Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Milk Slop 03:37 - Jan 12 with 4361 viewsLord_Lucan

I've just shared a couple of PMs with Jeera about weird foods and it got me thinking.

My odd bod father in law used to eat something he called milk slop, it was basically a couple of rounds of bread in a bowl covered with hot milk - it may have contained onions from memory but I could possibly have dreamt that bit.

Has anyone else heard of this ridiculous dining experience?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Milk Slop on 08:04 - Jan 12 with 3902 viewsLRB84UK

Yes!! This has stirred something in the back of my mind, someone used to do this, possibly my grandad? Or it might have been something mum did if the dog was poorly, but i have heard of it. Not with the onions though! Grandad also used to have bread and oxo. Petty sure he used to crumble the oxo cube on top of the bread. That always seems a bit odd too
The other grandad used to survive on a diet of brown sauce sandwiches. It must be a grandad thing!
Milk Slop on 08:33 - Jan 12 with 3866 viewsnorfsufblue

My dad used to put huge lumps of bread in milky porridge and Chuck in loads of butter ,he'd then give it a big stir and get stuck in... he absolutely loved it but it looked horrendous!
Milk Slop on 10:38 - Jan 12 with 3784 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Milk Slop on 08:33 - Jan 12 by norfsufblue

My dad used to put huge lumps of bread in milky porridge and Chuck in loads of butter ,he'd then give it a big stir and get stuck in... he absolutely loved it but it looked horrendous!

We had similar as kids, especially when poorly or sore throat . And sometimes with cocoa powder added.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Milk Slop on 10:59 - Jan 12 with 3761 viewsGuthrum

That's pretty much bread sauce*, the essential accompaniment to turkey or chicken.

* Milk, bread, onion
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 11:00]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Milk Slop on 11:00 - Jan 12 with 3757 viewsGaryCooper

Milk Slop on 10:38 - Jan 12 by Tangledupin_Blue

We had similar as kids, especially when poorly or sore throat . And sometimes with cocoa powder added.

We also had similar as kids, except we had it for external use to draw a splinter!
Milk Slop on 11:21 - Jan 12 with 3734 viewsLord_Lucan

Milk Slop on 10:59 - Jan 12 by Guthrum

That's pretty much bread sauce*, the essential accompaniment to turkey or chicken.

* Milk, bread, onion

You are missing the vital ingredient Guthers - cloves!

I bloody love bread sauce, a toasted bread sauce sandwich when you are hungover is the absolute b0llocks, especially with a bit of sloppy stuffing.

I'm starting to salivate now and for some reason I really fancy a spam fritter right now accompanied with that cheap dried golden rice sh1t.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Milk Slop on 11:24 - Jan 12 with 3726 viewsLord_Lucan

Milk Slop on 10:59 - Jan 12 by Guthrum

* Milk, bread, onion

I remember now, it wasn't onions he had with it, he used to sprinkle sugar all over it.

Milk Slop on 12:00 - Jan 12 with 3693 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Milk Slop on 11:00 - Jan 12 by GaryCooper

We also had similar as kids, except we had it for external use to draw a splinter!

In the 1950s as a kid I injured a finger which then turned septic. My mother made a bread poultice to draw out the pus. Could be the same thing you are alluding to.

Login to get fewer ads

Milk Slop on 12:03 - Jan 12 with 3682 viewsSteve_M

On that subject, I've just read this which contians some lovely food. Pretty sure J2's eggs are in there too.

https://www.economist.com/international/2020/01/09/what-a-museum-of-disgusting-f

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Milk Slop on 12:36 - Jan 12 with 3659 viewsJ2BLUE

Milk Slop on 11:21 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

I bloody love bread sauce, a toasted bread sauce sandwich when you are hungover is the absolute b0llocks, especially with a bit of sloppy stuffing.

I'm starting to salivate now and for some reason I really fancy a spam fritter right now accompanied with that cheap dried golden rice sh1t.

Good god...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Milk Slop on 12:48 - Jan 12 with 3646 viewsfabian_illness

On a bread theme...

My great grandmother used to bake bread, once cool enough she would cut it lengthways (at 90 degrees to your usual sliced loaf), slather it in butter and home made jam, then roll it up to make the most glorious rolly-poly type arrangements.

She also used to give us condensed milk on toast.
Milk Slop on 12:58 - Jan 12 with 3632 viewsclive_baker

Sounds vile.

My mum used to eat a slice of bread with a teaspoon of sugar sprinkled over it as a treat when she was a kid. They didn't have a pot to p1ss in so maybe it was a consequence of that, or maybe it was a northern thing. No idea but I remember her trying to pass it off on me a few times as dessert or a snack. Weird.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Milk Slop on 13:11 - Jan 12 with 3615 viewsGuthrum

Milk Slop on 11:24 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

I remember now, it wasn't onions he had with it, he used to sprinkle sugar all over it.

