Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Article on gambling addiction 08:12 - Jan 16 with 2682 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51120456

Have to say I agree 100% with this, should also have been addressed to the Premier League, EFL and all their chairmen / owners.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Article on gambling addiction on 08:24 - Jan 16 with 2655 viewsartsbossbeard

It's not just footy though, is it?

I've been able to watch the gee-gees on betting sites for years and to the bookies, the footy deal (or streaming any other sports) is simply a natural extension of this.

I'm not saying it's right but I can see why the bookies want to provide more visibility for their punters.

Super 6 makes me laugh. I'll put my weekly score predictions on and then I'll get a message saying that if I wanted to back my predictions up on SkyBet, I'd get xxxxxx/1 odds. In the x number of years I've been doing Super 6, I've never got anywhere near a clean sweep..

As a responsible gambler (copyright Ray Winstone) I'll give it a pass.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Article on gambling addiction on 08:25 - Jan 16 with 2663 viewsitfcjoe

Gambling is out of control in this country, the step to not allow credit cards is definitely a good one (and seemingly so obvious).

As I've always said though, gambling is the only vice that is made easier and more convenient constantly - compare it to booze or fags.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Article on gambling addiction on 08:27 - Jan 16 with 2647 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Article on gambling addiction on 08:25 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

Gambling is out of control in this country, the step to not allow credit cards is definitely a good one (and seemingly so obvious).

As I've always said though, gambling is the only vice that is made easier and more convenient constantly - compare it to booze or fags.

Stopping the use of credit cards was a very good step, as evidenced by the drop in share prices that followed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Article on gambling addiction on 08:30 - Jan 16 with 2633 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Article on gambling addiction on 08:24 - Jan 16 by artsbossbeard

It's not just footy though, is it?

I've been able to watch the gee-gees on betting sites for years and to the bookies, the footy deal (or streaming any other sports) is simply a natural extension of this.

I'm not saying it's right but I can see why the bookies want to provide more visibility for their punters.

Super 6 makes me laugh. I'll put my weekly score predictions on and then I'll get a message saying that if I wanted to back my predictions up on SkyBet, I'd get xxxxxx/1 odds. In the x number of years I've been doing Super 6, I've never got anywhere near a clean sweep..

As a responsible gambler (copyright Ray Winstone) I'll give it a pass.

I agree its not just footie, but footie is now used as the major gateway to get people hooked.

Re watching racing in or via a bookies, did that ever require you to sign up to an account first?

Article on gambling addiction on 08:31 - Jan 16 with 2625 viewsartsbossbeard

Article on gambling addiction on 08:30 - Jan 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree its not just footie, but footie is now used as the major gateway to get people hooked.

Re watching racing in or via a bookies, did that ever require you to sign up to an account first?

Yep, well in my experience, anyway.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Article on gambling addiction on 08:35 - Jan 16 with 2608 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Article on gambling addiction on 08:31 - Jan 16 by artsbossbeard

Yep, well in my experience, anyway.

Well that should be stopped too then. Doesn't make it right.

Football is now the most bet on sport, and will only get worse if nothing is done.

Article on gambling addiction on 09:47 - Jan 16 with 2520 viewsGuthrum

It's seen as one of the few accessible ways improve/repair your finances in this country if you lack talent and a decent job - much like drug dealing among urban youths. A fair bit of it is about entrapment, desperation and restricted hope.

Until we can offer dignified incomes for all and stop demonising poverty - ending the consumerist bombardment from media would help, too - these things will remain attractive.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Article on gambling addiction on 10:13 - Jan 16 with 2478 viewsbahri

Article on gambling addiction on 08:27 - Jan 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Stopping the use of credit cards was a very good step, as evidenced by the drop in share prices that followed.

Why would people bet with a credit card? Most companies charge a fee as they class it as a cash withdrawal. That's on top of any fees if not not paying off the full amount by the due date.

redandella

Login to get fewer ads

Article on gambling addiction on 10:15 - Jan 16 with 2472 viewsartsbossbeard

Article on gambling addiction on 10:13 - Jan 16 by bahri

Why would people bet with a credit card? Most companies charge a fee as they class it as a cash withdrawal. That's on top of any fees if not not paying off the full amount by the due date.

Desperation & addiction. Sadly.

Article on gambling addiction on 10:21 - Jan 16 with 2449 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Article on gambling addiction on 10:15 - Jan 16 by artsbossbeard

Yep, last resort.

When the fun stops..... its too late!!

Article on gambling addiction on 10:40 - Jan 16 with 2428 viewsbahri

Article on gambling addiction on 10:15 - Jan 16 by artsbossbeard

You are right, of course.
But banks should take more responsibility and not hand out cards 'willy nilly'.
Like bookmakers, banks monitor your habits and spending, so they should take a more responsible approach.
But (again) like bookmakers, profit over everything else

redandella

Article on gambling addiction on 11:09 - Jan 16 with 2400 viewsJ2BLUE

It really is amazing that depositing with a credit card was ever allowed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Article on gambling addiction on 11:13 - Jan 16 with 2388 viewsHerbivore

Article on gambling addiction on 10:40 - Jan 16 by bahri

You are right, of course.
But banks should take more responsibility and not hand out cards 'willy nilly'.
Like bookmakers, banks monitor your habits and spending, so they should take a more responsible approach.
But (again) like bookmakers, profit over everything else

You can't rely on profit driven businesses to proactively behave in ways that are socially responsible. That is why people who advocate unrestricted freemarket capitalism are usually total bellends.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Article on gambling addiction on 11:33 - Jan 16 with 2356 viewsSE1blue

Moved to Canada a year ago and the lack of betting commercials on TV is so refreshing. There are no bookies on every street either. From the outside now, you can clearly see the UK has a massive problem.

