Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Lambert contract then 13:30 - Jan 2 with 6284 viewsitfcjoe

I didn't read much of the reaction as news landed as I parked up at Wycombe yesterday, but spoke to a lot of fans about it and it seems there is an element of disbelief about it.

It seems totally unnecessary to me, and had heard a couple of weeks back it was happening, but just assumed it had been shelved as been playing so poorly since.

The length of it is mind boggling, and can only assume there is a break clause or pay out set in it as we wouldn't be paying up the whole thing if we were to sack him. But has potential to make Evans look a bit stupid as is with a 5 1/2 year deal for a manager that hasn't achieved much on the pitch.

I think he had long enough on his deal that this shouldn't have even been a consideration this season, had we got promoted could see the sense in an extension, but in 12 months time we could easily be mid table in L1 and he'd still have 6 months to run and be needing to be sacked!

I've said for a while that Plan A needs to be Lambert sorting it out and stumbling on something and sticking to it, but that is now Plan A, B and C!

I worry about some of the stuff coming out of the club re his management and hope that the big chat after Lincoln will address some of these issues, and he goes back to basics and gets us organised in the first instance

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This Lambert contract then on 13:32 - Jan 2 with 3150 viewsclive_baker

It quite patently will have some sort of break clause, that's typical. Evans isn't stupid, if anything I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it easier for us to get rid of him if we fail to go up.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This Lambert contract then on 13:36 - Jan 2 with 3101 viewshomer_123

Contracts are meaningless in football anyway. So it's all rather moot.

If you do step back though for a second - there is a logic in tying Lambert to it - he's less likely to walk (which he has form for) but genuinely - our stock has fallen so much - who could we replace him with?

I'm not saying I'm happy with the contract being given - but if you step back and look at the bigger picture that can really only be the two reasons Evans has done it.

As I posted the other day:

So...let's move on from Lambert and the renewed contract. by homer_123 1 Jan 2020 17:18
Evan's isn't going to sack him any time soon as it will cost a fortune.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

This Lambert contract then on 13:36 - Jan 2 with 3086 viewsBluefish

There is absolutely nothing about it that makes sense and it seems even more bizarre considering his recent demeanour and comments. If this was being completed in the background why was he having a strop? It really is odd on all levels.

5 years is too long and a regular rolling deal would probably avoid some of the long deal coming to an end situation that Miick had, that wasn't healthy for anyone.

Even if it has a break clause it would imply that it wont be invoked anytime soon.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

This Lambert contract then on 13:37 - Jan 2 with 3098 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah it was a surprise, particularly the length & timing of it.

Agree with all you've said about it being unnecessary etc but there will be clauses within the new deal in the clubs favour regarding pay outs if he's sacked.

Let's just hope he arrests this current slide & gets us back to winning ways, yesterdays performance is certainly something to build on.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This Lambert contract then on 13:40 - Jan 2 with 3068 viewsdavblue

You can interpret the message 2 ways 1 it’s a show of faith based on what I don’t know at this moment it time.

Or it shows how out of touch Evans is with his decision making.

The Boxing Day post match conference may have been Lambert playing games to get this deal signed as it had been dragging on maybe.

My feelings on it are Lambert is finished as a manager, nothing I’ve seen from him over the last 12 months has made be change my mind on him, he’s of his time and that time has been and gone. I also think in fairness to him our problems were never going to be sorted out quickly in 1 or 2 transfer windows.

All this he loves the club, I don’t believe it, if he ends up doing well here and he gets another offer from elsewhere he will be off sharpish and he won’t care who he sh1ts on to get a job.

Hopefully he does well here though saying all that and he proves me wrong, nothing would make me happier!
This Lambert contract then on 13:43 - Jan 2 with 3053 viewsMullet

Evans doesn't handle conflict at all well it seems, and clearly the type you get in football doesn't translate to his boardroom experience hence the catalogue of fcuk ups over the years.

A lot of people were very gallows humour about it, but I think it shows once again how out of sync Evans is with us and always will be. There were rumours floating about the game that we'd approached someone else recently. So it strikes a contrast that we go and do this, especially after the Gillingham stuff.

If only Mick had been given this sort of backing when things were far better. The gloss on this "League One tour" and the away ends have markedly turned during this run. Lots of handbags at Lincoln and Gillingham alike, which makes me think that as soon as the novelty of touring these sh1tholes and ticking them off goes crowds will fall sharply if we fail to go up.

