Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has anyone on here got off jury service 19:49 - Jan 19 with 7575 viewsgerryitfc

I did once. Got home from holiday to find a letter on the door mat. When it said is there any reason why i wouldn't be suitable i said if i thought he/she was a Norwich fan I'd just find them guilty. I got let off and have never been asked since. I'd find it so boring.
Has anyone on here got off jury service on 16:04 - Jan 20 with 4144 viewsBlueBadger

I achieved it by spending three years at university to gain a qualification that essentially exempts me from it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 16:07 - Jan 20 with 4140 viewsLord_Lucan

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 22:46 - Jan 19 by jeera

Would that suffice nowadays?

Surely would. Got a business to run guv and no back up and all that would have to be taken into consideration.

Nowadays it is more flexible but I know that when I was first called I was struggling to keep afloat with a small business and jury service would have killed me - luckily I had a get out of jail free card. In fact I remember at the time there was a drama on the BBC about a man in similar circumstances who couldn't get out of it and it bankrupt him.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 16:12 - Jan 20 with 4125 viewsHalf_Idiot

Managed to get it delayed for a couple of months as I was sitting final year uni exams during the time they wanted me.

When I did eventually go it was few days before I sat on a case, which only lasted a day. The second week the same thing happened again only this time the case went on in to a third week because we couldn't decide a unanimous verdict.

Would happily do it again if called upon
Has anyone on here got off jury service on 16:40 - Jan 20 with 4102 viewsjeera

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 00:43 - Jan 20 by Sarge

I got out of it because I was away at uni and had exams coming up.

Right, so the answer is, if jury duty comes up, to get oneself signed up to a uni.

That might be a disproportionate response for some though to be fair.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 16:43 - Jan 20 with 4090 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes, I was overseas and out of contact. Luckily someone was checking my mail and sent a letter back (it was in the 'old days') saying I was uncontactable and wouldn't be back for 2 months.

And that was the last time I've ever heard anything about Jury Service. Must have been about 25 years ago now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 16:44 - Jan 20 with 4093 viewsMuncher

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 16:04 - Jan 20 by BlueBadger

I achieved it by spending three years at university to gain a qualification that essentially exempts me from it.

If you are referring to a law degree that has changed and you can still be called, despite being a barrister or solicitor.
Has anyone on here got off jury service on 19:35 - Jan 20 with 4056 viewsallezlesbleus

I've done it twice in the past (20 odd years ago).

First one was a suicide by jumping in front of a train on the Ipswich to Felixstowe line. The poor train driver was cleared of any blame within half a day. After the morning session, we were all informed that we didn't need to come back again.

The 2nd time a small time drug dealer get sent down for dealing heroin. When we left the courthouse, several gypsy females approached us and informed us that we now had the gypsy curse!!!!

From experience, I think you can refuse to do jury service once, but after that, they don't accept work / holiday commitments as an excuse. I think that if the case is predicted to go over a fortnight, then you are entitled to refuse to do it.
Has anyone on here got off jury service on 22:23 - Jan 20 with 3999 viewsKBsSocks

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 22:44 - Jan 19 by Guthrum

I don't object to doing it in principle, but it would be a nightmare to be summoned just as I had a string of time-sensitive work projects lined up. Being a sole trader, it could put a serious dent in my business and possibly alienate customers.

Guthrum, your attendance would cause "unusual hardship" for your business, so you'd have to tell them you could not attend.

Poll: Are Phil and Gav doing a great job re-TWTD ?
Blog: Comparison Time Again

Login to get fewer ads

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 22:38 - Jan 20 with 3990 viewsRyorry

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 16:44 - Jan 20 by Muncher

If you are referring to a law degree that has changed and you can still be called, despite being a barrister or solicitor.

Used to be also that Probation Officers (I was one), and iirc Police/Prison Officers also exempt - don't know if that's still the case.

I'd have been quite interested in doing it once retired, but sitting still for hours daily would have knackered my back & made me an unreliable attendee, so I'd prob have got exemption on medical grounds.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 03:44 - Jan 21 with 3957 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 19:35 - Jan 20 by allezlesbleus

I've done it twice in the past (20 odd years ago).

First one was a suicide by jumping in front of a train on the Ipswich to Felixstowe line. The poor train driver was cleared of any blame within half a day. After the morning session, we were all informed that we didn't need to come back again.

