Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out 12:13 - Jan 10 with 2449 viewsGerkensBeard

He’s not quite as good as everyone thinks.
Yes I will say he’s been our best and most consistent midfielder this season. But I question where how big his potential really is.
Look I’d love us to build a team round him, future captain and all that but that just doesn’t happen in football anymore.
You have to look at where we are at as a club. If we go up we will be deemed a lower end championship club in which Flynn will instantly go from a side as a big fish to a little fish scenario.
In his championship appearances he’s looked competent. But unlike Dozzell I don’t think I’ve ever though he could seriously play in the premier league.
I’m not sure he has the technical ability. You can’t just be an all action midfielder in the prem. You’ve got to also have either an eye for a pass or basically be a defensive machine in the CDM role. I’m not sure he’s got either attributes.

If we were offered silly money I’d take it. Because if we were promoted, I can’t see us being above 14th come this stage next season. Where his value may decrease by being in a weaker team and not being as effective.

But only sell if it’s a Keiron Dyer scenario where we re-invest. Heavily
Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:23 - Jan 10 with 2392 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Whether Downes is good enough for the Prem has no relevance to our short, medium or long term future.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:25 - Jan 10 with 2384 viewsitfcjoe

He is much better than giving him credit for - technically much better and a good eye for a pass and able to execute it. Players don't hang around the England set up without that these days.

Plus the money wouldn't be re-invested in a way that will appease the fans, it will be into the running costs at our current level - he won't be sold for £6m with 2 x £2m players coming in

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:27 - Jan 10 with 2362 viewsSteve_M

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:25 - Jan 10 by itfcjoe

He is much better than giving him credit for - technically much better and a good eye for a pass and able to execute it. Players don't hang around the England set up without that these days.

Plus the money wouldn't be re-invested in a way that will appease the fans, it will be into the running costs at our current level - he won't be sold for £6m with 2 x £2m players coming in

Quite.

And even if the objective was to sell for as much money as possible then that's only going to happen in the Championship.

We don't need more players - a couple of areas of obvious weakness aside - we need to get more collectively out of those we have.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:27 - Jan 10 with 2359 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's one of the few I'd want to base this supposedly new re-build around.

Probably our only decent saleable assets at the moment though - so no doubt he'll go if the price is right.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:30 - Jan 10 with 2332 viewsportmanking

Revisionist nonsense.
Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:30 - Jan 10 with 2331 viewskizaitfc

But what suggests the players we bring in will be any better.

You only have to look at last season to see evidence of that.

IMO we should not be getting rid of quality to gamble on buying more players who may not fit the mould, we should be looking to offload deadwood and bring in the odd player to hopefully strengthen this squad

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:32 - Jan 10 with 2321 viewsGerkensBeard

He’s alright technically, but not sure if technically good enough around other premier league players. I’d say his ceiling would be a top end championship club
Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:35 - Jan 10 with 2297 viewsHerbivore

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:32 - Jan 10 by GerkensBeard

He’s alright technically, but not sure if technically good enough around other premier league players. I’d say his ceiling would be a top end championship club

No idea what you're basing that on. He's technically very sound, very good first touch and doesn't often give the ball away. He can pick a pass too. I don't see what you can have seen in Dozzell to think he's a Prem player whilst writing Downes off at that level. Downes has been far, far, far better for the first team here than Dozzell.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:44 - Jan 10 with 2250 viewsReuser_is_God

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:35 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

No idea what you're basing that on. He's technically very sound, very good first touch and doesn't often give the ball away. He can pick a pass too. I don't see what you can have seen in Dozzell to think he's a Prem player whilst writing Downes off at that level. Downes has been far, far, far better for the first team here than Dozzell.

Probably based on the myth that you get more time on the ball in the Prem.

You don't, players just look like they have more time because they're so much better.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:48 - Jan 10 with 2217 viewskizaitfc

We have more recent history than Dyer in this scenario,

See Mings, Cresswell, Murphy, Waghorn and Webster sales.

Didn't plan out particularly well.

We need to stop selling our best players and rebuilding and start keeping a decent squad together for at least a season or 2.

I would like to stop the days where I bring a mate along to the football once every season and have to explain who almost every player is as the squad is completely different to the last season he came to watch Ipswich.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:55 - Jan 10 with 2187 viewsGerkensBeard

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:48 - Jan 10 by kizaitfc

We need to stop selling our best players and rebuilding and start keeping a decent squad together for at least a season or 2.

I would like to stop the days where I bring a mate along to the football once every season and have to explain who almost every player is as the squad is completely different to the last season he came to watch Ipswich.

I’m speaking from the view of what it looks like the club is going to do.
Lambert seems very keen to sell as he wants to build his own squad.

Yes he’s technically sound. But did his technical ability stand out at any time in the championship last season? No. You could say Nolan is technically sound as are a lot of our players. I’m just saying i think premier league clubs which many may have only seen him play a a few times see these things.

1. English
2. Under 21
3. £££££

Luckily for clubs outside the premier league these players are valued so highly which sometimes doesn’t reflect how good they may actually be.

See Josh Murphy
Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:56 - Jan 10 with 2182 viewsDarth_Koont

Exactly. The League One "jolly" means we need money now more than we ever have under Evans.

At a push we could re-invest if we sold both Downes and Woolfenden but that rather defeats the purpose when they are our best players and key to us surviving if we get promoted back to the Championship.