That's just unbaked bread pudding (minus the raisins).

Milk Slop on 13:12 - Jan 12 with 3613 viewsGuthrum

Milk Slop on 11:21 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

We never put cloves in our family's version. But I can easily eat bread sauce on its own, hot or cold.

Milk Slop on 13:16 - Jan 12 with 3607 viewsJ2BLUE

Milk Slop on 12:58 - Jan 12 by clive_baker

Sounds vile.

My mum used to eat a slice of bread with a teaspoon of sugar sprinkled over it as a treat when she was a kid. They didn't have a pot to p1ss in so maybe it was a consequence of that, or maybe it was a northern thing. No idea but I remember her trying to pass it off on me a few times as dessert or a snack. Weird.

My mum occasionally has a sugar sandwich.

Also a banana sandwich which I found odd as well.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Milk Slop on 13:21 - Jan 12 with 3601 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

My grandad too, a tenant dairy farmer, all slowly baked in the oven next to the open fire.....good memories.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Milk Slop on 13:53 - Jan 12 with 3568 viewsjontysnut

Milk sop as a poorly kid. Bread, hot milk and sugar. Lucozade if I was at deaths door.
Milk Slop on 13:53 - Jan 12 with 3568 viewsjeera

Milk Slop on 13:16 - Jan 12 by J2BLUE

My mum occasionally has a sugar sandwich.

Also a banana sandwich which I found odd as well.

Ahem, nothing wrong with a banana sandwich. When I was a kid it was a Sunday evening thing for me in front of the tv watching my favourite (whatever it was) programmes.

As for the milk and bread, it was something my nan would give to her kids. Just that, sliced bread in milk with sugar sprinkled on top. I guess times were hard and that was a cheap pudding. Mum tried to give it to us but we knew better!

Bread and butter pudding on the other hand...

For Lucan, the hot pot sounds amazing; liking that a lot. Simple, but what a great way to eat.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 13:57]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Milk Slop on 15:14 - Jan 12 with 3497 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Milk Slop on 13:53 - Jan 12 by jeera

Ahem, nothing wrong with a banana sandwich. When I was a kid it was a Sunday evening thing for me in front of the tv watching my favourite (whatever it was) programmes.

As for the milk and bread, it was something my nan would give to her kids. Just that, sliced bread in milk with sugar sprinkled on top. I guess times were hard and that was a cheap pudding. Mum tried to give it to us but we knew better!

For Lucan, the hot pot sounds amazing; liking that a lot. Simple, but what a great way to eat.

And in those days bread didn't go mouldy - just stale. And 'pobs' as it is called, rather than 'milk slop', was a way of using up the old bread. Bread pudding was another.

Milk Slop on 15:15 - Jan 12 with 3491 viewsGaryCooper

Milk Slop on 13:53 - Jan 12 by jeera

'Ahem, nothing wrong with a banana sandwich.'

Surely it is more practical in a hot dog bun or baguette?
Milk Slop on 15:16 - Jan 12 with 3491 viewsjeera

Milk Slop on 15:14 - Jan 12 by Tangledupin_Blue

And in those days bread didn't go mouldy - just stale. And 'pobs' as it is called, rather than 'milk slop', was a way of using up the old bread. Bread pudding was another.

Bread pudding has always been a funny one for me really.

Looks grosse, you could disarm a robber with a lump of it if you caught him right.

Yet, tastes great when made right.

My mum always made a decent one and it was a common addition to my school lunchbox.

Milk Slop on 15:17 - Jan 12 with 3479 viewsjeera

Milk Slop on 15:15 - Jan 12 by GaryCooper

That would save some chopping, granted!

That's not a bad shout as it goes.

Gotta be proper butter, unsalted.

Milk Slop on 15:28 - Jan 12 with 3457 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Milk Slop on 15:15 - Jan 12 by GaryCooper

Many years ago there was a sandwich shop in Dorking. They did a sandwich with bacon, banana, salad cream (not manky mayo, ugh) and lettuce. I was dubious but the sandwiches were brill.

I thoroughly recommend banana and bacon sarnies.

Milk Slop on 15:42 - Jan 12 with 3433 viewsronnyd

When i was a kid, (am now 75) and used to have that, we called it milk mess. Also had bread with hot water and lots of pepper (water mes). Just the thing when childhood ailments dulled your appetite. Probably if i had it now it would taste awful.
Milk Slop on 18:13 - Jan 12 with 3381 viewsjeera

Just finished off the last of some excellent steak with a blue stilton sauce.

Lovely.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024