Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FM 2020 thread 12:27 - Jan 5 with 11791 viewstractordownsouth

We haven’t got a proper one this year, I accidentally posted on last year’s one the other day.

I’ve just started my fifth season with Town , my first in the PL. I won L1 in my first year and then had 2 mid table Championship finishes before winning the play offs last season, after I’d been top 2 for most of the season.

I’ve got 1 point from the first 3 Pl games and everyone else in the league has at least double my wage budget but if I don’t get sacked we should be able to become a yo yo club for a bit.

I’ve still got quite a few current players in the squad... Woolfenden, Downes, Lankester, El Mizoini and KVY are regular starters with Holy, Huws, Dozzell and Folami on the bench. I’ve religiously played a 4-4-2 control possession.

How’s everyone else doing with it?
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 12:28]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

FM 2020 thread on 13:44 - Jan 5 with 5312 viewsitfcjoe

Back to back promotions, but struggling big time in the PL, was doing ok but lost 4-1 to the scum at PR and 1 point in 8 since and can barely score a goal

Got to beat Hull (Championship) at home in 2nd leg to get in League Cup semi and still in FA Cup - currently 19th and don’t see how I’m going to stay up - Jan window just opened

Playing 442 with 2 DMs

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

FM 2020 thread on 13:47 - Jan 5 with 5308 viewsCoco

FM 2020 thread on 13:44 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

Back to back promotions, but struggling big time in the PL, was doing ok but lost 4-1 to the scum at PR and 1 point in 8 since and can barely score a goal

Got to beat Hull (Championship) at home in 2nd leg to get in League Cup semi and still in FA Cup - currently 19th and don’t see how I’m going to stay up - Jan window just opened

Playing 442 with 2 DMs

JOE OUT!

is the game vastly different to fm19?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

FM 2020 thread on 14:01 - Jan 5 with 5294 viewsDubtractor

My Division 3 season seemed very similar to our real life one. Got off to a flier but really struggled over winter. Ended up promoted via playoffs.

Just finished first season in Championship, finished 12th, with really streaky form. For the most part I've played a diamond, pressing and countering, with very attacking full backs.

Offloaded several of the squad, but still have Holy, Woolfenden, KVY, Huws, Downes, Judge, Jackson, Dozzell, Keane as regular starters. With younger players getting plenty of time and Lankester now starting to make an impression.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

FM 2020 thread on 14:20 - Jan 5 with 5271 viewstractordownsouth

FM 2020 thread on 13:44 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

Playing 442 with 2 DMs

I haven’t scored in the first 3 games either, my aim is just not to get sacked and not lose to Norwich, although they’ve been solid mid table for my entire save...

Who have you signed? I managed to get Fejiri Okenabirhie from Shrewsbury for £1m and he scored 20 goals in all 3 Championship seasons. Bright Osayi Samuel was a really good buy too, although definitely my most expensive at £2m. Harry Brockbank ( 400k) was good too, but he kicked up a fuss and left for Forest in the January of the Promotion season. Turned out fine because they lost in the Play offs when we won.

Having gone up I’ve bought Aaron Ramsdale, Sidnei Tavares ( CM at Leicester irl), Sam Surridge, Ben Knight on loan and a regen CB from Borussia Dortmund
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 14:51]

FM 2020 thread on 14:25 - Jan 5 with 5260 viewstractordownsouth

FM 2020 thread on 14:01 - Jan 5 by Dubtractor

My Division 3 season seemed very similar to our real life one. Got off to a flier but really struggled over winter. Ended up promoted via playoffs.

Just finished first season in Championship, finished 12th, with really streaky form. For the most part I've played a diamond, pressing and countering, with very attacking full backs.

Offloaded several of the squad, but still have Holy, Woolfenden, KVY, Huws, Downes, Judge, Jackson, Dozzell, Keane as regular starters. With younger players getting plenty of time and Lankester now starting to make an impression.

I was tempted to move to a diamond to make use of all of our CMs but I scored so many from crosses I decided to continue with the 4-4-2 - a consistent formation makes a good difference.

My first Champ season was exactly the same, came in our usual 15th with really streaky form. Second Champ season I finished 11th, having been in the play off race until April.

I sold Jackson and Judge after season 2, they both did alright but they’re quite easily replaceable for cheap. I got £2.5m for Jackson from Paul Hurst’s Rotherham!

