Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of transfer activity worries me 12:47 - Jan 16 with 4437 viewskizaitfc

I'm not saying I wanted another overhaul of players coming in, nor do I think our team is poor.

But by the sounds of it we stopped looking for improvement to the squad before the window even opened!

To have success football teams need to be constantly on the look out for ways to improve their squad (unless your Liverpool). Wycombe, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Sunderland and Oxford have already do so.

Evans seems to be moving back to the steady as we go method where other teams improve and we slowly decline.

I don't think many would view our team as a championship quality side, so if we get promotion we will either need to sign a significant amount of players in the Summer or we will struggle. Obviously signing a lot of players in one summer is not ideal as last season showed and I think has still been apparent this season despite less signings.

Evans needs to utilise the January window more effectively IMO to slowly bring in new talent that can either be thrown straight into the squad or slowly bedded in for the next season.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 12:55 - Jan 16 with 2570 viewsMrTown

Who do we need?

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 12:59 - Jan 16 with 2553 viewsonly_one_sir_bobby

Where would you look to improve our squad, and do you genuinely feel we can get better than what we already have in January?

Your list of teams that you feel have improved their squad is interesting too as according to EADT article this morning:

Wycombe - have done no business at all

Peterborough - always wheel and deal but never get anywhere and look to be losing one of their best players

Oxford - made 4 loan signings which doesn't exactly scream long term planning and there would be uproar on here if we made that many loan signings

Sunderland - only signed a dressing room cancer in Lafferty

Portsmouth - made a couple of loan signings and one permanent signing from Bromley

Nothing there to be jealous or fearful of whatsoever
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 13:00]
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:00 - Jan 16 with 2547 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 12:55 - Jan 16 by MrTown

Who do we need?

Well the team clearly isn't perfect otherwise we wouldn't be sat in 3rd place, so there is obviously room for improvement.

Id certainly say we need a winger, and a target man.

As I say my issue isn't necessarily the lack of signings or the quality of our current team as such it's the fact we sort of threw the towel in from the start.

There is nothing wrong with signing improvements to what you already have.

And to be honest from listening to Lambert's reasoning why we aren't looking at anyone as simply being we don't have the funds, to me that sounds like if he did he would look to strengthen

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:03 - Jan 16 with 2522 viewsSouperJim

We also have a squad double the size of some others in this division...

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:04 - Jan 16 with 2524 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 12:59 - Jan 16 by only_one_sir_bobby

Where would you look to improve our squad, and do you genuinely feel we can get better than what we already have in January?

Your list of teams that you feel have improved their squad is interesting too as according to EADT article this morning:

Wycombe - have done no business at all

Peterborough - always wheel and deal but never get anywhere and look to be losing one of their best players

Oxford - made 4 loan signings which doesn't exactly scream long term planning and there would be uproar on here if we made that many loan signings

Sunderland - only signed a dressing room cancer in Lafferty

Portsmouth - made a couple of loan signings and one permanent signing from Bromley

Nothing there to be jealous or fearful of whatsoever
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 13:00]

Wycombe with there recent takeover appear to be looking at a few players just none over the line yet.

As said in my last reply, we may not be able to improve our squad with the current availability of players.

But why not have a look, why close the window ourselves. To me its the worry that Evans really isnt going to put anymore money in Lambert's hands.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:05 - Jan 16 with 2513 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:03 - Jan 16 by SouperJim

We also have a squad double the size of some others in this division...

Transfer windows are also an opportunity to get rid of players.

Our squad is made up of a lot of youngsters who wont get near the first team this season, I think the actual size is a lot less than the official figure.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:07 - Jan 16 with 2502 viewsBigManBlue

Any action this window will likely be decent players leaving. Won't be complaining if we have a quiet one, that considered.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:07 - Jan 16 with 2493 viewsElderGrizzly

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:00 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

Well the team clearly isn't perfect otherwise we wouldn't be sat in 3rd place, so there is obviously room for improvement.

As I say my issue isn't necessarily the lack of signings or the quality of our current team as such it's the fact we sort of threw the towel in from the start.

