Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kevin Beattie statue 11:48 - Jan 9 with 1392 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Kevin Beattie statue on 11:55 - Jan 9 with 1372 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I have spoke about this a few times.

Firstly, the Beat is a legend and intend no disrespect. However, Beat played under 300 games for us, he is by all accounts the best player we have ever had (I was never lucky enough to see him play) but is he more worthy of a statue than Wark, Mills, Crawford, Burley, Phillips, Butcher etc etc

We cant have statues for everyone, it would be ridiculous. I came up with the idea of a legends wall . Something like a hall of fame but visible. It could have the faces of the players carved in or something like that with a brief little bit of writing about them on their square or brick or whatever. It could honour the 81 team 62 team even the great modern players like Holland.

On the flip side, as the Beat is accepted by fans and players alike as the greatest, maybe that does qualify it for him. Im not against it, just thing there are players who need honouring as much as him

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Kevin Beattie statue on 11:59 - Jan 9 with 1351 viewsPhilTWTD

Kevin Beattie statue on 11:55 - Jan 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

Firstly, the Beat is a legend and intend no disrespect. However, Beat played under 300 games for us, he is by all accounts the best player we have ever had (I was never lucky enough to see him play) but is he more worthy of a statue than Wark, Mills, Crawford, Burley, Phillips, Butcher etc etc

We cant have statues for everyone, it would be ridiculous. I came up with the idea of a legends wall . Something like a hall of fame but visible. It could have the faces of the players carved in or something like that with a brief little bit of writing about them on their square or brick or whatever. It could honour the 81 team 62 team even the great modern players like Holland.

On the flip side, as the Beat is accepted by fans and players alike as the greatest, maybe that does qualify it for him. Im not against it, just thing there are players who need honouring as much as him

There was talk in the committee about how to honour the other legends and a wall along those lines was discussed, so may well be what ultimately happens as and when, although I assume the committee will disband once the statue is up.

Regarding Beat warranting a statue more than other players of that era, many of the ex-players have said that he was the best of them all and hence was worthy of a greater tribute.
Kevin Beattie statue on 12:02 - Jan 9 with 1340 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:04 - Jan 9 with 1332 viewsitfcjoe

I think you'd struggle to do any more - but it wouldn't exactly be controversial if Johnny Wark, or Mick Mills or a few others were to get one

We are lucky to have some serious legends at the club, and would be nice if there was some sort of proper classy memorial to the teams of 62, 78 and 81

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:05 - Jan 9 with 1315 viewsBryanPlug

Kevin Beattie statue on 11:59 - Jan 9 by PhilTWTD

There was talk in the committee about how to honour the other legends and a wall along those lines was discussed, so may well be what ultimately happens as and when, although I assume the committee will disband once the statue is up.

Regarding Beat warranting a statue more than other players of that era, many of the ex-players have said that he was the best of them all and hence was worthy of a greater tribute.

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:20 - Jan 9 with 1261 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Lets be honest, there are likely to be any more club legends created any time soon.

No harm in having more statues for those deserving of it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:26 - Jan 9 with 1248 viewshampstead_blue

I had assumed they had got PP before raising funds and pressing the Go button.

Seems rather risky. Unless of course it was a formality.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:35 - Jan 9 with 1222 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:26 - Jan 9 by hampstead_blue

Can you imagine it getting refused?!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:43 - Jan 9 with 1209 viewsIllinoisblue

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:02 - Jan 9 by BryanPlug

Statues should just be Ramsey and Robson. Singling out players from all the greats we’ve had is unfair.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:48 - Jan 9 with 1190 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I understand that. I can't wait to see the statue.

Love that wall idea and hope it happens as well.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:59 - Jan 9 with 1180 viewsPJH

I think your second paragraph sums it up Phil, he really was the best of them all.

I fully understand that it must be hard for people that did not see the great man play to appreciate just how good he was.

Also people that did not see him might think that those of us that did go over the top in our assessment of him but we really don't.

Any word that can be used to describe a footballer's abilities can be used to describe The Beat.

RIP
[Post edited 9 Jan 2020 14:15]
Kevin Beattie statue on 13:14 - Jan 9 with 1151 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well Chambo's almost getting to the point where he's his own statue out on on the pitch

I'd have gone for a statue to Mick Mills, it would be a lot cheaper than the Beat's too.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Kevin Beattie statue on 13:15 - Jan 9 with 1158 viewsPhilTWTD

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:26 - Jan 9 by hampstead_blue

The committee has been working closely with IBC throughout. Indeed, one member of the committee is a councillor.

Further to that, I think you have to know precisely what is being proposed and where it's going to go before applying for approval, so obviously couldn't have been sorted until some while through the process.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Kevin Beattie statue on 13:21 - Jan 9 with 1131 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:59 - Jan 9 by PJH

I think your second paragraph sums it up Phil, he really was the best of them all.

