Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. 12:28 - Jan 23 with 27749 viewsmonytowbray

Is why many feel the need to assume what they think is patriotic or the opinion of the masses? Farage I regularly used to see referred as the man of the people. Tommy Robinson and Hopkins are regularly said to "just be saying what everyone's thinking" by the same folk.

Why do they feel the need to project their lack of values on everyone or claim it's the British thing to do? These people are far from a "majority", let alone a "silent" one if you spend 5 minutes reading the rubbish spouted on social media.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone equate a leftist idea as patriotic or something everyone believes deep down because to do so with any idea is nonsense, even if in the actual majority. I don't believe banning hunting is the British thing to do or something everyone thinks for example, even though you'd hard pressed to find many people who are pro-hunting next to the masses of people against it.

Eurgh.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:47 - Jan 23 with 1633 views26_Paz

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 14:38 - Jan 23 by monytowbray

I want examples of the good and how in your opinion they outweigh the bad.

It's not illogical to ask for evidence to back a statement. In fact in should be a basic standard but it seems we now live in a world where anyone can bleat an opinion and say it's fact.

What evidence do you want? Where so you stop in your quest for evidence. If your neighbour says 'nice day today' do you request meteorological reports?
Some things are just common knowledge. The UK has done loads of good stuff, a normal person just knows this and doesn't need a link to a wikipedia article to prove it.
World war 2, the war in Serbia / Kosovo, taking in more than most in terms of refugees down the years are just a few examples.

The Paz Man

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:49 - Jan 23 with 1633 viewsGaryCooper

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 13:05 - Jan 23 by monytowbray

Agree with that. It amazes me anyone can vote for their finances over the greater good bit from
11 years working full time I can see I’m in the minority there. Although I might just start saying my view is the “British way” and “Will of the people” to be ironically annoying :)

'It amazes me anyone can vote for their finances over the greater good bit from'

Network rail would probably disagree with you.
One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:49 - Jan 23 with 1633 viewsitfcjoe

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:46 - Jan 23 by jeera

Forcing your own values onto other people cannot be considered 'good' under any circumstances.

We are all too ready to take credit for things that may have occurred naturally anyway, or otherwise may have taken a different path as equal to, if not better.

I don't hate my country, any more than I hate any other country, but I do think it pays to be realistic.

What if those values are much more enlightened and speed up the direction of travel?

Despite all the rubbish going on at the moment, I consider myself exceptionally lucky to be born English and proud of my country and it's place in the world.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:50 - Jan 23 with 1628 viewsmatteoblue

‘Left’ and ‘Right’ wing are problematic political terms as you clearly demonstrate. To use a basic description, right wing can be described as a desire (conserve) the institutions and culture of the country, and attempts to change those institutions are left wing desires.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 15:55]

We are Premier League, say we are Premier League!

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:50 - Jan 23 with 1626 viewsfooters

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:46 - Jan 23 by jeera

Forcing your own values onto other people cannot be considered 'good' under any circumstances.

We are all too ready to take credit for things that may have occurred naturally anyway, or otherwise may have taken a different path as equal to, if not better.

I don't hate my country, any more than I hate any other country, but I do think it pays to be realistic.

Especially when introducing transport, administration etc were key to the exploitation of that nation and its resources, rather than intended for the population's benefit.

Let's also not forget that, like most colonial rulers, the British often set different factions against each other in order to gain control, as seen with the caste system in India and empowering of the Muslim minority over the Christian majority in Nigeria.

These actions have caused decades, if not centuries of bitter division and conflict ever since.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:59 - Jan 23 with 1581 viewsjeera

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:49 - Jan 23 by itfcjoe

What if those values are much more enlightened and speed up the direction of travel?

Despite all the rubbish going on at the moment, I consider myself exceptionally lucky to be born English and proud of my country and it's place in the world.

Enlightened?

I would consider anyone forcing their will onto others and then telling them it's for their own good a worrying thought process.

Again, under any circumstances.

You can 'proud' of your country without ignoring its history.

That goes for people of all nationalities - not only us.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:59 - Jan 23 with 1577 viewsitfcjoe

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:59 - Jan 23 by jeera

Enlightened?

