Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) 22:30 - Jan 4 with 4822 viewsDinnernotTea

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:01 - Jan 5 with 1162 viewsmarchy

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 16:24 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

The majority of the side hadn't played in the Championship before? That's not really true. Bart, Kenlock, Chambers, Knudsen, Spence, Skuse, Downes, Dozzell, Bishop, Sears - all played a decent amount of football in the Championship. Pennington had decent prior Championship experience as well. Mick inherited different problems, way too many loanees and players on short term contracts, including a number of 'old pros' whose best days were well behind them. We were an utter mess when he came in. I'm not saying Lambert should have kept us up, but he should have at least made a bit of a fight of it. We were the worst side in the league when he came in and he didn't improve on that.

Yes of course we had (the ageing) Chambers, (the ageing) Skuse and (whatever the hell Hurst did to him) Bart, but even with whatever rearguard we could make out of them, (the average) Knudsen, (the very average) Pennington and (the atrocious) Spence, we were still almost completely devoid of anything Championship-standard in the opposition half. Downes and Dozzell absolutely had not played a "decent amount" in the Championship, and it's a reach to argue that Bishop ever did. We were largely dependent on whatever attacking threat we could get out of Jackson, Harrison, Edwards and Nolan. Three of those are proving thoroughly inept at League 1 level. Lambert did improve what he walked into, but he's not a magician.
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:06 - Jan 5 with 1158 viewsPecker

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:31 - Jan 4 by J2BLUE

I don't see why people keep mentioning this. Last season was a free hit. This is the season to judge him and there's plenty to criticise without banging on about last season.

Last season wasn't a free hit. Expected to put up more of a fight against relegation.
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:14 - Jan 5 with 1146 viewsBluedanW

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 09:24 - Jan 5 by StokieBlue

That's abuse of statistics in my opinion.

You should really weight the results in each season by the apparent strength of the squad and the position inherited.

Lambert hasn't done well but this stat isn't brilliant.

SB

Whichever way you look at it, it's not form or a results record that warrants a 5 year contract
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 19:15]
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:22 - Jan 5 with 1116 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:01 - Jan 5 by marchy

Yes of course we had (the ageing) Chambers, (the ageing) Skuse and (whatever the hell Hurst did to him) Bart, but even with whatever rearguard we could make out of them, (the average) Knudsen, (the very average) Pennington and (the atrocious) Spence, we were still almost completely devoid of anything Championship-standard in the opposition half. Downes and Dozzell absolutely had not played a "decent amount" in the Championship, and it's a reach to argue that Bishop ever did. We were largely dependent on whatever attacking threat we could get out of Jackson, Harrison, Edwards and Nolan. Three of those are proving thoroughly inept at League 1 level. Lambert did improve what he walked into, but he's not a magician.

He didn't really improve it. His points per game was atrocious and we finished miles adrfit. The same Championship players you're dissing in that post managed a 12th place finish months before. Lambert didn't need to be a magician to keep us up, he needed to be a good manager. Sadly it looks as though he's not a good manager.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:47 - Jan 5 with 1131 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 16:06 - Jan 5 by DinnernotTea

Not a single bloke I went with turned up last season because Paul Lambert said they had to, are you mad?

He's proved in 14 months just what a diabolical manager he is and as to why he was still unemployed in November. This is a manager that will "ROTATE" the no.1 keeper that equalled a club record and got us top of the league.

I promise you, he doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

I see you ignored the bit where i proved you previous comments to be nonsense by actually posting factual stats.

Now you're trying to change history. Who said anything about people attending because 'Paul told' them. It's a fact that the support started to return and you can see it in what happened to attendances. You could see it in the reaction from fans. Paul cared and still does and but for the nightmare run was doing well this season and i'll back him and give him the opportunity to turn it around. Regardless of the 5 year contract (which i think was terrible timing) he wont last if results dont turn.

I promise you, he knows a lot more about football and crucially how to manage then you.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:54 - Jan 5 with 1125 viewsReuser_is_God

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 12:16 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

I thinks that's rewriting history a fair bit. When he came in we had legitimate hopes of staying up. Best part of 30 games left and were only a few points adrift. I think it's a bit much to just write it off, we went down without a fight really. Mick saved us comfortably from a similarly poor position, for comparison.

Whilst Mick did save us from a like for like situation I think it’s very important to note that Mick inherited a squad with a lot of good players in it, Lambert really didn’t.

