Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... 08:18 - Jan 8 with 2164 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

....or any other Baltic/Central/East European Cities to visit for 3 nights in June. Will be travelling with my 20 year old son and as we went to Krakow last summer and had a great time, would like to visit the old Eastern bloc again. Must be fairly cheap(ish) and easily accessible.
Recommendations please to the above or suitable alternatives.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 08:21 - Jan 8 with 1578 viewsLord_Lucan

Out of those I've only been to Bratislava and to be honest I thought it was sh1te.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 08:26 - Jan 8 with 1559 viewsHerbivore

I've been to Riga and liked it very much. Pretty old town, loads of bars.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 08:39 - Jan 8 with 1530 viewsTractorBoy

Riga is great. Would also recommend Budapest for its Ruin Bars.
You’ll run out of things to do quickly in Wroclaw - I went in November for the Xmas markets and couldn’t imagine it being exciting without them!
Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 08:39 - Jan 8 with 1529 viewsartsbossbeard

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 08:26 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

I've been to Riga and liked it very much. Pretty old town, loads of bars.

Second the Riga upvote and the Bratislava downvote.

The only redeeming feature of Bratislava being the UFO Tower over the river, which provided one of the best meals I've ever eaten but apart from that it seemed to be filled with mad, drunken locals.

Riga was ace, loads of little bars in the old part, decent shopping and decent eateries. We stayed in a rather modern hotel just over the river from the old town, which provided excellent views back across and made for a decent little stroll to & from.

There's a Museum of Communism in the old town, which is well worth a visit and provides a really interesting look on how things were under Soviet rule.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:21 - Jan 8 with 1457 viewsGuthrum

Vilnius was great. Lots of historical architecture, good restaurants and bars. Not expensive. Friendly people. Flights to there or to Kaunas (the former capital 1919-40, big castle) and take the train.

Trakai Castle is a short trip from the city:

As an alternative: I spent a few days in Gdansk in September. Nice old town, lots of historical stuff, Baltic beaches very nearby at Sopot. Not expensive if you avoid the very touristy places right in the centre (and even then, it's not bad). Direct flights from Luton.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:29 - Jan 8 with 1445 viewsElephantintheRoom

I used to work in all three Baltic states and each have their interests and charms.... if ogling beautiful women is your thing then you could do a lot worse than Vilnius. All three capitals get more than their fair share of tourists now though.

If you want to be adventurous, a friend of mine does a lot of charity work in the Ukraine and speaks very highly of it (not that I've been)..... and you CAN visit Chernobyl

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:30 - Jan 8 with 1438 viewsSomethingBlue

Belgrade and Sarajevo are both stunning, in different ways — give them serious consideration.

Plenty to do in Budapest too and certainly easy to get there.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:33 - Jan 8 with 1427 viewsStokieBlue

I've been to Tallinn and Riga and of the two I preferred Tallinn. I would caveat it with the fact it was in winter and there is something rather lovely about a snow covered old town.

Felt the old town was nicer in Tallinn but Riga's was good as well and plenty to do in both cities. The Kumu gallery is a must in Tallinn as is the museum in the Zeppelin hangars. The food market in the hangars in Riga is excellent as well as is the soviet skyscraper just behind them and the national library.

They also are doing cheap flights to St. Petersburg now which is a fabulous place but more complicated with visas etc and more expensive when you are there.

Happy to provide suggestions on any of them if you decide to go.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:36 - Jan 8 with 1414 viewsitfcjoe

Budapest is great, I also like Warsaw

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:37 - Jan 8 with 1411 viewsartsbossbeard

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:33 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

I've been to Tallinn and Riga and of the two I preferred Tallinn. I would caveat it with the fact it was in winter and there is something rather lovely about a snow covered old town.

Felt the old town was nicer in Tallinn but Riga's was good as well and plenty to do in both cities. The Kumu gallery is a must in Tallinn as is the museum in the Zeppelin hangars. The food market in the hangars in Riga is excellent as well as is the soviet skyscraper just behind them and the national library.

They also are doing cheap flights to St. Petersburg now which is a fabulous place but more complicated with visas etc and more expensive when you are there.

Happy to provide suggestions on any of them if you decide to go.

SB

Is St Petersburg a long weekend type of destination - is it worth the visa hassle for a couple of nights?

I was planning to go last year but Oz got in the way. Weather wise, would Easter be a good time to visit, would you know??

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:43 - Jan 8 with 1394 viewsitfcjoe

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:37 - Jan 8 by artsbossbeard

Is St Petersburg a long weekend type of destination - is it worth the visa hassle for a couple of nights?

I was planning to go last year but Oz got in the way. Weather wise, would Easter be a good time to visit, would you know??

My World Cup Russian visa was extended to allow for tourism but couldn't make a weekend break there work sadly - second time I've tried without success to get there, first one was a crusie that ended there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:45 - Jan 8 with 1385 viewsartsbossbeard

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:43 - Jan 8 by itfcjoe

My World Cup Russian visa was extended to allow for tourism but couldn't make a weekend break there work sadly - second time I've tried without success to get there, first one was a crusie that ended there

I watched a couple of programmes on the Russian revolution recently and it looks ace, would love to visit.

