Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sensible soccer anyone? 21:56 - Jan 7 with 1400 viewsCoastalblue

Loved that game and it's going to be on a stamp. I played every one of those games back in the day except Dizzy, don't remember that at all.

Looking at Elite, and seeing Elite Dangerous now shows just how far we have come in such a relatively short space of time with digital entertainment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51012498

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:03 - Jan 7 with 1374 viewsFunge

Hell yes. Would conservatively estimate I spent 5,000 hours playing that game between ages 13-16.

Custom team of choice was Enchanted XI; some prick of a developer at Elite was a budgie, so there was a Norwich XI on there. Irritating.

Became an expert at scoring Cundy-esque goals from just inside my own half.

Fairly large contributory factor in my mum kicking me out of the house when she saw my mock GCSE grades.
Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:03 - Jan 7 with 1364 viewsBluefish

Many years ago an ex colleague got me to come and play for his 5 a side team in saffron Walden, I got that and it was pointed out casually that one if the league opponents was the creator of sensible soccer. I was absolutely star struck, that game was incredible

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:04 - Jan 7 with 1366 viewsWicklowBlue

I played all of them except Dizzy and Wipeout. Elite was one of the first games I played on a school mates BBC Micro it blew my mind back then!

Then another friend had an Amiga and we played 2 player lemmings for hours on split screen it was hilarious!

We eventually got an Amiga and sensible soccer came out, remember a group of 8 of us playing the European Cup from 8pm until 6am as kids, I was FC Porto who won the final hehehe. We had worked out that get the ball to the player out wide on the wing just inside the opposition half and by pulling back at an angle on the joystick while shooting you'd score everytime. So the whole game was more or less based on not letting your opponent get into that position lol.

Then I got the PS1 and loved micro machines, incredibly frustrating but kept you coming back for more.

TWTD's
[Post edited 7 Jan 2020 22:06]
Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:11 - Jan 7 with 1343 viewsNthQldITFC

I use to love Kick Off and then Goal! on the Amiga. Overhead pseudo 3D, but 2D really, but man, that game flowed so much better than any modern 3D tosh I've seen.

"ANTI MODERN FOOTBALL"

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:14 - Jan 7 with 1329 viewsNthQldITFC

Used to love Wipeout on Playstation too. Was that the one that had a Garbage track on? Or was that some car racing game?

Tomb Raider was fun, but where's Crash Bandicoot!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:17 - Jan 7 with 1324 viewsFunge

Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:11 - Jan 7 by NthQldITFC

I use to love Kick Off and then Goal! on the Amiga. Overhead pseudo 3D, but 2D really, but man, that game flowed so much better than any modern 3D tosh I've seen.

"ANTI MODERN FOOTBALL"

Kick Off was doublehard b@stard to control, though - go in a straight line, no problem - 2 seconds later, ball out for a goal kick because I had no idea how to turn.
Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:17 - Jan 7 with 1324 viewsClapham_Junction

I was actually playing it yesterday with a friend from school - he was visiting from Australia and I dug out my old Megadrive. It really is still just as good as it always was. The version I have was from before they had proper marketing rights, so all the players have their names altered to use the next vowel. Arsenal are capitained by Tuny Edams.

He had an Amiga when we were teenagers and got the 95/96 version of SWOS, which we played endlessly for almost the entire sixth form. When I started playing, he often chose the worst team in the game - Once Lobos from the El Salvadoran fourth tier. A few years ago he was travelling through Central America and actually managed to find their ground, which had a horse grazing on the pitch. Good times.
Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:25 - Jan 7 with 1293 viewsWicklowBlue

"ANTI MODERN FOOTBALL"

Microprose Soccer on the Commodore 64 was excellent too. Especially when you scored a goal and it rewound the play in b+w to replay the goal.

Prior to that the Ultimate games for the Speccy were great, Sabre Wulf and Underworld really kept me fascinated. Prior to them Daley Thompson's Decathlon destroyed several joysticks through "waggling" and Beach Head was another addictive game!

Login to get fewer ads

Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:42 - Jan 7 with 1264 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I loved sensible soccer, I would beat anyone!

One word... playability!!

The makers also made a game called Cannon Fodder which was good.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:43 - Jan 7 with 1261 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:25 - Jan 7 by WicklowBlue

Microprose Soccer on the Commodore 64 was excellent too. Especially when you scored a goal and it rewound the play in b+w to replay the goal.

Prior to that the Ultimate games for the Speccy were great, Sabre Wulf and Underworld really kept me fascinated. Prior to them Daley Thompson's Decathlon destroyed several joysticks through "waggling" and Beach Head was another addictive game!

I had Microprose Soccer on a cartridge for the C64.

That was the only game I had on Cartridge, loaded in an instant.

Had forgotten about that game for c.30 years!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:54 - Jan 7 with 1242 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

"ANTI MODERN FOOTBALL"

Great Amiga football games in the 90's

Striker
Kick Off
Goal
Sensible Soccer
Sensible World of Soccer
Man Utd Premier Champions

Premier Manager
Championship Manager

Oh those really were the days!!

Sensible soccer anyone? on 23:05 - Jan 7 with 1216 viewsdavblue

Sensible soccer anyone? on 22:54 - Jan 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Great Amiga football games in the 90's

Striker
Kick Off
Goal
Sensible Soccer
Sensible World of Soccer
Man Utd Premier Champions

Premier Manager
Championship Manager

Oh those really were the days!!

Romario on SS was better than the real life version and that’s saying something!
Sensible soccer anyone? on 23:12 - Jan 7 with 1196 viewsBaltachaFanClub

https://sensiblesoccer.de/

It’s back. 2020 version available

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024