Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
After threads this week 09:57 - Jan 11 with 809 viewshector_clifford

about Tyrone Mings and Keiffer Moore,
It got me thinking about some of his other lower league buys.
I then remembered about Paul Digby from Barnsley reserves.
I then remembered how well he played, when we drew 0-0 at Middlesbrough.
I now can't envisage how we could get a draw at Middlesbrough, now or even if we got promoted and played them next season.
I know it was time for Mick to go, but I'm missing those first 3 years. It was direct, but winning football, with the bit of class coming from Mcgoldrick, and you always heard opposition managers and players saying how they hated playing us. That was our identity and I liked it.
I would rather be like that again, than trying to be something we are not, technical, or could ever be without serious money.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

After threads this week on 10:08 - Jan 11 with 765 viewsmonty_radio

But it didn't last as a permanently successful identity did it? Those who said they hated playing against it were joined by too many who said they hated watching it. Mind you, I'm starting to feel that way again unless we find a way to create more effectively.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

After threads this week on 10:15 - Jan 11 with 748 viewsHerbivore

After threads this week on 10:08 - Jan 11 by monty_radio

But it didn't last as a permanently successful identity did it? Those who said they hated playing against it were joined by too many who said they hated watching it. Mind you, I'm starting to feel that way again unless we find a way to create more effectively.

The last 18 months have been worse in terms of the football, imo. We create nothing, even now we're in the third tier. Mick's last season we finished 12th in the Championship and first half of the season we were playing some decent stuff and scoring goals. People want to make out that was the nadir of ITFC so they feel better about how genuinely awful we are now. I'd trade what we have now for being a competitive Championship side in a heartbeat. If the football was genuinely better it'd be easier to stomach, but it really isn't. Several times this season we've had zero shots on target. For all the talk of Mick being a negative manager that happened very rarely during his tenure here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

After threads this week on 10:26 - Jan 11 with 710 viewshector_clifford

After threads this week on 10:08 - Jan 11 by monty_radio

I think it could have been maintained if we had been able to find good, similar replacements for Anderson, Tabb and Stephen Hunt.
I thought they were quite integral to our style and success and enabled us to play a solid 442 and offer support to the 2 central midfielders, as well as good supply from out wide.
They also offered cover to allow Cresswell and Mings to bomb forward.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

After threads this week on 10:34 - Jan 11 with 707 viewscbower

After threads this week on 10:15 - Jan 11 by Herbivore

The last 18 months have been worse in terms of the football, imo. We create nothing, even now we're in the third tier. Mick's last season we finished 12th in the Championship and first half of the season we were playing some decent stuff and scoring goals. People want to make out that was the nadir of ITFC so they feel better about how genuinely awful we are now. I'd trade what we have now for being a competitive Championship side in a heartbeat. If the football was genuinely better it'd be easier to stomach, but it really isn't. Several times this season we've had zero shots on target. For all the talk of Mick being a negative manager that happened very rarely during his tenure here.

12th in the Championship. Above Norwich and Leeds if I remember correctly. Norwich in the Premier League and Leeds top of Championship now. Players like Waghorn, Garner, Webster, Bialkowski and McG on the books. Dozzell and Downes making breakthrough along with Nydam. Knudsen, a World Cup player at Denmark. Always able to attract an exciting loan here and there - Fraser, Lawrence, Celina. How much would it have taken to really kick on? I think Mick wanted to be more expansive but his midfield plans were blown away with injuries to Huws, Bish and Dozzell. Yes, he was dour. Yes, he was stubborn. Yes, he gave it back to the fans (clearly that was viewed as a serious crime by some) and out of necessity the tactics became more 'don't lose' at times but we finished 12th in a league we are currently dreaming of getting back into. He wasn't doing that bad a job to get all the flak he did. His final Town team would demolish anything Lambert has assembled 9 times out of 10.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2020 10:39]

bluescouser

After threads this week on 10:45 - Jan 11 with 677 viewsHerbivore

After threads this week on 10:34 - Jan 11 by cbower

12th in the Championship. Above Norwich and Leeds if I remember correctly. Norwich in the Premier League and Leeds top of Championship now. Players like Waghorn, Garner, Webster, Bialkowski and McG on the books. Dozzell and Downes making breakthrough along with Nydam. Knudsen, a World Cup player at Denmark. Always able to attract an exciting loan here and there - Fraser, Lawrence, Celina. How much would it have taken to really kick on? I think Mick wanted to be more expansive but his midfield plans were blown away with injuries to Huws, Bish and Dozzell. Yes, he was dour. Yes, he was stubborn. Yes, he gave it back to the fans (clearly that was viewed as a serious crime by some) and out of necessity the tactics became more 'don't lose' at times but we finished 12th in a league we are currently dreaming of getting back into. He wasn't doing that bad a job to get all the flak he did. His final Town team would demolish anything Lambert has assembled 9 times out of 10.

We often played decent stuff under Mick. It was never tika taka but we often played on the front foot with tempo and were able to create chances. The season after we lost in the play offs we lost Fraser, Didz and Bishop for massive chunks of the season. When you lose three of your most skillful and creative players it's not easy to still play expansively. But when Mick had ball players available he played them and much of our play went through them.

The season after was dire, we never recovered from losing Murphy and we still had no Didz or Bishop for most of the season.

His last year here with Waghorn and Didz both playing well in the first half of the season, Garner too in fairness, we played some good stuff. Sunderland, Forest, and Sheffield Wednesday home games spring to mind as being really good performances where we scored good goals and could have scored more. Have we produced a single performance as good as any of those three games over 90 minutes since Mick left? No chance. It all went to pot in the final season when Didz got injured again and both Garner and Waghorn missed games too. The atmosphere turned toxic and it was the beginning of the end then.

The revisionism is quite hilarious though. Sure there were some dire performances under Mick but it was far from all bad and it was a damn sight better than what's been served up since he left.

After threads this week on 11:00 - Jan 11 with 653 viewsmonty_radio

After threads this week on 10:15 - Jan 11 by Herbivore

I personally don't want to "make out" anything. I can only say that after 50 years of watching Town I had never been so consistently bored as when watching latter-day Mick, and I stopped going for about 4 months.

I grant you that the "feelgood" of the present seems to be based on almost no solid evidence, and that a few early-season games which went for us masked deficiencies that Lambert seems unable to address, or even face up to.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

After threads this week on 11:03 - Jan 11 with 643 viewsHerbivore

After threads this week on 11:00 - Jan 11 by monty_radio

I personally don't want to "make out" anything. I can only say that after 50 years of watching Town I had never been so consistently bored as when watching latter-day Mick, and I stopped going for about 4 months.

I grant you that the "feelgood" of the present seems to be based on almost no solid evidence, and that a few early-season games which went for us masked deficiencies that Lambert seems unable to address, or even face up to.

Fair enough. The only time as a season ticket holder that I've missed a run of games was the end of last season as it was just awful watching us go down without a whimper. Horses for courses I guess.

Total rubbish.... on 11:04 - Jan 11 with 639 viewsBloots

After threads this week on 10:34 - Jan 11 by cbower

….it would be 10 times out of 10.

TWTD Leadership Group: Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Anti-Bullying Crusader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024