Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m 13:15 - Jan 14 with 3365 viewsHarry_Palmer

And even that may be too cheap, he could potentially be worth 3 times that in the next couple of years.

Having seen both Wolf and Webster play at Town at similar ages I think the Wolf is going to go on and become a better player.

I don't care what division we are in £3m is an insult and nowhere near market value for an up and coming English ball playing centre back. Tell the blunts to do one.

The player himself might well want to leave but he is under contract and therefore until the valuation is met he should be told categorically that he is going nowhere.

[Post edited 15 Jan 2020 10:02]
I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:19 - Jan 14 with 2739 viewsHerbivore

Think you're living in a dream world, friend. He's had a pretty good half a season in League 1. He's nowhere near the level of Webster yet and may never be. £3m is a touch light but isn't far off being market value.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:24 - Jan 14 with 2711 viewswrightsrightglove

I would imagine £4mill plus a loan back for the rest of the season with various top ups, probably another £1million after 20 prem. games and 15% sell on fee, would be too good for the club to refuse.

Not that I want it to happen at all as I can't see the money being used to strengthen and I don't know of any young prospects ready to step into his shoes.
I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:28 - Jan 14 with 2681 viewsHarry_Palmer

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:19 - Jan 14 by Herbivore

Think you're living in a dream world, friend. He's had a pretty good half a season in League 1. He's nowhere near the level of Webster yet and may never be. £3m is a touch light but isn't far off being market value.

I never said he was as good as Webster yet but I believe he is as good if not better than Webster was at the same age. If the Blunts think he has Prem potential then they should pay a fee that fairly compensates us for that.

Assuming Evans would probably reinvest less than half of the money anyway, who would we realistically be able to get as a replacement? Frankly if we sell him for that price we might as well pack up, it would make a mockery of the whole 'building a young team for the future' plan.
I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:35 - Jan 14 with 2627 viewsLeoMuff

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:28 - Jan 14 by Harry_Palmer

I never said he was as good as Webster yet but I believe he is as good if not better than Webster was at the same age. If the Blunts think he has Prem potential then they should pay a fee that fairly compensates us for that.

Assuming Evans would probably reinvest less than half of the money anyway, who would we realistically be able to get as a replacement? Frankly if we sell him for that price we might as well pack up, it would make a mockery of the whole 'building a young team for the future' plan.

If Woolf fancies this move he will leave and we won’t get anything like £8m, player has all the power here and I would say best fee we could get is £3-4m, as others said it’s a much higher risk buying lg1 hence the lower fees.

Webster was £3.6m plus add on when we sold and he had looked quality in the championship...

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:42 - Jan 14 with 2606 viewsHarry_Palmer

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:35 - Jan 14 by LeoMuff

If Woolf fancies this move he will leave and we won’t get anything like £8m, player has all the power here and I would say best fee we could get is £3-4m, as others said it’s a much higher risk buying lg1 hence the lower fees.

Webster was £3.6m plus add on when we sold and he had looked quality in the championship...

Disagree, the player does not have 'all' the power. I appreciate him and his agent could put the club under a lot of pressure but ultimately he is under contract and the club should put a high valuation on him and stick to it.

What is he going to do if a bid is not accepted? Sulk, refuse to play? that is not going to do his career much good and would put off potential buyers of the future.

If a derisory bid comes in the club needs to show some backbone and play hardball.
I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:42 - Jan 14 with 2600 viewsDarth_Koont

Not sure 3 million for a highly rated League One centre half is that far off TBH.

And although we could arguably get more as a Championship team, standing in the way of a Premiership move might bite us in the @rse with the other young players who won't want to see us thwarting their ambitions when opportunities like this come up.

Hopefully, we'd hold out for a bit more and get him loaned back to us for the rest of the campaign. But if the interest is real then I don't think we're in a great position to set our own inflated valuation and I'd expect him to be off.

Pronouns: He/Him

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:43 - Jan 14 with 2598 viewsSomethingBlue

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:28 - Jan 14 by Harry_Palmer

That plan has far more chance of being watertight — or at least landing us megabucks — if we are in the Championship. At the moment we are very, very vulnerable and it's one of the many reasons why if we don't go up this year we are to my mind absolutely fcuked.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:46 - Jan 14 with 2584 viewsCoastalblue

You might feel that £3M is an insult but in reality how often to players from League 1 move for more than that? That's the reality of the market, and from the buyer's perspective whilst he looks a great prospect there's zero guarantees there and he's proved nothing yet.

