Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped 09:46 - Jan 21 with 3888 viewsGuthrum

to ease the schedule of matches.

Why doesn't he drop out of things like the Champions League and the Club World Cup instead?

You know, rather than deleting something which benefits lower level clubs. It's not like he can't afford to have a whole separate squad to play LC games, anyway.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 9:49]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 09:54 - Jan 21 with 3857 viewsReuser_is_God

It makes me laugh when PL clubs say they want a winter break.

They already have one, it’s called playing your reserves in the FA cup 3rd round.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 09:59 - Jan 21 with 3826 viewsBasuco

So the big clubs can go on money spinning worldwide tours and play more exhibition matches than they would if they continued the league program. It is not about resting players, it is making money.
So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 10:00 - Jan 21 with 3822 viewsitfc48

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 09:54 - Jan 21 by Reuser_is_God

They already have one, it’s called playing your reserves in the FA cup 3rd round.

If they had a winter break they'd all be off to Dubai or America to play a friendly for £££'s
So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 10:31 - Jan 21 with 3727 viewsKeaneish

Come on, he's a genius remember.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 10:46 - Jan 21 with 3703 viewsJammyDodgerrr

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 09:54 - Jan 21 by Reuser_is_God

To be fair to Pep, he usually goes full tilt in all the cups.

I'd agree with him though, i don't understand why the League Cup needs to exist when we already have the FA Cup. It's built so lower leagues can't win it anyway, with the double legged semi-final. I know it's about making money which is why they care but as a spectator i couldn't care less.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 10:50 - Jan 21 with 3693 viewsJakeITFC

Tbf to Guardiola, they are odds on favourites to win this trophy for the third consecutive year so he clearly places some importance on it.

I agree with both sides of it really - they do play much football, but the proposed solutions (scrapping cup replays, getting rid of the league cup) feel just like lifting the ladder up on the small guys. A smaller fixture list with a more even distribution of money to the lower leagues feels like the compromise, but as always this would be an uneasy stopgap.
So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 11:00 - Jan 21 with 3661 viewsSikamikanico

The League Cup is an anomaly in European football as there is no real equivalent in Spain/Germany/Italy with this level of teams entering.

Maybe it would be an option to have teams that qualify for Europe not enter it? Or as it is the EFL Cup only teams from the three EFL leagues should enter.
So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 11:09 - Jan 21 with 3649 viewsitfcjoe

It does feel like a cup that doesn't really have a place any more - you just have to look at the teams lower league teams put out and the crowds that watch the games.

There are too many gamesfor the top teams because the CL is expanded, and no-one wants the Club World Cup at all, let alone in the summer which it is expanding and moving to (which now means the African nations has moved back to Jan/Feb next season).

Whilst it is all aout money, it isn't the clubs pushing for more games and more money, it is the Giverning bodies through their broadcast deals.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 11:14 - Jan 21 with 3623 viewsEdmundo

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 11:09 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

It does feel like a cup that doesn't really have a place any more - you just have to look at the teams lower league teams put out and the crowds that watch the games.

There are too many gamesfor the top teams because the CL is expanded, and no-one wants the Club World Cup at all, let alone in the summer which it is expanding and moving to (which now means the African nations has moved back to Jan/Feb next season).

Whilst it is all aout money, it isn't the clubs pushing for more games and more money, it is the Giverning bodies through their broadcast deals.

Take us back to th he 80s... Zenith Data Systems Cup. Those were the days!

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 11:15 - Jan 21 with 3626 viewsFtnfwest

Boot out the premier league teams (or at least the ones in europe) and replace competition with a reinvention of the anglo scottish cup. Regionalise it initially and have the final alternating between wembley and hampden.
So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 11:51 - Jan 21 with 3556 viewsJ2BLUE

The likes of him and Klopp are really starting to wind me up with this fixtures nonsense. Just STFU already.

IF the league cup was scrapped, and it does seem a little pointless now, I think there could be three new competitions for each of the football league leagues. Have a competition where the sixth play off spot is up for grabs. It could cause some really interesting events. Imagine a club who had an awful first half of the season who had won the first few games in this tournament and suddenly they have someone like MM come in and revitalise them. The damage is done though so they are doomed to third from bottom (narrowly) but he organises them to win this competition. We could see a Prem or League one all or nothing play off team.

We could see a third placed team lock in 6th spot and absolutely go full tilt to win every match. That would be entertaining.

8 groups of 3, home and away, top team goes through. Guarantees every club two competitive home cup games. Seven money spinners for the team that wins the competition. If that is too many fixtures then make it one off fixtures. One home game and one away game. The finals wouldn't need to take place at Wembley. Just pick a decent neutral football league ground for each final. Much more exciting than the league cup and season long consequences.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 11:57 - Jan 21 with 3532 viewsChrisd

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 09:59 - Jan 21 by Basuco

So the big clubs can go on money spinning worldwide tours and play more exhibition matches than they would if they continued the league program. It is not about resting players, it is making money.