And, on a recent cruise with Princess Cruises (UK firm) I was really disappointed to see Princess have now put online betting terminals around the ship. So you can play roulette etc on your ship account (basically your credit card).

Firms know its easy money.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Article on gambling addiction on 11:40 - Jan 16 with 2343 viewsDanTheMan

And we're now introducing it to children at a much younger age through some very popular games.

Ticking time bomb.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Article on gambling addiction on 12:55 - Jan 16 with 2271 viewsitfcjoe

Article on gambling addiction on 11:33 - Jan 16 by SE1blue

Moved to Canada a year ago and the lack of betting commercials on TV is so refreshing. There are no bookies on every street either. From the outside now, you can clearly see the UK has a massive problem.

And, on a recent cruise with Princess Cruises (UK firm) I was really disappointed to see Princess have now put online betting terminals around the ship. So you can play roulette etc on your ship account (basically your credit card).

Firms know its easy money.

I think gambling is a blind spot in this country like guns are in the US, not as instantly tragic as guns can be but doing so much damage.

I'm not anti-betting, but the amount of markets and the accessibility of it is just so, so wrong - football matches have 400 markets or something silly on every game

Article on gambling addiction on 13:24 - Jan 16 with 2240 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Article on gambling addiction on 12:55 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

I think gambling is a blind spot in this country like guns are in the US, not as instantly tragic as guns can be but doing so much damage.

I'm not anti-betting, but the amount of markets and the accessibility of it is just so, so wrong - football matches have 400 markets or something silly on every game

I agree with you on most of your points about gambling (although obviously as a big punter these days, probably have a different overall viewpoint to you) such as about being able to use a credits card to deposit, the adverts etc.

But I don’t really understand your issue with all the different markets on football. It’s just expansion. It happens with everything. There’s hundreds of types of everything. It’s just there because someone, somewhere will believe there’s an angle. Somebody I know has an angle with referee card stats and uses a few of the card markets to get value on the defenders up against the wingers if the ref has high card percentages.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Article on gambling addiction on 13:29 - Jan 16 with 2231 viewsitfcjoe

Article on gambling addiction on 13:24 - Jan 16 by The_Romford_Blue

I agree with you on most of your points about gambling (although obviously as a big punter these days, probably have a different overall viewpoint to you) such as about being able to use a credits card to deposit, the adverts etc.

But I don’t really understand your issue with all the different markets on football. It’s just expansion. It happens with everything. There’s hundreds of types of everything. It’s just there because someone, somewhere will believe there’s an angle. Somebody I know has an angle with referee card stats and uses a few of the card markets to get value on the defenders up against the wingers if the ref has high card percentages.

It encourages corruption of the sport, being able to bet on such specific events, at levels off the game where the earnings are small.

There is no doubt a load of spot fixing going on as it is, at what point does it stop, how many markets do you need?

Can you bet on horses to be winning after x meters in a race? Or falling on certain fences? (Genuine question)

Article on gambling addiction on 13:37 - Jan 16 with 2219 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Article on gambling addiction on 13:29 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

It encourages corruption of the sport, being able to bet on such specific events, at levels off the game where the earnings are small.

There is no doubt a load of spot fixing going on as it is, at what point does it stop, how many markets do you need?

Can you bet on horses to be winning after x meters in a race? Or falling on certain fences? (Genuine question)

But with longer sports like football, there’s more markets because it can be broken down. There’s more than can be analysed. Same with cricket. Lots of markets with cricket.

With greyhounds and horses, it’s over within a few minutes. There’s the win and each way bets, match betting between two horses in the race, forecast and tricast betting, betting without the favourite and then specific possitions of horses (ie - favourite to finish 3rd or worse).

You can’t bet on horses leading after a distance or on a horse to fall.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Article on gambling addiction on 14:08 - Jan 16 with 2191 viewsitfcjoe

Article on gambling addiction on 13:37 - Jan 16 by The_Romford_Blue

But with longer sports like football, there’s more markets because it can be broken down. There’s more than can be analysed. Same with cricket. Lots of markets with cricket.

With greyhounds and horses, it’s over within a few minutes. There’s the win and each way bets, match betting between two horses in the race, forecast and tricast betting, betting without the favourite and then specific possitions of horses (ie - favourite to finish 3rd or worse).

You can’t bet on horses leading after a distance or on a horse to fall.

"You can’t bet on horses leading after a distance or on a horse to fall"

And I guess part of that is to do with corruption, to stop people paying jockeys to ride the race in a certain way.

All these extra markets do is dilute the sport by betting on things that aren't important to the outcome - and that feeds corruption

Article on gambling addiction on 14:33 - Jan 16 with 2172 viewsElephantintheRoom

It is a bit worse than that though....

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jan/16/betfred-owners-make-millions-fro

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Article on gambling addiction on 14:41 - Jan 16 with 2146 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't necessarily have a problem with the number of markets but it's clearly designed as a 'bet for everyone' form of marketing. I'm sure most gamblers have bet on games we had no intention of betting on because the likes of Sky offer a price boost on some shots on target bet which looks too good to miss.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Article on gambling addiction on 19:46 - Jan 16 with 2051 viewslondontractorboy57

What is your definition of big punter?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024