Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon 13:35 - Jan 21 with 10107 viewstractordownsouth

I think it's likely to be a good thing as her voters are more likely to back Starmer or Nandy than RLB

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 20:46 - Jan 21 with 1255 viewsitfcjoe

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 20:30 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

The leadership takes responsibility because it was on their watch.

The Labour right of the PLP aren't the mainstream Labour Party though and they've gone backwards over the past 5 years. Blair is now ranked by Labour members as one of the least popular leaders.

Despite that the the Labour right have been undermining the party and the membership almost throughout. They won't hold up their hands though but they've been even more of a faction and more divisive than Momentum who they've labelled as the cause of the disunity.

Corbyn is popular with the Labour members, not the electorate.

The fact that the biggest failure is top of that chart, and Blair is right down low shows the membership are the issue and out of touch

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:00 - Jan 21 with 1242 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 20:30 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

The leadership takes responsibility because it was on their watch.

The Labour right of the PLP aren't the mainstream Labour Party though and they've gone backwards over the past 5 years. Blair is now ranked by Labour members as one of the least popular leaders.

Despite that the the Labour right have been undermining the party and the membership almost throughout. They won't hold up their hands though but they've been even more of a faction and more divisive than Momentum who they've labelled as the cause of the disunity.

Ahahahahahahaha. Did you actually type that with a straight face?

Incredible you can’t read those numbers and realise where the problem lies

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:04 - Jan 21 with 1235 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A shame but whilst I like her I had reluctantly come to the conclusion that she wouldn’t stand a chance if chosen due to the way people would perceive her. Ultimately supporting her wouldn’t really be any different to the way Momentum propped up an obviously unelectable Corbyn

That said, in having the awareness and integrity to drop out showed why she should have been considered, and absolutely should be given a prominent role by whoever ends up as leader

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:06 - Jan 21 with 1230 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:00 - Jan 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Go on ... this should be interesting.

Pronouns: He/Him

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:10 - Jan 21 with 1219 viewsfooters

Sign up the most Blairite candidate, then the moderates will come flocking back.

Def info.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:13 - Jan 21 with 1210 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:06 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

Go on ... this should be interesting.

Already summarised perfectly by itfcjoe

Plus the results seem to be skewed pretty heavily by people who only discovered politics in 2015, seeing as Milliband is second and over a quarter don’t seem to know about anyone pre-Blair

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:14 - Jan 21 with 1204 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:00 - Jan 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Corbyn more favourable than Attlee. PMSL.

Another generation of opposition beckons. The daft fookers.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:17 - Jan 21 with 1199 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 20:46 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

Corbyn is popular with the Labour members, not the electorate.

The fact that the biggest failure is top of that chart, and Blair is right down low shows the membership are the issue and out of touch

They're not out of touch if you think the UK should be a fairer and indeed healthier and happier society. And you don't buy into the largely right-wing media narrative. Corbyn and his policies are standard fare across the European mainstream let alone within a supposedly left-wing party.

Also that Blair didn't do enough when elected. That's why Labour lost Scotland and was easily forgotten by the traditional voters.

Anyway, the leader will be elected by these people. Not some mythical "mainstream Labour" that's been promoted by others inside and outside the party who all lean to the right.

Login to get fewer ads

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:21 - Jan 21 with 1185 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:13 - Jan 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Plus the results seem to be skewed pretty heavily by people who only discovered politics in 2015, seeing as Milliband is second and over a quarter don’t seem to know about anyone pre-Blair

Is this what they meant by a kinder and gentler type of politics?

Iron Lion Zion

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:23 - Jan 21 with 1184 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:13 - Jan 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You clearly can't read the info there. Attlee, Wilson and Smith are all more popular when you take out those who say they don't know enough about them.

The key though is to see how unimpressed Labour members are with Blair overall and Corbyn overall. That's the current picture and indicates the direction of travel.

That's fair enough as per my answer to Joe.

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:53 - Jan 21 with 1138 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:23 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

You clearly can't read the info there. Attlee, Wilson and Smith are all more popular when you take out those who say they don't know enough about them.

The key though is to see how unimpressed Labour members are with Blair overall and Corbyn overall. That's the current picture and indicates the direction of travel.

The direction of travel is the worst general election result since 1935 and most probably another ten years in opposition you numpty.

Iron Lion Zion

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:07 - Jan 21 with 1120 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:53 - Jan 21 by GlasgowBlue

The direction of travel is the worst general election result since 1935 and most probably another ten years in opposition you numpty.