I fully understand that it must be hard for people that did not see the great man play to appreciate just how good he was.

Also people that did not see him might think that those of us that did go over the top in our assessment of him but we really don't.

Any word that can be used to describe a footballer's abilities can be used to describe The Beat.

RIP
[Post edited 9 Jan 2020 14:15]

You were one of the lucky ones PJH. Not just to see the Beat but that era in general. Jealous isn't even the word.

I guess it comes down to how you quantify who is deserving of a statue. If it comes down to ability then it is Beat. Fans say it, ex players say it.

If it is for service then you could make a case that players like Burley, Wark and Mills were 'better' servants? Tell me if I am wrong because you know far more than me about it and that era.

That being said I am incredibly excited to see the statue and I am not against the idea of his statue.

A statue of the whole 81 team! on 13:37 - Jan 9 with 1097 viewsunstableblue

For the remaining corner opposite!

Obviously hugely expensive and impractical - but whole teams can be done:

Perhaps its a subset of the team, with the others named, as per:

I just think calling out individuals from that team is wrong. It was simply one of the best club teams in UK history:

GK 1 England Paul Cooper
DF 2 England Steve McCall
DF 3 England Mick Mills (c)
MF 4 Netherlands Frans Thijssen
DF 5 England Russell Osman
DF 6 England Terry Butcher
MF 7 Scotland John Wark
MF 8 Netherlands Arnold Mühren
FW 9 England Paul Mariner
FW 10 Scotland Alan Brazil
FW 11 England Eric Gates

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

A statue of the whole 81 team! on 13:51 - Jan 9 with 1066 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

A statue of the whole 81 team! on 13:37 - Jan 9 by unstableblue

I just think calling out individuals from that team is wrong. It was simply one of the best club teams in UK history:

GK 1 England Paul Cooper
MF 7 Scotland John Wark
FW 11 England Eric Gates

Would look like the terracotta army

A statue of the whole 81 team! on 13:52 - Jan 9 with 1067 viewsElephantintheRoom

A statue of the whole 81 team! on 13:37 - Jan 9 by unstableblue

GK 1 England Paul Cooper
MF 7 Scotland John Wark
FW 11 England Eric Gates

Just not as good as the Villa team of the same year - at home or in Europe, or so the record books will unfortunately show for evermore - despite what happened in the league and cup match ups.

Beattie is probably so popular for the same reason Kurt Cobain always seems to win the best rock band of all time awards..... his peak was awesome to behold -- and there was little else to tarnish the legend because his career was unfortunately very brief for all manner of reasons.

In my memory, which may well be wrong, he was a shadow of the player he once was probably as young as 22.... 1975 was when the injuries started to take a real toll.... which when you consider how long it takes players to get established nowadays is something to ponder on.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I'm liking your thinking.... on 13:59 - Jan 9 with 1044 viewsunstableblue

A statue of the whole 81 team! on 13:51 - Jan 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

Would look like the terracotta army

Will be cheaper.... we can include a horse?!

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Kevin Beattie statue on 14:20 - Jan 9 with 1001 viewsPJH

Kevin Beattie statue on 13:21 - Jan 9 by TRUE_BLUE123

You were one of the lucky ones PJH. Not just to see the Beat but that era in general. Jealous isn't even the word.

I guess it comes down to how you quantify who is deserving of a statue. If it comes down to ability then it is Beat. Fans say it, ex players say it.

If it is for service then you could make a case that players like Burley, Wark and Mills were 'better' servants? Tell me if I am wrong because you know far more than me about it and that era.

That being said I am incredibly excited to see the statue and I am not against the idea of his statue.

You are not wrong in saying that there were others from that time(and before) that can truly be called greats and certainly Mills and Wark in particular could justify a statue.

As regards "service" then but for injuries-or a transfer-Kevin Beattie would have been right up there because although he only started 296 games for us he was only 27 when he played the last of those-an F.A. Cup semi final at that.
Kevin Beattie statue on 14:38 - Jan 9 with 966 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Kevin Beattie statue on 14:20 - Jan 9 by PJH

You are not wrong in saying that there were others from that time(and before) that can truly be called greats and certainly Mills and Wark in particular could justify a statue.

As regards "service" then but for injuries-or a transfer-Kevin Beattie would have been right up there because although he only started 296 games for us he was only 27 when he played the last of those-an F.A. Cup semi final at that.

I would have loved to see him play, mainly for his heading. That goal against Scotland (I think) people kept saying, he was the height of the bar and I was like a bit of hyperbole.

But no, he actually did it.

Kevin Beattie statue on 17:40 - Jan 9 with 895 viewshampstead_blue

Kevin Beattie statue on 12:35 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Can you imagine it getting refused?!

Exactly.

After raising all that money from individuals.

It does seem rather ham fisted.
Shall we call for whomever is the Project Manager to be sacked? PM Out!!!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024