Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our style of football 23:54 - Jan 9 with 2728 viewsFTP

Do you still enjoy watching, is it exciting, is it worth your expense and effort? I am honestly in limbo for the first time in 30+ years. Is it just me or any others thinking of bailing for a bit?
Our style of football on 00:06 - Jan 10 with 2207 viewsIllinoisblue

Hard to say what our style or identity is. A collection of strangers moSt week.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Our style of football on 06:17 - Jan 10 with 2117 viewsm14_blue

Our style of football on 00:06 - Jan 10 by Illinoisblue

Exactly this, we don’t have a recognisable style at all.

Which is a big part of the problem.
Our style of football on 06:37 - Jan 10 with 2107 viewsoldbluey

I probably won’t renew my season ticket at the end of this season. Started going to Portman Rd with my Grandfather and dad about 70 years ago but I really don’t think I can face another season of failure and frustration.

Poll: Chopra - do you want him to stay or want him to go?

Our style of football on 07:16 - Jan 10 with 2050 viewsBlueySwede

I enjoyed parts of last season and parts and the beginning of this, when we actually attack teams with a bit of pace and counter attacks. However we struggle with doing this for longer periods of time. We have gone back to hoofing too much (I don´t mind the odd long ball, as long it´s done with purpose) and I don´t think it´s in the game plan. We are just lacking ideas/right combination of players in midfield. We need a settled team (one or two changes are ok) and a formation to stick with.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2020 7:16]
Our style of football on 07:35 - Jan 10 with 2007 viewsbobbyramsey

Our style of football on 06:37 - Jan 10 by oldbluey

I probably won’t renew my season ticket at the end of this season. Started going to Portman Rd with my Grandfather and dad about 70 years ago but I really don’t think I can face another season of failure and frustration.

Our style of football on 07:53 - Jan 10 with 1972 viewsKeaneish

This is nowhere near as bad as some of the football served up in the last 30 years and far from it, why bail now?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Our style of football on 08:17 - Jan 10 with 1939 viewshomer_123

Under Hurst and Lambert we can play decent football for a short period of time - 10 to 20 mins but very rarely, do we do this for the majority of a match.

Under Mick - we were dogged, determined and set out not to lose - so, often the football quality was lower but the final result better.

Under Jewell, at least you saw goals, albeit we could win 3 or 4 nil or get stuffed 3 or 4 nil

Keane - 4 centre backs across the back four but, again, at times we could play

Magilton - I would say he's the last manager we had where we actually got the ball down and tried to play - we had an identity.

Royle - we'll score one more than you - it was a blast!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Our style of football on 08:19 - Jan 10 with 1934 viewsElephantintheRoom

A style of football generally comes from a settled side does it not - or making the most of what you have got? And lately we have been watching teams that in all probability have never played together before.

But in answer to your question no.... and I'm not sure I have much at any time since Jim Magilton was manager..... too much turnover of players.... and indeed managers.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Our style of football on 08:21 - Jan 10 with 1928 viewsHerbivore

I don't enjoy watching us. Some people will try to argue the football is better, I disagree. Several times this season we've failed to register a single shot on target. In League 1. It's really poor.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our style of football on 08:22 - Jan 10 with 1930 viewsChrisd

I'm still working this out at the minute, so feel I can't possibly comment.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Our style of football on 08:26 - Jan 10 with 1921 viewsHerbivore

Our style of football on 07:53 - Jan 10 by Keaneish

This is nowhere near as bad as some of the football served up in the last 30 years and far from it, why bail now?

We're playing turgid football in League 1 against glorified pub sides. I'd say it's the worst I've been served up in my time. Rotherham, Doncaster and Gillingham games stand out as being esepcially dire.

Our style of football on 08:37 - Jan 10 with 1914 viewsGeoffSentence

It's a mixed bag for me, there are parts of some games where we have looked terrific, Sunderland, Wycombe and Bristol Rovers for instance, but interspersed with utter crap, often in the same game.

All in all I enjoy more of what I watch now than in those last, fraught days of Mick's regime.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Our style of football on 09:22 - Jan 10 with 1896 viewsitfcjoe

Probably not, there are games this season which have been as bad as anything served up under Mick but in a division lower with big budget.

