 1 by Herbivore

Should have gone with Tony Mowbray.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024