FM 2020 thread on 14:39 - Jan 5 with 5233 viewsHealysBackPocket

Went up as champions on last day of the season after starting last match in 4th - had an absolute flier until fixture congestion caught up with me in mid jan (6 games in 14 days at one point!) and had to claw it back with 5 games left to go.

Haven’t laid out any money (minus £50k for some youngster from Hamilton) but done some alright business on free’s for first season in Championship (Matty Taylor, Thierry Ambrose, Alfie Jones) and started off with 7 points from my first 4 games.

Huge amounts of players out on loan though - feeling like the championship equivalent of Chelsea!
FM 2020 thread on 14:40 - Jan 5 with 5231 viewspointofblue

Nearing the end of my second season at the moment. Limped over the line in League One, eventually finishing second on just 76 points, having a horrific Christmas (if you think a 0-0 draw at home to Gillingham was bad, try a 3-0 reverse) and at one point having five matches to save my job. I managed it thanks to a win over Peterborough and now I'm top of the Championship with a eleven point advantage over third with seven games remaining.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

FM 2020 thread on 14:49 - Jan 5 with 5193 viewstractordownsouth

FM 2020 thread on 14:39 - Jan 5 by HealysBackPocket

Went up as champions on last day of the season after starting last match in 4th - had an absolute flier until fixture congestion caught up with me in mid jan (6 games in 14 days at one point!) and had to claw it back with 5 games left to go.

Haven’t laid out any money (minus £50k for some youngster from Hamilton) but done some alright business on free’s for first season in Championship (Matty Taylor, Thierry Ambrose, Alfie Jones) and started off with 7 points from my first 4 games.

Huge amounts of players out on loan though - feeling like the championship equivalent of Chelsea!

Yeah I’ve loaned out Dobra for 5 seasons now as he doesn’t fit into my formation and I’ve released Simpson and Crowe. I didn’t even know how to search for players using criteria until season 3!

I’ve only ever played FM on mobile before so I’m not really one to give advice but the squad should be good enough to survive in the Championship so probably just work on a consistent formation for the first season.

Login to get fewer ads

FM 2020 thread on 14:50 - Jan 5 with 5191 viewstractordownsouth

FM 2020 thread on 14:40 - Jan 5 by pointofblue

Nearing the end of my second season at the moment. Limped over the line in League One, eventually finishing second on just 76 points, having a horrific Christmas (if you think a 0-0 draw at home to Gillingham was bad, try a 3-0 reverse) and at one point having five matches to save my job. I managed it thanks to a win over Peterborough and now I'm top of the Championship with a eleven point advantage over third with seven games remaining.

Wow that’s quite some turnaround... who have you bought/ sold?

FM 2020 thread on 14:57 - Jan 5 with 5180 viewspointofblue

FM 2020 thread on 14:50 - Jan 5 by tractordownsouth

Wow that’s quite some turnaround... who have you bought/ sold?

Norris returned to Wolves with Bart coming back from Millwall. I signed three players on loan from Manchester City - Katranis, Garcia and Meshino - plus a free transfer of a right winger from Atlanta United, Jon Gallagher, though he hasn't made much of an impact.

I haven't lost any players of note yet but likely to have a restructure in the summer with the older players - Chambers, Skuse, Sears, possibly Bart - moving on.

FM 2020 thread on 15:07 - Jan 5 with 5177 viewsHealysBackPocket

FM 2020 thread on 14:49 - Jan 5 by tractordownsouth

Yeah I’ve loaned out Dobra for 5 seasons now as he doesn’t fit into my formation and I’ve released Simpson and Crowe. I didn’t even know how to search for players using criteria until season 3!

I’ve only ever played FM on mobile before so I’m not really one to give advice but the squad should be good enough to survive in the Championship so probably just work on a consistent formation for the first season.

I’m the polar opposite of Lambert - I wont deviate away from my 4-1-4-1 much to the dismay of some of the fans apparently!

The only youngster I’ve managed to successfully integrate in my first season (Outside of Woolfenden) was Folami who finished my second highest scorer (behind Danny Rowe!)
FM 2020 thread on 15:12 - Jan 5 with 5169 viewstractordownsouth

FM 2020 thread on 14:57 - Jan 5 by pointofblue

Norris returned to Wolves with Bart coming back from Millwall. I signed three players on loan from Manchester City - Katranis, Garcia and Meshino - plus a free transfer of a right winger from Atlanta United, Jon Gallagher, though he hasn't made much of an impact.

