Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we sell Woolfenden this month... 18:05 - Jan 11 with 2403 viewsKieran_Knows

... this club may as well pack it in.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:07 - Jan 11 with 2035 viewsTractorCam

Do we have a recall on Toto?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:09 - Jan 11 with 2018 viewsRomeo4

He’s good enough to play a level higher, just hope that’s with Town rather than us cashing in in January.
If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:10 - Jan 11 with 2007 viewstractorboy7777

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:07 - Jan 11 by TractorCam

Do we have a recall on Toto?

I hope not. We can’t sell Woolfenden then if it will leave us short of options

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:13 - Jan 11 with 1974 viewsGuthrum

In an ideal world, I'd agree. But if a Prem side come calling (with a commensurate level of money) it will be very difficult to hold onto him.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:14 - Jan 11 with 1952 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How many times has this sort of thing been said?

If we sell the promising young lad it must be for very good money and with good sell-on clauses, but no club in League 1 can say to a player "we are not going to allow you the chance to play in the Premier League".

I said ever since I saw him last season that I believe Woolfenden will play at that level. I believe the same about Downes and Dozzell (and Bishop if he can stay fit).

Of course the ideal is they all stay and play in the Premier League with us.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:36 - Jan 11 with 1859 viewsIllinoisblue

In all seriousness, any bid over 25million should be considered

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:46 - Jan 11 with 1829 viewsTerry_Nutkins

If it would be £20million we have no choice. That gives us a huge injection.

there is zero chance of that. Shef Utd will be thinking more like £5-6 mil which would be outrageous in my optinion. £10mil is about market value but that would still be the wrong call in my view.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:51 - Jan 11 with 1804 viewstractorboy7777

If we sell either/both of Downes or Woolfenden now, what’s the point of talking about building a team when you sell players who are becoming integral parts of the team when they’ve not even played 100 league games between them!

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

Login to get fewer ads

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 19:33 - Jan 11 with 1710 viewsstrikalite

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:46 - Jan 11 by Terry_Nutkins

If it would be £20million we have no choice. That gives us a huge injection.

there is zero chance of that. Shef Utd will be thinking more like £5-6 mil which would be outrageous in my optinion. £10mil is about market value but that would still be the wrong call in my view.

£12-15m in today's market would be about right imo, 15% sell on too, not on profit, on the TOTAL figure he goes for..

The only possibility would be for them to then loan him back til the end of the season, it's not like they really need him anyway...

Everyone happy with my deal? :)

Thought not :/
If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 19:45 - Jan 11 with 1657 viewsMercian

We need to keep the young lads. Woolfy and Downes have really stepped up, Doz has started to show what he is capable of though he needs both more game time and consistency. Other young lads waiting the wings or injured like Lankester, Morris, Idris and Dobra all have the potential to have good careers in front of them. Unfortunately ME's philosophy means that those futures will be at other clubs.
If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 19:48 - Jan 11 with 1644 viewsTractorWood

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 19:33 - Jan 11 by strikalite

£12-15m in today's market would be about right imo, 15% sell on too, not on profit, on the TOTAL figure he goes for..

The only possibility would be for them to then loan him back til the end of the season, it's not like they really need him anyway...

Everyone happy with my deal? :)

Thought not :/

£5m incoming. Evans bites hand off.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 19:48 - Jan 11 with 1635 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 19:45 - Jan 11 by Mercian

We need to keep the young lads. Woolfy and Downes have really stepped up, Doz has started to show what he is capable of though he needs both more game time and consistency. Other young lads waiting the wings or injured like Lankester, Morris, Idris and Dobra all have the potential to have good careers in front of them. Unfortunately ME's philosophy means that those futures will be at other clubs.

It's not ME's philosophy though, is it? It is the nature of professional sport. No club in League 1 can deny a young player the chance to go to the Premier League. All they can do is ensure they are properly compensated for the development of the player they are passing on.

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 19:58 - Jan 11 with 1607 viewsMercian

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 19:48 - Jan 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's not ME's philosophy though, is it? It is the nature of professional sport. No club in League 1 can deny a young player the chance to go to the Premier League. All they can do is ensure they are properly compensated for the development of the player they are passing on.

True, but i honestly think despite poor recent from, today excluded, we will still be promoted at the end of the season. None of them, even Downes who IMO is among the top players in the division, are ready to play Premier League football. If we fail to get promoted than sure, if we do get promoted we will need these guys to mature just to tread water in the Championship.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2020 19:59]
If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:26 - Jan 11 with 1552 viewsChurchman

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 18:13 - Jan 11 by Guthrum

In an ideal world, I'd agree. But if a Prem side come calling (with a commensurate level of money) it will be very difficult to hold onto him.