I knew Lambert wouldn’t keep us up last season due to what he inherited however that being said we should’ve made a better fight of it, it was an utterly embarrassing relegation.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:55 - Jan 5 with 1123 viewsmarchy

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:22 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

He didn't really improve it. His points per game was atrocious and we finished miles adrfit. The same Championship players you're dissing in that post managed a 12th place finish months before. Lambert didn't need to be a magician to keep us up, he needed to be a good manager. Sadly it looks as though he's not a good manager.

No, the Championship players in that post managed a 12th place finish when playing alongside Martyn Waghorn, Joe Garner, David McGoldrick and Bersant Celina, rather than when playing alongside Kayden Jackson, Ellis Harrison, Gwion Edwards and Jon Nolan. Any clearer?
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:55 - Jan 5 with 1125 viewsReuser_is_God

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 13:34 - Jan 5 by BlueBadger

Weren't we further adrift when Mick came in?

I can’t remember that exact points but Mick inherited a far greater squad than Lambert.

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:07 - Jan 5 with 1074 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:55 - Jan 5 by marchy

No, the Championship players in that post managed a 12th place finish when playing alongside Martyn Waghorn, Joe Garner, David McGoldrick and Bersant Celina, rather than when playing alongside Kayden Jackson, Ellis Harrison, Gwion Edwards and Jon Nolan. Any clearer?

Make all the excuses you like, we made a pitiful effort at staying up. And Lambert had January to make signings to try and improve us for the second half of the season and we remained crap.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:19 - Jan 5 with 1080 viewsmarchy

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:07 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

Make all the excuses you like, we made a pitiful effort at staying up. And Lambert had January to make signings to try and improve us for the second half of the season and we remained crap.

Imagine grasping for desperate excuses like "we had much worse players". Once they arrived Quaner and Keane scored more between them than Jackson and Harrison managed all season, and on the face of it Judge seemed like a coup. That's about as much improvement as we could have hoped for. Intrigued to know who else you think might have been fit, healthy and well up for being paid a pittance to stain their reputation in a doomed side like ours was.
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:22 - Jan 5 with 1066 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:55 - Jan 5 by Reuser_is_God

I can’t remember that exact points but Mick inherited a far greater squad than Lambert.

He really didn’t though. The squad McCarthy inherited had no recognised right back, 2 permanent centre backs, included Scott Loach, Lee Martin, Luke Hyam, Andy Drury and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas as relative regulars and had about 8 players on loan. Even the likes of Murphy who people point to had at that point scored about 13 goals in 5 years

It was a complete shambles - and we stayed up because McCarthy didn’t f*ck around and us quickly back to basics and being solid, rather than f*cking around with split centre backs and passing around ineffectually

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:22 - Jan 5 with 1074 viewsDinnernotTea

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:47 - Jan 5 by Terry_Nutkins

I see you ignored the bit where i proved you previous comments to be nonsense by actually posting factual stats.

Now you're trying to change history. Who said anything about people attending because 'Paul told' them. It's a fact that the support started to return and you can see it in what happened to attendances. You could see it in the reaction from fans. Paul cared and still does and but for the nightmare run was doing well this season and i'll back him and give him the opportunity to turn it around. Regardless of the 5 year contract (which i think was terrible timing) he wont last if results dont turn.

I promise you, he knows a lot more about football and crucially how to manage then you.

I'm struggling to understand why you're chasing your own tail here. Twenty six Percent. 26%. In 14 months of football.

I should hope he does know more than me, he's somehow wrangled a 5 year contract. But no wins in 12 and a complete lack of identity after 14 months, makes me think even you could do better no!?

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:23 - Jan 5 with 1055 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:19 - Jan 5 by marchy

Imagine grasping for desperate excuses like "we had much worse players". Once they arrived Quaner and Keane scored more between them than Jackson and Harrison managed all season, and on the face of it Judge seemed like a coup. That's about as much improvement as we could have hoped for. Intrigued to know who else you think might have been fit, healthy and well up for being paid a pittance to stain their reputation in a doomed side like ours was.

Pittance? We paid Quaner and Keane £20k a week. You must be minted if you think that's a pittance. If you feel Lambert did a decent job last season then fair enough, I expected him to make us better and he didn't so I'm less prepared to give him a free pass.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:24 - Jan 5 with 1064 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 15:13 - Jan 5 by Terry_Nutkins

By the way you should do your homework better as his stats are NOT bad: Only stoke and Livingston (his first job) were worse % - Stoke was short term and they were all but down and he drew most of the games losing only 6!)

