Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. 12:28 - Jan 23 with 27661 viewsmonytowbray

Is why many feel the need to assume what they think is patriotic or the opinion of the masses? Farage I regularly used to see referred as the man of the people. Tommy Robinson and Hopkins are regularly said to "just be saying what everyone's thinking" by the same folk.

Why do they feel the need to project their lack of values on everyone or claim it's the British thing to do? These people are far from a "majority", let alone a "silent" one if you spend 5 minutes reading the rubbish spouted on social media.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone equate a leftist idea as patriotic or something everyone believes deep down because to do so with any idea is nonsense, even if in the actual majority. I don't believe banning hunting is the British thing to do or something everyone thinks for example, even though you'd hard pressed to find many people who are pro-hunting next to the masses of people against it.

Eurgh.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:29 - Jan 23 with 5731 viewsSuperblue95

Gwion Edwards hasn’t been great either

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:30 - Jan 23 with 5730 viewsPJH

On seeing the headline I thought that this was another 'why Edwards should not be in the team' thread.
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:30 - Jan 23 with 5717 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:30 - Jan 23 by PJH

On seeing the headline I thought that this was another 'why Edwards should not be in the team' thread.

Nah Edwards can be frustrating at times but TBH I'm not sure what better options we have right now.

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:31 - Jan 23 with 5710 viewsPJH

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:29 - Jan 23 by Superblue95

Gwion Edwards hasn’t been great either

Your post was shorter so it arrived quicker.

Maybe if Edwards was shorter his tackles would be more on time.
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:33 - Jan 23 with 5694 viewsBackToRussia

It's because they're not. Farage was born into the elite. People like Hopkins and Robinson are now waged performers. They are not of the people and so to maintain the ruse this must be trumpeted above else.

And of course, any leftist is an out of touch elite. Despite most leftists being actually working class.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:41 - Jan 23 with 5653 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:33 - Jan 23 by BackToRussia

It's because they're not. Farage was born into the elite. People like Hopkins and Robinson are now waged performers. They are not of the people and so to maintain the ruse this must be trumpeted above else.

And of course, any leftist is an out of touch elite. Despite most leftists being actually working class.

Preaching to the choir there, I'm more interested in the opinions of the board's right wingers to be honest. Although I doubt I'll get much sense in terms of an answer.

It's funny how most educated people are usually left wing too. Bloody teachers and students and doctors and professors. How dare they use their intelligence to form a political opinion.

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:43 - Jan 23 with 5645 viewsDarth_Koont

The idea of the NHS is patriotic but that seems to be the exception that proves the rule. The, at heart, very similar social security net is more likely to be seen as an embarrassment and costing too much.

So what is patriotic is probably more defined by what people themselves use rather than what the nation as a whole needs.

Pronouns: He/Him

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:51 - Jan 23 with 5576 viewsPinewoodblue

It is more that they have different values to you that annoys you.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:53 - Jan 23 with 5566 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:51 - Jan 23 by Pinewoodblue

No, it’s annoying when people use nationality or generalisations to imply I have the same views as them.

Very different.

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:54 - Jan 23 with 5564 viewsJ2BLUE

I've said it repeatedly, IMO most people are more right wing than they admit in public.

I could reverse your question. Why do many on the liberal left think they are 100% right and any other views are down to a lack of intelligence?

I'm not disagreeing with your post, just saying both sides are guilty of many of the same things but most will deny it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:54 - Jan 23 with 5559 viewsBackToRussia

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:51 - Jan 23 by Pinewoodblue

The value of being a racist and earning money from being a racist?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:57 - Jan 23 with 5535 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:54 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

I've said it repeatedly, IMO most people are more right wing than they admit in public.

I could reverse your question. Why do many on the liberal left think they are 100% right and any other views are down to a lack of intelligence?

I'm not disagreeing with your post, just saying both sides are guilty of many of the same things but most will deny it.

Intelligence not always, compassion usually. There are many logical and intelligent right wing views, usually financial and a bit selfish.

Many of the right wingers on here rarely put over a well-informed or researched opinion.

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:59 - Jan 23 with 5519 viewsJ2BLUE

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:57 - Jan 23 by monytowbray

Intelligence not always, compassion usually. There are many logical and intelligent right wing views, usually financial and a bit selfish.

Many of the right wingers on here rarely put over a well-informed or researched opinion.

Possibly. I maintain that many people talk a good game but when it comes time to vote they put the cross in the box that will be best for them personally.

