Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Emyr Huws 08:58 - Jan 13 with 5001 viewsDubtractor

A month or so back I commented that whilst it was great to see him back playing, he wasn't really offering much to us.

Based on Saturday I'll retract that. So good to see him imposing himself on the game like that. Him and Downes absolutely bossed the midfield. A few have said that Accrington were rubbish, well the reason that happened was because of those 2 being as aggressive as possible off the ball, closing down and winning the ball every time they passed it into midfield.

Edit: I should add that his passing was excellent all game too. Both incisive and quickly executed.

To be back playing in that way, after so many injuries and setbacks, must require huge mental strength. I'm delighted for him, and us!
[Post edited 13 Jan 2020 9:12]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Emyr Huws on 09:02 - Jan 13 with 4214 viewsStokieBlue

He was excellent. If fit it's hard to make a case against him and Downes being the two.

He's a huge step up from Nolan.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Emyr Huws on 09:02 - Jan 13 with 4219 viewsitfcjoe

Very physcial too, you forget how big and strong he is in there.

If we can get him and Downes starting more games than not between now and May we won't lose many games in the midfield

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Emyr Huws on 09:07 - Jan 13 with 4150 viewshampstead_blue

It was interesting reading a recent interview with him.

His mindset was 'I am fit, I am not coming back from injury. I am fit and want to play'.

It could be that we are finally seeing the player we signed some time ago. I hope so.
If that is the case then he should be alongside FD without doubt.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Emyr Huws on 09:10 - Jan 13 with 4117 viewsMrTown

At that level, in the words of PL "dear, oh dear".

I think the only assessment is that at that level, in that system, that midfield 3 is too good for League 1.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Emyr Huws on 09:17 - Jan 13 with 4083 viewsSWGF

With full appreciated/acknowledgement of what Cole Skuse has provided us in the past and of what he has done (and still can do) in certain circumstances, we've been "brainwashed" into thinking that central midfielders can only do one aspect of the job; he's a holding midfielder, he's an attacking midfielder (not that we've had one for a while), he's a playmaker, etc. For one reason or another, the role next to Skuse in a central two has been a graveyard for innumerable central midfielders.

I admit that this is partly due to financial restraints in recruiting more rounded, multifaceted players, but not wholly.

What Huws/Downes showed on Saturday is that central midfielders, if they dovetail, can do more than one thing, if the other is covering/understanding or they're fit enough to get forward and back as a pair. They were both offering cover to the defence, snapping into tackles AND being progressive with/without the ball.

I'll include Judge here, but if Huws can't manage Sat/Tues/Sat, I don't *mind* Nolan coming in to offer cover on a one-off basis but very seldom. Bishop can get fitter and start offering competition to Judge. Downes is the one that I'd be wanting to play every single match.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2020 9:21]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Emyr Huws on 09:25 - Jan 13 with 4001 viewschicoazul

You and me both blud. I think I also wrote on here that Keane would be hopeless and would never score or be fit this season.

I mean let's not get *tooooo* crazy here. It was after all a home game against the mighty Acrington Stanley so one would expect Huws and Keane to look pretty good against them. but you can only beat what's in front of you.

Skuse is a good player to have on the bench now too rather than starting, gives cover in lots of roles and can help close a game out if needed.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Emyr Huws on 09:26 - Jan 13 with 3982 viewschicoazul

Emyr Huws on 09:17 - Jan 13 by SWGF

With full appreciated/acknowledgement of what Cole Skuse has provided us in the past and of what he has done (and still can do) in certain circumstances, we've been "brainwashed" into thinking that central midfielders can only do one aspect of the job; he's a holding midfielder, he's an attacking midfielder (not that we've had one for a while), he's a playmaker, etc. For one reason or another, the role next to Skuse in a central two has been a graveyard for innumerable central midfielders.

I admit that this is partly due to financial restraints in recruiting more rounded, multifaceted players, but not wholly.

What Huws/Downes showed on Saturday is that central midfielders, if they dovetail, can do more than one thing, if the other is covering/understanding or they're fit enough to get forward and back as a pair. They were both offering cover to the defence, snapping into tackles AND being progressive with/without the ball.

