Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon 13:35 - Jan 21 with 10072 viewstractordownsouth

I think it's likely to be a good thing as her voters are more likely to back Starmer or Nandy than RLB

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:37 - Jan 21 with 5303 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think she was going to get enough support, this opens the door up for Nandy to ensure she gets support from one of the Unions (GMB).

She'd have probably scraped enough CLP nominations but that's a lot of work if you know you aren't going anywhere when you do.

Might mean Thornberry sneaks over the line with enough nominations also

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:40 - Jan 21 with 5285 viewstractordownsouth

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:37 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

I don't think she was going to get enough support, this opens the door up for Nandy to ensure she gets support from one of the Unions (GMB).

She'd have probably scraped enough CLP nominations but that's a lot of work if you know you aren't going anywhere when you do.

Might mean Thornberry sneaks over the line with enough nominations also

Yep and again I think Thornberry is more likely to split the RLB vote. I'd still have Phillips in the Shadow Cabinet mind.

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:44 - Jan 21 with 5267 viewsJ2BLUE

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:40 - Jan 21 by tractordownsouth

Yep and again I think Thornberry is more likely to split the RLB vote. I'd still have Phillips in the Shadow Cabinet mind.

Thornberry comes across as if she has even less personality than Jo Swinson. If Labour appoint her or RLB then it's a minimum of a decade more of Tory rule.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:46 - Jan 21 with 5260 viewsGlasgowBlue

The campaign has shown her limitations and I got the feeling she had thrown the towel in yesterday with her Guardian article.

She’s a great campaigning constituency MP but not cabinet or leadership material. A junior ministerial role to do with equal rights would suit her perfectly.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:48 - Jan 21 with 5245 viewstractordownsouth

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:44 - Jan 21 by J2BLUE

Thornberry comes across as if she has even less personality than Jo Swinson. If Labour appoint her or RLB then it's a minimum of a decade more of Tory rule.

Thornberry's actually a very good speaker - she performed well in the Hustings and has made some good contributions in the HoC. But she has too much baggage with the white van man stuff, and her tone can come across as quite patronising - she wouldn't win.

She did say in the hustings that if she won and was a drag on the Labour ticket before a General Election she would resign as a Labour victory is more important than her own ambitions.

I won't be voting for her but she's gone up in my estimations since the campaign.

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:48 - Jan 21 with 5247 viewsitfcjoe

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:46 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

The campaign has shown her limitations and I got the feeling she had thrown the towel in yesterday with her Guardian article.

She’s a great campaigning constituency MP but not cabinet or leadership material. A junior ministerial role to do with equal rights would suit her perfectly.

That article was a bit of a car crash really, it sort of admitted that she doesn't know what leading a party is all about - it is cutting through the crap and delivering a message, it is bringing people along with you

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:56 - Jan 21 with 5191 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:48 - Jan 21 by tractordownsouth

Thornberry's actually a very good speaker - she performed well in the Hustings and has made some good contributions in the HoC. But she has too much baggage with the white van man stuff, and her tone can come across as quite patronising - she wouldn't win.

She did say in the hustings that if she won and was a drag on the Labour ticket before a General Election she would resign as a Labour victory is more important than her own ambitions.

I won't be voting for her but she's gone up in my estimations since the campaign.

Labour members need to understand that they don’t need to elect the next Prime Minister. They have to elect the next Neil Kinnock.

Somebody who has the guts to take on the hard left and get a labour bank into shape as an alternative government in ten years time.

That Person is Lisa Nandy imo.

Sir Kier Starmer doesn’t appear to have the will or the fight to take on the hard left and he’s not the man to get Labour’s northern voters back and RLB is continuity Corbyn.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 13:58]

Iron Lion Zion

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 14:00 - Jan 21 with 5170 viewsfactual_blue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:48 - Jan 21 by tractordownsouth

Lady Nugee.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 14:08 - Jan 21 with 5143 viewsitfcjoe

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:56 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

Labour members need to understand that they don’t need to elect the next Prime Minister. They have to elect the next Neil Kinnock.

Somebody who has the guts to take on the hard left and get a labour bank into shape as an alternative government in ten years time.

Sir Kier Starmer doesn’t appear to have the will or the fight to take on the hard left and he’s not the man to get Labour’s northern voters back and RLB is continuity Corbyn.

I don't think that is fair re Starmer, think he has to play his cards a bit closer to his chest because he was in the last shadow cabinet, even if he was basically sidelined for the whole GE campaign.

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 15:05 - Jan 21 with 5065 viewsitfcjoe

Confirmed now - and then there were 4

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 15:12 - Jan 21 with 5054 viewsMookamoo

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 15:05 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

Confirmed now - and then there were 4

Odds pretty much as they were this morning

Keir Starmer 1/3
Rebecca Long Bailey 3/1
Lisa Nandy 10/1
Emily Thornberry 50/1

Nandy was 8/1 earlier in week which suggests the Phillips support has gone to Starmer
Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 15:17 - Jan 21 with 5041 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:56 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

Starmer knows that the "hard left" doesn't need "taking on". Making the Labour party a true social democratic party with transformative policies is important for the country and thus the party that is going to represent that direction.

On a related note, I see that Gordon Brown gave a partial "mea culpa" for not doing enough at fixing structural problems in UK politics and the economy when the previous Labour government were in power:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51178628

""We have to give more power to people in the communities and in the localities and the regions. We have a far too over-centralised state based in one part of the country - an administrative, political and financial centre that excludes power from people out in the regions."

He said he regretted that in its 13 years in power, Labour had not done more to challenge regional disparities, saying its plans to devolve political and economic powers had been insufficient.