Today's baffling comments and lack of tact make me think that we have accepted to losing Downes/Woolfy and want to sell them and Bart asap to try and bully our way back up. I hope not, because ultimately Lambert should need no more than the permission to let some chaff go this window and make one key signing if necessary. Beyond that he should be focussing on getting back to getting way more out of this squad than the last two months have yielded.

It's telling that he couldn't handle the dressing rooms at Stoke or Villa, and if it's the same here with the players we have that's a huge concern. I suspect that those relishing Chambo/Skuse going are in for a shock as they'll not be the ones Lambert is worried about - if they're not on board now they can be gone easier than most. If he's not improved us by the end of this summer window he'll have had the 3 or 4 he was quoted about needing, I'm confident he will because it's impossible not to.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This Lambert contract then on 13:44 - Jan 2 with 3045 viewsKieran_Knows

Funny isn't it, just when the tide started to turn against Mick, Evans offered him a new 2 year deal (plus 2 years option). However, he's gone one better this time and offered Lambert the full 4 years upfront.

Utterly absurd and shows yet again the clear lack of leadership and nous at the top level of this football club.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 13:47]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

This Lambert contract then on 13:47 - Jan 2 with 3007 viewsGarv

This Lambert contract then on 13:36 - Jan 2 by Bluefish

There is absolutely nothing about it that makes sense and it seems even more bizarre considering his recent demeanour and comments. If this was being completed in the background why was he having a strop? It really is odd on all levels.

5 years is too long and a regular rolling deal would probably avoid some of the long deal coming to an end situation that Miick had, that wasn't healthy for anyone.

Even if it has a break clause it would imply that it wont be invoked anytime soon.

Please accept my condolences at this hard time.

Edit: It is odd.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 13:48]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

This Lambert contract then on 13:49 - Jan 2 with 2986 viewsitfcjoe

This Lambert contract then on 13:32 - Jan 2 by clive_baker

It quite patently will have some sort of break clause, that's typical. Evans isn't stupid, if anything I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it easier for us to get rid of him if we fail to go up.

Of course, I just mean more the terms of it compared to the existing contract

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This Lambert contract then on 13:50 - Jan 2 with 2964 viewsBluefish

This Lambert contract then on 13:47 - Jan 2 by Garv

Please accept my condolences at this hard time.

Edit: It is odd.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 13:48]

I'll add your message to the long list of divs that have said similar. No one agrees with the contract but congrats on finding that funny

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

This Lambert contract then on 14:10 - Jan 2 with 2881 viewshaynes_toe1

This Lambert contract then on 13:32 - Jan 2 by clive_baker

I doubt it makes it easier / cheaper for us to get rid of him. On what planet does a manager under pressure sign that!?
This Lambert contract then on 14:19 - Jan 2 with 2831 viewsclive_baker

This Lambert contract then on 14:10 - Jan 2 by haynes_toe1

I doubt it makes it easier / cheaper for us to get rid of him. On what planet does a manager under pressure sign that!?

It depends on the confidence you have in your ability to do the job. If ME offered him a contract that included a nice pay rise if he gets us up, and an additional 3.5 years at that money, but a clause limiting his payout if we don't go up, then you're probably less concerned with that if you have the confidence that you can get us promoted. Not to mention the fact his existing deal would presumably have been relatively affordable to pay off in the summer had we not gone up, so he wouldn't have had the strongest hand.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This Lambert contract then on 14:19 - Jan 2 with 2837 viewsFixed_It

I can only begin to imagine the reaction if social media had been a thing when the Cobbolds handed Bobby Robson a long(er) contract extension when the natves were getting restless back in the day. If this works out as well I am all for it...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

This Lambert contract then on 14:21 - Jan 2 with 2829 viewsIllinoisblue

This Lambert contract then on 13:43 - Jan 2 by Mullet

Evans doesn't handle conflict at all well it seems, and clearly the type you get in football doesn't translate to his boardroom experience hence the catalogue of fcuk ups over the years.

A lot of people were very gallows humour about it, but I think it shows once again how out of sync Evans is with us and always will be. There were rumours floating about the game that we'd approached someone else recently. So it strikes a contrast that we go and do this, especially after the Gillingham stuff.

If only Mick had been given this sort of backing when things were far better. The gloss on this "League One tour" and the away ends have markedly turned during this run. Lots of handbags at Lincoln and Gillingham alike, which makes me think that as soon as the novelty of touring these sh1tholes and ticking them off goes crowds will fall sharply if we fail to go up.