And to be honest from listening to Lambert's reasoning why we aren't looking at anyone as simply being we don't have the funds, to me that sounds like if he did he would look to strengthen

Or it makes sense to not make out we are desperate to sign anyone as that only drives the price up?
Login to get fewer ads

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:09 - Jan 16 with 2481 viewsonly_one_sir_bobby

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:04 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

Wycombe with there recent takeover appear to be looking at a few players just none over the line yet.

As said in my last reply, we may not be able to improve our squad with the current availability of players.

But why not have a look, why close the window ourselves. To me its the worry that Evans really isnt going to put anymore money in Lambert's hands.

Why are you certain we aren't looking? Where has anyone said flat out that we won't get anybody in?

I realise that any permanent signings would probably be based on selling someone (which I wouldn't want to do), but where has anybody said that we are definitively not signing anymore players?

Andy Warren from the EADT tweeted this morning that he would be "amazed if they didn't" sign anyone else.....
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:13 - Jan 16 with 2459 viewsSteve_M

Just a quick message to remind fans that..... by Bloots 14 Jan 2020 9:58
....we are in the 3rd Division of English football.

That's the same league as Shrewsbury, Accrington, Fleetwood etc.

This will effect who we can buy and who we have to sell.

Some people seem to be forgetting this.

BCWYWF.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:13 - Jan 16 with 2443 viewsJDB23

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:00 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

Who says we threw in the towel? O'Neil made it clear we'll only look to buy if the player is better than what we have. Maybe we have been looking but found no one better than what we have that is within our budget.

I don't think we need many signings to get out of this league. A LCB was needed and we got that, I would say a wide player is a possibility but less needed if we play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3.

I would be happy to carry on the rest of the season with the squad we have.
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:13 - Jan 16 with 2447 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:09 - Jan 16 by only_one_sir_bobby

Why are you certain we aren't looking? Where has anyone said flat out that we won't get anybody in?

I realise that any permanent signings would probably be based on selling someone (which I wouldn't want to do), but where has anybody said that we are definitively not signing anymore players?

Andy Warren from the EADT tweeted this morning that he would be "amazed if they didn't" sign anyone else.....

DoF and ME said they thought it would be a quiet window and then Lambert Tuesday night stated that we don't have the money to do anything and played down any chances of more activity.

My main issue is the lack of money ME is willing to spend on transfers puts us severely at risk of stagnating again, we have several older players who will soon need to be replaced, but I can only imagine they will be replaced with freebies, our youth team or loan signings

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:14 - Jan 16 with 2434 viewsJimmyJazz

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:04 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

Seems that your last sentence is your real issue here? The old 'Evans isn't putting enough/any money in' moan

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:15 - Jan 16 with 2422 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:13 - Jan 16 by JDB23

Who says we threw in the towel? O'Neil made it clear we'll only look to buy if the player is better than what we have. Maybe we have been looking but found no one better than what we have that is within our budget.

I don't think we need many signings to get out of this league. A LCB was needed and we got that, I would say a wide player is a possibility but less needed if we play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3.

I would be happy to carry on the rest of the season with the squad we have.

But your not getting my point, yes this team may well get us out of this league.

But what do we then do in the summer when we realise this team isnt good enough to compete in the championship.

We have some players that simply arent good enough and some that will be looking to hang their boots up in the next couple of seasons.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:16 - Jan 16 with 2408 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:14 - Jan 16 by JimmyJazz

Seems that your last sentence is your real issue here? The old 'Evans isn't putting enough/any money in' moan

Pretty much yes, the fact he hasn't realised that is a major factor in why we are where we are today

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:16 - Jan 16 with 2401 viewsElderGrizzly

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:15 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

But your not getting my point, yes this team may well get us out of this league.

But what do we then do in the summer when we realise this team isnt good enough to compete in the championship.

We have some players that simply arent good enough and some that will be looking to hang their boots up in the next couple of seasons.

You've answered your own question there. You buy in the summer, not in January when prices are silly or players aren't available
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:17 - Jan 16 with 2393 viewsBigManBlue

I get the point - it would be nice to get championship quality players in now and bedded in for if/when we go up.

Problems are a), which definitely Champs quality players are going to want to sign for a L1 side not certain of going up (who we can also afford and are available)?