I haven't lost any players of note yet but likely to have a restructure in the summer with the older players - Chambers, Skuse, Sears, possibly Bart - moving on.

Skuse barely played for me and was released in the first summer. It’s worth keeping Chambers round as a coach I reckon. Are the loans likely to stay if you go up? I’ve tried to avoid them but I now have 2.

FM 2020 thread on 15:13 - Jan 5 with 5165 viewstractordownsouth

FM 2020 thread on 15:07 - Jan 5 by HealysBackPocket

I’m the polar opposite of Lambert - I wont deviate away from my 4-1-4-1 much to the dismay of some of the fans apparently!

The only youngster I’ve managed to successfully integrate in my first season (Outside of Woolfenden) was Folami who finished my second highest scorer (behind Danny Rowe!)

Is it a flat midfield 4? That’s quite defensive, but fair play if it works. Folami is now in the starting XI for me but barely used him for the first 2 seasons. I’ve seen a few people say Danny Rowe is good for them in L1

FM 2020 thread on 15:46 - Jan 5 with 5133 viewsHealysBackPocket

FM 2020 thread on 15:13 - Jan 5 by tractordownsouth

Is it a flat midfield 4? That’s quite defensive, but fair play if it works. Folami is now in the starting XI for me but barely used him for the first 2 seasons. I’ve seen a few people say Danny Rowe is good for them in L1

Nah, 2 CM and then 2 advanced widemen so not quite as defensive as it sounds. Closer to 4-1-2-3 but game lists as 4-1-4-1 for some reason.
FM 2020 thread on 16:49 - Jan 5 with 5083 viewsitfcjoe

FM 2020 thread on 14:20 - Jan 5 by tractordownsouth

I haven’t scored in the first 3 games either, my aim is just not to get sacked and not lose to Norwich, although they’ve been solid mid table for my entire save...

Who have you signed? I managed to get Fejiri Okenabirhie from Shrewsbury for £1m and he scored 20 goals in all 3 Championship seasons. Bright Osayi Samuel was a really good buy too, although definitely my most expensive at £2m. Harry Brockbank ( 400k) was good too, but he kicked up a fuss and left for Forest in the January of the Promotion season. Turned out fine because they lost in the Play offs when we won.

Having gone up I’ve bought Aaron Ramsdale, Sidnei Tavares ( CM at Leicester irl), Sam Surridge, Ben Knight on loan and a regen CB from Borussia Dortmund
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 14:51]

First season best XI was (433)
Norris

KVY
Woolf
Nsiala
Garbutt

Downes
Skuse
Huws

Curtis Jones (L)
Jackson
Edwards - 19 goals

2nd year it was (442 - 2 DM)

Holy

KVY
Alfie Jones (Free)
Chambers
Nydam

Samuelson (Free)
Chirivella (Free - POTY)
Huws
Garbutt

Jackson
Kaziah Sterling (£600k - 22 goals)

And this year it is basically

Holy

Kevin Ruegg
Kourtney Hause
Tosin Adarabioyo
KVY

Fousseni Diabate
Chirivella
Luke Amos
Garbutt/Dobra

Jackson/Sterling
Sam Gallagher/Tyler Walker

FM 2020 thread on 17:47 - Jan 5 with 5032 viewspointofblue

FM 2020 thread on 15:12 - Jan 5 by tractordownsouth

Skuse barely played for me and was released in the first summer. It’s worth keeping Chambers round as a coach I reckon. Are the loans likely to stay if you go up? I’ve tried to avoid them but I now have 2.

I think all three will hang around if I want them to. Might go with Garcia for a further season but not quite so sure about the other two.

FM 2020 thread on 18:04 - Jan 5 with 5016 viewstractordownsouth

FM 2020 thread on 16:49 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

First season best XI was (433)
Norris

KVY
Woolf
Nsiala
Garbutt

Downes
Skuse
Huws

Curtis Jones (L)
Jackson
Edwards - 19 goals

2nd year it was (442 - 2 DM)

Holy

KVY
Alfie Jones (Free)
Chambers
Nydam

Samuelson (Free)
Chirivella (Free - POTY)
Huws
Garbutt

Jackson
Kaziah Sterling (£600k - 22 goals)

And this year it is basically

Holy

Kevin Ruegg
Kourtney Hause
Tosin Adarabioyo
KVY

Fousseni Diabate
Chirivella
Luke Amos
Garbutt/Dobra

Jackson/Sterling
Sam Gallagher/Tyler Walker

Oh yeah I remember you speaking about Nsiala being too slow for the high line. Chirivella has just played brilliantly in the FA Cup game, didn’t realise he’s on a free in FM. I’m finding it hard to get the balance between continuity and increasing quality for the Premier League. Surprised Jackson is still with you in the PL, he’s a below average Chanpionship striker on my save. I still have Garbutt too but I regret offering him a new one year deal, I’ve tried to trim the squad.

