Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Credit to Lambert 21:31 - Jan 18 with 3398 viewsjasondozzell

He's nothing if not determined. Think we were all frustrated with the bad run, but had some of those draws/ losses been distributed more evenly and towards start of the season we would probably have been less worried.

No season is going to be perfect and Leeds/Sheff Utd know how hard this league is to get out of.

Lambert has worked hard to get stuff right off the pitch and he's on balance done a good job on it too. The rotation was a mistake but we might find we are fresher towards end of season. Think he's handled Huws and Bishop well in terms of not overloading them too quickly.

And we have played some very good football at times this season- what's been missing is the consistency. He's got a good balance in the team now and he's been brave in encouraging us to get on front foot again. The overlapping CBs for example.

His signings have been v solid too. Garbutt, KVY etc.

He's got a bit of a thin skin but in some ways I like that he can be moody - he clearly cares.

I was bemused by the 5 year contract but the more you think about it the more it makes sense. A settled and supported Lambert might just have another success in him before retirement.

Credit to Lambert on 21:35 - Jan 18 with 3362 viewsHipsterectomy

We have probably 3 of the hardest games of the season in the next 4 games. Thank God we have won a few before them

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Credit to Lambert on 21:43 - Jan 18 with 3299 viewsjasondozzell

Credit to Lambert on 21:35 - Jan 18 by Hipsterectomy

We have probably 3 of the hardest games of the season in the next 4 games. Thank God we have won a few before them

Agree that next 3 games are crucial. But we should be confident. 6 points from 9 is possible. Our run in towards the end of the season is good. Bish and KVY to come back in to contention.
Credit to Lambert on 22:09 - Jan 18 with 3186 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Would have been so much better if he hadn't persisted with the rotation for so long.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Credit to Lambert on 22:12 - Jan 18 with 3165 viewsjasondozzell

Credit to Lambert on 22:09 - Jan 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Would have been so much better if he hadn't persisted with the rotation for so long.

Yes. I think the changes for cup games didn't help either.
Credit to Lambert on 22:34 - Jan 18 with 3083 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Good post

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Credit to Lambert on 22:38 - Jan 18 with 3076 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Credit to Lambert on 22:09 - Jan 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

It's very hard to know that. He's taken the less easy to please the fans option of playing the long game and we'll see the fruits of that last quarter of the season. As the OP has said he's the first person to get Huws fully fit and in a good place and the rotation policy has been good for Huws. Could be same for Bishop and Norwood also. When have we had this many players off the treatment table!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Credit to Lambert on 22:53 - Jan 18 with 3016 viewsBluefish

Credit to Lambert on 22:38 - Jan 18 by Terry_Nutkins

It's very hard to know that. He's taken the less easy to please the fans option of playing the long game and we'll see the fruits of that last quarter of the season. As the OP has said he's the first person to get Huws fully fit and in a good place and the rotation policy has been good for Huws. Could be same for Bishop and Norwood also. When have we had this many players off the treatment table!

Are you implying that we set ourselves up in that awful run so that we don't have a awful run later?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Credit to Lambert on 23:04 - Jan 18 with 2957 viewsHerbivore

The recent upturn isn't the result of a Lambert masterplan where we carefully threw a quarter of the season for the greater good. His captain and his boss have both reminded him of the basics of being a manager and thankfully he's listened. The issue with the rotation was that it evidenced no plan at all and had we done what we're doing now instead we'd likely still be comfortably top of the league. Let's hope the recent upturn continues, it's nice to be winning games again.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Credit to Lambert on 23:13 - Jan 18 with 2935 viewsSomethingBlue

Credit to Lambert on 22:53 - Jan 18 by Bluefish

Are you implying that we set ourselves up in that awful run so that we don't have a awful run later?

One obvious point to make - not that I think Lambert got things right during our bad run, because he manifestly didn't - is this: do we think Huws was ready to start four straight league games, and three in a week, earlier this season? Perhaps we are now, for the first time, playing with a more or less ready-to-go deck. I'm playing devil's advocate a little bit, clearly.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 23:18]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Credit to Lambert on 00:20 - Jan 19 with 2783 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Easing Huws and Bishop in is not a reason for making so many changes.

That's a nonsense.

His rotation policy was not restricted to those two!

I wish people would stop mixing these issues up.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Credit to Lambert on 00:29 - Jan 19 with 2762 viewsBlueBadger

Credit to Lambert on 22:53 - Jan 18 by Bluefish

Lulling the third division into a false sense of security.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Credit to Lambert on 00:53 - Jan 19 with 2737 viewsBlueBadger

I'm not sure I buy the theory that a wholly avoidable 12 match winless run in the third division was part of some kind of master plan on the part of either Lambert or Evans.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2020 10:29]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Credit to Lambert on 00:57 - Jan 19 with 2716 viewsjeera

Credit to Lambert on 00:53 - Jan 19 by BlueBadger

I'm not sure I buy the theory that a wholly avoidable 12 match winless run in the third division was part of some kind of master plan on the part of either Lambert or Evans.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2020 10:29]

No, it's clearly not true at all.

It is in fact, never mind how endearing of some posters to offer such a loyal explanation, complaints about PL were justified because, well, we were getting no results for weeks and almost everyone had pinpointed the exact same reasons why.

It's hardly a coincidence that once the sodding about stopped so did the uncertainty.