Mr Brown said there needed to be wholesale change to repair the "social contract" between individuals and the state - with a focus on quality jobs, improved public services and urban regeneration."

That's what you get from a bland, centrist government that doesn't push hard enough for what's right, but pushes for tabloid approval and electoral success instead and then doesn't have the conviction or the direction to change stuff. Going with the flow is a race to the bottom, as we've seen with our current government.

Pronouns: He/Him

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:03 - Jan 21 with 4970 viewshampstead_blue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 13:48 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

That article was a bit of a car crash really, it sort of admitted that she doesn't know what leading a party is all about - it is cutting through the crap and delivering a message, it is bringing people along with you

it's one huge step from back bench campaigning to leading a party and potentially Government.

She's too inexperienced and from what I've seen, lacks the intellectual horsepower.
Maybe in time.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:10 - Jan 21 with 4956 viewsitfcjoe

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:03 - Jan 21 by hampstead_blue

it's one huge step from back bench campaigning to leading a party and potentially Government.

She's too inexperienced and from what I've seen, lacks the intellectual horsepower.
Maybe in time.

There's not may other options because the shadow cabinet was nearly all Corbyn's cronies and a lot of the better politicians were on the back benches.

I don't think the comments re her intellect are fair

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:24 - Jan 21 with 4923 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:10 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

There's not may other options because the shadow cabinet was nearly all Corbyn's cronies and a lot of the better politicians were on the back benches.

I see that the GMB have endorsed Lisa Nandy. Game on!!

Iron Lion Zion

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:25 - Jan 21 with 4919 viewsGaryCooper

Was that not more John Smith?
Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:29 - Jan 21 with 4905 viewsitfcjoe

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:24 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

I see that the GMB have endorsed Lisa Nandy. Game on!!

That was to be expected - I wonder if Thornberry will get enough from the CLPs now

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:30 - Jan 21 with 4903 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:25 - Jan 21 by GaryCooper

Was that not more John Smith?

Kinnock took on the hard left first.

This is still one of the great political speeches.

The last five years has undone all of the hard work Kinnock started.

Iron Lion Zion

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 17:08 - Jan 21 with 4840 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:30 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

Kinnock took on the hard left first.

This is still one of the great political speeches.

The last five years has undone all of the hard work Kinnock started.

Thankfully, there's been more damage to the "hard right" of the Labour Party over the past few years and they've become distrusted, marginalised and left or been voted out. So I'm pretty happy with the candidates' knowing who they have to convince with their commitment to genuine social democratic policies.

I'm also looking forward to this silly "reds under the bed" stuff disappearing. Until the next election when I'm sure much will be made of Nandy's Indian Marxist academic father etc.

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 18:36 - Jan 21 with 4749 viewsGaryCooper

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 17:08 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

Thankfully, there's been more damage to the "hard right" of the Labour Party over the past few years and they've become distrusted, marginalised and left or been voted out. So I'm pretty happy with the candidates' knowing who they have to convince with their commitment to genuine social democratic policies.

I'm also looking forward to this silly "reds under the bed" stuff disappearing. Until the next election when I'm sure much will be made of Nandy's Indian Marxist academic father etc.

'Thankfully, there's been more damage to the "hard right" of the Labour Party over the past few years and they've become distrusted, marginalised and left or been voted out'

More damage to those on Universal Credit and such like I'd wager, all in great part to the left hijacking labour and being unable to get even close to landing a glove on the tories, still at least the electable hard right of the party are gone.
Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 19:06 - Jan 21 with 4711 viewshampstead_blue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 16:10 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

It's harsh I agree but....she's not got the depth and breadth of knowledge to lead the country.

She's done well but has a limit.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 19:19 - Jan 21 with 4689 viewsjas0999

RLB would be a disaster for Labour. The Tories dream candidate. Need a complete change, not someone who still shares Corbyns vision - which failed spectacularly. Shame Jess dropped out. A refreshing change, but sadly she is right - wouldn’t unite the whole Labour Party.
Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 19:27 - Jan 21 with 4680 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 18:36 - Jan 21 by GaryCooper

'Thankfully, there's been more damage to the "hard right" of the Labour Party over the past few years and they've become distrusted, marginalised and left or been voted out'

More damage to those on Universal Credit and such like I'd wager, all in great part to the left hijacking labour and being unable to get even close to landing a glove on the tories, still at least the electable hard right of the party are gone.

Thanks for that.

When you can blame Universal Credit on the people who were most against it, then you're really trying a bit too hard.

The "hard right" of Labour First, Progress, LFI etc of course did more to push the country towards the Tories than anyone else. They were an utter shower.

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 20:00 - Jan 21 with 4621 viewsitfcjoe

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 19:27 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

Thanks for that.

When you can blame Universal Credit on the people who were most against it, then you're really trying a bit too hard.

The "hard right" of Labour First, Progress, LFI etc of course did more to push the country towards the Tories than anyone else. They were an utter shower.

How do you square that circle? Those in charge of the party are responsible for this defeat and that Corbyn and his underlings

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 20:30 - Jan 21 with 4558 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 20:00 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

How do you square that circle? Those in charge of the party are responsible for this defeat and that Corbyn and his underlings

The leadership takes responsibility because it was on their watch.

The Labour right of the PLP aren't the mainstream Labour Party though and they've gone backwards over the past 5 years. Blair is now ranked by Labour members as one of the least popular leaders.

Despite that the the Labour right have been undermining the party and the membership almost throughout. They won't hold up their hands though but they've been even more of a faction and more divisive than Momentum who they've labelled as the cause of the disunity.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024