I'll include Judge here, but if Huws can't manage Sat/Tues/Sat, I don't *mind* Nolan coming in to offer cover on a one-off basis but very seldom. Bishop can get fitter and start offering competition to Judge. Downes is the one that I'd be wanting to play every single match.

agreed on Downes and we all need to envoy Downes while he is here as there is no way he will be with us next season.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Hear hear on 09:28 - Jan 13 with 3986 viewsunstableblue

Good post.

As much as I like Skuse, and he was a part of our early season success. When we're playing a 5-3-2 with a number 10, then you need a Huws or Dozzell alongside Downes to provide more incisive forward passing and movement.

Be interesting to see Lambert's selection for Tuesday. I'd stick with the team,but may be that Lambert opts to swap out Huws. Hopefully for Dozzell (who is still prone to not turning up).

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Hear hear on 09:52 - Jan 13 with 3809 viewsHullblue

Hear hear on 09:28 - Jan 13 by unstableblue

Good post.

As much as I like Skuse, and he was a part of our early season success. When we're playing a 5-3-2 with a number 10, then you need a Huws or Dozzell alongside Downes to provide more incisive forward passing and movement.

Be interesting to see Lambert's selection for Tuesday. I'd stick with the team,but may be that Lambert opts to swap out Huws. Hopefully for Dozzell (who is still prone to not turning up).

I think you might be right about Dozzell starting tomorrow night. Out of the two teams, Accrington are the more physical so it made sense to start Huws in that one.

I’d probably stick with the same team too but I guess we don’t have access to all the sports science that PL and co do. As long as it’s just one or two changes rather than four or five! I’d consider Keane for Norwood too.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Hear hear on 09:54 - Jan 13 with 3789 viewsSomethingBlue

Hear hear on 09:52 - Jan 13 by Hullblue

I think you might be right about Dozzell starting tomorrow night. Out of the two teams, Accrington are the more physical so it made sense to start Huws in that one.

I’d probably stick with the same team too but I guess we don’t have access to all the sports science that PL and co do. As long as it’s just one or two changes rather than four or five! I’d consider Keane for Norwood too.

Same team if we can and disagree that it's a night for Dozzell to be honest. Midfield is a strong area for Oxford but Rotherham, by Karl Robinson's own admission, dominated them in it on Saturday. Think we need at least two in there who can mix it both physically and technically.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Emyr Huws on 09:57 - Jan 13 with 3768 viewsITFC_Forever

I think we are now seeing the end of Skuse being a regular starter and the beginning of him being an experience head we can bring on in certain situations to manage the game out.

As you said, we had noticeably more energy in midfield on Saturday, and with Bishop, Dozzell and Nolan as other options, I think Skuse may start to find himself more often on the bench than not.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Emyr Huws on 10:04 - Jan 13 with 3704 viewsOsborneOneNil

Hallelujah! People finally seeing that Skuse is, and has been for years, far too one dimensional to be our shoe in central midfielder.

Great stuff.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 14:56]
Hear hear on 10:11 - Jan 13 with 3642 viewsunstableblue

I guess a lot will depend on Nolan's fitness.

Selection will depend on chosen formation and factoring whether Nolan, Skuse, Donacien, Dozzell and/or Keane are fit and can bring something against a much more technical team* than Accrington.

But I do hope change will be a minimum. We'll need 3 CBs at Oxford, and I expect our full backs to get pushed back - albeit Rotherham had joy with width against them.

* Oxford still managed 65% possession and a goal for their new West Ham loanee (as a sub) on Saturday.

Hear hear on 10:16 - Jan 13 with 3615 viewsIpswichKnight

Hear hear on 10:11 - Jan 13 by unstableblue

I guess a lot will depend on Nolan's fitness.

Selection will depend on chosen formation and factoring whether Nolan, Skuse, Donacien, Dozzell and/or Keane are fit and can bring something against a much more technical team* than Accrington.

But I do hope change will be a minimum. We'll need 3 CBs at Oxford, and I expect our full backs to get pushed back - albeit Rotherham had joy with width against them.

* Oxford still managed 65% possession and a goal for their new West Ham loanee (as a sub) on Saturday.

