Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where to live in the UK? 13:59 - Jan 23 with 33382 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I've no idea where I would like to live once I graduate from university next summer with my degree in physiotherapy. I'll be 29 when I finish, and I'm completely disillusioned with this country.

I've not travelled much in the UK (the only major cities I've been to are London, Birmingham, and Leeds). I'm aware this will therefore sound quite ignorant, but is there anywhere in the UK which is really that 'nice'? Can't say I've been bowled over by anywhere I've been so far.

To give you an idea of what sort of place I like on a purely aesthetic level. The most recent city I visited was Vancouver, which I absolutely loved.

In terms of what I would want, the main criterion is somewhere with a large population therefore creating many social opportunities. But it also has to feel open and friendly, as well as being aesthetically pleasing.

Does anywhere like this even exist in this country or am I going to have to go overseas for the type of thing I am looking for? If so then my qualification should open doors.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 14:00]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Where to live in the UK? on 15:33 - Jan 24 with 2834 viewsBigManBlue

Haven't the time to read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm repeating anyone's points - but

a) York is probably closest to your criteria and a cracking place, and
b) Living abroad for a couple of years is great if your situation allows - Europe is full of cracking cities that I'm sure you'd love. Even if you hate it, you'll appreciate the UK an awful lot more when you come back!

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Where to live in the UK? on 15:50 - Jan 24 with 2807 viewsbrazil1982

FWIW I have travelled extensively in the UK and I would recommend:

York, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Cambridge, Glasgow. I work in Manchester, loads going on here.
Where to live in the UK? on 15:53 - Jan 24 with 2802 viewsWallingford_Boy

Oxford.

We could be friends x

RIP Sir Bobby

Where to live in the UK? on 16:21 - Jan 24 with 2781 viewsOxford_Blue

Where to live in the UK? on 20:59 - Jan 23 by gordon

The risk with London though, is that it turns you into a tw*t. Seen it happen more times than I care to remember, and it doesn't get any less sadder each time.

London is where the money is, in most cases, so if you can and want to be ambitious in that way, London offers that route.
Where to live in the UK? on 16:24 - Jan 24 with 2773 viewsgordon

Where to live in the UK? on 13:35 - Jan 24 by BlueinBrum

Wondered if you care to elaborate on this at all.

If i'm a tw*t now I'm fairly sure i was a tw*t before i moved to London.

Well basically, lots of people like to make jokes and laugh about both themselves and other people, but they do know it's just a joke and in the spirit of fun and all that. But when people move to London, particularly from provincial towns like, I don't know, Brackley, Nuneaton or Kings Lynn, their capacity to do so slowly ebbs away.They start to take themselves awful seriously. They become what's often known as big time charlies, or in the interest of brevity, tw*ts.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 16:25]
Where to live in the UK? on 16:25 - Jan 24 with 2769 viewsOxford_Blue

Where to live in the UK? on 20:15 - Jan 23 by Swansea_Blue

Cost is always the issue isn’t it? I had an ex in Oxford, and even with a decent job the sorts of places people can afford to live immediately post-degree are little different to any other place.

Yes although it used to be the most expensive place in the country relative to local wages for several years - but now is third after London and Cambridge.

A two bed terrace near the centre / station is about £475-525k. In Jericho (trendy area) its £600k plus.

In Ipswich, for £600k, you’d get a four or five bed near the centre with a decent garden.
Where to live in the UK? on 16:32 - Jan 24 with 2758 viewsgordon

Where to live in the UK? on 13:16 - Jan 24 by ThisIsMyUsername

Spacious.
Modern feel.
Vibrant.
Safe.
Culture.
Nice views.
Easy access to different types of environments.

So, let's start with Coventry. Marks out of 10 in each category.

Spacious: 6 (not sure what this category is about)
Modern feel: 3 (not many old buildings, but the new buildings are pretty awful)
Vibrant: 1 (no)
Safe: 4 (not bad)
Culture: 4 (a transport museum and half a cathedral)
Nice Views: 0 (no views to speak of)
Easy access to different types of environments: 1 (in the worst bit of England)

Total score: 19
Where to live in the UK? on 16:32 - Jan 24 with 2758 viewsLower_North

Where to live in the UK? on 17:50 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

Norwich.

I live just North of Yarmouth its lovely up here.

Norwich defo
Login to get fewer ads

Where to live in the UK? on 16:45 - Jan 24 with 2739 viewsDarth_Koont

Where to live in the UK? on 01:39 - Jan 24 by connorscontract

You're exactly where I have been over the last 18 months, but at a different "crossroads" life stage.

