Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... 11:37 - Jan 19 with 5118 viewsFixed_It

...because he was told to stop the squad rotation by Evans and Chambers (I assume you were invited to listen in to these conversations), can we also assume that Evans and Chambers came up with the idea of overlapping centre-backs? And presumably insisted on Lambert going to watch Sheffield United?

I agree that we look better with a bit more consistent team selection (aided by Huws regaining fitness) but to infer that Lambert can take zero credit - or that form isn't cyclical - is simply the talk of idiots.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2020 11:58]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 11:44 - Jan 19 with 4482 viewsHerbivore

He deserves credit, he listened and finally stopped making a pig's ear of it. He'a still had to implement the advice and pick a more settled team. Fair play to him, I hope it continues and our form continues to improve.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 11:45 - Jan 19 with 4491 viewsLankHenners

When the 'honest chat' occurred after the Lincoln game between Lambert and the players, what do you think was said and by who...?

He was told to stop dicking about with formations and work on one idea the players could get behind and learn to play well. Credit to him for listening and now everyone's singing from the same hymn sheet it's unsurprising that we've been better.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 11:52 - Jan 19 with 4458 viewsBackToRussia

Clearly true. It's also clearly true it rankled with Lambo, hence the recent spikiness. Which shows he's stubborn and has a huge ego. Not necessarily bad but certainly gave lie to the fun loving, club before me image that Lambo had been trying to put over.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 12:15 - Jan 19 with 4370 viewsKeaneish

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 11:45 - Jan 19 by LankHenners

When the 'honest chat' occurred after the Lincoln game between Lambert and the players, what do you think was said and by who...?

He was told to stop dicking about with formations and work on one idea the players could get behind and learn to play well. Credit to him for listening and now everyone's singing from the same hymn sheet it's unsurprising that we've been better.

He should also be given credit for the fact the squad should now have three systems drilled into them so we have a plan A, B and C should we need it in games. No doubt the squad rotation went on a bit too long but their are lots of upsides to it. Whether they’re inadvertent or planned we’ll never know but I’d like to think that given his experience in this league, a lot of this has been part of the strategy to be stronger, fitter and fresher in the second half the season. If that is the case, well done PL - time will tell.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 12:39 - Jan 19 with 4300 viewsLankHenners

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 12:15 - Jan 19 by Keaneish

He should also be given credit for the fact the squad should now have three systems drilled into them so we have a plan A, B and C should we need it in games. No doubt the squad rotation went on a bit too long but their are lots of upsides to it. Whether they’re inadvertent or planned we’ll never know but I’d like to think that given his experience in this league, a lot of this has been part of the strategy to be stronger, fitter and fresher in the second half the season. If that is the case, well done PL - time will tell.

A lot of people are confusing what a good rotation system should do at its best and what we were doing for the past couple of months. He was making a complete cock of it and had to be told so by his own players before he started putting things right. Regardless of how positive that turns out to be, I still find it troubling it had to get to that point.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 13:13 - Jan 19 with 4233 viewsHerbivore

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 12:15 - Jan 19 by Keaneish

There's really no evidence that the constant changing about that led to our 2-3 month poor run had anything to do with having a plan.

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 13:19 - Jan 19 with 4212 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 11:52 - Jan 19 by BackToRussia

Clearly true. It's also clearly true it rankled with Lambo, hence the recent spikiness. Which shows he's stubborn and has a huge ego. Not necessarily bad but certainly gave lie to the fun loving, club before me image that Lambo had been trying to put over.

A certain previous (fairly successful) manager would have clearly stated that the more fans demanded it, the less likely it was to happen!

Whatever the reasons, Lambert is in charge and has made the call. If it works to our advantage, let's not worry too much about why and how and apportioning credit and blame and just accept the outcome. The rotation worked fine for us in terms of results for a third of the season and the consistency appears to be bearing fruit now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 13:31 - Jan 19 with 4179 viewsChurchman

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 13:13 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

There's really no evidence that the constant changing about that led to our 2-3 month poor run had anything to do with having a plan.

I doubt there was much of a plan other than to give all the players a game now and again.

As far as turning things around are concerned, we have won twice against all the teams in the top half of the table. While beating Tranmere and Accrington in the last week is great, the true form test will come when we play the better sides.
Login to get fewer ads

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 14:50 - Jan 19 with 4061 viewsBlueBadger

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 13:13 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Sure it was, Lambo was lulling the rest onto a false sense of security. We'll be promoted by the end of March.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 14:57 - Jan 19 with 4038 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 13:31 - Jan 19 by Churchman

I doubt there was much of a plan other than to give all the players a game now and again.

As far as turning things around are concerned, we have won twice against all the teams in the top half of the table. While beating Tranmere and Accrington in the last week is great, the true form test will come when we play the better sides.

Although if we win every game against bottom half sides and draw a good number of the ones against top half ones, we won't be far away. It is as much about winning the games we "should" win as beating those around us.

