Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. 18:57 - Jan 4 with 945 viewsPattiswickBlue

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this below, struggled picking this but have finished up on this.
HOLY

EDWARDS WOOLFENDEN CHAMBERS (C) KENLOCK GARBUTT

BISHOP HUWS

JUDGE

NORWOOD KEANE

SUBSTITUTES:
NORRIS, DONACIEN, DOZZELL, NOLAN, DOWNES, SEARS, JACKSON

REASONS FOR TEAM:
GOALKEEPERS: Norris or Holy, decided to go with Holy due to the poor mistakes made by Norris in the last few games. However, not convinced by Holy but Holy’s distribution is much superior to Norris’.

DEFENDERS: Obviously if Vincent-Young was fit I would play him at RWB, but gone with Edwards ahead of Donacien as I thought Edwards played well their against Wycombe and he provides more going forward then Donacien. CB’s I have gone with Woolfenden and Kenlock either side of Chambers as I do not think Wilson is suited to play the way Lambert wants us to play as he is very much a no nonsense defender and does not take any risks, so would have Wilson as backup to those 3. The less said about Nsiala the better. I have gone with Kenlock at LCB as he has prior experience of playing their, he’s tall enough and strong enough to play there, he is also comfortable on the ball so will be able to bring the ball out of defence like Woolfenden does helping to start attacks as we have struggled to create chances this season. In January I think it is crucial we get rid of Nsiala and bring in a new CB as Chambers is making a lot mistakes this season and may well be past it. At LWB, I would have Garbutt for his dead balls and ability going forward. I still think Garbutt has a lot to do defensively as have not been utterly convinced by his defensive work this season.

MIDFIELDERS: This is the part of team selection which must give Lambert headaches every week when selecting his Midfield. He has so many good options at this level. To leave Downes, Skuse, Dozzell and Nolan out of a League 1 midfield is incredible. However, I have gone with these 3 together as I think it gives us the best balance. The dribbling ability of Bishop to drive us forward, the passing range and height of Emyr Huws and the creativity of Alan Judge in the number 10 role. These 3 together would be a formidable force to face as all of these on their day are good Championship players. Huws would be sitting and receiving the ball from the CB’s and distributing it dictating the tempo of the play, Bishop would be in the side as box to box midfield player and I would give him scope to go on his famous runs which we have missed massively this season, having someone drive forward from midfield into the oppositions half breaking the shape of the opposition. Then have Judge Infront of the pair supporting the strikers, roaming into the channels and be our main creative outlet with the support of Huws and Bishop. Inevitably one of Huws and Bishop will be injured soon so could ruin this exciting midfield. The players who are most unfortunate to miss out are Downes although I think he has been excellent this season & is a massive talent and Nolan as he is a very good player at this level, I just cannot see either them getting In ahead of these 3.

STRIKERS: Norwood and Keane, Keane is a man inform scoring recently against Lincoln and Exeter, Keane is our best footballing striker without a shadow of a doubt, he is good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play & when he has the ball he has some decent ability on it, the negative about Will Keane is his ability in the air. Considering his size he should win more headers which is why to partner him I have gone with our best aerial striker Norwood, who I feel gets harsh criticism, yes he has missed chances this season but at least he actually gets in the position to score goals. He like Keane is also good on the ball and often gets the ball out to the wide players and charges into the box looking to get on the end of crosses. I have left Jackson out of the side as when we play him the players have a temptation to hit long balls over the top to try and get Jackson in behind, this was working at the start of the season but teams have caught onto it and now when we try to do it teams are prepared for it and we just give the ball straight back to them wasting possession, also I think Jackson is a great player to have on the bench as his pace causes problems whenever he comes on, I think he is more effective as a substitute. Sears misses out due to his long injury lay off and he needs to slowly be reintroduced.

Overall: Playing this side encourages us to play the ball out from the back and play passing football not long balls over the top to Jackson. This is quite an attacking side which should help with creating chances, Wolfy and Kenlock to bring the ball out from the back, Huws to dictate the tempo and play, Bishop to make driving runs, Edwards and Garbutt both provide a goal threat and decent delivery, Judge to find pockets of space and make things happen. Keane and Norwood to finish it all off. Final thing from me, get behind Lambert and the boys as they are going to get us back up this year have the faith! Let’s all support the blues and not become toxic again like we did in the late McCarthy era. Let’s hope 2020 is a much better year than 2019. COME ON YOU BLUES.
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:01 - Jan 4 with 920 viewsDarth_Koont

Downes has to play - no ifs or buts. And after today's showing by Teddy we should aim to phase Judge out for Bishop.

Pronouns: He/Him

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:17 - Jan 4 with 878 viewsPattiswickBlue

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:01 - Jan 4 by Darth_Koont

Downes has to play - no ifs or buts. And after today's showing by Teddy we should aim to phase Judge out for Bishop.

I understand but I think this such a well balanced 3. You could bring in Downes for Bishop but then you’d be leaving someone with such dribbling ability out, he wins a lot of free kicks as well Bishop so would get more chances for Garbutt and his wand of a left foot.
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:21 - Jan 4 with 864 viewsDubtractor

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:17 - Jan 4 by PattiswickBlue

I understand but I think this such a well balanced 3. You could bring in Downes for Bishop but then you’d be leaving someone with such dribbling ability out, he wins a lot of free kicks as well Bishop so would get more chances for Garbutt and his wand of a left foot.