I seriously hope we don't sell him, but if we do anybody expecting to get £3M+ is in for a shock.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:51 - Jan 14 with 2550 viewsHarry_Palmer

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:46 - Jan 14 by Coastalblue

You might feel that £3M is an insult but in reality how often to players from League 1 move for more than that? That's the reality of the market, and from the buyer's perspective whilst he looks a great prospect there's zero guarantees there and he's proved nothing yet.

I seriously hope we don't sell him, but if we do anybody expecting to get £3M+ is in for a shock.

How often do players move from League One directly to the prem? If they think he is good enough then the price should reflect that.

I certainly wouldn't be shocked though, this is Evans we are talking about after all.
I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:54 - Jan 14 with 2530 viewsCoastalblue

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:51 - Jan 14 by Harry_Palmer

How often do players move from League One directly to the prem? If they think he is good enough then the price should reflect that.

I certainly wouldn't be shocked though, this is Evans we are talking about after all.

True, and he normally does quite well with fees received so I could be proved wrong.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:58 - Jan 14 with 2511 viewsLeoMuff

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:51 - Jan 14 by Harry_Palmer

TBF to Evans one of the few high points of his reign is that we mostly get a decent price for our player sales.

There are many in the past who have sulked and refused to play, indeed all they have to do isn’t say they are not in the right headspace and they won’t be played, which Is lose lose.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 14:00 - Jan 14 with 2498 viewsGarv

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 13:46 - Jan 14 by Coastalblue

Throughout this season many fans have been overcome with a sense of entitlement about being too good for League One with a huge budget, so based on that shouldn't we be holding out for Championship money?

edit: Championship money would be a fair bit more than £3M.
[Post edited 14 Jan 2020 14:40]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 14:24 - Jan 14 with 2424 viewsBent_double

There was a thread earlier about the number of players moving from L1 to Champ/PL for multi-million fees, not that many as you say, and apparently a defender has never gone for more than £3m.

So Woolfie gets to be the first, it's going to happen, transfer fees are creeping up all the time, and even L1 and L2 clubs are starting to realise they could - and should - get more of the PL billions.

SU are a PL club this season and next as a bear minimum, their turnover will be in excess of £300m I would think in that time, £10m for a promising defender is small change to them now....plus they technically 'owe' us for Didzy!!!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 14:30 - Jan 14 with 2402 viewsjudespiveyg

I'll accept 5m but we get John Fleck, seems fair.
In all seriousness though, Webster was bang average here and he went for 20m last summer. Hold on to him and he'll be worth far more.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

I wouldn't sell Woofenden for a penny under £8m on 15:33 - Jan 14 with 2277 viewsGeoffSentence

He wont be sold then, which would be a good thing, you might have noticed that Sheffield United are offering Anderlecht 500K less than that for an international defender, and that is meeting the valuation.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:00 - Jan 15 with 2061 viewsHarry_Palmer

It would appear that Lambert ( and presumably Evans ) share a similar view to me on this, which is very heartening to hear. £3m for Woolfenden is nowhere near enough.

Not sure what planet some of you are on resigning yourselves to us losing one of our biggest assets for a pittance, but I'm glad the people running the club are on a different one and finally seem to have learnt from past mistakes.
I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:14 - Jan 15 with 2008 viewsbrazil1982

If it's a bid from a PL club, stick a £20m asking price on him.
I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:26 - Jan 15 with 1974 viewsclive_baker

In terms of risk & reward I don't really see the value in selling him at all right now, unless we're talking about silly money. Promotion is worth c. £8m to us, and he's a big part in that. He'll only be worth more if we go up, and if we don't then we can re-asses in the summer when I can't envisage him being worth any less to the likes of Sheffield United, it's not like he's going to walk into their starting XI now and their Premier league status is comfortable, so there's no January panic premium on his head. The only risk is he suffers a significant injury in the final 19 matches of this season and it sets him right back, but the upside potential is far greater IMO. Stay put, let's dig in and get ourselves promoted then our hand strengthens materially.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:31 - Jan 15 with 1962 viewsHarry_Palmer

I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:00 - Jan 15 by Harry_Palmer

It would appear that Lambert ( and presumably Evans ) share a similar view to me on this, which is very heartening to hear. £3m for Woolfenden is nowhere near enough.

Not sure what planet some of you are on resigning yourselves to us losing one of our biggest assets for a pittance, but I'm glad the people running the club are on a different one and finally seem to have learnt from past mistakes.

