Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley 16:19 - Dec 31 with 3235 viewsGeoffSentence

What other players have we bought on the strength of their performances against us.

Jon Walters was one I know
Wasn't Aaron Creswell another?

There must be some more.

Those two at least worked out pretty well.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:22 - Dec 31 with 2740 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I would suggest that at least one of Diallo, Santos and Thetis was. (Can't recall which and don't care but the idea we thumped long ball after long ball into a box that a defender lapped up all day and we bought them off the back of it and that was all they were good at sticks in my mind.)

A different equivalence would be in buying a key players from a promotion rival … Marcus Stewart?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:23 - Dec 31 with 2738 viewsbrogansnose

Gary Roberts ?
in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:25 - Dec 31 with 2723 viewsGeoffSentence

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:23 - Dec 31 by brogansnose

Gary Roberts ?

Dont think so, I am sure we got him from Accrington and I am also pretty sure we hadn't played them until the FA Cup game last season.

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:26 - Dec 31 with 2719 viewsRadlett_blue

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:22 - Dec 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

I would suggest that at least one of Diallo, Santos and Thetis was. (Can't recall which and don't care but the idea we thumped long ball after long ball into a box that a defender lapped up all day and we bought them off the back of it and that was all they were good at sticks in my mind.)

A different equivalence would be in buying a key players from a promotion rival … Marcus Stewart?

Thetis had never played against Town.
Santos would have been well known to Joe Royle. The only problem was that Joe tried to play him in midfield but he worked out after about 1 game that he was far too immobile.
Diallo was OK as a big lump of a defender at Burnley but he was utterly hopeless when played at full back, with Matthew Etherington tormenting him in the play offs.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:27 - Dec 31 with 2712 viewsPendejo

Kevin Wilson from Derby
Marcus Stewart from Huddersfield

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:28 - Dec 31 with 2705 viewsRonFearonsHair

Pretty sure Holland and Hreiðarsson played against us in the League Cup for Bournemouth and Brentford respectively. Back in the day that those clubs were comfortably a league or two below us of course...
in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:29 - Dec 31 with 2703 viewsGeoffSentence

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:22 - Dec 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Could it have been Jason De Vos? I recall him having a performance like that for Wigan against us. Poor old Pablo had no chance with the high balls we lumped up onto De Vos' head. I don't recall how soon after we got him though.

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:31 - Dec 31 with 2681 viewsGeoffSentence

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:27 - Dec 31 by Pendejo

Kevin Wilson from Derby
Marcus Stewart from Huddersfield

Two other decent purchases, this is obviously the way to find a player.

Login to get fewer ads

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:32 - Dec 31 with 2682 viewsradiogaga

Albeit not as a player, Evans essentially hired Paul Jewell as manager based on a CV that included pipping us to automatic promotion twice with different clubs.

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 16:33 - Dec 31 with 2666 viewsWonky

Webster, I think.
in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 17:24 - Dec 31 with 2510 viewsTractorboy24

Would McGreal be put in that category after he scored a winning own goal for us when playing for Tranmere in the FA Cup?
in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 17:42 - Dec 31 with 2472 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:05 - Dec 31 with 2428 viewsmarchy

Kieffer Moore.
in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:33 - Dec 31 with 2391 viewsGeoffSentence

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:05 - Dec 31 by marchy

Kieffer Moore.

Nah, that one surely doesn't count.

He came on as a substitute against us twice, playing a grand total of 73 minutes over those two games, four years before we signed him. So unless we were incredibly patient and intent on getting our man I am going to say we didn't sign him on the basis of his performances against us.

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:34 - Dec 31 with 2386 viewsReuser_is_God

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:33 - Dec 31 by GeoffSentence

Nah, that one surely doesn't count.

He came on as a substitute against us twice, playing a grand total of 73 minutes over those two games, four years before we signed him. So unless we were incredibly patient and intent on getting our man I am going to say we didn't sign him on the basis of his performances against us.

Mick did cite this appearances against us when he signed.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 18:34]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:35 - Dec 31 with 2376 viewsGeoffSentence

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:34 - Dec 31 by Reuser_is_God

Mick did cite this appearances against us when he signed.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 18:34]

Well then, in that case, I take it back. What a patient and determined man Mick was.

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:46 - Dec 31 with 2343 viewsBlueBadger

Nicky Forster always used to score against us, I recall.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:52 - Dec 31 with 2325 viewsRadlett_blue

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:46 - Dec 31 by BlueBadger

On that basis, we're very lucky that we never signed Devon White.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:54 - Dec 31 with 2320 viewsHipsterectomy

Jim tried to sign Nugent a few times

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 19:27 - Dec 31 with 2258 viewsitfc_bucks

Diallo certainly was bought on the basis of his performance against us for (I think) Burnley.
in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 19:35 - Dec 31 with 2218 viewstextbackup

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:46 - Dec 31 by BlueBadger

mark fish was also Jaap Stam like in every game against us

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 19:36 - Dec 31 with 2215 viewsmarchy

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 18:35 - Dec 31 by GeoffSentence

Well then, in that case, I take it back. What a patient and determined man Mick was.

And what a considered and thorough poster I am.
in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 19:37 - Dec 31 with 2206 viewsGeoffSentence

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 19:36 - Dec 31 by marchy

And what a considered and thorough poster I am.

Indeed you are.

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 19:48 - Dec 31 with 2174 viewsjaykay

a little bit in reverse rod belfitt scored against everton for us, which impressed harry catterick to sign him 2 days later. we got a unknown in the swap deal. a one david johnson .
the rest is history

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

in honour of attempting to buy Jordan Shipley on 20:12 - Dec 31 with 2137 viewscatch74

Taylor?

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024