FM 2020 thread on 18:10 - Jan 5 with 5009 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Just played my first ever season and won the league by 8 points (should have been many more but lost last 3)

Playing 4-4-1-1

Judge top scorer in advanced playmaker role with 18.

Norwood and Jackson miss far too many chances.

Reached FA cup 1/4 final before I was slapped at PR by West Ham.

Started championship with played 8 (W2 D4 L2) and out of league cup in second round.
FM 2020 thread on 10:54 - Jan 6 with 4821 viewsKieran_Knows

Not with Ipswich unfortunately, but I'm FC Luzern in Switzerland.

Finished 2nd in the League behind Young Boys in the first season. Was never in the title race, Young Boys won the League with 5 games to go, then I ended up only being 2 points behind them (they lost 4 out of their last 5).

Had a bit of a mare in the 2nd season though. Didn't think I needed much to compete so just renewed the loan of my star striker Joshua Zirkzee from Bayern Munich .... and it back fired. Young Boys went and spent something like £20m (although they sold one player for that amount) and Basel invested close to £10m on new signings, so I now find myself fourth!

Board are not too happy, and one of my tasks for the 2nd season was to win the Swiss Cup. In the semi-final's at the moment, but have had to win 3 out of the 4 games currently on penalties!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

FM 2020 thread on 09:25 - Jan 7 with 4686 viewsRobTheMonk

Oh TWTD, what have you done to me? I'd managed to avoid FM2020 for years and then I saw this thread and couldn't resist.

I spent about 90 minutes on it last night much to the girlfriends annoyance haha. I've got my formation as a 4-2-3-1 telling my wide lads to run at their fullbacks and cross it in and for my attacking midfielder to shoot on site. Fullbacks to push on as well. I've not even played a game yet haha!

I'll be looking to sign an attacking LB at the earliest opportunity as I want to play Garbutt further forward.

What have you done to me TWTD? Haha!
FM 2020 thread on 09:28 - Jan 7 with 4679 viewsKieran_Knows

FM 2020 thread on 10:54 - Jan 6 by Kieran_Knows

Not with Ipswich unfortunately, but I'm FC Luzern in Switzerland.

Finished 2nd in the League behind Young Boys in the first season. Was never in the title race, Young Boys won the League with 5 games to go, then I ended up only being 2 points behind them (they lost 4 out of their last 5).

Had a bit of a mare in the 2nd season though. Didn't think I needed much to compete so just renewed the loan of my star striker Joshua Zirkzee from Bayern Munich .... and it back fired. Young Boys went and spent something like £20m (although they sold one player for that amount) and Basel invested close to £10m on new signings, so I now find myself fourth!

Board are not too happy, and one of my tasks for the 2nd season was to win the Swiss Cup. In the semi-final's at the moment, but have had to win 3 out of the 4 games currently on penalties!

Ended up finishing the 2nd season 3rd, some 22 points behind Young Boys (who won the league) and 18 points behind Basel in 2nd. Mare of a second season. I did win the Swiss Cup though, so think that keeps the board off my back for a while.

Got Zirkzee on loan for another 2 years (although trying to sign permanently), and trying to finalise a few other deals to hopefully get us back competing for the title.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

FM 2020 thread on 10:43 - Jan 8 with 4601 viewsRobTheMonk

Two pre-season games under my belt. One against the U23's which I won 2-1 but I wasn't happy with how they played. Got a home fixture against Canterbury and won 7-0 so was much happier with that!
FM 2020 thread on 10:46 - Jan 8 with 4595 viewsitfcjoe

I have 2 games left in the PL and am in 18th 1 point behind Leeds in 17th, with a worse goal difference, just conceded 2 late goals to West Ham to turn victory into defeat which is annoying.