And b), if we were to splash out and not go up, what the heck do we do next year when we need to cut back even more?

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:20 - Jan 16 with 2357 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:16 - Jan 16 by ElderGrizzly

You've answered your own question there. You buy in the summer, not in January when prices are silly or players aren't available

Because that really paid of last season didn't it.

Players need time to bed in, yes of course if the prices are too high you don't pay it in January, but this is hardly the first season where we have not improved our squad in the Jan window is it.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:21 - Jan 16 with 2346 viewsJDB23

We then buy in the summer.

Why on earth would we spend millions of pounds (that is what it will cost) to improve a squad that is already good enough, in a season where our income has fallen drastically? And if we spend all that money and don't get promoted, we could very well be saying bye bye to any half decent player we currently have.
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:24 - Jan 16 with 2340 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:17 - Jan 16 by BigManBlue

I get the point - it would be nice to get championship quality players in now and bedded in for if/when we go up.

Problems are a), which definitely Champs quality players are going to want to sign for a L1 side not certain of going up (who we can also afford and are available)?

And b), if we were to splash out and not go up, what the heck do we do next year when we need to cut back even more?

Yeah I understand all those issues.

Personally I'd look at loans with a view to buy just like the signing of Will Keane and what the potential of the Garbutt and Earl loans are.

The January window is the perfect opportunity to sign a player on loan with a view to permanent signing in the summer.

And to be fair to Lambert since being in League 1, he has signed KVY, Keane, Holy, Garbut (loan) and Norwood. Not bad signings despite being in League 1.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:24 - Jan 16 with 2339 viewsonly_one_sir_bobby

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:13 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

DoF and ME said they thought it would be a quiet window and then Lambert Tuesday night stated that we don't have the money to do anything and played down any chances of more activity.

My main issue is the lack of money ME is willing to spend on transfers puts us severely at risk of stagnating again, we have several older players who will soon need to be replaced, but I can only imagine they will be replaced with freebies, our youth team or loan signings

I'll be pretty happy with a "quiet window" if it means not losing players such as Woolfenden and Downes.

Which older players are you worried about in particular? Chambers and Skuse are only ones that spring to my mind and one of those is already getting phased out.
Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:25 - Jan 16 with 2329 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:21 - Jan 16 by JDB23

We then buy in the summer.

Why on earth would we spend millions of pounds (that is what it will cost) to improve a squad that is already good enough, in a season where our income has fallen drastically? And if we spend all that money and don't get promoted, we could very well be saying bye bye to any half decent player we currently have.

At what point in any of my posts have I stated we should spend millions???

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:29 - Jan 16 with 2306 viewsBigManBlue

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:24 - Jan 16 by kizaitfc

Yeah I understand all those issues.

Personally I'd look at loans with a view to buy just like the signing of Will Keane and what the potential of the Garbutt and Earl loans are.

The January window is the perfect opportunity to sign a player on loan with a view to permanent signing in the summer.

And to be fair to Lambert since being in League 1, he has signed KVY, Keane, Holy, Garbut (loan) and Norwood. Not bad signings despite being in League 1.

Loans, eh? Bet that won't be popular...

Jokes aside, that's the best we can hope for I'd imagine, and a pretty decent idea. I'd still like a target man, but then I hope we keep progressing to the point where we don't actually need one to be effective.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:34 - Jan 16 with 2275 viewskizaitfc

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:29 - Jan 16 by BigManBlue

Loans, eh? Bet that won't be popular...

Jokes aside, that's the best we can hope for I'd imagine, and a pretty decent idea. I'd still like a target man, but then I hope we keep progressing to the point where we don't actually need one to be effective.

I'm not a huge fan of a loan where you are simply improving another team's player.

But where there is potential to sign the player at the end of the loan where the loan is sort of used as a trial period, we could have 3 or 4 and I'd be reasonably fine with it especially when we are sat in League 1.

Yeah I'd agree with the target man but I think in this league where teams sit deep and defend you need that option to create havoc in the opposition box.

Lack of transfer activity worries me on 13:36 - Jan 16 with 2270 viewsKeaneish

The squad is good enough. Trade in the summer when we know which division we'll be in, not now. Makes no sense to splash cash now.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024