Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No more heading the ball ? 15:58 - Jan 16 with 4267 viewsHARRY10

"Last year a study by a team at Glasgow University found that former professional footballers were three and a half times more likely to die from dementia and other serious neurological diseases."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/16/can-football-headers-lead-to-demen

thoughts.......
No more heading the ball ? on 16:03 - Jan 16 with 4243 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Has some merit, but a lot of sports have inherent dangers.

You can also ask whether the damage is as severe from the modern light weight balls that are in use today.

Also, hoof ball is more frowned upon now, in favour of playing it out from the back, suggesting that there may now be less heading in the game today anyway.

The report was quite light on definitive figures in terms of the results they stated.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

No more heading the ball ? on 16:06 - Jan 16 with 4237 viewshype313

Think the training drills back in the day didn't help when they had to do continuous headers 50-100 at a time, especially with those heavy leather balls.

These days I can't see a major problem with banning it for under 12's, much like they have banned full contact in rugby for the youths, problem being the skills and technique lags behind as they learn it at a later date.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

No more heading the ball ? on 16:08 - Jan 16 with 4228 viewsGeoffSentence

I heard on the wireless this morning that Scotland is banning the heading of balls by children in football training, not in games just training, and that this was also done in the US a few years ago.

It seems a bit unnatural to me, there is just a desire and tendency to want to use any part of the body to control or strike the ball, so it would be difficult to remove that from the game. That said I guess the same tendency applies to use of the hand and that has been removed by the laws of the game.

Dementia is a terrible condition, so if heading is complicit in bringing it on early,then yes it would be a good thing to remove it from the game.

The whole structure of the game would change, but given some of the turgid airborne stuff we have seen over recent years it might be something to be welcomed.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

No more heading the ball ? on 16:15 - Jan 16 with 4196 viewsjeera

No more heading the ball ? on 16:08 - Jan 16 by GeoffSentence

I heard on the wireless this morning that Scotland is banning the heading of balls by children in football training, not in games just training, and that this was also done in the US a few years ago.

It seems a bit unnatural to me, there is just a desire and tendency to want to use any part of the body to control or strike the ball, so it would be difficult to remove that from the game. That said I guess the same tendency applies to use of the hand and that has been removed by the laws of the game.

Dementia is a terrible condition, so if heading is complicit in bringing it on early,then yes it would be a good thing to remove it from the game.

The whole structure of the game would change, but given some of the turgid airborne stuff we have seen over recent years it might be something to be welcomed.

You'd think maybe boxing would fall into the same category of concern.

What with being punched in the face repeatedly.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

No more heading the ball ? on 16:17 - Jan 16 with 4192 viewsjeera

No more heading the ball ? on 16:06 - Jan 16 by hype313

Think the training drills back in the day didn't help when they had to do continuous headers 50-100 at a time, especially with those heavy leather balls.

These days I can't see a major problem with banning it for under 12's, much like they have banned full contact in rugby for the youths, problem being the skills and technique lags behind as they learn it at a later date.

We still had a leather ball in the household when I was a kid.

It hurt enough trying to head the thing but if you copped the side with the stitching...

When it was wet it was like a boulder and I could barely move the thing along the ground.

No more heading the ball ? on 16:19 - Jan 16 with 4180 viewsitfcjoe

Wouldn't surprise me if totally taken out of youth football, think it is in the States already

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

No more heading the ball ? on 16:19 - Jan 16 with 4177 viewshoppy

No more heading the ball ? on 16:17 - Jan 16 by jeera

We still had a leather ball in the household when I was a kid.

It hurt enough trying to head the thing but if you copped the side with the stitching...

When it was wet it was like a boulder and I could barely move the thing along the ground.

Why didn't you just kick it along the ground, rather than trying to head it along?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

No more heading the ball ? on 16:34 - Jan 16 with 4120 viewsHARRY10

No more heading the ball ? on 16:19 - Jan 16 by hoppy

Why didn't you just kick it along the ground, rather than trying to head it along?

