Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting article 10:24 - Jan 8 with 710 viewsGuthrum

on one impact of intensive farming methods required to supply the new demand for alternatives to animal-based foodstuffs.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/07/honeybees-deaths-almonds-hiv

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Interesting article on 10:39 - Jan 8 with 674 viewschicoazul

Hmmm.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Interesting article on 10:47 - Jan 8 with 660 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes, I read that earlier. A good piece and raises a lot of questions about what really is ethical/better for us and the enviornmet. It also ties in quite nicely with Stokie's thread on lab grown bacteria as a food source - yum!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interesting article on 10:50 - Jan 8 with 657 viewsitfcjoe

Interesting article on 10:47 - Jan 8 by Swansea_Blue

Yes, I read that earlier. A good piece and raises a lot of questions about what really is ethical/better for us and the enviornmet. It also ties in quite nicely with Stokie's thread on lab grown bacteria as a food source - yum!

I think food miles is the biggest thing - if you only eat what you can be produced and bought within a 20-30 mile radius from your house things would be better - things would be eaten seasonally too.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Interesting article on 10:59 - Jan 8 with 623 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting article on 10:50 - Jan 8 by itfcjoe

I think food miles is the biggest thing - if you only eat what you can be produced and bought within a 20-30 mile radius from your house things would be better - things would be eaten seasonally too.

I'd agree in general. We're luck to have a farmert's market in walking distance so rarely buy anything fruit/veg from teh supermarket. We're still guilty of buying some things that have been grown on the other side of the planet and out of season, but a lot less than we used to.

Although having said that, aren't bananas supposed to be relatively good becasue they don't need chilling/heating unlikle some stuff (e./g salads) grown out of season in the UK/Europe? Something like that anyway.

We never really know the environmental footprint of foods when we buy them. I suppose that information is out there somewhere on t'internet.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interesting article on 11:04 - Jan 8 with 610 viewsclive_baker

Completely agree Joe. The reality is the evidence and analysis doesn't exist for a true, see-through environmental impact of a full supply chain, but my take has always been to eat as local as possible. That feels far more sustainable, and I do try and do that. The issue is we've become accustomed to lots of great foods that don't exist locally, and it's hard to give those up (even simple things like rice).

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Interesting article on 11:26 - Jan 8 with 579 viewsitfcjoe

Interesting article on 11:04 - Jan 8 by clive_baker

Completely agree Joe. The reality is the evidence and analysis doesn't exist for a true, see-through environmental impact of a full supply chain, but my take has always been to eat as local as possible. That feels far more sustainable, and I do try and do that. The issue is we've become accustomed to lots of great foods that don't exist locally, and it's hard to give those up (even simple things like rice).

And being used to having things all year round

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Interesting article on 13:31 - Jan 8 with 522 viewsGuthrum

We also wouldn't be able to feed the population, particularly of the major urban centres. Even in the pre-railway era, cattle were driven (on the hoof) long distances to London and other larger cities.

Tho it is a very good point regarding seasonal and luxury items.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024