I like how an ex-Brexiteer and "ex-Tory", LibDem voter is still trying to tell me what I'm missing.

Let's see which direction of travel brings the social, economic and environmental outcomes the world and the UK needs. I understand people's reluctance to see what is staring them in the face but living with the actual consequences will probably create a shift by the next election.

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:14 - Jan 21 with 1098 viewslowhouseblue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:07 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

I like how an ex-Brexiteer and "ex-Tory", LibDem voter is still trying to tell me what I'm missing.

Let's see which direction of travel brings the social, economic and environmental outcomes the world and the UK needs. I understand people's reluctance to see what is staring them in the face but living with the actual consequences will probably create a shift by the next election.

let's see which direction of travel brings a huge tory majority. oh, hold on, we have already.

"living with the actual consequences will probably create a shift by the next election." how blind can you be?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:17 - Jan 21 with 1093 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 21:23 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

I haven’t misread the data at all, a higher percentage of people responded favourably for Milliband than anyone else bar Corbyn. That people don’t know who the older options are is exactly the point I’m making - a bulk of respondents are not long term Labour members

The fact that this has been the direction of travel, and may well continue to be, is exactly the concern, as it’s been proven to be completely out of touch with the wider electorate

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:20 - Jan 21 with 1084 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:07 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

Well it certainly wasn’t the Corbyn direction of travel, was it?

Head in the sand

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:44 - Jan 21 with 1054 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:14 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

let's see which direction of travel brings a huge tory majority. oh, hold on, we have already.

"living with the actual consequences will probably create a shift by the next election." how blind can you be?

I know you don't get it. You haven't got much of the past 20-odd years if you think that the answer is still trying to buy votes rather than having a party pushing for a genuine change in the UK and showing the way.

It's why UK politics is so pathetically short-term and self-serving.

As I've said before, the big job isn't to convince the electorate who already largely agree with those policies and values but the establishment of media and political parties who stand in the way because it's not in their narrow interests.

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:52 - Jan 21 with 1043 viewslowhouseblue

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:44 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

I know you don't get it. You haven't got much of the past 20-odd years if you think that the answer is still trying to buy votes rather than having a party pushing for a genuine change in the UK and showing the way.

It's why UK politics is so pathetically short-term and self-serving.

As I've said before, the big job isn't to convince the electorate who already largely agree with those policies and values but the establishment of media and political parties who stand in the way because it's not in their narrow interests.

what a lot of delusional nonsense. your determination to shut your eyes to the wreckage of the corbyn farce is pathological. people like you have given us all another 5 years of the tories and if you have it your own way it'll certainly be another 20 more. the only thing the hard left in the uk has ever achieved is the election of tory governments.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:54 - Jan 21 with 1043 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:20 - Jan 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Well it certainly wasn’t the Corbyn direction of travel, was it?

Head in the sand

A) we're talking about the Labour Party members who won't reject Corbynism but will reject Blairism. For a left-wing party that's only right, for a bland centrist party I can see why people think that's madness.

B) I know you need to win elections but politics is ultimately about representative government and providing the best choice and doing the best job. You wouldn't know it from UK political debate though. Sounds like we're talking about Love Island. Or Hate Island, I suppose.

C) That direction of travel isn't wrong if it's ultimately right. I haven't seen anything from consecutive Tory governments to suggest that they even know where they're going now. I think they're just focused on getting into and staying in power with the results that type of mentality brings.

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 23:10 - Jan 21 with 1021 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 22:52 - Jan 21 by lowhouseblue

what a lot of delusional nonsense. your determination to shut your eyes to the wreckage of the corbyn farce is pathological. people like you have given us all another 5 years of the tories and if you have it your own way it'll certainly be another 20 more. the only thing the hard left in the uk has ever achieved is the election of tory governments.

You're seriously out of step with left-wing politics (even centre-left) as if you never really understood it. You come across like one of the thick Tories who get everything from the Mail.

Remind me again why you lost in 2010 and 2015 and were thrown out of Scotland along the way. The hard left's fault? Or your fairly empty politics that people just weren't buying anymore? What did you personally learn from that?

