Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, 09:32 - Jan 23 with 5132 viewsGuthrum

that she should go to college and study economics before talking about divestment from fossil fuels, really cuts to the heart of the problem.

On the one side we have people who consider jobs and economic growth above environmental protection, on the other those who are more concerned about securing the future of the planet than mundane economics. Until the one can somehow be linked to the other (which you would have thought should be possible, given the economic effects of climate change), there is no common ground.

Currently the former group are in the positions of power, so the climate activists are on the back foot. Tho the ground is shifting as financial institutions change the emphasis of their investments.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 19:59 - Jan 23 with 2131 viewsLeoMuff

They are all at it today Mnuchin, Ivanka and Trumpy wumpy all to various degrees criticising GT, they are desperate.....

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 20:20 - Jan 23 with 2109 viewsDarth_Koont

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 19:57 - Jan 23 by vapour_trail

There really is no point in bothering with the droid.

It has malfunctioned. It needs melting down (in a carbon neutral fashion).

Good call.

He has none of the charm and intelligence of the real R2D2. And that's just a whistling drum.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 20:21 - Jan 23 with 2108 viewsvapour_trail

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 20:20 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

Good call.

He has none of the charm and intelligence of the real R2D2. And that's just a whistling drum.

This is not the droid you are looking for.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 20:23 - Jan 23 with 2098 viewsDarth_Koont

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 20:21 - Jan 23 by vapour_trail

Stop that. Far too good.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 09:01 - Jan 24 with 2032 viewsr2d2

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 19:32 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

She has Asperger's.

It's the message, not how it's delivered. Although a teenage girl with Asperger's is what it has taken.

I knew she had Aspergers, that aside the powerful suits arnt going to listen to her. She isnt commanding enough, the like of Putin, Trump etc dont like to be told at the best of times. They dismiss her because she just hasnt the presence.
Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 09:03 - Jan 24 with 2032 viewsr2d2

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 20:21 - Jan 23 by vapour_trail

WE will be back and in GREATER numbers.
Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 09:39 - Jan 24 with 2010 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 13:21 - Jan 23 by factual_blue

How many times a day do people call him 'Munchkin', despite repeatedly saying to themselves 'don't call him Munchkin, don't call him Munchkin...'?

I don't think I've ever called him 'munchkin', even inadvertently, but there are many times I've called him 'tw@t'.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 09:52 - Jan 24 with 1993 viewshampstead_blue

Do you not think he is encouraging her to learn 'how' to view things in a more ordered and understood manner?

She is at present simply on repeat. Same old, same old....Ok it's important, but have some ideas. Don't just throw bricks!

More time should be given to entrepreneurs who are developing ideas and not Greta. R4 spoke about two things this morning. Seaweed and how that is an amazing thing and can be used to great good but also a young chap who is developing a system to remove micro plastic from the oceans.

I'd rather hear from them that Greta all the time.

Sorry, but her lack of depth has been called out. She is a force for good but.....Let's hear from those creating ideas please.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 10:18 - Jan 24 with 1988 viewsBLUEGOLD

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 09:52 - Jan 24 by hampstead_blue

Do you not think he is encouraging her to learn 'how' to view things in a more ordered and understood manner?

She is at present simply on repeat. Same old, same old....Ok it's important, but have some ideas. Don't just throw bricks!

More time should be given to entrepreneurs who are developing ideas and not Greta. R4 spoke about two things this morning. Seaweed and how that is an amazing thing and can be used to great good but also a young chap who is developing a system to remove micro plastic from the oceans.

Sorry, but her lack of depth has been called out. She is a force for good but.....Let's hear from those creating ideas please.

As opposed to Trump who denies that climate change is real.

Get a grip man
Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 11:03 - Jan 24 with 1951 viewshampstead_blue

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 10:18 - Jan 24 by BLUEGOLD

As opposed to Trump who denies that climate change is real.

Get a grip man

I've not commented on Trump just GT and her need to develop her argument.

She has to do more than just rinse and repeat to retain any credibility. Do you think she will get invited back to any of the huge event's she's spoken at just to repeat herself?

She's got to develop the argument and as the chap said, learn.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 11:08 - Jan 24 with 1952 viewschicoazul

I'll be impressed when she goes to the National People's Congress and tears the Chairman's rissole out on state TV.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 11:12 - Jan 24 with 1931 viewslowhouseblue

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 11:03 - Jan 24 by hampstead_blue

I've not commented on Trump just GT and her need to develop her argument.