We've barely played any good football since Evans has been here, no wonder he doesn't know what it looks like - the worst thing is he now thinks he has a technical manager in place to change it but it isn't happening, at all

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our style of football on 09:28 - Jan 10 with 1878 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What seasons were actually really worse though?

A couple where we got relegated from the Prem? Obviously 94/95 in particular was an utter disaster, but at least we it was happening against absolute top teams and there was hope of bouncing back

Keane? Some dreadful dreary runs but when it got really bad he went and we made a change

Jewell? As above except rather than dreary goals were flying in (mostly against us), and again when it got really bad a change was made

McCarthy? Obviously the football at its worst was terrible, but we got plenty of results and finished in the top half 4 times out of 5.

Only the year we finished 16th under McCarthy can really come close IMO, and now the style of football served up is still terrible and yet we’re in a division below, doing it against the likes of Accrington rather than Leeds. Oh, and despite it recently getting far worse the manager has just been handed a 4 year contract extension

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Our style of football on 09:46 - Jan 10 with 1850 viewsr2d2

The last 30 years? What planet are you on?
Our style of football on 09:52 - Jan 10 with 1844 viewschicoazul

30 years. Since 1990. Mad argument. *ALL* the worst football in that period has come in the last 4 seasons or so.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Our style of football on 09:54 - Jan 10 with 1834 viewsHerbivore

Our style of football on 09:52 - Jan 10 by chicoazul

30 years. Since 1990. Mad argument. *ALL* the worst football in that period has come in the last 4 seasons or so.

Most of it in the last one and a half.

Our style of football on 11:02 - Jan 10 with 1775 viewsKeaneish

Our style of football on 09:28 - Jan 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

What seasons were actually really worse though?

A couple where we got relegated from the Prem? Obviously 94/95 in particular was an utter disaster, but at least we it was happening against absolute top teams and there was hope of bouncing back

Keane? Some dreadful dreary runs but when it got really bad he went and we made a change

Jewell? As above except rather than dreary goals were flying in (mostly against us), and again when it got really bad a change was made

McCarthy? Obviously the football at its worst was terrible, but we got plenty of results and finished in the top half 4 times out of 5.

Only the year we finished 16th under McCarthy can really come close IMO, and now the style of football served up is still terrible and yet we’re in a division below, doing it against the likes of Accrington rather than Leeds. Oh, and despite it recently getting far worse the manager has just been handed a 4 year contract extension

Not seasons, every season has its ups and downs but there have been worse periods of football in my opinion. I think everyone is looking at this season through the microscope of the last 6 games or so, which other than Wycombe have been pretty dross in fairness. I'm not arguing it's great at the moment and far from it but PL's saving grace is that it's not straight league defeats, had it been, he may well have been gone by now, at least, that should have been the case.

John Duncan and Paul Hurst fight it out for worst manager and that hapless 14 game run under Keane and 13 games under Jewell were equally as bad with some massive tonkings to boot Peterborough(!) and Blackpool (!).

This period and the football we've played in the main are not as bad as that in those winless runs in the above mentioned periods. However, should we not return a big point haul from our remaining games in Jan, i may well side with the OP.

Our style of football on 11:17 - Jan 10 with 1755 viewsHerbivore

Our style of football on 11:02 - Jan 10 by Keaneish

Not seasons, every season has its ups and downs but there have been worse periods of football in my opinion. I think everyone is looking at this season through the microscope of the last 6 games or so, which other than Wycombe have been pretty dross in fairness. I'm not arguing it's great at the moment and far from it but PL's saving grace is that it's not straight league defeats, had it been, he may well have been gone by now, at least, that should have been the case.

John Duncan and Paul Hurst fight it out for worst manager and that hapless 14 game run under Keane and 13 games under Jewell were equally as bad with some massive tonkings to boot Peterborough(!) and Blackpool (!).

This period and the football we've played in the main are not as bad as that in those winless runs in the above mentioned periods. However, should we not return a big point haul from our remaining games in Jan, i may well side with the OP.

I'd say when you factor in the context of us now being a third division side, but a well funded third division side, this run is comfortably as bad as any you list. I know you really want things to work out for Lambert, we would (mostly) all like that, but let's not gloss over how poor we've been for a very significant chunk of his tenure.

