Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reflections on yesterday.... 10:05 - Jan 2 with 1080 viewsITFC_Forever

The performance had a bit more spirit about it, even if not always a huge amount of quality.
Wolves clearly have our nuts in a vice about Norris - madness to be coming for that ball when there were four defenders round him.

But the bigger news is PRP's new contract. We heard the news just as we were parking up near the ground, and we were to a man, gob-smacked.
We should be considering getting rid of him - not rewarding him with effectively a 5 year deal. To tie any manager to that long a contract is a bit risky, but to reward one who has been average-at-best (and that's being kind) is madness.

I could kind have understood had we been swashbuckling and sweeping teams aside, but we're not, on the whole we have been regressing, not progressing.

Failure to get promoted this season is exactly that - a failure. And there is no incentive for PRP to do anything now, and it's now much harder for ME / any buyer that comes in the next five years to sack him.

We are destined to be in the wilderness for a good few seasons yet.

We are now stuck with ME, ME is stuck with us and we are all stuck with PRP.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:07 - Jan 2 with 1045 viewshoppy

Amongst all that, was good to see you!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:13 - Jan 2 with 1014 viewsITFC_Forever

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:07 - Jan 2 by hoppy

Amongst all that, was good to see you!

Yes, of course, good to see you there Hoppy (& KJ) and a number of other Town fans I know - including a number from TWTD.

The FanZone marquee was nice and easy to get food and drink and also was open at half-time, not that many seemed to realise.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 10:25]

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:19 - Jan 2 with 989 viewsLankHenners

Do you think we'll ever see a day where Evans realises a 'long term plan' has to consist of more than just chucking a long contract at a manager and seeing what he can come up with?

I'm not really a fan of panic sackings but would have been happy to see Lambert go to allow a Warnock in until May and properly plan for next season (not that I'd have much confidence in Evans getting it right).

Whilst I felt the initial 'PR Paul' stuff about the off-field issues was a bit cynical and disingenuous, the reason it's standing out so much is because of the weak and generally p!ss poor way the club is run at the top level. It should be the bread and butter of a club like ours and certainly shouldn't be highlighted as a big reason for giving an inept-looking manager a bumper extension to a contract he had 18 months on in the first place. Can only assume there are clauses of some description if Lambert fails to get us promoted so we can get rid without too much financial hassle (Evans would still keep him on in all likelihood anyway).

Also I feel really sorry for Holy. Hadn't done anything to deserve getting dropped and has performed better out of the two 'keepers. If Wolves really are pushing us to play Norris I'd tell them to fook off.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:20 - Jan 2 with 979 viewsDarth_Koont

Agree on the whole. And bizarrely, I get the impression that it's designed to give Lambert more security (and/or his players) as if he's going through a Paul Jewell-type crisis of confidence.

As for the match, it was certainly a better overall performance than recently and the team looked a lot more balanced. If the absence of KVY and Donacien forces Lambert to abandon the flat back 4 and push Garbutt into midfield, and in theory Judge into a more central role, then we may have stumbled onto a stronger team.

But I'm desperate to see us build a lasting approach and some genuine confidence. The opposition teams aren't good enough in this division to stretch away but it will be criminal if we end up throwing away promotion by simply making a much poorer use of our resources.

Pronouns: He/Him

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:23 - Jan 2 with 958 viewsITFC_Forever

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:19 - Jan 2 by LankHenners

Do you think we'll ever see a day where Evans realises a 'long term plan' has to consist of more than just chucking a long contract at a manager and seeing what he can come up with?

I'm not really a fan of panic sackings but would have been happy to see Lambert go to allow a Warnock in until May and properly plan for next season (not that I'd have much confidence in Evans getting it right).

Whilst I felt the initial 'PR Paul' stuff about the off-field issues was a bit cynical and disingenuous, the reason it's standing out so much is because of the weak and generally p!ss poor way the club is run at the top level. It should be the bread and butter of a club like ours and certainly shouldn't be highlighted as a big reason for giving an inept-looking manager a bumper extension to a contract he had 18 months on in the first place. Can only assume there are clauses of some description if Lambert fails to get us promoted so we can get rid without too much financial hassle (Evans would still keep him on in all likelihood anyway).

Also I feel really sorry for Holy. Hadn't done anything to deserve getting dropped and has performed better out of the two 'keepers. If Wolves really are pushing us to play Norris I'd tell them to fook off.

ME clearly doesn't have a plan.... he's still hoping / assuming we will go back to the Champ and then get dealt a lucky hand to fluke a promotion to the Prem.

However, the Prem feels light years away now, and watching the WBA - Leeds game last night when I got back made me think that even top-half of the Champ is a very long way away now as well.
If we were to go back up, we would still be miles behind the financial clout of most of the division as the game has moved on so much thanks to parachute payments etc (and that's not ME's fault in fairness), ME would again be the poker player desperately clinging on to a seat, but only putting in the minimum amount to keep in the game and hoping to get dealt two aces and then two more appear in the middle.

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:34 - Jan 2 with 904 viewsLankHenners

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:23 - Jan 2 by ITFC_Forever

ME clearly doesn't have a plan.... he's still hoping / assuming we will go back to the Champ and then get dealt a lucky hand to fluke a promotion to the Prem.