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:47 - Jan 8 with 1377 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Thanks all. Some great information there. Am liking the sound of Riga, but will delve a little deeper into the other suggestions. My son wants to do Chernobyl at some point in the future so that may be for another day.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:50 - Jan 8 with 1365 viewsclive_baker

I know a lot of people rave about Riga, but I wasn't overly keen on it, the same can be said for Bratislava. Really enjoyed Tallin and Vilnius though, especially Tallin. I went there directly from Riga, and they were like chalk and cheese. It's not massive, but there's a bit to do and the centre is really lovely.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:50 - Jan 8 with 1361 viewsSomethingBlue

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:37 - Jan 8 by artsbossbeard

Easter would be a very good time to visit and, besides, it's a wonderful city. Have spent quite a bit of time there. The visa stuff isn't as bad as it looks (most of the time!) but I'd be sceptical about two nights — probably need three or four to begin doing it justice, there is such a lot going on there.

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:51 - Jan 8 with 1360 viewsParky

Went to Tallin a few years back and absolutely loved it, so much to do and see. - The bars in the 'old town' are very decent too.

We got on a boat early one morning and went to Helsinki for the day, which again was lovely and would recommend.
Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:54 - Jan 8 with 1348 viewsStokieBlue

The time of the visit depends on what you want. It's very hot in the summer and can be very cold in the winter (it's been -35C when I've been there before but nothing like that temperature for years). I prefer the winter as I think it adds something but Easter should be good as well, it's neither hot or cold but might be a bit rainy.

You could spend a couple of nights there but I'd argue that unless you're going to go back you would probably want 3/4 nights at least as there is a lot to see both in and around the city. It's a short flight though (2.5 hours) so you could easily go back again if you liked it after a short weekend.

The visa process is a pain unless you have an EU passport which isn't a UK one in which case there is an agreement when you can go for up to a week (I think) without a visa. The UK is excluded as we don't really get on too well with each other. I'd add the visa isn't that cheap if you want one - been a few years since I got one but I think it could be up to a 100 - best to check.

Happy to help with suggestions on places to visit in and about the city if you decide to go.

SB
[Post edited 8 Jan 2020 9:57]

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:54 - Jan 8 with 1346 viewsartsbossbeard

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:50 - Jan 8 by SomethingBlue

Easter would be a very good time to visit and, besides, it's a wonderful city. Have spent quite a bit of time there. The visa stuff isn't as bad as it looks (most of the time!) but I'd be sceptical about two nights — probably need three or four to begin doing it justice, there is such a lot going on there.

Cheers, thanks for this.

Worth a ponder.

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:56 - Jan 8 with 1342 viewsStokieBlue

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:36 - Jan 8 by itfcjoe

Budapest is great, I also like Warsaw

I did 12 days driving around Hungary and I was surprised that Budapest wasn't actually my favourite place. If you get the chance Pecs is brilliant but no direct flights. Need to head down from Budapest.

Debrecen is great if you like vast open plains and Tokaj.

SB

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:58 - Jan 8 with 1330 viewsSomethingBlue

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:54 - Jan 8 by artsbossbeard

Cheers, thanks for this.

Worth a ponder.

Do it. If you need any more specific info sometime, just drop me a line.

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 10:00 - Jan 8 with 1318 viewsartsbossbeard

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:58 - Jan 8 by SomethingBlue

Do it. If you need any more specific info sometime, just drop me a line.

Brilliant, cheers!

It's exam year for Beard Jnr, so Mrs Beard has advised that our normal Easter long haul trip isn't happening but I'm sure we can wangle 2/3 nights somewhere.

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 10:03 - Jan 8 with 1308 viewsartsbossbeard

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 09:54 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

The time of the visit depends on what you want. It's very hot in the summer and can be very cold in the winter (it's been -35C when I've been there before but nothing like that temperature for years). I prefer the winter as I think it adds something but Easter should be good as well, it's neither hot or cold but might be a bit rainy.

You could spend a couple of nights there but I'd argue that unless you're going to go back you would probably want 3/4 nights at least as there is a lot to see both in and around the city. It's a short flight though (2.5 hours) so you could easily go back again if you liked it after a short weekend.

The visa process is a pain unless you have an EU passport which isn't a UK one in which case there is an agreement when you can go for up to a week (I think) without a visa. The UK is excluded as we don't really get on too well with each other. I'd add the visa isn't that cheap if you want one - been a few years since I got one but I think it could be up to a 100 - best to check.

Happy to help with suggestions on places to visit in and about the city if you decide to go.

SB
[Post edited 8 Jan 2020 9:57]

Brilliant thanks to you, also!

EU passports all round too. Great!

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 10:08 - Jan 8 with 1300 viewsIpswichKnight

Tallin is proper lovely, wife and I went in October 18. Plenty of places to see and visit and was very cheap, taxi's were cheap and the tram even cheaper!
Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 11:23 - Jan 8 with 1240 viewsHerbivore

Also, if you fancy a bit of Eastern European vibe crossed with a lovely southern European climate you could do a lot worse than Croatia. Great place.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tallin, Riga, Vilnius, Bratislava, Wroclaw.... on 11:25 - Jan 8 with 1230 viewsKieran_Knows

I didn't know this until I got back, but if you went to Bratislava you can train to Vienna in one hour. I'm sure someone said they're the 2 closest capital cities in the World (although I couldn't tell you if that was 100% correct or not).

But from what people are saying, doesn't look like Bratislava is any good, and Vienna is just about tolerable.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024