Our style of football on 11:38 - Jan 10 with 1714 viewsSwansea_Blue

Our style of football on 00:06 - Jan 10 by Illinoisblue

Precisely. We don't have a particular "footballing" style, we just mix it up. It's not especially an issue from a supporter perspective as I'd say the majority of teams are the same. And a lot of fans don't care as long as they are winning. There are very few teams who I'd say retain a persistent, distinctive "technical footballing" style. Liverpool have now for a little while (tied to Klopp though rather than the club), City have (again tied to a manager). United did under Fergusson but more possession-based direct football with width.

I'm struggling to think of many teams where you'd say they are known for playing in a precise way at virtually any cost. Tony Pulis' teams often did - kick, rush, win second balls, not pretty. Swansea is a positive example, as they were consistent in their possession based, almost tiki-taka, 4231 under Martinez, Souza, Rodgers, Laudrup, Monk (first year only), and last year again after a bit of a gap (but not any more). They consistently over-achieved because of this identity. If we were able to duplicate how they played and what they achieved, I'd be delighted, but it's a slim chance.

Our most distinctive style recently was under Mick, were remarkably consistent in the way we played, just not entertaining. But now? Nah, it's just a mish mash with no uniqueness and we get no edge over other teams as a result.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Our style of football on 11:39 - Jan 10 with 1710 viewsKeaneish

Our style of football on 11:17 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

I'd say when you factor in the context of us now being a third division side, but a well funded third division side, this run is comfortably as bad as any you list. I know you really want things to work out for Lambert, we would (mostly) all like that, but let's not gloss over how poor we've been for a very significant chunk of his tenure.

I think we all need it to work out for PL rather than necessarily want it to - it's imperative we go back up this season. I'm not glossing over how abject its been and we've been on the same page for the most part this season.

The difference between PL and Keane and Jewell is that its so easy to fix this bad run and walk this league, in my opinion but he has to remedy the wrongs starting tomorrow and provide consistency. If he fails to do that then i'll have no objection ranking him lower than the afore mentioned.

Our style of football on 11:40 - Jan 10 with 1707 viewsReuser_is_God

We don't have one.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Our style of football on 11:47 - Jan 10 with 1688 viewsHerbivore

Our style of football on 11:39 - Jan 10 by Keaneish

I think we all need it to work out for PL rather than necessarily want it to - it's imperative we go back up this season. I'm not glossing over how abject its been and we've been on the same page for the most part this season.

The difference between PL and Keane and Jewell is that its so easy to fix this bad run and walk this league, in my opinion but he has to remedy the wrongs starting tomorrow and provide consistency. If he fails to do that then i'll have no objection ranking him lower than the afore mentioned.

That's all fair enough. My worry is the run without a win is now 12 games and I've not really seen much (any) evidence of Lambert having a clue how to fix it. I'm not sure how much longer we ought to give it before we conclude that he just isn't up to the job. Let's hope for a win tomorrow, ideally a convincing one, and the start of a turning of the corner.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2020 12:05]

Our style of football on 11:55 - Jan 10 with 1671 viewsSwansea_Blue

Our style of football on 11:39 - Jan 10 by Keaneish

We all feel it's essential we go up this year because all we've known is continuing decline under ME. I feel if we don't our time in League 1 will mirror the Championship and we could be looking at dropping down again.

But*, if we were to work towards the particular identity ME talks about and it would take us another 18 months to get there, I'd be happy enough with that as long as I could see progress. We'd be better equipped going up in that scenario than we are currently. And it may take us 18 months to find the next key players who can grow with us (I think we need a whole new spine to the team to do what ME wants; Chambo and Skuse probably aren't part of that sadly).

*It's a HUGE 'but' though - needs a complete overhaul of the way we do things, which may have started, but I'm not convinced it has by looking at what's happening on the pitch.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2020 11:57]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Our style of football on 12:14 - Jan 10 with 1654 viewsChrisd

Our style of football on 08:26 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

We're playing turgid football in League 1 against glorified pub sides. I'd say it's the worst I've been served up in my time. Rotherham, Doncaster and Gillingham games stand out as being esepcially dire.

It doesn't say much when you are bad mouthing other L1 sides and we're struggling to beat them or even losing to some of them. To me, doesn't that equate to us being a pub side ourselves? This is the thing I find laughable, we seem to have this high opinion of ourselves and in reality what we are producing on the pitch is very much in-keeping with the league we are currently playing. We really aren't superior, 23 games, slowly sliding down the league under a manager that is clueless should highlight that fact.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2020 12:23]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024