Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? 10:33 - Jan 21 with 3272 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm moving in with the GF - we've found a great flat and have started the referencing. My current estate agents/landlord are happy for me to swap someone for me on my current contract. The only issue is they have a policy of not giving a reference to the new estate agents/landlord until I find my replacement and they've gone through referencing themselves. But *I* can't get through *my* referencing without that reference.

So I'm kind of in catch-22. Getting a replacement and getting them through referencing is going to take a while - and the new landlord is getting nervous. Really worried we're going to lose our dream home and I'm not sure of a way around it.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 10:43 - Jan 21 with 3219 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I've never been through estate agent referencing, but would suggest;

Contact the MD of the agency if the desk jockey isn't playing ball.

Would a reference from an employer help in the interim? Or a previous estate agent?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 10:45 - Jan 21 with 3206 viewsGlasgowBlue

If they can’t find a replacement for you quite quickly, will you simply stay in your current flat until they do?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 10:58 - Jan 21 with 3180 viewsBrixtonBlue

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 10:45 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

If they can’t find a replacement for you quite quickly, will you simply stay in your current flat until they do?

It's up to me to find the replacement (although my current housemates will be vetting/looking too as they'll be the ones living with the new person). But yeah, I'll be staying until I'm replaced.

I have plenty of time to find someone (end of Feb) and have done it several times before. Just concerned we'll have lost the flat by the time I have. Just wondering if anyone's been in a similar situation, what they did, and what, perhaps, is the legal status. Are my current estate agents legally allowed to withhold a reference even though I've been a good tenant for 8.5 years, always paid my rent on time etc.

Whoever said moving is one of the most stressful things in life was right.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:00 - Jan 21 with 3173 viewsgordon

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 10:58 - Jan 21 by BrixtonBlue

It's up to me to find the replacement (although my current housemates will be vetting/looking too as they'll be the ones living with the new person). But yeah, I'll be staying until I'm replaced.

I have plenty of time to find someone (end of Feb) and have done it several times before. Just concerned we'll have lost the flat by the time I have. Just wondering if anyone's been in a similar situation, what they did, and what, perhaps, is the legal status. Are my current estate agents legally allowed to withhold a reference even though I've been a good tenant for 8.5 years, always paid my rent on time etc.

Surely you're just on a rolling monthly contract now, and aren't responsible for finding a replacement?
Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:05 - Jan 21 with 3158 viewsfooters

Any reason they won't accept a reference from the young lady while waiting on yours? Sure if you got the agents talking to each other they'd be able to hash it out. Normal people don't speak estate agent :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:05 - Jan 21 with 3156 viewsBrixtonBlue

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:00 - Jan 21 by gordon

Surely you're just on a rolling monthly contract now, and aren't responsible for finding a replacement?

No, I'm contracted until October. I'm just swapping someone onto the contract.

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:09 - Jan 21 with 3130 viewsuefacup81

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 10:58 - Jan 21 by BrixtonBlue

Problem is that they're under no obligation to provide you with a reference.

It's a tricky one and you'd hope that common sense and decency would prevail. Is your current agent an independent, or one of the bigger chains?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:24 - Jan 21 with 3083 viewsGlasgowBlue

I would imagine that the agents fear is if he/she gives you a reference now you may then decide to move out without a replacement being found.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:25 - Jan 21 with 3068 viewsBrixtonBlue

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:05 - Jan 21 by footers

Any reason they won't accept a reference from the young lady while waiting on yours? Sure if you got the agents talking to each other they'd be able to hash it out. Normal people don't speak estate agent :)

This would be simple and logical. But like you say, it's estate agents.

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:27 - Jan 21 with 3060 viewsBrixtonBlue

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:09 - Jan 21 by uefacup81

Problem is that they're under no obligation to provide you with a reference.

It's a tricky one and you'd hope that common sense and decency would prevail. Is your current agent an independent, or one of the bigger chains?

They're an independent - and normally pretty good (for estate agents).

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:30 - Jan 21 with 3045 viewsBrixtonBlue

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:24 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

I would imagine that the agents fear is if he/she gives you a reference now you may then decide to move out without a replacement being found.

Indeed. And I just had an idea while on the bog! Perhaps if I write and sign something to the effect that I will be liable for my rent until a replacement is found and has passed referencing, then they won't have that fear and will release the reference? Worth a shot.

UPDATE: I've called my current estate agent and in principle they're up for this idea. The office manager just has to check with the property manager (who writes the reference) if this will be acceptable, but they're out at the moment. Looks promising though.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 12:09]

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:30 - Jan 21 with 3041 viewsuefacup81

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:27 - Jan 21 by BrixtonBlue

They're an independent - and normally pretty good (for estate agents).

See if you can have a chat with someone higher up the chain, then, and reach some sort of compromise. Likewise, it may well be worth seeing if your prospective new agent can make some adjustments.

Problem is that your current agent are essentially doing you a favour in letting you out of your contract early. Given that they can't pass fees on to tenants any more, this will likely cost them to facilitate (unless they've asked you to foot the bill), so they may have no interest in making it as easy as possible for you.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 11:30]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:43 - Jan 21 with 2991 viewsgordon

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:05 - Jan 21 by BrixtonBlue

No, I'm contracted until October. I'm just swapping someone onto the contract.

What is the break clause in the tenancy agreement though?
Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:47 - Jan 21 with 2978 viewsSouperJim

Sub let to someone else? I.e. retain responsibility for your current contract, but also take on the second property. Find someone to take your place and reimburse you for the rent. Obviously you'd have to trust this person not to screw you over in the next 8 months.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 12:06 - Jan 21 with 2928 viewsBrixtonBlue

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:43 - Jan 21 by gordon

What is the break clause in the tenancy agreement though?

6 months - so slightly short of what I need.

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 12:07 - Jan 21 with 2926 viewsBrixtonBlue

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:47 - Jan 21 by SouperJim

Sub let to someone else? I.e. retain responsibility for your current contract, but also take on the second property. Find someone to take your place and reimburse you for the rent. Obviously you'd have to trust this person not to screw you over in the next 8 months.

Isn't sub letting illegal?

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 12:15 - Jan 21 with 2889 viewsfooters

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 12:07 - Jan 21 by BrixtonBlue

Isn't sub letting illegal?

Only if you get caught.

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 14:17 - Jan 21 with 2712 viewsfactual_blue

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 12:15 - Jan 21 by footers

Only if you get caught.

Same as murder then.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 14:18 - Jan 21 with 2711 viewsfooters

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 14:17 - Jan 21 by factual_blue

Same as murder then.

Just going by what my legal counsel, Schroedinger's, told me.

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 14:38 - Jan 21 with 2687 viewsGlasgowBlue

Estate agent referencing problem - anyone got an idea how I can get round this? on 11:30 - Jan 21 by BrixtonBlue

Indeed. And I just had an idea while on the bog! Perhaps if I write and sign something to the effect that I will be liable for my rent until a replacement is found and has passed referencing, then they won't have that fear and will release the reference? Worth a shot.

UPDATE: I've called my current estate agent and in principle they're up for this idea. The office manager just has to check with the property manager (who writes the reference) if this will be acceptable, but they're out at the moment. Looks promising though.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 12:09]

Fingers crossed.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024