Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So that veterans railcard.... 18:15 - Jan 22 with 4428 viewsnoggin

The one that the tories announced before the election... It'll cost 30 quid a year. Not really the gift it was made out to be is it?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

So that veterans railcard.... on 18:22 - Jan 22 with 3935 viewsazuremerlangus

TBF free railcards are very much a thing of the past. It must be 20 + years since the HM forces version has been free.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

So that veterans railcard.... on 18:36 - Jan 22 with 3874 viewsmonytowbray

DW, I’ve made up the difference to the rail network’s attempt at a profit for a few vets.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

So that veterans railcard.... on 18:48 - Jan 22 with 3857 viewsjeera

"Up to a 3rd off most rail tickets".

Feck me, that's not remotely what was said before.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

So that veterans railcard.... on 18:58 - Jan 22 with 3827 viewsHARRY10

So that veterans railcard.... on 18:48 - Jan 22 by jeera

An election promise from Johnson turns out to be a lie....whatever next I hear you ask.
So that veterans railcard.... on 18:59 - Jan 22 with 3822 viewsnoggin

So that veterans railcard.... on 18:22 - Jan 22 by azuremerlangus

TBF free railcards are very much a thing of the past. It must be 20 + years since the HM forces version has been free.

It was free when I served. Do serving soldiers pay annually for their card now?

So that veterans railcard.... on 19:08 - Jan 22 with 3798 viewsazuremerlangus

So that veterans railcard.... on 18:59 - Jan 22 by noggin

It was free when I served. Do serving soldiers pay annually for their card now?

Yes, crept up from an initial £2 “admin charge” to £20 odd.

So that veterans railcard.... on 19:17 - Jan 22 with 3745 viewshampstead_blue

You can make back the upfront cost in one journey!

I get a variant and use it all the time. Save loads.

Stop splitting hairs and enjoy it....Oh, you're in Norway....never mind. When you come back you can.

Edit; If it's the same as mine you can get the same discount for one person travelling with you.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 19:18]

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

So that veterans railcard.... on 19:22 - Jan 22 with 3745 viewsjeera

So that veterans railcard.... on 18:58 - Jan 22 by HARRY10

An election promise from Johnson turns out to be a lie....whatever next I hear you ask.

I, for one, can barely believe it.

Login to get fewer ads

So that veterans railcard.... on 19:25 - Jan 22 with 3736 viewsnoggin

So that veterans railcard.... on 19:08 - Jan 22 by azuremerlangus

Yes, crept up from an initial £2 “admin charge” to £20 odd.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that when I first joined up, the railcard gave 66% off fairs.

So that veterans railcard.... on 19:39 - Jan 22 with 3674 viewsGlasgowBlue

So that veterans railcard.... on 19:25 - Jan 22 by noggin

In fact, I'm pretty certain that when I first joined up, the railcard gave 66% off fairs.

Really? All of the rides at the fair? Or just the crap ones like the big wheel and hall of mirrors?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So that veterans railcard.... on 20:05 - Jan 22 with 3653 viewsazuremerlangus

So that veterans railcard.... on 19:25 - Jan 22 by noggin

Not sure of the exact percentage discount back then but it isn’t as generous as it used to be.

So that veterans railcard.... on 20:11 - Jan 22 with 3638 viewsWD19

So that veterans railcard.... on 18:48 - Jan 22 by jeera

"All veterans and their families will be eligible to a third off the cost of train travel, under a new Conservative election pledge."

Under the plans all 2.3 million former members of the armed forces in the UK will receive the discount in order to help them “make the most of the opportunities available after their service”.

Announcing the plan on Remembrance Sunday, Transport Minister Grant Shapps said cheaper fares would offer “support” to veterans who don’t already qualify for senior or disabled people's railcards.

November 2019.
So that veterans railcard.... on 20:29 - Jan 22 with 3613 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Except that it is actually exactly what they promised. Below is from November announcing the policy - confirming it will be charged as per the existing service personnel card and provide a third off fares

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7668785/amp/Tori

I’m assuming the ‘most’ bit is standard T&C’s for a railcard but happy to have egg on my face if it subsequently turns out to be more limited than the existing ones, I can’t see any reason it would be

There’s plenty to bash the Tories for without having to make stuff up

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So that veterans railcard.... on 20:44 - Jan 22 with 3569 viewsjeera

So that veterans railcard.... on 20:29 - Jan 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Except that it is actually exactly what they promised. Below is from November announcing the policy - confirming it will be charged as per the existing service personnel card and provide a third off fares

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7668785/amp/Tori

I’m assuming the ‘most’ bit is standard T&C’s for a railcard but happy to have egg on my face if it subsequently turns out to be more limited than the existing ones, I can’t see any reason it would be

There’s plenty to bash the Tories for without having to make stuff up

The problem with this is it was lauded as being free when it was announced on here.