Leicester at home, then Watford away - both mid table with nothing to play for but both much better than me! Will see how it goes tonight

FM 2020 thread on 11:30 - Jan 8 with 4558 viewsclive_baker

I'm playing a 5-3-2 with wingbacks and tika-taka. I started with it which didn't work, so I mixed it up but now i'm back to sexy football.

I won L1 in 1st season, generally with this:

Norris, Chambers, Nsiala, Woolfy, KVY, Garbutt, Dozzell, Judge, Nolan, Norwood, Keane.

Signed Quaner on loan who was highly effective too. Huws was in and out for Nolan.

2nd season expectation was to battle against relegation, and we just won the league. Scored a hat full of goals too. By the start of this season I had sold or released Holy, Edwards, Jackson, Skuse, Rowe, Donacien, Keane. Let Garbutt & Norris go back from loan too. Signed Scott Carson (free) & Shane Long (free) both on 1 year deals, Pennington (£400k) and 3 loanees from Liverpool - Liam Millar, Brewster & Jones. Line up was:

Carson, Chambers, Pennington, Nsiala, Kenlock, KYV, Judge, Bishop, Huws, Brewster, Millar.

Kenlock & KVY were phenomenal. Judge, Huws & Bishop too. Norwood was pants in Championship so phased him out. Difficult to keep Downes, Nolan & Dozzell happy but rotated them in cups and generally bring them on off the bench.

Need to prepare for life in the Premier League now and my squad is looking light with my 3 loanees going back, and contracts up for Chambers, Carson, Long & Sears who will all leave. Currently I've got a senior squad of:

GK:
D: KVY, Kenlock, Woolfy, Nsiala, Pennington, Nydam
M: Bishop, Nolan, Dozzell, Judge, Huws, Downes
S: Norwood

Notable Youths: Wright, Crowe, El Mizouni, Morris, Lancaster, Dobra.

I've got a lot of budget to play with though. Need to add 1 x senior keeper, 2 x defenders, 3 x strikers as a priority.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

FM 2020 thread on 11:43 - Jan 8 with 4532 viewsitfcjoe

FM 2020 thread on 11:30 - Jan 8 by clive_baker

I'm playing a 5-3-2 with wingbacks and tika-taka. I started with it which didn't work, so I mixed it up but now i'm back to sexy football.

I won L1 in 1st season, generally with this:

Norris, Chambers, Nsiala, Woolfy, KVY, Garbutt, Dozzell, Judge, Nolan, Norwood, Keane.

Signed Quaner on loan who was highly effective too. Huws was in and out for Nolan.

2nd season expectation was to battle against relegation, and we just won the league. Scored a hat full of goals too. By the start of this season I had sold or released Holy, Edwards, Jackson, Skuse, Rowe, Donacien, Keane. Let Garbutt & Norris go back from loan too. Signed Scott Carson (free) & Shane Long (free) both on 1 year deals, Pennington (£400k) and 3 loanees from Liverpool - Liam Millar, Brewster & Jones. Line up was:

Carson, Chambers, Pennington, Nsiala, Kenlock, KYV, Judge, Bishop, Huws, Brewster, Millar.

Kenlock & KVY were phenomenal. Judge, Huws & Bishop too. Norwood was pants in Championship so phased him out. Difficult to keep Downes, Nolan & Dozzell happy but rotated them in cups and generally bring them on off the bench.

Need to prepare for life in the Premier League now and my squad is looking light with my 3 loanees going back, and contracts up for Chambers, Carson, Long & Sears who will all leave. Currently I've got a senior squad of:

GK:
D: KVY, Kenlock, Woolfy, Nsiala, Pennington, Nydam
M: Bishop, Nolan, Dozzell, Judge, Huws, Downes
S: Norwood

Notable Youths: Wright, Crowe, El Mizouni, Morris, Lancaster, Dobra.

I've got a lot of budget to play with though. Need to add 1 x senior keeper, 2 x defenders, 3 x strikers as a priority.

I've done the same as you with double title win, but struggled big time in the PL - my advice would be to try and sign more players for lower fees - I spent £13m on a RB. He's been really good and is now worth £20m but doesn't do enough for me. Managed to pick up a few bargains on transfer listed players and top Championship players and they have mostly done well enough and massive increase in value.

I signed Toisin Adarabioyo on a Bosman, and after (literally) 1 game Lille bought him for £17m, my game then crashed and they offered the same deal and he turned down personal terms which was annoying as had decent enough cover (although he has been good for me)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024