Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? 12:52 - Jan 18 with 1219 viewsTrequartista

can't find the option.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 12:52]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:06 - Jan 18 with 1198 viewsRyorry

Options are usually automatically presented - shortest, quickest, avoiding M-ways etc.

Or click on each of the roads shown on map, whereupon they then become highlighted & show distance, time etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:13 - Jan 18 with 1184 viewsTrequartista

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:06 - Jan 18 by Ryorry

Options are usually automatically presented - shortest, quickest, avoiding M-ways etc.

Or click on each of the roads shown on map, whereupon they then become highlighted & show distance, time etc.

It gives me directions, and then if I think this other way is quicker and drag it to my route, it then tells me my route is quicker. How do i make it select the quickest route in the first place? The only route options are avoid highways, tolls and ferries and i have them all unticked.

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:20 - Jan 18 with 1168 viewsuefacup81

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:13 - Jan 18 by Trequartista

It gives me directions, and then if I think this other way is quicker and drag it to my route, it then tells me my route is quicker. How do i make it select the quickest route in the first place? The only route options are avoid highways, tolls and ferries and i have them all unticked.

Are you doing a simple A-to-B route, or do you have intermediate destinations?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:22 - Jan 18 with 1159 viewsTrequartista

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:20 - Jan 18 by uefacup81

Are you doing a simple A-to-B route, or do you have intermediate destinations?

Just A to B. If I add "Via C" on my alternative route it's quicker!

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:32 - Jan 18 with 1138 viewsGuthrum

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:13 - Jan 18 by Trequartista

Try the Bing Maps one and compare the results. Sometimes the algorithms on these things can throw up odd results (not to mention sending you a long way round).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:33 - Jan 18 with 1136 viewsRyorry

If you ask for A to B, a panel (mine's in blue) should pop up on left of your screen saying fastest route and giving an alternative. Have you inadvertantly disabled that maybe? (You get rid of it by clicking the arrow it has at top R). When I just keyed in postcode to L'pool, I got this -

ABC -
Liverpool

Add destination
OPTIONS
Send directions to your phone
2 h 14 min
98.1 miles
via M65
Fastest route, the usual traffic
(gives detailed directions)

Via A61, A59
2 h 15 min
96.4 miles
[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 13:38]

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:38 - Jan 18 with 1129 viewsTrequartista

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:32 - Jan 18 by Guthrum

Try the Bing Maps one and compare the results. Sometimes the algorithms on these things can throw up odd results (not to mention sending you a long way round).

Yep Bing found the correct road - thank you.

If you are coming west out of Ardleigh, and heading for Portman Road (i'm not actually there, it's just an example), google maps gives an option for the Old Ipswich Road via Wick Lane of 27 mins or through Dedham of 28 mins.

But when you join the Old Ipswich Road heading towards Colchester it takes you all the way down to the A120 roundabout to join the A12. There is a road before that going under the A12. Add that road as a "Via" and suddenly it's 25 mins.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 13:41]

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:44 - Jan 18 with 1100 viewsRyorry

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:38 - Jan 18 by Trequartista

If you are coming west out of Ardleigh, and heading for Portman Road (i'm not actually there, it's just an example), google maps gives an option for the Old Ipswich Road via Wick Lane of 27 mins or through Dedham of 28 mins.

But when you join the Old Ipswich Road heading towards Colchester it takes you all the way down to the A120 roundabout to join the A12. There is a road before that going under the A12. Add that road as a "Via" and suddenly it's 25 mins.

Google maps are notoriously innacurate in some local places. Our village hall is shown on their maps in completely the wrong place - half a mile away - which is a helluva headache when you've organised a theatre night there by a touring company, & not only some of the ticket-holders coming from a long way away, but also the theatre company themselves can't find it - *and* it's in a signal blackspot!

Login to get fewer ads

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:47 - Jan 18 with 1091 viewsTrequartista

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:44 - Jan 18 by Ryorry

Google maps are notoriously innacurate in some local places. Our village hall is shown on their maps in completely the wrong place - half a mile away - which is a helluva headache when you've organised a theatre night there by a touring company, & not only some of the ticket-holders coming from a long way away, but also the theatre company themselves can't find it - *and* it's in a signal blackspot!

Yes, actual places are often a few hundred yards away, but i always thought it found the quickest route. I could understand if it thought the road wasn't there or was a private road, but it knows it's there because it recalculated when i forced it to use it.

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:48 - Jan 18 with 1091 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:38 - Jan 18 by Trequartista

I’m pretty sure that most maps functions and sat navs basically default to sending via main roads as often as possible. Presumably as they don’t know the actual roads and therefore to avoid sending people down roads which are completely inaccessible

For example even directing me across Ipswich, my sat nav will basically send me round the A14 (I live Ransomes end) to get to Whitehouse whereas knowing the various rat runs I can make it across quicker and shorter by going across town

I don’t think there’s a way to prevent this, other than manually adding in via points as you’ve done

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:54 - Jan 18 with 1077 viewsTrequartista

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:48 - Jan 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’m pretty sure that most maps functions and sat navs basically default to sending via main roads as often as possible. Presumably as they don’t know the actual roads and therefore to avoid sending people down roads which are completely inaccessible

For example even directing me across Ipswich, my sat nav will basically send me round the A14 (I live Ransomes end) to get to Whitehouse whereas knowing the various rat runs I can make it across quicker and shorter by going across town

I don’t think there’s a way to prevent this, other than manually adding in via points as you’ve done

Yes i think i've seen settings on satnavs to stick to main roads. If you de-select this it can often work the other way - it will send you down a narrow track thinking it is quicker because the speed limit is 60 but it is so windy (wine-dee) and narrow that it is a slower road.

I assumed google maps on a pc offered the quickest route though and i can't see a setting to force it.

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 14:46 - Jan 18 with 1023 viewshampstead_blue

Have you tried Waze?

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 15:44 - Jan 18 with 988 viewsitfcjim

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 13:44 - Jan 18 by Ryorry

Where Google maps has an incorrect listing for somewhere you can correct it (though I think only on Desktop). I did this the other day for my mother in law's house as it kept sending me (and couriers etc) a mile further down the road. On reflection it was probably trying to do me a favour.

The correction took about a week and it's now correct on all devices
How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 17:44 - Jan 18 with 930 viewsRyorry

How do you get google maps to select the quickest route? on 15:44 - Jan 18 by itfcjim

Where Google maps has an incorrect listing for somewhere you can correct it (though I think only on Desktop). I did this the other day for my mother in law's house as it kept sending me (and couriers etc) a mile further down the road. On reflection it was probably trying to do me a favour.

The correction took about a week and it's now correct on all devices

Oh right, would be interested to hear more about that. I'm on a mac tho, not sure what you mean by desktop?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024