Truly impaired.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:01 - Jan 23 with 5509 viewsDarth_Koont

More that it's an outdated notion. Local pride I can understand as it's about community and identity. Similarly, minority pride that defends the rights of you and others like you.

National pride, beyond enjoying a sporting event, makes less and less sense in a modern world where cultures aren't homogenous at all. It's not bad in itself but it does frequently get in the way of acceptance of others, regional and local interests and cross-border cooperation which are all ultimately far more important concerns. So if ideas of nation and patriotism were always about serving those purposes then it would be great.

Pronouns: He/Him

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:02 - Jan 23 with 5505 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:41 - Jan 23 by monytowbray

Preaching to the choir there, I'm more interested in the opinions of the board's right wingers to be honest. Although I doubt I'll get much sense in terms of an answer.

It's funny how most educated people are usually left wing too. Bloody teachers and students and doctors and professors. How dare they use their intelligence to form a political opinion.

As someone who considers himself fairly conservative, the three aforementioned people in no way resonate with me. I also think I,m fairly well educated thank you very much. This also depends really on what your definition of “Right Wing” is. It is reasonable to assume that a great many who don’t share yours and others on the “left” world view of things are also not influenced by Farage etc. ......Gwion is doing just fine in his unfamiliar role as wing back.
As a footnote, most of my friends and family are “left” leaning in there views.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:03 - Jan 23 with 5485 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:59 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

Possibly. I maintain that many people talk a good game but when it comes time to vote they put the cross in the box that will be best for them personally.

I don’t think I’ve ever voted with myself in mind beyond more mental health support.

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:04 - Jan 23 with 5485 viewsJ2BLUE

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:02 - Jan 23 by StochesStotasBlewe

As someone who considers himself fairly conservative, the three aforementioned people in no way resonate with me. I also think I,m fairly well educated thank you very much. This also depends really on what your definition of “Right Wing” is. It is reasonable to assume that a great many who don’t share yours and others on the “left” world view of things are also not influenced by Farage etc. ......Gwion is doing just fine in his unfamiliar role as wing back.
As a footnote, most of my friends and family are “left” leaning in there views.

Financially conservative? Socially conservative? Both?

I think social and financial conservatism needs to be separated. I'm socially consservative while being less financially conservative.

Truly impaired.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:05 - Jan 23 with 5477 viewsClapham_Junction

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 12:54 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

Regarding your first point, you may well be correct in social terms - people don't want to admit to not holding progressive views (certain members of my family will make dubious comments when I'm present but wouldn't dare when my other half is). However, in economic terms, the electorate seems to hold more left-wing views that the parties they vote for.

It looks like we have fully entered US-style culture war politics where social views are more important in determining voting habits than economic ones, and people will vote against their own interests to stick it to the libs.
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:05 - Jan 23 with 5470 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:04 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

I think social and financial conservatism needs to be separated. I'm socially consservative while being less financially conservative.

Agree with that. It amazes me anyone can vote for their finances over the greater good bit from
11 years working full time I can see I’m in the minority there. Although I might just start saying my view is the “British way” and “Will of the people” to be ironically annoying :)

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:08 - Jan 23 with 5449 views26_Paz

This is spot on.

The Paz Man

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:13 - Jan 23 with 5402 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:04 - Jan 23 by J2BLUE

I would consider myself more socially conservative than financially.
Anyhoo, off to plant up another hedge. Social conscience.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:15 - Jan 23 with 5366 viewsGlasgowBlue

As Somebody who leans to the right I am extremely embarrassed by racists like Farage, Hopkins and Robinson who claim to be on my side of the political debate.

To save my blushes do you mind if I call you a c*nt in the hope that Phil will pull this thread and ask you to stop posting on subjects that are “ effectively covering the same ground as numerous other threads”

Thanks in advance 💋

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:15 - Jan 23 with 5391 viewsr2d2

What is being patriotic though? The Royal family? The NHS? Following the England football team? Our Armed forces? The countries historic ruins? The history of our country? Lots of things can be classed as patriotic, doesnt make people right wing though.
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:19 - Jan 23 with 5370 viewsElephantintheRoom

Same reason that 17 million can drag 58 million Brits out of the EU... 43% of the vote is a MASSIVE mandate from the british people etc.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:23 - Jan 23 with 5360 viewsr2d2

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:19 - Jan 23 by ElephantintheRoom

Same reason that 17 million can drag 58 million Brits out of the EU... 43% of the vote is a MASSIVE mandate from the british people etc.

Not that old chestnut again. The election is done. Get over it. Go and enjoy your life. You are stuck with Boris for at least 5 years and most probably longer. As Labour are miles off it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024