It is of course good that long-term absentees have returned too, but that's not the obvious point here that people have been making.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Credit to Lambert on 07:28 - Jan 19 with 2533 viewsOxford_Blue

Credit to Lambert on 23:04 - Jan 18 by Herbivore

The recent upturn isn't the result of a Lambert masterplan where we carefully threw a quarter of the season for the greater good. His captain and his boss have both reminded him of the basics of being a manager and thankfully he's listened. The issue with the rotation was that it evidenced no plan at all and had we done what we're doing now instead we'd likely still be comfortably top of the league. Let's hope the recent upturn continues, it's nice to be winning games again.

The flaw in blaming rotation is that we were top of the league with it in place.

Isn’t the point that all teams go through bad runs, and we have now hopefully pulled out of it.

There is a lot of resentment and frustration around the club, and it has been aimed at Lambert, in most cases unfairly.
Credit to Lambert on 07:45 - Jan 19 with 2503 viewsHerbivore

Credit to Lambert on 23:13 - Jan 18 by SomethingBlue

One obvious point to make - not that I think Lambert got things right during our bad run, because he manifestly didn't - is this: do we think Huws was ready to start four straight league games, and three in a week, earlier this season? Perhaps we are now, for the first time, playing with a more or less ready-to-go deck. I'm playing devil's advocate a little bit, clearly.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2020 23:18]

Giving Huws game time didn't necessitate making 5 or 6 changes and changing formation every week.

Credit to Lambert on 07:48 - Jan 19 with 2494 viewsBluefish

Credit to Lambert on 07:45 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Giving Huws game time didn't necessitate making 5 or 6 changes and changing formation every week.

There are a couple of posters that will argue white is black to defend Lambert. It is rather bizarre, surely the point of the board is to actually discuss what we get right and equally what we don't.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Credit to Lambert on 08:11 - Jan 19 with 2437 viewsHerbivore

Credit to Lambert on 07:28 - Jan 19 by Oxford_Blue

The flaw in blaming rotation is that we were top of the league with it in place.

Isn’t the point that all teams go through bad runs, and we have now hopefully pulled out of it.

There is a lot of resentment and frustration around the club, and it has been aimed at Lambert, in most cases unfairly.

If you look at our early good form whilst there was rotation it was less extreme than it then became. In our unbeaten first eleven games, Holy started every game, as did Downes and Skuse. Chambers, Norwood and Jackson each missed only one game. We largely played 4-4-2, only really deviating towards the end of the run to three at the back, but in some games where we lined up differently, such as AFC Wimbledon and Tranmere, we reverted back to 4-4-2 at or before half time.

We had a pretty settled core in that early run and, for the most part, a fairly settled formation. After that the changes to line up and system became far more frequent, for example in the eleven games after when we only won once, Holy played four times and Norris seven. Those who were ever present or virtually ever present previously started to miss games too.

We picked up 27 points from those opening eleven fixtures at well over 2 points per game. The next eleven games yielded just 10 points, which is relegation form. Since settling on a more settled line up and formation again we've picked up 8 points in four games. So I think when you break it down like that, yes you can pin our bad run on too many changes to the team and system during that period, you can certainly say fairly confidently that it was very likely a contributing factor.

Credit to Lambert on 08:45 - Jan 19 with 2398 viewsdavblue

How many different playing styles have we had in the 14 months in charge? He’s been a flitter whilst he’s been here for me. Rotation I’ve not been too concerned by its changing of systems/ style that has been the issue imo.

I still can’t quite pin us to a style we try and play football at the back then just go direct, we still don’t create a lot and have to work hard to score a goal. We need a few more going forward who can do something different and a hold up player to allow us to bring our midfield into the game.
Credit to Lambert on 08:49 - Jan 19 with 2393 viewsHerbivore

Credit to Lambert on 08:45 - Jan 19 by davblue

How many different playing styles have we had in the 14 months in charge? He’s been a flitter whilst he’s been here for me. Rotation I’ve not been too concerned by its changing of systems/ style that has been the issue imo.

I still can’t quite pin us to a style we try and play football at the back then just go direct, we still don’t create a lot and have to work hard to score a goal. We need a few more going forward who can do something different and a hold up player to allow us to bring our midfield into the game.

I've seen over the past four games or so a style starting to emerge to be fair. We're playing a much more high tempo game and zipping the ball around and using the CBs to create overlaps out wide. It's enabling us to stretch sides a lot more and actually create chances, which we weren't doing nearly enough in our bad run. We still go direct at times, but that's fine. You need to have that in your locker too. A good direct ball gets you on the front foot quickly.

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:01 - Jan 19 with 2359 viewsRegencyBlue

Credit to Lambert on 08:49 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

I've seen over the past four games or so a style starting to emerge to be fair. We're playing a much more high tempo game and zipping the ball around and using the CBs to create overlaps out wide. It's enabling us to stretch sides a lot more and actually create chances, which we weren't doing nearly enough in our bad run. We still go direct at times, but that's fine. You need to have that in your locker too. A good direct ball gets you on the front foot quickly.

Credit to Lambert on 09:42 - Jan 19 with 2282 viewsChrisd

Credit to Lambert on 23:04 - Jan 18 by Herbivore

Also, he's not shoehorning players into the starting XI because he wants to get them in the side and he's playing those that are selected in their correct position. The central midfield was a complete mess, he had far too many options, but he's 'stumbled' across his best option, not sure that was by luck or judgement? Thankfully, we have looked a far better and settled side since Wycombe away. Certainly got more hope in getting promotion than prior to Christmas as PL seemed determined to throw that all away.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Credit to Lambert on 09:54 - Jan 19 with 2251 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Credit to Lambert on 07:48 - Jan 19 by Bluefish

There are a couple of posters that will argue white is black to defend Lambert. It is rather bizarre, surely the point of the board is to actually discuss what we get right and equally what we don't.

Equally there are a few posters willing to argue white is black to criticise him.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024