To nearest %:

Wycombe - 41%
Colchester - 44%
Norwich - 49%
Villa - 30%
Blackburn - 36%
Wolves -42%

FYI all but one of those have been rounded down.

Stoke all but down?? He took over in January with them 18th and 1 point from safety

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:32 - Jan 5 with 1045 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:24 - Jan 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Stoke all but down?? He took over in January with them 18th and 1 point from safety

He's a good PR man though. Every job he's taken on has been impossible and although he's not achieved the impossible, or even really come close, he's said some nice stuff and deflected blame well.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 21:55 - Jan 5 with 1010 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 19:54 - Jan 5 by Reuser_is_God

Whilst Mick did save us from a like for like situation I think it’s very important to note that Mick inherited a squad with a lot of good players in it, Lambert really didn’t.

I knew Lambert wouldn’t keep us up last season due to what he inherited however that being said we should’ve made a better fight of it, it was an utterly embarrassing relegation.

Agree with all of that.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 21:59 - Jan 5 with 1009 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:24 - Jan 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He had 15 games. Yes they were all but down. Stoke fans by the way rated him and a lot wanted him to be kept. They had 2 injury time goals against which cost them. They were unlucky.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:05 - Jan 5 with 990 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:22 - Jan 5 by DinnernotTea

I'm struggling to understand why you're chasing your own tail here. Twenty six Percent. 26%. In 14 months of football.

I should hope he does know more than me, he's somehow wrangled a 5 year contract. But no wins in 12 and a complete lack of identity after 14 months, makes me think even you could do better no!?

Chasing my own tail. I've explained to you clearly (as have others) why its common sense and logical to breakdown the win %. Obviously there was context with what he took over last season. I've also shown your comment about it being typical of him to be just factually wrong.

You've come back with just writing the % twice with no further argument because there isn't a logical one (oh the irony of you telling me i'm chasing my own tail).
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 22:06]

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:07 - Jan 5 with 979 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 21:59 - Jan 5 by Terry_Nutkins

He had 15 games. Yes they were all but down. Stoke fans by the way rated him and a lot wanted him to be kept. They had 2 injury time goals against which cost them. They were unlucky.

15 games to make up 1 point isn’t all but down though, is it?

Presumably those fans posted on Stokes messageboard as Nerry_Tutkins, Oxford_RedWhite and MrCity...

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:10 - Jan 5 with 982 viewsDinnernotTea

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:05 - Jan 5 by Terry_Nutkins

Chasing my own tail. I've explained to you clearly (as have others) why its common sense and logical to breakdown the win %. Obviously there was context with what he took over last season. I've also shown your comment about it being typical of him to be just factually wrong.

You've come back with just writing the % twice with no further argument because there isn't a logical one (oh the irony of you telling me i'm chasing my own tail).
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 22:06]

Keeping biting away at it, Tel!

Chunks. No chunks. If you want chunks then tell me his last 3 months %? See, it gets silly. So a fair way to gauge if a football manager has done well in a 14 month period is to gauge his % from day 1. And as you know it's absolutely pathetic. 26% by the way.

I promise you, he doesn't know his arse from his elbow. Regardless whether he tickles your tummy in the media.

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:13 - Jan 5 with 974 viewsReuser_is_God

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 20:22 - Jan 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He really didn’t though. The squad McCarthy inherited had no recognised right back, 2 permanent centre backs, included Scott Loach, Lee Martin, Luke Hyam, Andy Drury and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas as relative regulars and had about 8 players on loan. Even the likes of Murphy who people point to had at that point scored about 13 goals in 5 years

It was a complete shambles - and we stayed up because McCarthy didn’t f*ck around and us quickly back to basics and being solid, rather than f*cking around with split centre backs and passing around ineffectually

Wouldn’t disagree there was some dross however we had a lot of battle hardened players like Chambers, Henderson, Cresswell, Murphy, N’Daw, Edwards & Hyam who was perfect at the time for what we needed at the time.

Lee Martin was also half effective for Mick.

Add into the DJ Campbell 10 goals in 17 or whatever.

Whilst not great it was 10x as good as what Lambert inherited, in my opinion.

Evans out

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:22 - Jan 5 with 963 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:13 - Jan 5 by Reuser_is_God

Wouldn’t disagree there was some dross however we had a lot of battle hardened players like Chambers, Henderson, Cresswell, Murphy, N’Daw, Edwards & Hyam who was perfect at the time for what we needed at the time.