The 2nd time a small time drug dealer get sent down for dealing heroin. When we left the courthouse, several gypsy females approached us and informed us that we now had the gypsy curse!!!!

From experience, I think you can refuse to do jury service once, but after that, they don't accept work / holiday commitments as an excuse. I think that if the case is predicted to go over a fortnight, then you are entitled to refuse to do it.

Why on earth was the driver on trial for a suicide?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 06:48 - Jan 21 with 3927 viewsEly_Blue

My wife received a summons for Jury Service around Christmas time to start at the end of this month, it wasn’t convienient from her work perspective at that time so she asked to defer and they gave her a new date for the week after the bank holiday in August

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 07:34 - Jan 21 with 3917 viewsallezlesbleus

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 03:44 - Jan 21 by The_Romford_Blue

Why on earth was the driver on trial for a suicide?

That is exactly what all of us on the jury said. Ridiculous, the poor bloke was in a terrible state over what he had witnessed and the court case must have bought unbearable pressure on him.

At least his innocence was confirmed very swiftly on the first morning of the trial, but it was awful to see how badly this whole episode had affected him.
Has anyone on here got off jury service on 08:45 - Jan 21 with 3904 viewsGlasgowBlue

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 20:31 - Jan 19 by Lord_Lucan

I've got out of it twice

I’ve been called up twice.

The first time my name wasn’t pulled out of the hat so I was sent home, but had to go back for three consecutive days in case someone was sick.

The second time was about three years ago where two blokes were up for assault. We all concluded that they were probably guilty but the evidence was weak so we gave a verdict of not proven (you don’t get that option in England).

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 08:47 - Jan 21 with 3903 viewsBiGDonnie

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 21:08 - Jan 19 by Oldsmoker

Thanks to my youthful drunken behaviour the Criminal Justice system classed me as unsuitable for Jury duty. Lucky for me, all my employers who asked just thought I was a bit of a lad in my early days and it never stopped me getting a job.
So, long story short, get nicked and no Jury duty ever.

Yeah I'm the same. Gutted too as would have loved to have done it!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 12:02 - Jan 21 with 3879 viewsbracknell_blue

Twice. First in 1975 when I got a summons for the middle of my uni exams. My dad - who then worked for the CPS - pulled some strings, called in some favours, and got me out of it. Many years later I had to decline because I worked in a lab which did forensic work. That law changed a few years later so it only applied to those actually doing forensic work, and as a result quite a few colleagues got caught by it. Now there is no reason for me not to do jury service, I haven't been summonsed.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 12:33 - Jan 21 with 3866 viewsElephantintheRoom

I got out of it twice by claiming to be indispensable at work. Third tine not so lucky.... it was an interesting and stressful experience.

After half a day of waiting and chatting to a nice chap sitting next to me on day one we got dismissed and went to watch essex play cricket. The next day I got a drugs trial that took three days. He got a murder trial that took months and ended up being bussed to and from a hotel in a secret location.

I have to say that being locked in a room with 11 strangers most of whom did not understand the evidence in front of them made me lose all faith in the criminal justice system.

After a not guilty verdict was passed for various reasons 'i have to get home to the kids' 'I'm self employed' etc etc I went for a drink in the pub opposite chelmsford crown court.... and in walked the bloke who just got let off for a well earned pint.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 12:46 - Jan 21 with 3855 viewsMaySixth

I;ve done two murder cases at The Old Bailey in the space of ten years.

Both were very very interesting

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 12:50 - Jan 21 with 3851 viewsBrixtonBlue

If you've ever been treated for mental illness you're exempt.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Has anyone on here got off jury service on 13:13 - Jan 21 with 3832 viewsBluebell

They seem more relaxed now. Years ago I got the letter asking me to go for jury service, I told them I was 8 and a half months pregnant and needed to pee every 15 minutes. I had to get a doctor’s letter proving it.

I also got called a few years back and decided it would be good to go. It was a girl in her early 20s alleging that an older man had touched her sexually. I can’t remember many of the details but it went on for nearly 2 weeks and he was found not guilty which I completely agreed with. Sitting with the other members of the jury for ages deciding on the verdict was interesting.
Has anyone on here got off jury service on 13:15 - Jan 21 with 3829 viewschicoazul

A member of my extended family served on the jury of a very nasty gangland case and had to have police outside his door for 3 months during and afterwards and to this day has a panic alarm (this was over 20 years ago).
Enjoy!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024