I suppose there are others who, like me, took the posts at their word.

As the claim was so steadfastly made and then backed up with pages of arguments, it's not unfair to have expected the OP to have done his own homework.

*If I have that wrong then I hold my hands up in advance, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Edit: to add my tuppence to this subject, I don't know what discounts serving personnel get, but I hope it's significant. Train fares are horrendous and lads who are currently serving far from home should not be paying inflated fares to pop home to visit loved ones when they get a break. A decent discount for serving personnel makes perfect sense, not to make gimmicky offers to those who may not need it.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 21:21]

So that veterans railcard.... on 21:59 - Jan 22 with 3480 viewsRocky

So that veterans railcard.... on 19:39 - Jan 22 by GlasgowBlue

Really? All of the rides at the fair? Or just the crap ones like the big wheel and hall of mirrors?

Oh, you are awful.......
So that veterans railcard.... on 22:13 - Jan 22 with 3458 viewsbrazil1982

It's not thought, is it? You should check your facts.
So that veterans railcard.... on 22:18 - Jan 22 with 3448 viewsjeera

So that veterans railcard.... on 22:13 - Jan 22 by brazil1982

It's not thought, is it? You should check your facts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51160219

So that veterans railcard.... on 01:58 - Jan 23 with 3353 viewsjeera

So that veterans railcard.... on 20:11 - Jan 22 by WD19

"All veterans and their families will be eligible to a third off the cost of train travel, under a new Conservative election pledge."

Under the plans all 2.3 million former members of the armed forces in the UK will receive the discount in order to help them “make the most of the opportunities available after their service”.

Announcing the plan on Remembrance Sunday, Transport Minister Grant Shapps said cheaper fares would offer “support” to veterans who don’t already qualify for senior or disabled people's railcards.

November 2019.

Brilliant. Looking after our lads innit.

A 3rd off, using a card which has to be bought up front.

What use is that?

So that veterans railcard.... on 08:02 - Jan 23 with 3248 viewsbrazil1982

So that veterans railcard.... on 01:58 - Jan 23 by jeera

What use is that?

It's the same price as the senior rail card. You could make that £30 back in one journey. So, it is of use
So that veterans railcard.... on 08:48 - Jan 23 with 3202 viewsmonytowbray

What use is that?

In fairness it’s how all railcards work and always have since I was 18 at least. I got my young person’s railcard free with my bank when I opened an account for uni but they were alway around £30. This was 2005 too, well before the current regime of ineptness and selfishness was voted in.

You all know I can’t stand the Tories and regularly point out their scummy faults, but there’s nothing to really call them out on this one.

The real issue is why a load of private companies (and in some cases governments), ironically many based in the EU, are profiting considerably off our basic need to travel. And why we have a whole arm of the police employed on tax payer’s money to help enforce their largely exploitive fees on a network that is years behind other parts of the developed world.

TWTD never forgets…

So that veterans railcard.... on 09:00 - Jan 23 with 3179 viewsWD19

What use is that?

I have absolutely no idea/interest, but it is pretty much exactly what was promised.
So that veterans railcard.... on 12:07 - Jan 23 with 3086 viewsVaughan8

This was taken from a news article:-

"Transport secretary Grant Shapps said up to 700,000 former members of the armed forces will be able to buy a railcard to get a third off train travel, if the Conservatives win the election. The existing railcard, which costs £21 a year, only applies to serving members of the armed forces."

Not sure what the problem is except its £30 instead of £21?

Some people are on here just to moan about the most pointless things and are so pro labour its embarrassing!

Even if it wasn't what was said, its hardly a shock that the parties promise things and change it is it? haha
So that veterans railcard.... on 12:09 - Jan 23 with 3070 viewsnoggin

So that veterans railcard.... on 12:07 - Jan 23 by Vaughan8

"Transport secretary Grant Shapps said up to 700,000 former members of the armed forces will be able to buy a railcard to get a third off train travel, if the Conservatives win the election. The existing railcard, which costs £21 a year, only applies to serving members of the armed forces."

Some people are on here just to moan about the most pointless things and are so pro labour its embarrassing!

Even if it wasn't what was said, its hardly a shock that the parties promise things and change it is it? haha

Who mentioned Labour?

So that veterans railcard.... on 12:18 - Jan 23 with 3048 viewsusm

How is that a lie?

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

So that veterans railcard.... on 12:23 - Jan 23 with 3030 viewsmonytowbray

So that veterans railcard.... on 12:07 - Jan 23 by Vaughan8

Not everyone who is anti-Tory is pro-Labour. You don't have to vote Labour to have a heart and human decency. Unfortunately those two words cannot be applied to anyone who votes Tory. There's no amount of good in the world you can do to offset allowing that sh1tshow to dictate the lives of some of the most vulnerable and in-need in this country.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024