However, the Prem feels light years away now, and watching the WBA - Leeds game last night when I got back made me think that even top-half of the Champ is a very long way away now as well.
If we were to go back up, we would still be miles behind the financial clout of most of the division as the game has moved on so much thanks to parachute payments etc (and that's not ME's fault in fairness), ME would again be the poker player desperately clinging on to a seat, but only putting in the minimum amount to keep in the game and hoping to get dealt two aces and then two more appear in the middle.

If we manage to bundle our way up as we are I struggle to see anything other than immediate relegation with the similar pattern of last season's 'decent spells but ultimately fall to a limp 2-0 defeat'. Even if we were to improve and look a bit stronger we'll still be well off even the most bang average Championship teams and 18th will be a lofty finish.

As you say, he's hoping on a one-off season like it nearly happened with Mick, and though it's not really his fault that the game's become too rich for him, he really needs to have a serious think about what he needs to do. If he can't compete financially, then he needs to invest in the right places to get a proper structure going at the club so it doesn't all depend on the manager working miracles which to date only Mick was able to do to some degree. Only then do we have a chance of doing a Sheff Utd or a Norwich or at the very least a Brentford.

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:46 - Jan 2 with 865 viewsGarv

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:19 - Jan 2 by LankHenners

Appointing Warnock until May does not scream long term plan to me.

I'm not saying Lambert has a full proof long term plan himself, or a long term plan at all. But Warnock as a solution seems odd to me.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:49 - Jan 2 with 849 viewsDarth_Koont

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:34 - Jan 2 by LankHenners

If we manage to bundle our way up as we are I struggle to see anything other than immediate relegation with the similar pattern of last season's 'decent spells but ultimately fall to a limp 2-0 defeat'. Even if we were to improve and look a bit stronger we'll still be well off even the most bang average Championship teams and 18th will be a lofty finish.

As you say, he's hoping on a one-off season like it nearly happened with Mick, and though it's not really his fault that the game's become too rich for him, he really needs to have a serious think about what he needs to do. If he can't compete financially, then he needs to invest in the right places to get a proper structure going at the club so it doesn't all depend on the manager working miracles which to date only Mick was able to do to some degree. Only then do we have a chance of doing a Sheff Utd or a Norwich or at the very least a Brentford.

Indeed. Which is why, even if we limp over the line, I think we're wasting the chance down here to really forge a decent team.

That opportunity to build confidence and momentum down here is the only silver lining of being in League One and the last couple of seasons (and probably next season too) will have been a colossal waste of time and money that only cements us as an expensive and loss-making yo-yo club between the Championship and League One.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:51 - Jan 2 with 830 viewsSomethingBlue

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:34 - Jan 2 by LankHenners

If we go up, it is time for Evans to actively seek a sale.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:52 - Jan 2 with 827 viewsITFC_Forever

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:46 - Jan 2 by Garv

I'm not saying Lambert has a full proof long term plan himself, or a long term plan at all. But Warnock as a solution seems odd to me.

I can see the logic of a Warnock appointment in that it fights a fire to get us back in the Champ, which as this season is our best chance, we really must do.

The question then is who is available in the summer to provide the long-term stability and make us competitive in the Champ.

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:53 - Jan 2 with 821 viewsPJH

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:46 - Jan 2 by Garv

I think any long term plan HAS to include promotion this year because if we do not make it I would think that there will be a huge drop in ST sales for next season plus fan apathy or worse will be back.
Not even back to square one because we would be back to what we were when PL arrived except that it would be in a division lower.
PL failed in his (not very good) attempt to keep us in The Championship and if we do not go up this season he will have failed again.
Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:54 - Jan 2 with 811 viewsITFC_Forever

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:53 - Jan 2 by PJH

I think any long term plan HAS to include promotion this year because if we do not make it I would think that there will be a huge drop in ST sales for next season plus fan apathy or worse will be back.
Not even back to square one because we would be back to what we were when PL arrived except that it would be in a division lower.
PL failed in his (not very good) attempt to keep us in The Championship and if we do not go up this season he will have failed again.

Which is why the decision to give him a 5 year contract now is absurd.

The Banter Era has made a strong start to the new decade.

Reflections on yesterday.... on 11:11 - Jan 2 with 745 viewsPJH

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:54 - Jan 2 by ITFC_Forever

Which is why the decision to give him a 5 year contract now is absurd.

The Banter Era has made a strong start to the new decade.

I agree.
I actually like Paul Lambert but with the very necessary return to The Championship becoming more difficult by the game there seemed to be no logic in thinking of his extending his contract before we at least know which division we will be in in 2020/21.
Reflections on yesterday.... on 11:16 - Jan 2 with 713 viewsLankHenners

Reflections on yesterday.... on 10:51 - Jan 2 by SomethingBlue

If we go up, it is time for Evans to actively seek a sale.

Agreed. I believe that he has good intentions when he says he only wants to sell to the 'right' buyer but it's clearly not worked out for either him or us and we'd both be better off calling it a day and moving on to something new.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024