Of course, beating Rotherham, Peterborough and Sunderland would put us in a great position, though.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 15:17 - Jan 19 with 3990 viewsKeaneish

Why not though? It may always have been the plan. Whether it worked or not at the time was evident for all to see. Like I said ages ago, we may now be seeing the start of the benefits and in for a strong end to the season because of the rotation.

Given we’ve tried so many systems, lots of different tactics within those systems, it points to one of two things: either PL figured he could outsmart every manager every game or that the first half of the season was to try and test out different options and drills so we’re well catered for all eventualities heading into the second half.

The latter of these is very smart and gives me complete reassurance, the former it’s binary opposite!

I honestly don’t think we’ve got more than two defeats in us now though looking at our fixture list.

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 16:28 - Jan 19 with 3839 viewsHerbivore

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 15:17 - Jan 19 by Keaneish

Why not though? It may always have been the plan. Whether it worked or not at the time was evident for all to see. Like I said ages ago, we may now be seeing the start of the benefits and in for a strong end to the season because of the rotation.

Given we’ve tried so many systems, lots of different tactics within those systems, it points to one of two things: either PL figured he could outsmart every manager every game or that the first half of the season was to try and test out different options and drills so we’re well catered for all eventualities heading into the second half.

The latter of these is very smart and gives me complete reassurance, the former it’s binary opposite!

I honestly don’t think we’ve got more than two defeats in us now though looking at our fixture list.

Well he belligerently kept on with something that wasn't working with no hint of changing tack until his captain and his boss pointed out the obvious, and fair play to him he listened. It was then that things changed. I find it hard to believe that the plan was to mess about with selection, to our detriment, right up to the end of 2019 and then come 2020 to stop the rotation and changing of tactics. That just doesn't tally up.

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 16:37 - Jan 19 with 3817 viewsdavblue

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 16:28 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Well he belligerently kept on with something that wasn't working with no hint of changing tack until his captain and his boss pointed out the obvious, and fair play to him he listened. It was then that things changed. I find it hard to believe that the plan was to mess about with selection, to our detriment, right up to the end of 2019 and then come 2020 to stop the rotation and changing of tactics. That just doesn't tally up.

yeah losing a really healthy points gap with games in hand to go down to 5th is always part of the plan to at least make it interesting!
To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 17:26 - Jan 19 with 3714 viewsKeaneish

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 16:28 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

Wasn’t working on the pitch but off it we won’t know until May. Rotation has given us a fully fit squad with a multitude of drilled systems and real competition for places which can only be healthy. We lost our way which wasn’t part of the plan and have now reverted to a settled system again with the whole squad in a much better place.

This doesn’t have the feel of the belligerent Mick years. We know there’s been regular dialogue with the team so it would be more of a surprise if it was a single dressing room chat which triggered the change. PL said at the start of the season everyone would get their chance and that’s happened so it’s clear there was going to be a period of trial and error for some.

I’m on the fence really but he gets the benefit of the doubt if he maintains the approach we now have.

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 17:30 - Jan 19 with 3706 viewsBackToRussia

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 13:19 - Jan 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

A certain previous (fairly successful) manager would have clearly stated that the more fans demanded it, the less likely it was to happen!

Whatever the reasons, Lambert is in charge and has made the call. If it works to our advantage, let's not worry too much about why and how and apportioning credit and blame and just accept the outcome. The rotation worked fine for us in terms of results for a third of the season and the consistency appears to be bearing fruit now.

They would have both been wiser to not get involved in a slanging match with either the fans or media. It was the beginning of the end for Mick, and to be fair, Lambo's whole schtick when he came in here was unity and precisely not doing things like baiting the fans or making it about him. Now we know that was just a bit of politics.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 18:13 - Jan 19 with 3600 viewsHerbivore

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 17:26 - Jan 19 by Keaneish

Wasn’t working on the pitch but off it we won’t know until May. Rotation has given us a fully fit squad with a multitude of drilled systems and real competition for places which can only be healthy. We lost our way which wasn’t part of the plan and have now reverted to a settled system again with the whole squad in a much better place.

This doesn’t have the feel of the belligerent Mick years. We know there’s been regular dialogue with the team so it would be more of a surprise if it was a single dressing room chat which triggered the change. PL said at the start of the season everyone would get their chance and that’s happened so it’s clear there was going to be a period of trial and error for some.

I’m on the fence really but he gets the benefit of the doubt if he maintains the approach we now have.

We know already it wasn't working though, over the course of 11 games - exactly a quarter of the season - we amassed just 10 points. That's relegation form. Solid midtable form over that run of games would have us clear at the top right now. Because of his bizarre decisions - and they were bizarre - we're now scrapping with 8 or 9 other sides for a promotion spot rather than well on our way to the title.