Basuco, nail on the head hit!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 11:57 - Jan 21 with 3529 viewsGeoffSentence

I bet this is causing major consternation North of THE Border.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 12:06 - Jan 21 with 3504 viewsitfcjoe

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 11:51 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

The likes of him and Klopp are really starting to wind me up with this fixtures nonsense. Just STFU already.

IF the league cup was scrapped, and it does seem a little pointless now, I think there could be three new competitions for each of the football league leagues. Have a competition where the sixth play off spot is up for grabs. It could cause some really interesting events. Imagine a club who had an awful first half of the season who had won the first few games in this tournament and suddenly they have someone like MM come in and revitalise them. The damage is done though so they are doomed to third from bottom (narrowly) but he organises them to win this competition. We could see a Prem or League one all or nothing play off team.

We could see a third placed team lock in 6th spot and absolutely go full tilt to win every match. That would be entertaining.

8 groups of 3, home and away, top team goes through. Guarantees every club two competitive home cup games. Seven money spinners for the team that wins the competition. If that is too many fixtures then make it one off fixtures. One home game and one away game. The finals wouldn't need to take place at Wembley. Just pick a decent neutral football league ground for each final. Much more exciting than the league cup and season long consequences.

There are too many games for EFL teams already though, with the Trophy especially

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 12:10 - Jan 21 with 3479 viewsJ2BLUE

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 12:06 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

There are too many games for EFL teams already though, with the Trophy especially

Scrap it. It's tin pot.

I know the Prem teams wouldn't like it but why should we care about them? They don't care about us.

Truly impaired.

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 12:45 - Jan 21 with 3396 viewsitfcjoe

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 12:10 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

Scrap it. It's tin pot.

I know the Prem teams wouldn't like it but why should we care about them? They don't care about us.

Scrap it to bring in some competition to get a play off place?

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 13:28 - Jan 21 with 3302 viewsJ2BLUE

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 12:45 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

Scrap it to bring in some competition to get a play off place?

Only if the league cup is scrapped.

I wouldn't change it if the league cup continues.

Truly impaired.

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 13:37 - Jan 21 with 3285 viewsjonbull88

If he and Klopp are so concerned they should drop out of the champions league in protest. That competition should be made a tournament that it’s named for, CHAMPIONS. HAVE 8-10 teams in a small league or straight knock out.

The remaining 2-3 teams get to a Europe competition like the old uefa cup, straight knock out.

Totally fed up of managers moaning when squads have never been bigger.
So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 17:16 - Jan 21 with 3162 viewsazuremerlangus

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 11:00 - Jan 21 by Sikamikanico

The League Cup is an anomaly in European football as there is no real equivalent in Spain/Germany/Italy with this level of teams entering.

Maybe it would be an option to have teams that qualify for Europe not enter it? Or as it is the EFL Cup only teams from the three EFL leagues should enter.

Clue is in the name; League Cup - the Premier league broke away from the rest of the English Football League so they really shouldn't have been in it since 1992.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 17:17]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 18:35 - Jan 21 with 3100 viewspointofblue

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 13:37 - Jan 21 by jonbull88

If he and Klopp are so concerned they should drop out of the champions league in protest. That competition should be made a tournament that it’s named for, CHAMPIONS. HAVE 8-10 teams in a small league or straight knock out.

The remaining 2-3 teams get to a Europe competition like the old uefa cup, straight knock out.

Totally fed up of managers moaning when squads have never been bigger.

Was just about to say this - make the Champions League for champions only and perhaps turn it into a knockout competition to reduce fixtures. Scrap the Europa League and turn it into the Cup Winners Cup which does what it says on the tin.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 19:35 - Jan 21 with 3059 viewsbournemouthblue

So, Guardiola wants the League Cup scrapped on 10:46 - Jan 21 by JammyDodgerrr

To be fair to Pep, he usually goes full tilt in all the cups.

I'd agree with him though, i don't understand why the League Cup needs to exist when we already have the FA Cup. It's built so lower leagues can't win it anyway, with the double legged semi-final. I know it's about making money which is why they care but as a spectator i couldn't care less.

On the flipside, it's easier for a lower league team to make the latter stages simply because the bigger clubs only start to take it seriously from the Quarter Finals onwards

If we do ever make it back to the Prem and manage to stay there for any length of time, it's about our only hope of any silverware

The ceiling for a club like ours now would be a League Cup win and the odd season of Europa League

How depressing is that?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024