Today's baffling comments and lack of tact make me think that we have accepted to losing Downes/Woolfy and want to sell them and Bart asap to try and bully our way back up. I hope not, because ultimately Lambert should need no more than the permission to let some chaff go this window and make one key signing if necessary. Beyond that he should be focussing on getting back to getting way more out of this squad than the last two months have yielded.

It's telling that he couldn't handle the dressing rooms at Stoke or Villa, and if it's the same here with the players we have that's a huge concern. I suspect that those relishing Chambo/Skuse going are in for a shock as they'll not be the ones Lambert is worried about - if they're not on board now they can be gone easier than most. If he's not improved us by the end of this summer window he'll have had the 3 or 4 he was quoted about needing, I'm confident he will because it's impossible not to.

Tell us more about how he couldn’t handle the dressing rooms at Stoke and Villa. I’m no Lambert apologist - and in fact would rate him 4/10 for us (and will never understand how he got a free pass for our laughably poor attempt to avoid relegation) but weren’t Villa and Stoke both in freefall and in Villa’s case suffering form boardroom unrest?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

This Lambert contract then on 14:25 - Jan 2 with 2793 viewsPhilTWTD

This Lambert contract then on 13:37 - Jan 2 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah it was a surprise, particularly the length & timing of it.

Agree with all you've said about it being unnecessary etc but there will be clauses within the new deal in the clubs favour regarding pay outs if he's sacked.

Let's just hope he arrests this current slide & gets us back to winning ways, yesterdays performance is certainly something to build on.

From what I gather it had been agreed for a few weeks with one or two minor things being sorted in the background since then, so the deal itself pre-dates the recent downturn. I had wondered whether it had all been out on hold because of the recent run and PL's Boxing Day comments, but evidently not. There will be break clauses etc in the deal if things don't work out.
This Lambert contract then on 14:31 - Jan 2 with 2705 viewsPinewoodblue

This Lambert contract then on 14:25 - Jan 2 by PhilTWTD

From what I gather it had been agreed for a few weeks with one or two minor things being sorted in the background since then, so the deal itself pre-dates the recent downturn. I had wondered whether it had all been out on hold because of the recent run and PL's Boxing Day comments, but evidently not. There will be break clauses etc in the deal if things don't work out.

Presumably his exisiting contract made no provision fora bonus payment in the event of gaining promotion from League One. Reason for a new contract but doesn’t explain the length of contract.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This Lambert contract then on 14:32 - Jan 2 with 2690 viewsPhilTWTD

This Lambert contract then on 14:31 - Jan 2 by Pinewoodblue

Presumably his exisiting contract made no provision fora bonus payment in the event of gaining promotion from League One. Reason for a new contract but doesn’t explain the length of contract.

I'd be surprised if it didn't given the position when he took over and the expectation that we probably would be in League One this season.
This Lambert contract then on 14:32 - Jan 2 with 2689 viewsMullet

This Lambert contract then on 14:21 - Jan 2 by Illinoisblue

Tell us more about how he couldn’t handle the dressing rooms at Stoke and Villa. I’m no Lambert apologist - and in fact would rate him 4/10 for us (and will never understand how he got a free pass for our laughably poor attempt to avoid relegation) but weren’t Villa and Stoke both in freefall and in Villa’s case suffering form boardroom unrest?

They were and that was why he took on the jobs, as he fancied himself to sort it out. I think he said when he came here, it was too toxic and egos too massive in at Stoke. I meant it more in terms of it should be a lot easier here, than it was a consistent failure of his.

There's a brief reference here to how bad it was after Hughes, that is reminiscent of Hurst's legacy https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-changing

It was a big issue throughout his time there and something even mentioned when they sacked him seemingly. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5719637/Paul-Lambert-chance-s

Villa fans mentioned it to us last season too, although they were more critical of how he tried to make "sh1t players do tika taka" as one of them put it, which does sort of ring true here. As with most managers there's a clear pattern of why they fail after they leave, but I think it's harder to just say "at Norwich...." whether it's backing or criticising him and going on about Culverhouse etc.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This Lambert contract then on 14:36 - Jan 2 with 2670 viewsRadlett_blue

This Lambert contract then on 13:36 - Jan 2 by homer_123

Contracts are meaningless in football anyway. So it's all rather moot.

If you do step back though for a second - there is a logic in tying Lambert to it - he's less likely to walk (which he has form for) but genuinely - our stock has fallen so much - who could we replace him with?