I think much of the damage would have been down to the ball being that much heavier - what might help if there was a compariso between outfield players and goalkeepers.

As to schoolkids there is a duty of care. Much of what is banned, whilst over exiting the' political correctness gone mad' brigade is often little more that an intent of avoiding future liability claims.

If say, a school stops children from heading a football in games it removes the chances of future liability claims. The threat of such claims will often mean the school will be requiured to take such action by it's insurers (it should not be too difficult to work out what is the cause there).

Unfortunately any grasp of the real cause might put the Daily Mail out of business as half of it's content would be invalid.
Login to get fewer ads

No more heading the ball ? on 16:57 - Jan 16 with 4071 viewsjeera

No more heading the ball ? on 16:19 - Jan 16 by hoppy

Maybe I hadn't considered that.

No more heading the ball ? on 17:13 - Jan 16 with 4053 viewsReuser_is_God

I’ve noticed this come up a bit in the last few years but is it wrong of me to suggest the solution has already been reached given how light the balls are these days?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

No more heading the ball ? on 17:22 - Jan 16 with 4033 viewshoppy

No more heading the ball ? on 16:57 - Jan 16 by jeera

Maybe I hadn't considered that.

Might've been easier. Just a thought.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

No more heading the ball ? on 17:24 - Jan 16 with 4032 viewsjeera

No more heading the ball ? on 17:22 - Jan 16 by hoppy

Might've been easier. Just a thought.

Well I'll know for next time.

No more heading the ball ? on 17:27 - Jan 16 with 4025 viewsyorkshire

No more heading the ball ? on 16:19 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

Wouldn't surprise me if totally taken out of youth football, think it is in the States already

Yes - I am involved in Youth Coaching out here and it is banned for u12s - Ref's have to stop the game and the player is warned not to do it again. We can't run any coaching drills involving heading with those age groups either
No more heading the ball ? on 17:29 - Jan 16 with 4014 viewsjeera

No more heading the ball ? on 17:27 - Jan 16 by yorkshire

Yes - I am involved in Youth Coaching out here and it is banned for u12s - Ref's have to stop the game and the player is warned not to do it again. We can't run any coaching drills involving heading with those age groups either

You'd think they'd be a training ball that is designed specifically to be safe.

Modern materials?

Lightweight plastic?

Sponge?

No more heading the ball ? on 17:37 - Jan 16 with 3993 viewsTractorWood

Sounds sensible. I remember training sessions when I was younger and there was sometimes 15 minutes of pointless heading before a little game.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

No more heading the ball ? on 17:40 - Jan 16 with 3989 viewsvapour_trail

Thing is, there are so few headers in a game at that age. I’m at two or three youth games each week, two or three headers a game under 12 I reckon.

Evidence base for this is lacking. Particularly on the effects from lighter modern balls that don’t retain water in the same way as previously.

That’s not to suggest the safety first approach is incorrect btw.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

No more heading the ball ? on 19:46 - Jan 16 with 3909 viewsTrequartista

How does this new Health and Safety directive apply to football but not boxing? Surely it's more dangerous to receive continuous punches to the head?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

No more heading the ball ? on 20:53 - Jan 16 with 3850 viewsHARRY10

No more heading the ball ? on 19:46 - Jan 16 by Trequartista

How does this new Health and Safety directive apply to football but not boxing? Surely it's more dangerous to receive continuous punches to the head?

what "new Health and Safety directive" ?
No more heading the ball ? on 22:36 - Jan 16 with 3804 viewsbazgammon

No more heading the ball ? on 19:46 - Jan 16 by Trequartista

tbf the balls in 60's had laces on them were ridiculously heavy and got heavier in the wet despite the late great Ted Phillips (having the hardest recorded shot in England in the 60's) but even he succumbed to dementia. Balls today are much lighter and softer than even the footballs of the 1980's and 1990's like Mitre Multiplexes which were still pretty hard Footballs.

Poll: Lambert

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024