Lee Martin was also half effective for Mick.

Add into the DJ Campbell 10 goals in 17 or whatever.

Whilst not great it was 10x as good as what Lambert inherited, in my opinion.

I think you’ve overestimated that somewhat

You could say similar about the squad Lambert inherited too - Bialkowski, Chambers, Knudsen, Spence, Skuse, Pennington and Sears all had fairly extensive Championship experience, and if you’re including the likes of Henderson and Cresswell then you’d probably have to include players like Kenlock and Downes too

I think your comment re Martin is quite telling actually

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 23:30 - Jan 5 with 930 viewsmarchy

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 22:22 - Jan 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think you’ve overestimated that somewhat

You could say similar about the squad Lambert inherited too - Bialkowski, Chambers, Knudsen, Spence, Skuse, Pennington and Sears all had fairly extensive Championship experience, and if you’re including the likes of Henderson and Cresswell then you’d probably have to include players like Kenlock and Downes too

I think your comment re Martin is quite telling actually

Bart over Henderson, and Skuse over N'Daw. Other than that, Chambers at 27 in 2012 was plenty better than Chambers at 33 in 2018, Cresswell was streets ahead of Knudsen, Murphy ahead of Sears, Carlos Edwards and Martin ahead of Gwion Edwards and Nolan, and Campbell miles clear of anything we had at our disposal up front when Lambert arrived, before we even consider that the likes of Scotland and JET were still available to Mick. (Downes, by the way, was 18 and had a handful of appearances behind him.) How on earth could anyone seriously make a case that the squad Mick inherited wasn't better?
Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 05:58 - Jan 6 with 846 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 23:30 - Jan 5 by marchy

Bart over Henderson, and Skuse over N'Daw. Other than that, Chambers at 27 in 2012 was plenty better than Chambers at 33 in 2018, Cresswell was streets ahead of Knudsen, Murphy ahead of Sears, Carlos Edwards and Martin ahead of Gwion Edwards and Nolan, and Campbell miles clear of anything we had at our disposal up front when Lambert arrived, before we even consider that the likes of Scotland and JET were still available to Mick. (Downes, by the way, was 18 and had a handful of appearances behind him.) How on earth could anyone seriously make a case that the squad Mick inherited wasn't better?

You’ve also completely over-egged it

Your perception of Murphy is the 2014/15 one, as opposed to the one that had averaged about 3 goals a season until then. Sears was certainly a more accomplished goal scorer

Edwards you’ve compared to midfielders but was playing right back, and father time was certainly beginning to catchup

Lee Martin is a dreadful player. Same with JET, as much as I loved him

Having looked I take the point on Downes although he had made 10 Championship appearances, however I did think it was a few more. Basis of my point was that Henderson had made under 30 and Cresswell only had one season, so hardly hardened Championship veterans like RIG suggested

There is serious revisionism going on re that squad though, it was a complete shambles

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 08:35 - Jan 6 with 820 viewsHerbivore

Paul Lambert has a 26% win record since arriving. 26%. (n/t) on 05:58 - Jan 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You’ve also completely over-egged it

Your perception of Murphy is the 2014/15 one, as opposed to the one that had averaged about 3 goals a season until then. Sears was certainly a more accomplished goal scorer

Edwards you’ve compared to midfielders but was playing right back, and father time was certainly beginning to catchup

Lee Martin is a dreadful player. Same with JET, as much as I loved him

Having looked I take the point on Downes although he had made 10 Championship appearances, however I did think it was a few more. Basis of my point was that Henderson had made under 30 and Cresswell only had one season, so hardly hardened Championship veterans like RIG suggested

There is serious revisionism going on re that squad though, it was a complete shambles

Yep, agreed. Plus most of the players he's listing under Mick weren't ours, some left not long after Mick came in (DJ), and some were just crap (Martin). And even someone like DJ did literally nothing after moving on from us, suggesting we rinsed the last few performances out of him. It wasn't a squad loaded with quality and it was a squad with huge issues in terms of the loanees and short term contracts and general lack of anyone giving a fook.

I'm sure as well if you'd asked last season who was the better loanee out of N'Daw and Chalobah not many would have picked N'Daw. And would anyone choose a 2013 version of Luke Hyam over Flynn Downes? I don't think so. And back then everyone was questioning exactly why we kept bringing in Murphy on loan every bloody season when he didn't score any goals. Mick and Terry turned him into a top Championship striker, he wasn't one before they arrived.

Serious revisionism.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024