I'm not saying I'm happy with the contract being given - but if you step back and look at the bigger picture that can really only be the two reasons Evans has done it.

As I posted the other day:

So...let's move on from Lambert and the renewed contract. by homer_123 1 Jan 2020 17:18
Evan's isn't going to sack him any time soon as it will cost a fortune.

You're right that contracts are so regularly broken in football that they have little meaning. If so, why trumpet about giving Lambert a 5 year deal?
As others have replied, Lambert wouldn't have signed a deal making it cheaper to sack him.
While some say Evans isn't trigger-happy, he has actually dismissed 4 of our last 5 mangers in less than 2 years.
While some debate whether we could find a decent manager if Lambert left, I think we'd have a better chance of finding a decent manager than Lambert would have of finding a decent club (more so if Evans wasn't choosing the next manager).
So I'm as a loss to understand this, unless Lambert told Evans he isn't happy with only 18 months left on his deal & Evans has meekly complied.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This Lambert contract then on 14:43 - Jan 2 with 2640 viewsDyland

This Lambert contract then on 14:32 - Jan 2 by PhilTWTD

I'd be surprised if it didn't given the position when he took over and the expectation that we probably would be in League One this season.

Really? You think his original contract had a clause for promotion from League One should we be relegated? That's pretty damning of Evans' management of Hurst's arrival and its fallout if even at that stage in the season he had a chat with Lambert and were considering relegation that seriously. I guess such clauses are standard but it's all such a shower. MEG and Lambert given such an easy ride so far. Pathetic.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

This Lambert contract then on 14:44 - Jan 2 with 2637 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

This Lambert contract then on 14:25 - Jan 2 by PhilTWTD

Any possibility that following the downturn in form we attempted to put things on hold or move the goalposts, which prompted Lambert’s comments post-Gillingham? This was my best guess - but obviously remains very much that!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I whined like the whiny little bitch..... on 14:45 - Jan 2 with 2633 viewsBloots

…..that I am, obviously.

It's symptomatic of Evans' remarkable ability to make totally the wrong decisions at every possible turn.

My position on Lambert will remain unchanged, in my opinion he's completely the wrong man for many, many reasons.

However even I know it's pointless banging on about it because most people don't realise it's possible to support the team unreservedly whilst still believing that it's being managed/run by a group of totally clueless turds.

I'm going to give up moaning about Lambert and Evans, but continue to support the team in just the same way that I have for the last 30 odd years.

COYFBs.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

"he has actually dismissed 4 of our last 5 mangers in less than 2 years" on 14:45 - Jan 2 with 2631 viewsDyland

This Lambert contract then on 14:36 - Jan 2 by Radlett_blue

You're right that contracts are so regularly broken in football that they have little meaning. If so, why trumpet about giving Lambert a 5 year deal?
As others have replied, Lambert wouldn't have signed a deal making it cheaper to sack him.
While some say Evans isn't trigger-happy, he has actually dismissed 4 of our last 5 mangers in less than 2 years.
While some debate whether we could find a decent manager if Lambert left, I think we'd have a better chance of finding a decent manager than Lambert would have of finding a decent club (more so if Evans wasn't choosing the next manager).
So I'm as a loss to understand this, unless Lambert told Evans he isn't happy with only 18 months left on his deal & Evans has meekly complied.

He's probably given them more time than most other owners would have though? Add to this the fact three of them and their woeful strategies were very, very bad for the club.

That makes total sense tbh (n/t) on 14:45 - Jan 2 with 2623 viewsDyland

This Lambert contract then on 14:44 - Jan 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Any possibility that following the downturn in form we attempted to put things on hold or move the goalposts, which prompted Lambert’s comments post-Gillingham? This was my best guess - but obviously remains very much that!

okay, boomer (n/t) on 14:46 - Jan 2 with 2623 viewsDyland

I whined like the whiny little bitch..... on 14:45 - Jan 2 by Bloots

…..that I am, obviously.

It's symptomatic of Evans' remarkable ability to make totally the wrong decisions at every possible turn.

My position on Lambert will remain unchanged, in my opinion he's completely the wrong man for many, many reasons.

However even I know it's pointless banging on about it because most people don't realise it's possible to support the team unreservedly whilst still believing that it's being managed/run by a group of totally clueless turds.

I'm going to give up moaning about Lambert and Evans, but continue to support the team in just the same way that I have for the last 30 odd years.

COYFBs.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024