All goes to show how critical it is to get promoted this year and how concerning it is that we're back in the pack, out of form and still haven't established our best team, formation or any cohesive pattern to our play.

Pronouns: He/Him

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 13:00 - Jan 10 with 2160 viewskizaitfc

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:55 - Jan 10 by GerkensBeard

I’m speaking from the view of what it looks like the club is going to do.
Lambert seems very keen to sell as he wants to build his own squad.

Yes he’s technically sound. But did his technical ability stand out at any time in the championship last season? No. You could say Nolan is technically sound as are a lot of our players. I’m just saying i think premier league clubs which many may have only seen him play a a few times see these things.

1. English
2. Under 21
3. £££££

Luckily for clubs outside the premier league these players are valued so highly which sometimes doesn’t reflect how good they may actually be.

See Josh Murphy

Problem is I'm sure this is what was said when Mings and Cresswell were sold, we ended up spending on loans and free transfers.

When Webster and Waghorn were sold we ended up buying players who seemed good on paper but ended up struggling.

Downes is one of our best players and I would certainly say his talent was noticeable last season hence why we are even having the discussion about selling him. I see no reason why we should accept a discounted price just because we are in League 1, if he wants to go and the price is right then its a different story. But I just cannot see anyone paying big money for a League 1 player.

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 13:02 - Jan 10 with 2147 viewskizaitfc

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:32 - Jan 10 by GerkensBeard

If as you say he isnt good enough for the prem what in earth makes you think we would get a decent amount of money for him.

If you can see "he isnt good enough" surely a premier league scout would see this.

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 13:57 - Jan 10 with 2003 viewsGerkensBeard

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 13:02 - Jan 10 by kizaitfc

If as you say he isnt good enough for the prem what in earth makes you think we would get a decent amount of money for him.

If you can see "he isnt good enough" surely a premier league scout would see this.

Because he’s English and under 21.
Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 14:05 - Jan 10 with 1970 viewsHerbivore

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 13:57 - Jan 10 by GerkensBeard

You honestly think that's all the scouts will look out for and that you've spotted flaws in his game that they haven't?

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 14:06 - Jan 10 with 1966 viewsHerbivore

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:48 - Jan 10 by kizaitfc

Cresswell is a poor example, we reached the play offs the season after we sold him for the first time in a decade.

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 15:39 - Jan 10 with 1847 viewskizaitfc

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 13:57 - Jan 10 by GerkensBeard

Is Flynn the only one in the EFL, bloody hell we have a rare one on our hands!

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 15:43 - Jan 10 with 1832 viewskizaitfc

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 14:06 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

Cresswell is a poor example, we reached the play offs the season after we sold him for the first time in a decade.

We may have done, but can you tell me who we signed with the Cresswell money?

As far as I can remember I think the only player that really made a difference to the club going forwards was Bart.

We did not go out and actually reinvest.

So my point is not how we performed after selling a player it is the likelihood of actually reinvesting in players that are ultimately going to benefit the team going forwards

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 15:44 - Jan 10 with 1829 viewskizaitfc

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 15:43 - Jan 10 by kizaitfc

We may have done, but can you tell me who we signed with the Cresswell money?

As far as I can remember I think the only player that really made a difference to the club going forwards was Bart.

We did not go out and actually reinvest.

So my point is not how we performed after selling a player it is the likelihood of actually reinvesting in players that are ultimately going to benefit the team going forwards

FYI, check the Transfer in on the Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_Ipswich_Town_F.C._season

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 16:21 - Jan 10 with 1740 viewsbraveblue

But you know we never fully reinvest. It would go to Group Treasury and we would have lost our best midfielder.
Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 16:41 - Jan 10 with 1720 viewsMullet

"We want our club back" to this past 48hrs' "Get a big lump in....sell Downes" in a hop skip and a jump is the barmiest thing about all of this.

WTF has happened to our fanbase under Evans? I'm sure some of it is external stuff like the Prem money and media, but Christ, which is it lads?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 16:43 - Jan 10 with 1714 viewsartsbossbeard

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 12:27 - Jan 10 by Steve_M

Quite.

And even if the objective was to sell for as much money as possible then that's only going to happen in the Championship.

We don't need more players - a couple of areas of obvious weakness aside - we need to get more collectively out of those we have.

Exactly, if we don't get out of this pub league this season, it's not down to the players on the books, it's down to how they've been used.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 17:01 - Jan 10 with 1656 viewsartsbossbeard

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 16:41 - Jan 10 by Mullet

"We want our club back" to this past 48hrs' "Get a big lump in....sell Downes" in a hop skip and a jump is the barmiest thing about all of this.

WTF has happened to our fanbase under Evans? I'm sure some of it is external stuff like the Prem money and media, but Christ, which is it lads?

Makes I laugh and makes a mockery of all the crowing about the footy style not being the Ipswich way.

Whilst playing in a lower league now.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 17:06 - Jan 10 with 1628 viewsHerbivore

Cash in on Flynn Downes. Hear me out on 15:44 - Jan 10 by kizaitfc

FYI, check the Transfer in on the Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_Ipswich_Town_F.C._season

Bart and Stephen Hunt both ended up playing important roles for us in the play off season. Freddie also came in during January and made an important contribution.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024