Only real change I can see will depend on Huws fitness of two games in short space of time, if it's ok then I really wouldn't make any changes. If it's not then guess either Skuse or Dozzell will come in.
Emyr Huws on 10:20 - Jan 13 with 3570 viewschicoazul

Emyr Huws on 10:04 - Jan 13 by OsborneOneNil

Hallelujah! People finally seeing that Skuse is, and has been for years, far too one dimensional to be our shoe in central midfielder.

Great stuff.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 14:56]

He hasn't been "for years" dont be daft.

Hear hear on 10:47 - Jan 13 with 3450 viewsChrisd

That was the issue that many had with PL's squad rotation over the last couple of months it wouldn't be 1,2 or even 3 changes it would be 5,6 and 7 on top of a completely different formation. No doubt changes will be made between now and the end of the season and I haven't got a problem with that, but not changes for changes sake. Based on Saturday's display, especially the first half showing, he needs to keep the nucleus of the side unchanged as much as he can.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Emyr Huws on 10:54 - Jan 13 with 3425 viewsbraveblue

Emyr Huws on 10:20 - Jan 13 by chicoazul

He hasn't been "for years" dont be daft.

He has in my opinion
Emyr Huws on 11:45 - Jan 13 with 3208 viewsPilgrimblue

Emyr Huws on 10:54 - Jan 13 by braveblue

He has in my opinion

I guess you weren't there on Saturday! He was great and fits in well with Downes. Thank goodness because Skuse is looking past it.
Hear hear on 13:42 - Jan 13 with 2952 viewsStokieBlue

Hear hear on 09:28 - Jan 13 by unstableblue

Good post.

It would be totally ridiculous to take Huws out of the line-up unless he's actually injured.

He was excellent and is getting better - he gets us going forward which was a huge difference.

SB

Emyr Huws on 13:55 - Jan 13 with 2886 viewsGirthyguy

Emyr Huws on 09:26 - Jan 13 by chicoazul

agreed on Downes and we all need to envoy Downes while he is here as there is no way he will be with us next season.

If we dont get promoted then maybe. But I see no reason why he would leave us if we go up unless we get a silly offer of over 10 million plus.
Emyr Huws on 14:01 - Jan 13 with 2865 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. Was starting to think he'd lost his mojo but clearly he was still getting up to speed both physically and mentally.

I think it also helps our midfielders to have Judge in the middle and effectively a centralish midfield three. I know players like Downes, Huws and Dozzell have quality but we rarely saw their ability on the balll when we had just two of them with Judge and Edwards either side.

When we're not getting much out of the wide midfielders we might as well put ball players (and an extra man) in the middle.

Pronouns: He/Him

Hear hear on 14:13 - Jan 13 with 2825 viewsitfcjoe

Hear hear on 13:42 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

It would be totally ridiculous to take Huws out of the line-up unless he's actually injured.

He was excellent and is getting better - he gets us going forward which was a huge difference.

SB

He's only going to get better as he becomes more and more comfortable playing, he needs a run

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Emyr Huws on 14:21 - Jan 13 with 2797 viewsitfcbam

absolutely. arguably, when fit and back close to the level before he got injured, the best midfielder at the club. Strong presence and can pick a pass. look at the ball forward for Norwoods goal, he meant that.
Hear hear on 15:07 - Jan 13 with 2686 viewsunstableblue

Hear hear on 13:42 - Jan 13 by StokieBlue

SB

I'm afraid Stokie that Lambert's achilles heal has been this commitment to swapping round the line-up, not sure he's going to completely give it up, as much as we'd all like Saturday's team again. Clearly Oxford got outmuscled by Rotherham so perhaps that might be in his mind.

Hear hear on 15:16 - Jan 13 with 2634 viewsStokieBlue

Hear hear on 15:07 - Jan 13 by unstableblue

I'm afraid Stokie that Lambert's achilles heal has been this commitment to swapping round the line-up, not sure he's going to completely give it up, as much as we'd all like Saturday's team again. Clearly Oxford got outmuscled by Rotherham so perhaps that might be in his mind.

That essentially agrees that it would be ridiculous if he changed it.

Don't understand this point that we might get outmuscled - Huws is hardly a feather.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024