I would consider anyone forcing their will onto others and then telling them it's for their own good a worrying thought process.

Again, under any circumstances.

You can 'proud' of your country without ignoring its history.

That goes for people of all nationalities - not only us.

I don't ignore it, I just have a different view on the Empire to you

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:02 - Jan 23 with 1570 viewsLord_Lucan

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:38 - Jan 23 by itfcjoe

Plus also the nation that has spread most good to the world with democracy, administration, helathcare, etc.

To write off Empire as bad full stop, is just as silly as saying it was all good - it's such a fundamental part of human history that the world wouldn't be as it is today without it

That's a very fair point you make Joe. and apologies if it's already been said as I haven't got the time or inclination to read the whole thing but generally those to the right of centre tend to be proud of their country and big it up while those to the left of centre tend to put it down and or look to highlight any historical negatives.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:02 - Jan 23 with 1568 viewsjeera

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:59 - Jan 23 by itfcjoe

I don't ignore it, I just have a different view on the Empire to you

I don't see how many sane views there can possibly be of any nation imposing itself on others, murdering their people and stealing their lands and property.

Again, I'm not responsible for it and I will not apologise to anyone for it.

But that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

See, also the French, Dutch, Portuguese, Irish, Spanish...

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:06 - Jan 23 with 1549 viewsjeera

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:02 - Jan 23 by Lord_Lucan

That's a very fair point you make Joe. and apologies if it's already been said as I haven't got the time or inclination to read the whole thing but generally those to the right of centre tend to be proud of their country and big it up while those to the left of centre tend to put it down and or look to highlight any historical negatives.

But how about if you feel both things at the same time?

Surely it's normal to feel one whilst accepting the reality of the other.

I like my country, I adore its countryside, its language, its cuisine, culture.

I am also aware how those things came about, but that doesn't mean I have to not acknowledge how it happened nor feel a bit sorry for those who were chopped to bits by invading forces to make it happen.

And I certainly don't have to applaud it.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:08 - Jan 23 with 1542 viewsDarth_Koont

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:50 - Jan 23 by matteoblue

‘Left’ and ‘Right’ wing are problematic political terms as you clearly demonstrate. To use a basic description, right wing can be described as a desire (conserve) the institutions and culture of the country, and attempts to change those institutions are left wing desires.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 15:55]

As you say they're problematic terms but generally "modern" right-wingers now want to dismantle the physical institutions of state and prioritise personal liberty and opportunity instead.

Left-wingers now want to prop up the state as a defence of people's rights and to promote equality and justice.

On a related note, it should never be either or but the balance between the two that makes a country a great place to live. So it annoys me when right-wingers talk about equality in terms of"equality of opportunity". People have very different chances of taking those opportunities in the first place even if they're available to all and they can be hoovered upwards. This is just more individual liberty by a different name.

Pronouns: He/Him

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:13 - Jan 23 with 1526 viewsjeera

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:08 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

As you say they're problematic terms but generally "modern" right-wingers now want to dismantle the physical institutions of state and prioritise personal liberty and opportunity instead.

Left-wingers now want to prop up the state as a defence of people's rights and to promote equality and justice.

On a related note, it should never be either or but the balance between the two that makes a country a great place to live. So it annoys me when right-wingers talk about equality in terms of"equality of opportunity". People have very different chances of taking those opportunities in the first place even if they're available to all and they can be hoovered upwards. This is just more individual liberty by a different name.

Always good to see some of the wealthy doing their best to do the right thing too:

https://news.sky.com/story/simon-pegg-tax-millionaires-more-to-tackle-inequality

Sorry for the Sky link Facters. It was the first link to show up and I couldn't be bothered to look about.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 16:13]

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:14 - Jan 23 with 1524 viewsBackToRussia

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:38 - Jan 23 by itfcjoe

Plus also the nation that has spread most good to the world with democracy, administration, helathcare, etc.

To write off Empire as bad full stop, is just as silly as saying it was all good - it's such a fundamental part of human history that the world wouldn't be as it is today without it

It doesn't surprise me that you think that. It's an intellectual game you're playing. I choose not to dismiss illegal invasions, slavery, forced starvation and economic exploitation just because we set up a few hospitals and made the Indians hold elections.

