Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Great Goalkeeper Mystery 11:37 - Jan 14 with 2576 viewsSouperJim

Lincoln away - Norris has a rush of blood that arguably costs us 3 points
Wycombe away - Norris has a rush of blood that arguably costs us 2 points
Exeter away (cup) - Holy has a decent game
Accrington home - Norris back in again

Given the way Lambert chopped and changed the keepers over in the league multiple times in November/December for no readily apparent reason, what is going on here? Is there something in the loan deal which is dictating Norris playing more than he deserves, as for me Holy is the more reliable keeper.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 11:52 - Jan 14 with 2141 viewsbahri

Prefer Holy.
Your right Norris was very poor at coming of his line, particularly at Lincoln.
He nearly did the same on Saturday in the second half

redandella

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 11:56 - Jan 14 with 2130 viewsKieran_Knows

I imagine Norris is costing us too much when sat on the bench. I read an article a few months ago that basically said the make of up loan deals is that if the club is playing the player, they don't pay for him, however if he's sat on the bench/not getting enough minutes (I presume which has been agreed beforehand), then the club that loans the player basically picks up his wage/and or other costs.

Obviously not every deal is like that, but would probably make sense in Norris' case as I imagine he is earning a decent wage at Wolves and if we're picking that up, it could be quite costly for us.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 11:58 - Jan 14 with 2104 viewsBluefish

I think we can excuse him for that one. He was clearly ordered to pick the same team and therefore he had to keep Norris

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:02 - Jan 14 with 2070 viewsBLUEBEAT

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 11:56 - Jan 14 by Kieran_Knows

I imagine Norris is costing us too much when sat on the bench. I read an article a few months ago that basically said the make of up loan deals is that if the club is playing the player, they don't pay for him, however if he's sat on the bench/not getting enough minutes (I presume which has been agreed beforehand), then the club that loans the player basically picks up his wage/and or other costs.

Obviously not every deal is like that, but would probably make sense in Norris' case as I imagine he is earning a decent wage at Wolves and if we're picking that up, it could be quite costly for us.

Interesting.

I was thinking they were perhaps keeping parent club sweet until end January when maybe a recall clause expires.

Poll: W or W

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:03 - Jan 14 with 2066 viewsChrisd

Perhaps PL genuinely believes Norris is the better keeper? Watching him on Saturday, he lacks a presence for me and doesn't appear that commanding. I don't know if it's just his nature, but I really wanted to shake him at times to wake him up, he seemed listless. I'd much prefer us to play Holy as he's our player. Reasoning, the fact we signed him from Gillingham in the summer, he's done little wrong to be dropped and is certainly better coming off his line, it seems a no brainer. Unless PL has spoken to Holy, if I was him, I'd be thoroughly p*ssed off with this current arrangement, to be dropped in preference for a loan player. If I was Holy I think I'd speak to PL and say, 'If you aren't going to play me, send me out on loan as I need to be playing regularly in a first team.'
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 12:27]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:11 - Jan 14 with 2031 viewsSitfcB

Send him back en

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:14 - Jan 14 with 2014 viewsChrisd

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:11 - Jan 14 by SitfcB

Send him back en

Yes, that's my feeling too Sitters. If it's purely a money decision, it's a strange one, as you could argue you've got a better and more reliable keeper sitting on the bench not playing.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:14 - Jan 14 with 2007 viewsSouperJim

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:03 - Jan 14 by Chrisd

Perhaps PL genuinely believes Norris is the better keeper? Watching him on Saturday, he lacks a presence for me and doesn't appear that commanding. I don't know if it's just his nature, but I really wanted to shake him at times to wake him up, he seemed listless. I'd much prefer us to play Holy as he's our player. Reasoning, the fact we signed him from Gillingham in the summer, he's done little wrong to be dropped and is certainly better coming off his line, it seems a no brainer. Unless PL has spoken to Holy, if I was him, I'd be thoroughly p*ssed off with this current arrangement, to be dropped in preference for a loan player. If I was Holy I think I'd speak to PL and say, 'If you aren't going to play me, send me out on loan as I need to be playing regularly in a first team.'

The only weakness we've seen from Holy so far is his ability to get down to low shots quickly, yet he manages it quite well given his size. Norris is a decent keeper, but he's erratic and has been throughout his career from what I've heard.