She has to do more than just rinse and repeat to retain any credibility. Do you think she will get invited back to any of the huge event's she's spoken at just to repeat herself?

She's got to develop the argument and as the chap said, learn.

it's not really her job to develop an argument. she is a meme in human form, all be it an important one, who encapsulates urgency and emotion. thinking, ideas, arguments need to come from somewhere else.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 11:15 - Jan 24 with 1920 viewshampstead_blue

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 11:12 - Jan 24 by lowhouseblue

it's not really her job to develop an argument. she is a meme in human form, all be it an important one, who encapsulates urgency and emotion. thinking, ideas, arguments need to come from somewhere else.

Fair point but if I had created an amazing idea to reduce pollution etc and she got all the praise and funding for repeating the same speech, I'd get properly hacked off.

I understand she is a meme, well said, but it's got a short shelf life if she can't develop her message.

Just shouting at people is boring. And no, I'm not belittling the topic at all.

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 11:48 - Jan 24 with 1895 viewsRyorry

"Until the one can somehow be linked to the other (which you would have thought should be possible, given the economic effects of climate change) ..."

Doesn't take a vast number of braincells to do that - when I studied the Technology Foundaton course with the OU back in 1994, one of its central tenets was that new technology depends as much on whether it's economically viable as the actual tech spec itself for its development into production.

Even Trump & other naysayers must surely have enough braincells to know that - surely ...??!! It's very obvious to all of us that there are squillions to be made from developing renewables - esp wave & tidal power for the UK & other countries with extensive coastlines which imho are sadly underfunded & under-developed.

So why do they ignore it? Only reason I can come up with is vested interests. Australia, USA, China etc are still so entrenched economically with fossil fuels that they're not prepared to take a long-term view. In the case of the UK, corruption & accumulation of personal wealth have also been the driving force - pretty much all of David Cameron's cabinet had shares & influence in the fossil fuels industries, and/or the financial institutions supporting those, hence the "dash for gas" fracking licences, and any local councils opposing the award of such licences being overturned by central government. Scandalous.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 13:32 - Jan 24 with 1848 viewsTJS

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 09:52 - Jan 24 by hampstead_blue

Climate activists need to be clear on 3 things;
1 What should the government ban and who is going to enforce it
2 What should the government tax and who is going to pay for it
3 What should the government subsidise and who is going to get it
And until you can get the USA and China on board it's not really going to make any difference anyway.
Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 14:20 - Jan 24 with 1826 viewsWeWereZombies

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 13:32 - Jan 24 by TJS

And until you can get the USA and China on board it's not really going to make any difference anyway.

Your analysis (to give you the benefit of the doubt linguistically) fails to acknowledge the largest, geographically, nation state of all. They believe they will be net beneficiaries of climate change. We may already have moved into the next phase where military strength will determine what action is taken.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 14:30 - Jan 24 with 1810 viewsm14_blue

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 13:32 - Jan 24 by TJS

Eh?

How on earth is it the job of a 17 year old girl to tell governments how to solve the issue???

She's trying to raise awareness and move it up the political agenda, and I'd say she's doing a bloody good job.
Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 09:31 - Jan 25 with 1729 viewsmanchego

Telling Thunberg to go and study economics is just patronising guff.
Does he think she will change her views on the climate if she does so ?
I studied economics and can confidently state that destroying the planet is bad for the economy.
Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 09:35 - Jan 25 with 1726 viewsBackToRussia

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 09:31 - Jan 25 by manchego

Telling Thunberg to go and study economics is just patronising guff.
Does he think she will change her views on the climate if she does so ?
I studied economics and can confidently state that destroying the planet is bad for the economy.

Capitalism could function on a dead uninhabited planet, as long as it had some robots to produce and consume.

Some of these economists probably hope that happens. Vampires.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 18:00 - Jan 25 with 1672 viewsr2d2

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, on 14:30 - Jan 24 by m14_blue

Eh?

How on earth is it the job of a 17 year old girl to tell governments how to solve the issue???

She's trying to raise awareness and move it up the political agenda, and I'd say she's doing a bloody good job.

She doesnt even look 17. Thats half the trouble. She has no presence. She looks about 10. She commands no respect from these suits because she just doesnt have the back bone. And until you can get the USA, China and India on side what really is the point in us doing anything? We only account for 1.1% of the climate problem. That equivalent to about one grain of rice compared to the rest of the world.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024