Absolutely right. But I’d add any Championship side to that. Even Charlton, Brentford, Reading, Millwall are a big step up for him and he’d be mad not to take any option that furthers his career, if it comes his way.
If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:31 - Jan 11 with 1522 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 19:58 - Jan 11 by Mercian

True, but i honestly think despite poor recent from, today excluded, we will still be promoted at the end of the season. None of them, even Downes who IMO is among the top players in the division, are ready to play Premier League football. If we fail to get promoted than sure, if we do get promoted we will need these guys to mature just to tread water in the Championship.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2020 19:59]

As you say they are not ready which means they are most likely to be signed and loaned back to us or to a Championship club. However, if that means they are on much better money and with a likelihood of being part of a Premier League squad in a season we can't compete with that.

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:34 - Jan 11 with 1510 viewstextbackup

I wouldn't cry, but I would feel like it.

he is fcking superb

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:35 - Jan 11 with 1504 viewsSomethingBlue

It would be such a false economy. As I just said in another thread, half a season in the Champ would see him worth eight figures in today's market.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:36 - Jan 11 with 1494 views3_5_2

agree, Wolf is a class act and it will happen at some point

Given our abundance of midfield players it would hurt us less if we let one of those go, given his lack of starts Doz would be my choice

With Skuse not getting any younger, Downes is almost 1st choice defensive MF now and needs to be kept

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:40 - Jan 11 with 1488 viewsitfcjoe

I said Sheff U should look at him after the Blackpool game, the way he played from that CB role would suit them to a tee.

That bit of play when he knocked it in for Keane was sexual, he's a class act - him and Chambers were great in that role today

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:45 - Jan 11 with 1463 viewsElderGrizzly

He’s worth probably £3m tops, so the club should put a £10m valuation on him and see what happens. No-one is going to pay anywhere near that for a CB with half a season in League 1.

Same applies to Downes. We’d be lucky to see £7m between them right now.

Keep them a season, get promoted and we could be talking £20m for the pair
If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:47 - Jan 11 with 1451 viewstextbackup

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:45 - Jan 11 by ElderGrizzly

He’s worth probably £3m tops, so the club should put a £10m valuation on him and see what happens. No-one is going to pay anywhere near that for a CB with half a season in League 1.

Same applies to Downes. We’d be lucky to see £7m between them right now.

Keep them a season, get promoted and we could be talking £20m for the pair

I honestly don't think either of them are desperate to jump ship.... lets for once be in control of this situation

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:51 - Jan 11 with 1431 viewsitfcjoe

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:26 - Jan 11 by Churchman

Absolutely right. But I’d add any Championship side to that. Even Charlton, Brentford, Reading, Millwall are a big step up for him and he’d be mad not to take any option that furthers his career, if it comes his way.

Don't be silly with that list of 4 clubs

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:57 - Jan 11 with 1392 viewsMullet

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 20:51 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

Don't be silly with that list of 4 clubs

Quite. But if the Blunts want him they'll take him and Evans will snap at anything that bridges that TV money gap. Stay down this season and we'll be desperate to sell, so it depends how much faith ME has in promotion or how much stomach he has to put cash in.

That's just where we are at thanks to relegation unfortunately. I guess we might structure any potential deal to pay dividends over the next few seasons at least. But what do Div 3 players move for? Even Lookman was somewhat of an anomaly wasn't he?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Keep until summer, because of structured deals on 21:12 - Jan 11 with 1339 viewsScottCandage

Here's why we need to keep our players until summer.

Let's say a fair price for Woolfie is 6 mil. The deal will probably be structured as three yearly 2 mil payments. Let's assume (as has seems to have been the practice) that ME takes half to "pay himself back" for his investments (which is fair). That leaves PL with 1 mil a year. But ME also demands that the money "given" to PL to fund purchases also pay for an incoming players wages. 5K a week = 260K per year. Therefore, PL would be able to buy one 750K player a year for three years, fully funded.

However, we need to get out of League One THIS SEASON. Therefore, we would be replacing Woolfie (a 6 mil rated player) with one 750K rated player this season, and still be expected to go up.

Now do the same thing with Downes. We'd end up replacing him with a lower rated player again, making it that much harder to gain promotion.

Keep the boys together until summer and reassess.
If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 21:24 - Jan 11 with 1283 viewsPilgrimblue

If we sell Woolfenden this month... on 19:48 - Jan 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't think that any of our stars are good enough to play in Prem at the moment. If we can hang on to them until next season and hopefully we'll be in Championship then they'll be worth even more.
It's a big step from L1 and Prem teams like to buy players that are going to improve their squad now. Problem is that Champ teams will be prepared to take a risk if it gets them to the promised land. For me there's no point in any signing for Leeds etc only to see them fail to get promoted.
Town and the players need to be patient, the money will come. The players need the opportunity and we need the money.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024