Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GE maps by age group 22:30 - Dec 30 with 5965 viewsSouperJim

Quite shocked by this, I expected a general trend towards labour the younger the voter, but the extent of the divide is massive.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-map-uk-young-old-voter

Essentially voters under 50 = labour landslide, voters over 50 = tory landslide

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

GE maps by age group on 22:35 - Dec 30 with 3512 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Very much so. It was the most notable difference on the analysis I saw. Most other demographics were a consistent majority to the Conservatives in keeping with the actual result and that includes on income brackets.

This suggests the Labour policies were popular with those under 50. The question is how long that would take to make those policies effective in winning an election because I don't think they are generally ones that would change as we reach 50+.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

GE maps by age group on 22:37 - Dec 30 with 3504 viewsSarge

Is it any wonder those of us under 50, and even more so those of us under 25 feel completely abandoned, alienated and not represented?

I’ve been eligible to vote since 2012 and nothing I’ve ever voted for has happened.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 22:37]
GE maps by age group on 22:44 - Dec 30 with 3474 viewsNthsuffolkblue

GE maps by age group on 22:37 - Dec 30 by Sarge

Is it any wonder those of us under 50, and even more so those of us under 25 feel completely abandoned, alienated and not represented?

I’ve been eligible to vote since 2012 and nothing I’ve ever voted for has happened.

The biggest problem with democracy. There are always more people who vote and don't get what they vote for than who do (aside from the referendum and I think even then the final analysis will not be what a significant proportion thought they were going to get).

But what system is better? It is certainly better than a dictatorship.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

GE maps by age group on 23:02 - Dec 30 with 3427 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Thems the breaks.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

GE maps by age group on 23:11 - Dec 30 with 3411 viewsOldsmoker

Political parties only 'care' about us in the 6 weeks before a GE because they want our vote.
It's a harsh lesson to learn but a necessary one.
No-one is going to look after your interests but yourself.

What's the point of voting I hear you ask. In 1997 there was the "Portillo moment". A stuck-up priveleged tory MP lost his huge majority and his seat to a grinning Labour youngster. The look on Portillos face when he realised he'd lost is one of the reasons it's worth voting.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

GE maps by age group on 01:01 - Dec 31 with 3330 viewsClareBlue

So if the policies of equity of health care and education along with better working conditions and less environmental exposure to pollutants are implemted and we end up with longer life expectancy, all we are doing is creating more Conservative voters?
The real question is, of course, why the disconnect between genrations.
The tax paying base that might be threatened by some policies is not really in the retired generation but more the established tax payers around 45, who have not rejected the policies of Labour. Our older friends are pretty settled and no Labour policy really said it was going to hit them, so why the complete rejection by the older generation? Any ideas?
GE maps by age group on 01:29 - Dec 31 with 3301 viewsSarge

GE maps by age group on 22:44 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

The biggest problem with democracy. There are always more people who vote and don't get what they vote for than who do (aside from the referendum and I think even then the final analysis will not be what a significant proportion thought they were going to get).

But what system is better? It is certainly better than a dictatorship.

Democracy, whilst crap, is made more crap by FPTP. At least PR would give some semblance of representation.

I would hope that this generation of young people, when they grow up won’t forget the ideals of fairness and tolerance and slip to the right. There’s some adage about voting labour when young and Tory when old. Let’s hope we buck that trend.

Edit: although I guess I’ve bucked it the other way because I didn’t vote for labour.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 1:31]
GE maps by age group on 02:13 - Dec 31 with 3277 viewsbournemouthblue

Ultimately the older voters tend to vote in greater numbers and are far more fiercely against Labour than the younger group against the Tories

I believe it was similar with Brexit, wasn't it something like 90% of the 75+ age group who voted to leave?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

GE maps by age group on 06:56 - Dec 31 with 3220 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

No one has ever mentioned this before

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

GE maps by age group on 08:16 - Dec 31 with 3172 viewsmeekreech

GE maps by age group on 01:01 - Dec 31 by ClareBlue

So if the policies of equity of health care and education along with better working conditions and less environmental exposure to pollutants are implemted and we end up with longer life expectancy, all we are doing is creating more Conservative voters?
The tax paying base that might be threatened by some policies is not really in the retired generation but more the established tax payers around 45, who have not rejected the policies of Labour. Our older friends are pretty settled and no Labour policy really said it was going to hit them, so why the complete rejection by the older generation? Any ideas?

The main reason for this is we have lived through previous labour governments who followed the same policies and the country ended up at a standstill due to workers striking for increased pay to cover the increased prices and lower take home pay due to increased taxes!The country was full of uncollected garbage, laying around in the streets, and the trade unions were driving government policies! The uk then had to crawl to the IMF for funds to pay its bills. Having lived through it before the older generation do not want to go there again for the harm it causes the people.

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

GE maps by age group on 08:24 - Dec 31 with 3152 viewsjeera

GE maps by age group on 08:16 - Dec 31 by meekreech

The main reason for this is we have lived through previous labour governments who followed the same policies and the country ended up at a standstill due to workers striking for increased pay to cover the increased prices and lower take home pay due to increased taxes!The country was full of uncollected garbage, laying around in the streets, and the trade unions were driving government policies! The uk then had to crawl to the IMF for funds to pay its bills. Having lived through it before the older generation do not want to go there again for the harm it causes the people.

Well that's some made-up bollox.

