Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... 10:02 - Jan 14 with 1101 viewsSomethingBlue

... which is hardly an unreasonable scenario given we are a third division club, you'd keep Downes — right? Bad choice to have to make, but Downes is well en route to being this team's heartbeat at a very young age while centre-backs competent enough to get you up the divisions aren't massively hard to come by. James Wilson has done fine from being a trialist who couldn't get a game at Lincoln, as one example. None of that is to take away from Woolfenden's current ability or his potential but it's one way of looking at it.

I suspect Woolfie may go and then be loaned back, as there's little point him playing next to no football for the rest of the season, and if that meant we kept hold of Downes for longer I think we'd just have to be OK with it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:08 - Jan 14 with 1052 viewshomer_123

We've done the right thing already. Nsiala has gone.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:08 - Jan 14 with 1055 viewsBluefish

I think Woolfenden has the potential to be valued highest in the future but i think Downes makes the biggest difference to our team now. I would keep Downes he has been different class this season.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:10 - Jan 14 with 1039 viewsJakeITFC

I think Woolfenden has more upside, but we are not really in a position to worry about upside right now so it has to be Downes.
If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:10 - Jan 14 with 1040 viewsElephantintheRoom

Town can't keep either of them unfortunately - if any of the 40 clubs above Town in the financial pecking order want them.

Just one sniff of an offer (and instant millionaire status) and they'd be off.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:10 - Jan 14 with 1039 viewsitfcjoe

I don't see that Sheff U would loan him back, they only have 3 wide CBs to cover 2, and unless they sign someone else he won't be a mile away from the team - plus they will want him doing all their tactical and sports science development that Wilder is keen on.

They aren't a big club for loans, if he goes there then think they will assess him until the summer in house with a view to where he will play next season.

But the answer to the question is Downes, although Woolfie will probably end up being worth more if they both stay as CBs that can play are rare as anything

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:11 - Jan 14 with 1027 viewsKeaneish

A midfielder will typically command a higher price point than a defender. Exceptions to the rule obviously but its a no brainer for me to retain Downes over Wolfenden. Without Downes he lose our heartbeat as has been proven in the games he's not played. Downes is the difference between automatic and play-offs, Wolfenden isn't as quality as he has been.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:11 - Jan 14 with 1022 viewschicoazul

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:08 - Jan 14 by Bluefish

I think Woolfenden has the potential to be valued highest in the future but i think Downes makes the biggest difference to our team now. I would keep Downes he has been different class this season.

Agreed blubbers.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:12 - Jan 14 with 1017 viewsSomethingBlue

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:10 - Jan 14 by itfcjoe

I don't see that Sheff U would loan him back, they only have 3 wide CBs to cover 2, and unless they sign someone else he won't be a mile away from the team - plus they will want him doing all their tactical and sports science development that Wilder is keen on.

They aren't a big club for loans, if he goes there then think they will assess him until the summer in house with a view to where he will play next season.

But the answer to the question is Downes, although Woolfie will probably end up being worth more if they both stay as CBs that can play are rare as anything

Fair point about Blades and bedding him in, you may well be right. Also agree he could end up being worth more than FD, but FD is just more important to the way we function effectively as a team.

Login to get fewer ads

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:14 - Jan 14 with 1003 viewschicoazul

The perfect banter of course would be if we sell Woolf for 3 now, he gets loaned back, we go up, then the Blunts sell him for 10 in the summer.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:15 - Jan 14 with 980 viewsSomethingBlue

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:14 - Jan 14 by chicoazul

The perfect banter of course would be if we sell Woolf for 3 now, he gets loaned back, we go up, then the Blunts sell him for 10 in the summer.

To Derby, presumably.

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:17 - Jan 14 with 965 viewschicoazul

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:15 - Jan 14 by SomethingBlue

To Derby, presumably.

Man City and Spurs need centre backs this summer!

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:17 - Jan 14 with 958 viewsSwansea_Blue

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:15 - Jan 14 by SomethingBlue

To Derby, presumably.

Who've just appointed Mick as their new manager.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:34 - Jan 14 with 896 viewscrossyitfc

If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:10 - Jan 14 by itfcjoe

They have quite a few loanees knocking around in the EFL no? Heneghan at Blackpool, Norrington-Davies at Rochdale come to mind.
If you could only keep one of Woolfenden and Downes .... on 10:38 - Jan 14 with 879 viewsHerbivore

I think ultimately Woolfy could command a bigger fee as ball playing centre backs are at a premium whereas good box to box midfielders aren't so hard to come by. That said for us right now Downes is the more important player. We miss him badly when he doesn't play in a way that isn't really the case with Woolfy. We saw on Saturday what Woolfy can potentially do and how he could be a dynamic part of our team but that's a relatively recent thing. For most of the season he's simply looked a very competent CB who is good on the ball.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024