I think Lambert probably bought Norris in at the start of the season because he wasn't sure that Holy would be good enough to be first choice from the off. Now we appear to be hamstrung and are playing him to the detriment of our own player (and the team). Ridiculous state of affairs to be honest, if it is the terms of his loan deal which is putting us in this predicament then why not send Norris back and loan someone else on more favourable terms?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Login to get fewer ads

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:15 - Jan 14 with 1995 viewsHerbivore

It's really baffling. All season Holy has looked more convincing than Norris when he's played. Our points per game and goals against stats are far, far better in games Holy has played. Holy is actually our player. Of all Lambert's odd decisions this one is the hardest to fathom.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:19 - Jan 14 with 1988 viewsitfcjoe

It is strange, because we were rotating keepers every game and then he decided to stick to Norris after having his shakiest 3 games I can remember, the 2 rushing out mistakes and a dodgy home game v Gillingham (where he kept a clean sheet despite passing the ball to their striker at on epoint).

I would rather see us stick to one keeper, I'd rather that keeper be Holy as don't think there is anything in it ability wise in reality and we own TH, but I'd rather Norris than keep chopping and changing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:21 - Jan 14 with 1979 viewsitfcjoe

In the programme notes on Saturday Evans stated something along the lines that Norris has one eye on joining us permanently in the summer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:24 - Jan 14 with 1930 viewsHerbivore

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:21 - Jan 14 by itfcjoe

In the programme notes on Saturday Evans stated something along the lines that Norris has one eye on joining us permanently in the summer

I'm not sure I'd want him to be honest. Holy has performed much better than him on the whole and we generally look more settled at the back with Holy between the sticks. The stats bear this out as well.

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:26 - Jan 14 with 1918 viewsKieran_Knows

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:21 - Jan 14 by itfcjoe

Yes, I did see that whilst reading on here (think he was also referring to Garbutt IIRC). Wouldn't be against it, although can't see either of him or Holy wanting to continue as no.2.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:28 - Jan 14 with 1896 viewsKeaneish

He's getting a bit too relaxed with his kicking too. A few times Saturday i felt he'd taken a touch too many; i can see him getting caught soon. Holy got away with one first game of the season but learnt his lesson quickly. Hopefully Norris won't need a reminder!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:30 - Jan 14 with 1885 viewsBluebell

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:24 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

I'm not sure I'd want him to be honest. Holy has performed much better than him on the whole and we generally look more settled at the back with Holy between the sticks. The stats bear this out as well.

To be honest I don't think Norris is any better than Gerken who we released.

I would much rather prefer Holy in goal and Przybek as sub. It would release more money too as I can't understand why we keep playing a loan keeper and getting him match ready for whoever he plays for next season.
The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 13:04 - Jan 14 with 1760 viewsGarv

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:30 - Jan 14 by Bluebell

To be honest I don't think Norris is any better than Gerken who we released.

I would much rather prefer Holy in goal and Przybek as sub. It would release more money too as I can't understand why we keep playing a loan keeper and getting him match ready for whoever he plays for next season.

To be honest I don't understand this logic, unless you've seen a lot of Przybek. If you have, apologies.

What happens when Holy gets injured, Przybek comes in and he's not good enough for first team football? We then complain we don't have able backup, which Norris is.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 13:06 - Jan 14 with 1742 viewsHerbivore

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 13:04 - Jan 14 by Garv

To be honest I don't understand this logic, unless you've seen a lot of Przybek. If you have, apologies.

What happens when Holy gets injured, Przybek comes in and he's not good enough for first team football? We then complain we don't have able backup, which Norris is.

The issue is that back up is keeping our best keeper put of the side.

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 13:09 - Jan 14 with 1719 viewsJ2BLUE

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 12:11 - Jan 14 by SitfcB

Send him back en

Please just say 'then'. You look even thicker than normal saying en like some sort of 12 year old.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 13:13 - Jan 14 with 1701 viewsGarv

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 13:06 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

The issue is that back up is keeping our best keeper put of the side.

Different argument, but ultimately I agree. I'm not sure Norris is as bad as some make out, he has had some good games, but I do prefer Holy.

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 13:16 - Jan 14 with 1679 viewsGarv

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 11:52 - Jan 14 by bahri

Prefer Holy.
Your right Norris was very poor at coming of his line, particularly at Lincoln.
He nearly did the same on Saturday in the second half

Think the problem is that he's very good at coming off his line!

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 13:22 - Jan 14 with 1651 viewsGarv

* if that happened *

Toys and pram spring to mind.

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 15:15 - Jan 14 with 1545 viewsBerkshire_Blue

It’s bizarre that we have Holy on the bench, paying for Norris on loan and have Bart on loan at Millwall. Unless Norris is miles better than Holy we should have Holy in, Bart as reserve and send Norris back
The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 18:44 - Jan 14 with 1429 viewsBlueBadger

In all fairness, Lambert isn't a very good football manager, so it's entirely possible that he believes that.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 18:48 - Jan 14 with 1409 viewsWickets

That's a new one on me if true Holy must be right peed off .
The Great Goalkeeper Mystery on 18:53 - Jan 14 with 1380 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Could be as simple as Lambert's decision to keep a consistent team coincided with Norris being the one who was playing.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024