My sons have both now left home. One graduated in the summer, one went to Uni in September.

I wanted to leave Britain because of the Brexit vote. i wanted to live somewhere optimistic and friendly and welcoming of difference.

For the past two years I was preparing for this moment. A friend who lives in Calgary invited us over and had a job opening for me lined up. I had discussions and it was pretty much lined up.

I investigated immigration into Canada. If you have the right professional or educational qualifications it is easy. There is a national set of criteria- pass those and you are in. There are also Province or Territory (the Canadian equivalent of US States) criteria- so if a particular region is short of a particular skilled workforce they can add them in even if they aren't on the national list. Once in and working after only 5 years you can apply for Canadian citizenship, giving permanent rights (and also some pretty cool reciprocal rights with USA- worth knowing!). Best of all there is no problem being a dual British and Canadian citizen as the Queen is Head of State of both! Perfect!

Vancouver is wet and grey, but beautiful and has amazing beaches, coastline, islands, mountains, skiing nearby if that's your thing, a young international population.

Calgary has much colder winters (and winter/snow season is 7-8 months of the year) but is very dry and bright. And it is an hour away from Banff National Park which contains tens of thousands of views each of which would be the most beautiful view in any other country.

Toronto and Montreal are both great cities, and so is the small University city of Kingston between them.

Canada is a great country. Everyone is polite and, as you say, everywhere is clean. Why don't people drop litter in Canada? Because a fed bear is a dead bear.

So, my heart was set on Canada. Initially Calgary: get citizenship then maybe move on somewhere else.

Then my Dad was diagnosed late with cancer. It had gone stage 4, into his bones. Suddenly everything changed...

Canada would be too far away. i just couldn't do it.

I went to Edinburgh for the Fringe this summer, as I do every couple of years. I was on the bus in from Leith where we were staying. Anyone who knows Edinburgh will know that's not the pretty way. But the city seemed buzzing, alive, vibrant. Not the busyness of the Festival, but real life. And I just felt, really strongly: i want to live here!

So I've sorted a job and I move in late March/early April. It's still a 7 hour drive from my parents, but an easy 45 minute bus from my house to the airport in emergencies, short flight and then an easy train and taxi to their house, or a train 4 or 5 hours and taxi. Doable.

But I get to live in a beautiful city, with THE comedy festival (I'll be able to get to two or three shows every day on work days!) and loads of other festivals, Hogmanay, hundreds of brilliant pubs, bars and restaurants, Arthur's Seat 10 minutes from my house, Portobello Beach a 15 minute drive away. Seaside and a cultural city after 16 years stuck in a medium sized town in the Midlands.

And, OK, it's not Canada, but for the past three years I have been dying for the Labour Party to win the argument, to stand up to and defeat one of the worst (performing) Prime Ministers of all time and then one of the worst (as a human being) Prime Ministers of all time. And they have failed. And I've been impressed by very few MPs, but consistently by the SNP. So I haven't left Britain, but I'm going somewhere where progressive politics are celebrated.

Birmingham is a friendly place- don't rule it out. Bristol is cool. Friends who live in Leeds love it. Newcastle is interesting. Cambridge, Oxford. Basically loads of English University cities will give you a young and diverse population and loads to do. As long as you can afford to live in the right areas.

But I have to emotionally and physically turn my back on England. This song (WARNING NSFW!!!) sums it up:

And I love Edinburgh, and this is just a glimpse into a beautiful city:

And one of its most famous sons sums the attraction of the city up here:

And there's countryside nearly, not quite, but nearly, as beautiful as Western Canada in just about any direction, eg:

I'm happy with my choice, but if I were you I'd look at Canada first (maybe visit Toronto and Montreal, to give more of a flavour and choices?) read up on immigration possibilities in your line of work and go for it!

Great films there. And you're right, Rankin really does seem to capture the essence of Edinburgh.

Although the last film is a little bit of a cheat. While the scenery, coast and countryside around Edinburgh compares to almost anywhere else in the UK, it's the Western highlands and islands that lift Scotland to number one in many lists of the most beautiful countries in the world. But that's a proper day's drive away from Edinburgh. Increasingly beautiful along the way of course if you head up through Perthshire and over.

And just a word to people on here who've not travelled in the UK: Get yourself sorted. There's so many fantastic people and places in such a relatively small area.