Not remotely balanced! No one in that midfield will do the tackling and defensive grunt.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:22 - Jan 4 with 855 viewsDarth_Koont

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:17 - Jan 4 by PattiswickBlue

I think my main issue is that Judge hasn't done enough over a whole year (and doesn't make us look a very good or balanced side either).

I'd like to see us have a strong, balanced side first. Then see how to bring in Judge and to a lesser extent Dozzell who I think would be fine in a central 3. At present, I think both should be on the bench if Plan A doesn't work.

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:30 - Jan 4 with 818 viewsWicklowBlue

Does the best current Ipswich team not include KVY? (I know he's injured but the OP stated the best team)

Aside from that I'd play Donacien at RB above Edwards...dunno why we would continue playing peeps out of position.
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:32 - Jan 4 with 811 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone who can’t get the following out of this league, bearing in mind we’ve got good backup in several areas too, doesn’t deserve a managerial job:

Holy
KVY (Donacien) Wolfie Chambo Garbutt
Flynn Skuse
Judge (Bish if fit)
Jackson Keane Freddie

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:34 - Jan 4 with 805 viewsDarth_Koont

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:30 - Jan 4 by WicklowBlue

Does the best current Ipswich team not include KVY? (I know he's injured but the OP stated the best team)

Aside from that I'd play Donacien at RB above Edwards...dunno why we would continue playing peeps out of position.

As a RWB in a 352, I think Edwards sort of works better. And it's also a formation that puts Garbutt further up the pitch which we desperately need as a team.

KVY is the best long-term solution clearly but the OP says as much.

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:35 - Jan 4 with 800 viewschicoazul

Cooper
Mills
Treacle
Thijssen
Butcher
Beattie
Wark
Muhren
Mariner
Brazil
Gates

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:35 - Jan 4 with 800 viewsMattinLondon

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:21 - Jan 4 by Dubtractor

Not remotely balanced! No one in that midfield will do the tackling and defensive grunt.

Agreed. As it stands our midfield defensive players track back and tackle quite successfully.

No teams have simply walked through the centre at ease.
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:36 - Jan 4 with 789 viewsHerbivore

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:32 - Jan 4 by Swansea_Blue

Anyone who can’t get the following out of this league, bearing in mind we’ve got good backup in several areas too, doesn’t deserve a managerial job:

Holy
Flynn Skuse
Judge (Bish if fit)
Jackson Keane Freddie

I'd have Huws, Dozzer and Bish rather than Judge but otherwise agree with that side entirely.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:38 - Jan 4 with 782 viewsPattiswickBlue

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:21 - Jan 4 by Dubtractor

Huws was doing that role against Wycombe? He was winning the headers and picking up the loose balls?
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:41 - Jan 4 with 773 viewspowinswitch

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:35 - Jan 4 by MattinLondon

Agreed. As it stands our midfield defensive players track back and tackle quite successfully.

No teams have simply walked through the centre at ease.

And which games have our midfield dominated.
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:42 - Jan 4 with 768 viewsMattinLondon

I’d play 4-3-3

Holy
KVY (Donacien) Wolfie Chambo Kenlock
Downes Bishop Huws
Sears Keane Garbutt

Subs
Dozzell
Norwood
Skuse
Jackson
Dober
El Muzzori.
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:45 - Jan 4 with 754 viewsPattiswickBlue

Why are so many people dropping Norwood?
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:49 - Jan 4 with 737 viewsMattinLondon

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:45 - Jan 4 by PattiswickBlue

Why are so many people dropping Norwood?

Poor first touch, needs ten chances to score, really needs to up his game.
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 20:00 - Jan 4 with 711 viewsCokeIsKey

--------------Holy
--KVY--Woolf--Chambo--Garbutt
-------------Skuse
-----Downes-----Huws
-------------Bishop
------Jackson--Keane

We've rarely tinkered with the diamond which is strange as it fits our personnel quite well.

We looked like a top-class side with it against MK Dons and there is not that much width needed. The only question is if Garbutt is good enough defensively for the role and if Donacien could provide adequate attack with KVY out for a while.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 20:04 - Jan 4 with 694 viewspowinswitch

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 20:00 - Jan 4 by CokeIsKey

--------------Holy
--KVY--Woolf--Chambo--Garbutt
-------------Skuse
-----Downes-----Huws
-------------Bishop
------Jackson--Keane

We've rarely tinkered with the diamond which is strange as it fits our personnel quite well.

We looked like a top-class side with it against MK Dons and there is not that much width needed. The only question is if Garbutt is good enough defensively for the role and if Donacien could provide adequate attack with KVY out for a while.

We looked good for the first 25 mins at MK. Then Norwood went off, and we lost control of the game, and were lucky to hold on.
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 20:08 - Jan 4 with 680 viewsIpswichKnight

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:01 - Jan 4 by Darth_Koont

Controversial opinion we should phase out Dozzell for El-Miz.
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 20:26 - Jan 4 with 628 viewsWestcountryblue

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 19:32 - Jan 4 by Swansea_Blue

Holy
Flynn Skuse
Judge (Bish if fit)
Jackson Keane Freddie

Agreed, that's a hell of a side at this level
One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 20:48 - Jan 4 with 583 views3_5_2

One of the hardest questions, What is the best Ipswich side? see mine here. on 20:04 - Jan 4 by powinswitch

We looked good for the first 25 mins at MK. Then Norwood went off, and we lost control of the game, and were lucky to hold on.

That's how I remember it - very lucky to win in the end

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024