Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. 09:08 - Jan 17 with 859 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

It's great to see how they use video technology. I'm sure they too had teething problems and I know it's easier to define certain things in different sports, but it does feel we could learn there.

Likewise, the respect referees get. It's refreshing to see players get on with it.

But the most impressive thing is that Saracens look to be relegated. They breached their FFP and got a massive points deduction and fine, but now they are going to breach it again by the looks of it and they've been told they will be relegated. Meanwhile there have been countless cases of clubs like Bournemouth, QPR, Derby and so on breaching rules, overspending, finding little loopholes with penalties deferred, reduced or watered down if they even come at all.

Would be fantastic if football followed their example, put proper penalties in place and realised the integrity of the game is part of what makes it so great.

On a separate note I really hope Bournemouth go down.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. on 09:24 - Jan 17 with 828 viewsBlueBadger

Ah yes, Plucky Bournemouth. I think at one point I hated them more than I did Derby.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. on 09:25 - Jan 17 with 824 viewsfactual_blue

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. on 09:24 - Jan 17 by BlueBadger

Ah yes, Plucky Bournemouth. I think at one point I hated them more than I did Derby.

But not as much as you hate Ipswich?

[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 9:26]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. on 09:26 - Jan 17 with 820 viewsBlueBadger

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. on 09:25 - Jan 17 by factual_blue

But not as much as you hate Ipswich?

[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 9:26]

They're even worse than Norwich, that lot.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. on 09:36 - Jan 17 with 791 viewsDarth_Koont

Rugby is much more about respect as a core value throughout the game. It's talked about everywhere you go as the basic principle of playing, coaching, refereeing, administrating, attending etc. And being an amateur sport for so long has still left its mark.

But I think, in the modern era, the mic'ed up refs also makes a huge difference. Doesn't help fans at the game but most are used to hearing the thought process and explanation of video and other normal play decisions.

For football, as well as the technical teething problems of working with a VAR official and the TV companies to get the right footage, I think the secrecy surrounding the VAR decision process is a bit short-sighted. If they're taking the time to review the decision, hearing the thought process is key. Plus in general play, I think it would be good to hear their take on situations and would probably deter players from hurling as much abuse too.

Whether it's respect or the transparency of the decision-making In rugby, there is almost zero discussion of refereeing decisions at halftime and fulltime. There have only been a couple of notable incidents over the years. Contrast that with football where it's rare that the pundits don't debate a decision or two, always chipping away at the officials' standing in the game.

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. on 10:17 - Jan 17 with 748 viewsElephantintheRoom

The obvious thing thay can learn is respect for the laws of the game and the officials applying it. Forward passes and offsides are routinely ignored - let alone the absurdity that a scrum has now become. Aside from that rugby is an extremely tedious stop start game with a bewildering number of fiddly rules, regularly amended. Stopping for a bit of video review is really neither here nor there. In a faster moving game such as football it is far more intrusive - and every law is open to personal interpretation. VAR was always likely to be disastrously intrusive and achieve virtually nothing - and so it is proving.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. on 10:52 - Jan 17 with 724 viewsFixed_It

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. on 09:36 - Jan 17 by Darth_Koont

Rugby is much more about respect as a core value throughout the game. It's talked about everywhere you go as the basic principle of playing, coaching, refereeing, administrating, attending etc. And being an amateur sport for so long has still left its mark.

But I think, in the modern era, the mic'ed up refs also makes a huge difference. Doesn't help fans at the game but most are used to hearing the thought process and explanation of video and other normal play decisions.

For football, as well as the technical teething problems of working with a VAR official and the TV companies to get the right footage, I think the secrecy surrounding the VAR decision process is a bit short-sighted. If they're taking the time to review the decision, hearing the thought process is key. Plus in general play, I think it would be good to hear their take on situations and would probably deter players from hurling as much abuse too.

Whether it's respect or the transparency of the decision-making In rugby, there is almost zero discussion of refereeing decisions at halftime and fulltime. There have only been a couple of notable incidents over the years. Contrast that with football where it's rare that the pundits don't debate a decision or two, always chipping away at the officials' standing in the game.

I went to my first rugby match in years just before Christmas, and many of the regulars had bought ear-pieces so they could hear the referees communications.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

I'm not a huge fan of rugby but there's so much football can learn. on 11:15 - Jan 17 with 698 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Come on. Little old Bournemouth, nobody wants that fairytale to end.

Only kidding, they are on their way down

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024