Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan 23:26 - Jan 2 with 2248 viewspatrickswell

So he’s here for the foreseeable future. I remain unconvinced and have ranted at length over the last few months, but will get back in my box now given that it’s largely irrelevant what any of us think and that it will not have any impact on Evans short of us staying down this season and fighting a relegation battle at this level next year.

In terms of trying to see logic in the decision, I can only come back to the much derided Five Point Plan. At this level, the goal of trying to ensure that the Academy provides the bulk of our team seems a more realistic prospect than trying to get it started in the Championship.If Youth is to be the way forward, and we’re going to experience bumps and scrapes along the way with it, then it requires a manager who buys into it from the start and who is going to be given time to implement it. Hence Lambert gets a long contract. If Evans is trying to play a long game, it also suggests that promotion this year is not seen as make-or-break. At least not when set against establishing a team that could stay up and be built on. The problem is that it looks like yet more ofthe kind of “jam tomorrow” that we’ve been promised by Evans, Milne, Lambert and O’Neill over the years to a fanbase that has been continually short-changed.

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 23:55 - Jan 2 with 2188 viewstractorboy1978

Of course the issue is that any player we have that does well for even half a season will be sniffed around by Championship clubs. We NEED to go up this season, there is no doubt about that.
The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 01:30 - Jan 3 with 2092 viewsBonchosBicycle

"Here for the foreseeable future" - I'm not sure I see it makes much difference except in how much compensation we may have to pay if things don't turn around. Hurst had only signed a three year contract a few months before he went.
The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 08:13 - Jan 3 with 1902 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The 5 point 'plan' has never been much of a plan though has it? More 5 statements of fact that we already knew.

1. To provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy, enabling a steady flow of players into the first-team.
2. To provide a sustainable and competitive squad salary budget
3. To make annual investment funds available to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development
4. Maintaining a stable management and coaching team
5. To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football

All of which can be roughly translated as.

1. To make sure we produce our own players I can sell at a profit.
2. Our budget will always be in the half of the championship and hope we luck promotion.
3. To make sure we buy players I might be able to sell at a profit
4. We won't sack anyone else if I have to pay compensation
5. We'll pay football to increase revenue.

I don't really see an actual plan in there.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 08:46 - Jan 3 with 1868 viewsElephantintheRoom

I think you are over-egging this. Evans has much bigger problems that Ipswich Town which he has more or less written off since his rather comical attempt to fleece the London Olympics - and get promoted to the Prem.

Lambo has shown a modicum common sense.... fooled the supporters played two sellable youngsters and bought one decent player. In terms of what Evans wants that is probably the business plan met. He's far and away the 'best' Town manager of the Evans era, except perhaps Jim Magilton

It gives players a sense of stability... whether they like it or not Lambo is here for the next year or two. In some ways that can't be bad. Though I cant shake myself of the feeling that it probably will be as his managerial ability has been the polar opposite of his glib PR.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 09:20 - Jan 3 with 1800 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 01:30 - Jan 3 by BonchosBicycle

"Here for the foreseeable future" - I'm not sure I see it makes much difference except in how much compensation we may have to pay if things don't turn around. Hurst had only signed a three year contract a few months before he went.

Quite.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 09:49 - Jan 3 with 1759 viewsr2d2

We have a cr@p second half to the season and the fans will demand he goes. Evans will have a big compensation package to pay. Then we will be stuck in the lower leagues for years, and Evans calls himself a business man.
The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 09:53 - Jan 3 with 1743 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 08:46 - Jan 3 by ElephantintheRoom

I think you are over-egging this. Evans has much bigger problems that Ipswich Town which he has more or less written off since his rather comical attempt to fleece the London Olympics - and get promoted to the Prem.

Lambo has shown a modicum common sense.... fooled the supporters played two sellable youngsters and bought one decent player. In terms of what Evans wants that is probably the business plan met. He's far and away the 'best' Town manager of the Evans era, except perhaps Jim Magilton

It gives players a sense of stability... whether they like it or not Lambo is here for the next year or two. In some ways that can't be bad. Though I cant shake myself of the feeling that it probably will be as his managerial ability has been the polar opposite of his glib PR.

"He's far and away the 'best' Town manager of the Evans era, except perhaps Jim Magilton"

Lambert?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

LOL (n/t) on 10:01 - Jan 3 with 1721 viewsDyland

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 08:46 - Jan 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 11:39 - Jan 3 with 1638 viewsBlueBadger

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 11:54 - Jan 3 with 1615 viewsBlueBadger

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 09:49 - Jan 3 by r2d2

We have a cr@p second half to the season and the fans will demand he goes. Evans will have a big compensation package to pay. Then we will be stuck in the lower leagues for years, and Evans calls himself a business man.

You're forgetting about all the tax he'll be able to offset.....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 12:11 - Jan 3 with 1591 viewscatch74

I think the big problem will come if we sell Dozzell, Downes or Woolfenden for anything other than a small fortune. Not sure the fans will accept losing them.
Surely if we don’t get promoted we need to build the team around Downes, make him captain and lose the 30 somethings wages to fund his.
Hopefully we go up and this becomes irrelevant.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 03:48 - Jan 4 with 1450 viewseddiespearitt03

The situation at this club is getting worse year on year. Evans just seems to do the complete opposite on what needs doing to build any progress. We are still stuck with very average players sucking the life out of this club.
What happens when we are in League One next season without Garbutt and possibly minus a couple of good young players we do have. Then what ?
Were Ipswich going to be the relegated Championship team that takes League One by storm and get promoted straight back to the Championship ? The answer looks like an emphatic no . Increasingly tired of early cup exits and nothing but broken promises.
The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 06:16 - Jan 4 with 1414 viewsshamboy

The reason for the 4 year contract is simple. Firstly, because PL demanded it. Secondly, because Evans and the brilliant Lee O'Neill have realised that few things in football are more wastefully expensive than a frequent change of manager and coaching team. So they have thrown in their lot with Lambo.
The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 10:03 - Jan 4 with 1283 viewsr2d2

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 06:16 - Jan 4 by shamboy

The reason for the 4 year contract is simple. Firstly, because PL demanded it. Secondly, because Evans and the brilliant Lee O'Neill have realised that few things in football are more wastefully expensive than a frequent change of manager and coaching team. So they have thrown in their lot with Lambo.

My god, thats frightening if true.
The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 12:52 - Jan 4 with 1208 viewsFreddy

The Lambert contract and The Five Point Plan on 06:16 - Jan 4 by shamboy

Crazy though isn't it, 2 years would have been enough and that should have waited until the end of the season
You’ve got to look at it simply... on 13:55 - Jan 4 with 1161 viewsunstableblue

Why have Town been in decline over the last decade, with attendances and local support dwindling? Perhaps because:

1. We no longer dictate games and dominate possession in midfield especially at home
2. We do not attack in waves for extended periods with a consistently high shot target
3. Our defence has had poor full backs and is prone to consistent errors
4. The academy products have been consistently developed and kept to derive true value

Has Lambert shown signs of fixing the above? Well bizarrely he’s increased crowds trough the optimism of a seemingly better regime. BUT he has failed on points 2 and 3 perhaps hampered by the KVY but also his continued switching of players.

As stated his squad remains unbalanced with not enough width and too many central midfielders. And of course given Marcus backing can you achieve all of the above anyway?! I think you can in league one. And we need more consistent and clear systems and selection from Paul to get more fans onside.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024