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 08:08 - Jan 22 with 939 viewsBloomBlue

She'll get another chance before the next General election. Whoever wins this time is basically going to be a dummy same as when Hague was leader of the Tories and Blair had a large majority. Hague actually had some good ideas and tried to hold Blair to account but its irrelevant when the party in power have such a large majority. In a 5 year period it's almost impossible to feck anything up that dramatically, unless you do what Blair did and send us to war off a lie and killed British soldiers.
What will happen in Labour is the same as happened with the Tories, not really being able to make any change in paraliament they will start infighting again, I give the new Labour leader 3 years max before 1) another leadership campaign or 2) Labour splits between the extreme far left and the not so extreme far left
Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 08:17 - Jan 22 with 928 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 08:08 - Jan 22 by BloomBlue

She'll get another chance before the next General election. Whoever wins this time is basically going to be a dummy same as when Hague was leader of the Tories and Blair had a large majority. Hague actually had some good ideas and tried to hold Blair to account but its irrelevant when the party in power have such a large majority. In a 5 year period it's almost impossible to feck anything up that dramatically, unless you do what Blair did and send us to war off a lie and killed British soldiers.
What will happen in Labour is the same as happened with the Tories, not really being able to make any change in paraliament they will start infighting again, I give the new Labour leader 3 years max before 1) another leadership campaign or 2) Labour splits between the extreme far left and the not so extreme far left

"In a 5 year period it's almost impossible to feck anything up that dramatically"

One word: Brexit.

Here's a few other things on top of that: devolved parliaments and citizens who are inexorably distancing themselves from the Union, poverty, housing, inequality, NHS, immigration, low UK productivity, global slow down/recession, terrorism, the environment ...

Our government has and will continue to feck this stuff up with Brexit as the cherry on top.

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 08:25 - Jan 22 with 918 viewsitfcjoe

People were saying this before the last election, that 9 years of the Tories and people seeing the effect they have will change things - and they delivered a stonking majority.

You may hate the centre, but elections are won from there - and a centre left is the only 'left' Government that will ever win.

All the path that Corbyn is on will take us to is more and more years of the Tories, they probably have the next 10 sorted due to the last election.

Labour need to be electable to make changes - give me Sure Start centres and money spent on early years development, education and the health service please. Rather than a fantasy left wing world which achieves absolutely nothing bar 'winning the argument' and thinking they are right.

It's why I've joined the Labour party, to try and drag it back to somewhere electable

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 08:26 - Jan 22 with 914 viewsitfcjoe

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 08:17 - Jan 22 by Darth_Koont

"In a 5 year period it's almost impossible to feck anything up that dramatically"

One word: Brexit.

Here's a few other things on top of that: devolved parliaments and citizens who are inexorably distancing themselves from the Union, poverty, housing, inequality, NHS, immigration, low UK productivity, global slow down/recession, terrorism, the environment ...

Our government has and will continue to feck this stuff up with Brexit as the cherry on top.

And they increased their majority - look at the evidence in front of your eyes

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 08:36 - Jan 22 with 902 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 08:25 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

People were saying this before the last election, that 9 years of the Tories and people seeing the effect they have will change things - and they delivered a stonking majority.

You may hate the centre, but elections are won from there - and a centre left is the only 'left' Government that will ever win.

All the path that Corbyn is on will take us to is more and more years of the Tories, they probably have the next 10 sorted due to the last election.

Labour need to be electable to make changes - give me Sure Start centres and money spent on early years development, education and the health service please. Rather than a fantasy left wing world which achieves absolutely nothing bar 'winning the argument' and thinking they are right.

It's why I've joined the Labour party, to try and drag it back to somewhere electable

Good for you.

I only started voting Labour in 2017 because I thought they were doing something relevant for the country and the issues it faces. As well as taking a leaf out of our more successful, healthier and happier Northern European neighbours for once by realising that socialist values are a vital part of the mix.

Burying our heads in the centre (but actually right of centre in an objective sense) brought us to where we are today with Brexit and an utterly feckless, uncaring government. We need a fairly radical shift in the discussion to come back from that.

On a connected note, here's a UK government looking to get ahead of the global curve, rather than lagging behind:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51200821

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 08:50 - Jan 22 with 887 viewsDarth_Koont

Jess Phillips expected to drop out of the race this afternoon on 08:26 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

And they increased their majority - look at the evidence in front of your eyes

Indeed. There's a battle to shift the discussion towards these issues and away from the empty brand politics and populist nonsense that have dominated so far. Aided and abetted by an awful media.

The Labour Party have the goal of electing a leader who can survive that while actually promoting relevant policies.

And no offence, but I've been talking about this stuff for years, particularly with regard to Scotland and the other regions in the UK, not to mention Brexit. The evidence has been in front of all our eyes even during New Labour yet we've ended up here. So who's missing the point?

Labour needs to get to grips with the political discussion and change it, not just play along and perpetuate the same problems.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024