It only takes a few million misinformed like you, repeating this rubbish, and we can see how it went the way it did.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

GE maps by age group on 08:26 - Dec 31 with 3146 viewsjeera

GE maps by age group on 01:01 - Dec 31 by ClareBlue

Any ideas?

Yes, nostalgia, a desperate need to still feel relevant and a refusal to accept the world is trying to move forwards.

Trouble is, by the time they're no longer 'relevant' the damage has been done.

GE maps by age group on 08:33 - Dec 31 with 3125 viewsPinewoodblue

Generally speaking as you age your political views seem to move to the right. When Labour move significantly to the left they are inevitably heading for defeat.

Labour need to address two issues. Their membership no longer reflects the views of traditional Labour voters, and secondly they didn’t manage to get the younger voter to vote.

All the Tories had to do was keep their support from 2017 and they were sure to win. The size of th3 majority is a problem going forward for Labour as they are likely to need two elections to overcome it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

GE maps by age group on 08:43 - Dec 31 with 3098 viewsLeaky

you nailed it
GE maps by age group on 08:47 - Dec 31 with 3082 viewsjeera

GE maps by age group on 08:43 - Dec 31 by Leaky

you nailed it

No, he didn't.

Stop encouraging this nonsense.

GE maps by age group on 08:57 - Dec 31 with 3057 viewsLeaky

GE maps by age group on 08:47 - Dec 31 by jeera

No, he didn't.

Stop encouraging this nonsense.

Perhaps you cant remember the 60's & 70's then. Red Robbo bringing British Leyland to a stand still nearly every day. The dead not being buried during the Winter of Discontent. Oh yes great days. At least the music cheered us up.
GE maps by age group on 09:00 - Dec 31 with 3047 viewsGuthrum

Altho that really only covers a few months of a weak Labour government struggling in the wake of the global oil price crisis and consequent inflation. A situation which started during Heath's preceding Conservative administration (coal strike, three-day week) and continued well into the start of Thatcher's time (wasn't until about 1984 or '85 that things picked up).

Wilson's first gov't wasn't plagued by strikes, neither were Blair or Attlee.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:04 - Dec 31 with 3038 viewsPinewoodblue

2023 year of destiny

GE maps by age group on 09:08 - Dec 31 with 3031 viewsGuthrum

GE maps by age group on 08:57 - Dec 31 by Leaky

Perhaps you cant remember the 60's & 70's then. Red Robbo bringing British Leyland to a stand still nearly every day. The dead not being buried during the Winter of Discontent. Oh yes great days. At least the music cheered us up.

I can (just about) remember queues to buy fuel. Power cuts. Both under Heath - but as much due to the global oil crisis as anything he'd done. Wilson 2, Callaghan and early Thatcher were all afflicted by the same thing (you can't pretend everything suddenly got better in 1979).

I'm not a fan of rampant union power either, but it's selective to blame all of that on Labour, who only had a tiny parliamentary majority. We've seen recently how debilitating that can be to good government.

GE maps by age group on 10:20 - Dec 31 with 2957 viewsNo9

I was working in the 60' & 70's
You're taking your info from the Mail / Telegraph NOT what actually happened
GE maps by age group on 10:32 - Dec 31 with 2932 viewsOldsmoker

For music, the 60's were OK but the 70's it was rubbish disco.
This is how I remember disco.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

GE maps by age group on 10:39 - Dec 31 with 2919 viewsBlueForYou

Spot on! I was going to say exactly the same. Oh & the reason Blair never had strikes was because Thatcher made them illegal. I was brought up in the 70's & Labour brought this country to its knees. It was generally worse than what you read. Strikes, strikes, strikes, for very little reason. 3 day working week, power cuts, rubbish went uncollected for months at one stage. We were a laughing stock throughout the world. Labour went on throughout the 80's with loony left wing councils creating the same chaos. Inhad enough & went to live in Australia!
GE maps by age group on 10:53 - Dec 31 with 2889 viewsNo9

GE maps by age group on 10:39 - Dec 31 by BlueForYou

Spot on! I was going to say exactly the same. Oh & the reason Blair never had strikes was because Thatcher made them illegal. I was brought up in the 70's & Labour brought this country to its knees. It was generally worse than what you read. Strikes, strikes, strikes, for very little reason. 3 day working week, power cuts, rubbish went uncollected for months at one stage. We were a laughing stock throughout the world. Labour went on throughout the 80's with loony left wing councils creating the same chaos. Inhad enough & went to live in Australia!

You missed the 80's then- Lucky you
GE maps by age group on 10:57 - Dec 31 with 2880 viewsPinewoodblue

GE maps by age group on 09:08 - Dec 31 by Guthrum

I can (just about) remember queues to buy fuel. Power cuts. Both under Heath - but as much due to the global oil crisis as anything he'd done. Wilson 2, Callaghan and early Thatcher were all afflicted by the same thing (you can't pretend everything suddenly got better in 1979).

I'm not a fan of rampant union power either, but it's selective to blame all of that on Labour, who only had a tiny parliamentary majority. We've seen recently how debilitating that can be to good government.

I've queued for fuel in France and Ireland but the only times I can recall doing so in the UK is on budget day if Petrol went up 1d a gallon at 6pm.

I do remember being issued with a ration book for fuel though.

2023 year of destiny

GE maps by age group on 11:01 - Dec 31 with 2861 viewsGuthrum

GE maps by age group on 10:39 - Dec 31 by BlueForYou

3 Day Week and power cuts both under Heath's Conservative government in 1974.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024