Pronouns: He/Him

Where to live in the UK? on 16:51 - Jan 24 with 2729 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 16:45 - Jan 24 by Darth_Koont

Great films there. And you're right, Rankin really does seem to capture the essence of Edinburgh.

Although the last film is a little bit of a cheat. While the scenery, coast and countryside around Edinburgh compares to almost anywhere else in the UK, it's the Western highlands and islands that lift Scotland to number one in many lists of the most beautiful countries in the world. But that's a proper day's drive away from Edinburgh. Increasingly beautiful along the way of course if you head up through Perthshire and over.

And just a word to people on here who've not travelled in the UK: Get yourself sorted. There's so many fantastic people and places in such a relatively small area.

Parts of Scotland are lovely. Like Suffolk.

Suffolk is really nice if people take the time to explore it.

*Cough*

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Where to live in the UK? on 16:55 - Jan 24 with 2717 viewsDarth_Koont

Where to live in the UK? on 16:51 - Jan 24 by jeera

Parts of Scotland are lovely. Like Suffolk.

Suffolk is really nice if people take the time to explore it.

*Cough*

Ha! I was just pulling your leg.

I like the understated majesty of a carvery next to a stream.

Where to live in the UK? on 16:58 - Jan 24 with 2706 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 16:55 - Jan 24 by Darth_Koont

Ha! I was just pulling your leg.

I like the understated majesty of a carvery next to a stream.

You can only dream of the majesty of a carvery.

I've read how you gather in droves to feast on raw animal innards.

On your bloomin, hilltops.

I've seen the films.

Where to live in the UK? on 17:02 - Jan 24 with 2695 viewsDarth_Koont

Where to live in the UK? on 16:58 - Jan 24 by jeera

You can only dream of the majesty of a carvery.

I've read how you gather in droves to feast on raw animal innards.

On your bloomin, hilltops.

I've seen the films.

'Tis true. Wearing skirts too.

It's well f@cked up.

Where to live in the UK? on 17:06 - Jan 24 with 2686 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 17:02 - Jan 24 by Darth_Koont

'Tis true. Wearing skirts too.

It's well f@cked up.

One of my favourite S.Lee pieces is the clip of him in Glasgow.

Most of the audience were laughing along but feck, was he getting a look or two as well.

Where to live in the UK? on 17:53 - Jan 24 with 2654 viewsDarth_Koont

Where to live in the UK? on 17:06 - Jan 24 by jeera

One of my favourite S.Lee pieces is the clip of him in Glasgow.

Most of the audience were laughing along but feck, was he getting a look or two as well.

There are a few who struggle with it. As you possibly saw from that, there's room to spare with how most Scots can take the p!ss out of themselves.

But always amuses me when people try to compare Scottish nationalism with English nationalism. In the organised sense, as there's no problem with being proud of where you come from and wanting to promote it.

But Scottish nationalism is very much like the scene in Trainspotting where they lament the fact that Scotland''s rubbish because we've "allowed ourselves to be colonised by w@nkers". English nationalism (think EDL, English Democrats etc.) is basically those who want to revel in being those utter w@nkers and that their birthright is to be w@nkers.

It occurs to me that the hardcore nationalists and patriots in the UK actually know very little about the UK. This site seems to demonstrate that.

Where to live in the UK? on 18:02 - Jan 24 with 2631 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 17:53 - Jan 24 by Darth_Koont

There are a few who struggle with it. As you possibly saw from that, there's room to spare with how most Scots can take the p!ss out of themselves.

But always amuses me when people try to compare Scottish nationalism with English nationalism. In the organised sense, as there's no problem with being proud of where you come from and wanting to promote it.

But Scottish nationalism is very much like the scene in Trainspotting where they lament the fact that Scotland''s rubbish because we've "allowed ourselves to be colonised by w@nkers". English nationalism (think EDL, English Democrats etc.) is basically those who want to revel in being those utter w@nkers and that their birthright is to be w@nkers.

It occurs to me that the hardcore nationalists and patriots in the UK actually know very little about the UK. This site seems to demonstrate that.

As you'll know, (well, about me anyway I'd hope), but see also Callis's thread "Right Wing..." you'll know my sentiments.

But in the pure sense of jesting, I do like some stereotyping, so long as it's given and received in the right environment and in the right spirit.

Of course, the people at that show would know exactly what they were there to see and were perfectly happy to laugh along, because the jokes weren't remotely aimed at them, but at the stereotypical non-existent entities of them.