Just like I refuse to condone the illegal war in Iraq which killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians because Tony Blair won a few elections for the red team.

Have some fooking principles. All of you.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:16 - Jan 23 with 1516 viewsBackToRussia

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:47 - Jan 23 by 26_Paz

What evidence do you want? Where so you stop in your quest for evidence. If your neighbour says 'nice day today' do you request meteorological reports?
Some things are just common knowledge. The UK has done loads of good stuff, a normal person just knows this and doesn't need a link to a wikipedia article to prove it.
World war 2, the war in Serbia / Kosovo, taking in more than most in terms of refugees down the years are just a few examples.

What about the Jewish refugees it refused in Wwii? They ended up being gassed. Blood on our hands.

Are you going to own that or not?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:17 - Jan 23 with 1512 viewsjeera

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:16 - Jan 23 by BackToRussia

What about the Jewish refugees it refused in Wwii? They ended up being gassed. Blood on our hands.

Are you going to own that or not?

I looked at his post and couldn't even be bothered.

Where do you even start?

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:18 - Jan 23 with 1508 viewsBackToRussia

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:17 - Jan 23 by jeera

I looked at his post and couldn't even be bothered.

Where do you even start?

The loads of good stuff consisting of fighting a war that Russia won, and a dodgy bombing campaign in Serbia.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:21 - Jan 23 with 1492 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:49 - Jan 23 by GaryCooper

'It amazes me anyone can vote for their finances over the greater good bit from'

It's not my fault you fundamentally can't understand how the rail network's economic model works.

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:22 - Jan 23 with 1485 viewsjeera

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:18 - Jan 23 by BackToRussia

The loads of good stuff consisting of fighting a war that Russia won, and a dodgy bombing campaign in Serbia.

The campaigns over the years to 'allow' fleeing refugees here.

With plenty in Parliament preferring to let them die instead of "taking them in" as he claims.

See WW2.

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:23 - Jan 23 with 1483 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:47 - Jan 23 by 26_Paz

I mean, it's your argument. Not mine. You make your case and we can agree/disagree/discuss. That's how intelligent debate works mate.

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:24 - Jan 23 with 1479 viewsjeera

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:23 - Jan 23 by monytowbray

I mean, it's your argument. Not mine. You make your case and we can agree/disagree/discuss. That's how intelligent debate works mate.

Actually, I have to admit, this made me smile:

" If your neighbour says 'nice day today' do you request meteorological reports?"

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:27 - Jan 23 with 1468 viewsLord_Lucan

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:49 - Jan 23 by GaryCooper

Sod those piffly veterans railcards, I want a Callis one.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:27 - Jan 23 with 1468 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 15:36 - Jan 23 by bazgammon

It did. It wasn't great, but it was not all genocide and evil. Yes, countries were exploited but it did some good too like ending the transatlantic slave trade. Get over it, it happened. No need for your self loathing of your country. Stalin, Mao, killed millions of their own people but Iv'e never heard a Russian or Chinese say they were ashamed of their country's past.

So if I shat on your coffee table, kept doing it every day for a month, and then in the end decided to clean it up would you be okay with that?

Also, if your mate said he kept sh1ting on someone's coffee table for a month but has since stopped, would you tell your mate he should still be proud of himself for sh1tting on said coffee table?

Literally nothing but denial in this post.

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:28 - Jan 23 with 1464 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:27 - Jan 23 by Lord_Lucan

Sod those piffly veterans railcards, I want a Callis one.

I offer free training ;)

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:29 - Jan 23 with 1460 viewsmonytowbray

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:24 - Jan 23 by jeera

Actually, I have to admit, this made me smile:

" If your neighbour says 'nice day today' do you request meteorological reports?"

As funny as it is, we are talking stuff that's been discussed at great length by experts over considerable evidence. The time my neighbour said hello to me hasn't :)

TWTD never forgets…

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:30 - Jan 23 with 1456 viewsStokieBlue

One thing that's really bugged me a while about the right wing. on 16:18 - Jan 23 by BackToRussia

A slight aside but what was the issue with the NATO action in Serbia?

There was literally ethnic cleansing going on.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024