You say we're now well drilled in multiple formations but I don't agree. During our poor run we didn't play any of the systems used proficiently. There was no sense the side was well drilled. We've had and would have competition for places if we'd kept a largely settled side and system with just 2 or 3 changes all week. There is literally nothing that justifies the pig's ear he made of the last two and a half months of 2019, all the things you think he hoped to have achieved could have been achieved with far less disruption and probably better results.

The comparison with Mick is also a little amiss for me. Both are belligerent with the press and the fans, as we're seeing from Lambert recently. Mick was an excellent man manager who listened to his players, they all loved him. Lambert it seems has finally done the same and listened to his players. Let's hope he didn't do it too late for us to get out of this league.

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 22:53 - Jan 19 with 3405 viewsTerry_Nutkins

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 11:52 - Jan 19 by BackToRussia

I don't think any of that is clearly true. I believe the rotation was a calculated risk before we settled into a team for the run in. It worked great for a while but went on a tad too long. We'll see if the benefits weigh out in the end.

Our run in is heavy in home games over away which hopefully will benefit.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 00:24 - Jan 20 with 3320 viewsChurchman

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 22:53 - Jan 19 by Terry_Nutkins

I don't think any of that is clearly true. I believe the rotation was a calculated risk before we settled into a team for the run in. It worked great for a while but went on a tad too long. We'll see if the benefits weigh out in the end.

If he took a calculated risk with rotation before a settled side for the run in, he clearly got it badly wrong. It should have been a settled side to hammer home the advantage we had and at least develop a consistent way of playing. It wasn’t as if we were playing that well early in the season and luck didn’t lend a hand.

The only thing that rationally explains the past two and a half months for me is PL not knowing his best side, the best way of playing them and trying to give everyone a game.

Yes, hopefully games at PR will become something teams don’t fancy, unlike 7 of the 11 to visit so far.
To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 07:31 - Jan 20 with 3163 viewsHerbivore

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 22:53 - Jan 19 by Terry_Nutkins

I can't believe you still think this was all part of some Lambert masterplan where he felt a run of 10 points in11 games was alright as we were playing the long game. It's nonsense. If his players, led by Chambers, and his boss hadn't made it plain to him that the rotation was killing us I doubt we'd have seen the change we've seen in the past few weeks. The fact it took a quarter of a season of relegation form and others pointing out the obvious isn't ideal as we're now in a proper scrap to go up when we could have been fairly comfortably clear, but at least we look to be turning a corner.

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 07:53 - Jan 20 with 3092 viewsChrisd

If we get promoted it will have nothing to do with that horrendous run of results prior to Christmas, it will be solely down to how we get on with the remaining 18 league games.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 7:55]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 07:55 - Jan 20 with 3087 viewsChrisd

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 07:31 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

I can't believe you still think this was all part of some Lambert masterplan where he felt a run of 10 points in11 games was alright as we were playing the long game. It's nonsense. If his players, led by Chambers, and his boss hadn't made it plain to him that the rotation was killing us I doubt we'd have seen the change we've seen in the past few weeks. The fact it took a quarter of a season of relegation form and others pointing out the obvious isn't ideal as we're now in a proper scrap to go up when we could have been fairly comfortably clear, but at least we look to be turning a corner.

Where there is a reluctance to compare PL and MM, 'stubbornness' is a clear trait they both have in common.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 07:55 - Jan 20 with 3085 viewsGaryCooper

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 11:44 - Jan 19 by Herbivore

He deserves credit, he listened and finally stopped making a pig's ear of it. He'a still had to implement the advice and pick a more settled team. Fair play to him, I hope it continues and our form continues to improve.

Where he deserves credit is the kid gloves ultra careful handling of Emyr Huws, if Huws can play in virtually every game between now and the end of the season we will go up automatically, it will then be a master stroke by PL, Huws is premier league quality.
To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 07:57 - Jan 20 with 3077 viewsDarth_Koont

But we rotated some players, not all and we changed systems dramatically from game to game too. We also haven't played all that well even when we were getting results in the early part of the season.

Whatever the reasons (or reasoning if this was somehow a calculated risk with one of the biggest and on paper strongest squads in the division), we look infinitely better now we've settled down to playing our best players in their best positions.

I do take the point that this is still a long season, but it's way too important a season for our long-term future to plan on playing catch up at the end. And if we're talking margins and being on the right side of them, our recent run significantly boosted the promotion chances of a dozen teams.

Pronouns: He/Him

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 07:57 - Jan 20 with 3070 viewsHerbivore

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 07:55 - Jan 20 by GaryCooper

Where he deserves credit is the kid gloves ultra careful handling of Emyr Huws, if Huws can play in virtually every game between now and the end of the season we will go up automatically, it will then be a master stroke by PL, Huws is premier league quality.

He could have done that without changing formation and swapping 5 or 6 players every week though.

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 08:00 - Jan 20 with 3060 viewsGaryCooper

To those of you who say PL has only turned things round... on 07:57 - Jan 20 by Herbivore

He could have done that without changing formation and swapping 5 or 6 players every week though.

Could not agree more, constant rotation is the emperors new clothes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024