Why the downvote Herbie? Can't bring yourself to admit you may have called this one slightly wrong?
I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:43 - Jan 15 with 1930 viewsElephantintheRoom

Transfer fees are moveable feasts - and creative accounting can make them go up and down depending on where the money goes - and when it comes in.

If the owner needs the cash - then a lower fee paid in faster instalments is more money than an inflated fee paid over a longer period with 'loyalty payments', bonuses and agent's fees added to the fee even if the club never receives any of that money.

Wolfy wasn't deemed good enough to play for Town this time last season..... coinciding with the worst season in half a century.... quite why you think he's suddenly worth £8million is open to question....he's barely played owing to the daft way the club is now run... so any potential fee will be heavily loaded towards sells on clauses etc.... all well and good but again if Evans needs money now... £3 million - its a made up figure... maybe a starting point for add ons etc - and essentially designed to turn the players head and accelerate the move.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:53 - Jan 15 with 1916 viewsclive_baker

I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:43 - Jan 15 by ElephantintheRoom

Transfer fees are moveable feasts - and creative accounting can make them go up and down depending on where the money goes - and when it comes in.

If the owner needs the cash - then a lower fee paid in faster instalments is more money than an inflated fee paid over a longer period with 'loyalty payments', bonuses and agent's fees added to the fee even if the club never receives any of that money.

Wolfy wasn't deemed good enough to play for Town this time last season..... coinciding with the worst season in half a century.... quite why you think he's suddenly worth £8million is open to question....he's barely played owing to the daft way the club is now run... so any potential fee will be heavily loaded towards sells on clauses etc.... all well and good but again if Evans needs money now... £3 million - its a made up figure... maybe a starting point for add ons etc - and essentially designed to turn the players head and accelerate the move.

It wasn't "this time last season" really, it was 18 months ago that he was loaned out, and the decision was that he's best served staying at Swindon. He was 19, and expecting him to play in the Championship would've been a huge ask. Like most talented players he's come on enormously in that time. Also, I don't think anyone has said he's "worth £8m". Just pointing to the fact that Championship commercial revenues are £8m per annum higher than L1, which you'll know all about at Norwich. If selling him compromises that, then you have to consider the opportunity cost.

I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:59 - Jan 15 with 1897 viewsbraveblue

Just don’t sell. No need to. At least Lambert seems to understand.
I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:59 - Jan 15 with 1896 viewsHerbivore

I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:31 - Jan 15 by Harry_Palmer

Why the downvote Herbie? Can't bring yourself to admit you may have called this one slightly wrong?

Not that I have to explain myself to you, but the down vote is for your tone and for drawing some rather odd conclusions around people being resigned to him going. Most saw it as what it is, speculation. Most can also see that £3m is closer to his market value than £8m, despite what Lambert said last night. I don't think we'll sell but there's a while left in the window as yet so we'll see. If he does go I expect something between £4m and £5m up front with add ons and a sell on would be the kind of fee we'd be looking at. Hoping it doesn't happen though as I'm a big fan of Woolfy.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2020 11:02]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 11:03 - Jan 15 with 1875 viewsHarry_Palmer

I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:43 - Jan 15 by ElephantintheRoom

I'm not sure how Woolfenden being on loan last season has anything to do with it? His spell at Swindon was crucial for his development and keeping him here in a team conceding goals and losing every week in the Championship would have hindered that development.

We are dealing with the here and now and what the player is worth based on his current performance level and future potential. Ball playing English centre back's command a premium price, look at John Stones for example who can't defend for toffee and went for millions.

Every player has his price of course but £3m is nowhere near enough, the club are absolutely right to take a firm stance on this, they made a mistake with Webster and it looks like they have learnt from it.

If we don't go up this season it will make it difficult to keep him in the summer of course and weaken our position slightly but right now in the January market we are in a position where we can demand a high fee.
I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 11:06 - Jan 15 with 1864 viewsclive_baker

I wouldn't sell Woolfenden for a penny under £8m on 10:59 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

Not that I have to explain myself to you, but the down vote is for your tone and for drawing some rather odd conclusions around people being resigned to him going. Most saw it as what it is, speculation. Most can also see that £3m is closer to his market value than £8m, despite what Lambert said last night. I don't think we'll sell but there's a while left in the window as yet so we'll see. If he does go I expect something between £4m and £5m up front with add ons and a sell on would be the kind of fee we'd be looking at. Hoping it doesn't happen though as I'm a big fan of Woolfy.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2020 11:02]

There's a wonderful irony that the poster that's sarcastically addressed someone else as both a 'flower' and a 'petal' only this morning is down-voting someone else based on 'tone'. You couldn't make it up.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024