Traces of truth mixed in with ridiculous assumptions are what makes that stuff funny, along with the comedian's own willingness to portray himself as an open ignorant target.

As the scene wore on, so did the realisation of all that too, and smiles were forthcoming.

It's the connection in the room between the two parties that makes it fun isn't it.

You and I both know Suffolk, for example, is the best place to live on Earth.

But there's no chance in hell you're going to publicly admit that.

Edit: In case there are any crossed wires, no, I agree. 'English' nationalism cannot be conflated with Scottish nationalism. They are separate concepts driven by different motives.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 18:19]

Where to live in the UK? on 18:44 - Jan 24 with 2594 viewsDarth_Koont

Where to live in the UK? on 18:02 - Jan 24 by jeera

As you'll know, (well, about me anyway I'd hope), but see also Callis's thread "Right Wing..." you'll know my sentiments.

But in the pure sense of jesting, I do like some stereotyping, so long as it's given and received in the right environment and in the right spirit.

Of course, the people at that show would know exactly what they were there to see and were perfectly happy to laugh along, because the jokes weren't remotely aimed at them, but at the stereotypical non-existent entities of them.

Traces of truth mixed in with ridiculous assumptions are what makes that stuff funny, along with the comedian's own willingness to portray himself as an open ignorant target.

As the scene wore on, so did the realisation of all that too, and smiles were forthcoming.

It's the connection in the room between the two parties that makes it fun isn't it.

You and I both know Suffolk, for example, is the best place to live on Earth.

But there's no chance in hell you're going to publicly admit that.

Edit: In case there are any crossed wires, no, I agree. 'English' nationalism cannot be conflated with Scottish nationalism. They are separate concepts driven by different motives.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 18:19]

Hehe. Good stuff jeers and you're right.

And let's just say Suffolk is much better than Norfolk. It's an insulting comparison and rivalry from the start.

Where to live in the UK? on 19:12 - Jan 24 with 2575 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Where to live in the UK? on 14:00 - Jan 23 by GeoffSentence

Try Bath.

Bath is great.

And it is close to all that West Country loveliness.

Bath.

I have spent many a brewed up afternoon on the benches of Bath.....bloody lovely. Culture innit!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Where to live in the UK? on 19:17 - Jan 24 with 2568 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Where to live in the UK? on 22:53 - Jan 23 by tomo

Another vote for Brighton. Came to Uni here 15 years ago and never left.

You will be approaching the age where you probably should then!

Where to live in the UK? on 19:25 - Jan 24 with 2559 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Where to live in the UK? on 13:18 - Jan 24 by ThisIsMyUsername

Thanks for sharing, CC. I hope the move to Edinburgh goes well for you.

I have also considered Toronto and would like to check it out - but might be slightly put off by the incredibly snowy winters!

Physio's dream surely....cold muscles....slippery!!

Where to live in the UK? on 19:46 - Jan 24 with 2535 viewsHerbivore

Where to live in the UK? on 19:17 - Jan 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

You will be approaching the age where you probably should then!

15 years at uni is pretty standard to be fair.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Where to live in the UK? on 21:56 - Jan 24 with 2484 viewssohamblue74

I also endorse the suggestions for Exeter, Glasgow, Cambridge and Manchester.
Canada a good shout for overseas. New Zealand is even better.
Where to live in the UK? on 22:32 - Jan 24 with 2458 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 21:56 - Jan 24 by sohamblue74

I also endorse the suggestions for Exeter, Glasgow, Cambridge and Manchester.
Canada a good shout for overseas. New Zealand is even better.

If you're young and qualified you just need to get out there and get on with it don't you.

Like you say, get over to NZ. It's not a tie, stay a year and have a great experience, then make a move to somewhere else.

You could even jump on a plane, but make sure no one is looking or taking photos.

Where to live in the UK? on 22:38 - Jan 24 with 2449 viewsWeWereZombies

Where to live in the UK? on 16:32 - Jan 24 by gordon

So, let's start with Coventry. Marks out of 10 in each category.

Spacious: 6 (not sure what this category is about)
Modern feel: 3 (not many old buildings, but the new buildings are pretty awful)
Vibrant: 1 (no)
Safe: 4 (not bad)
Culture: 4 (a transport museum and half a cathedral)
Nice Views: 0 (no views to speak of)
Easy access to different types of environments: 1 (in the worst bit of England)

Total score: 19

Magnificent - you have ignored that Coventry has a new cathedral with works by Henry Moore as well as being down the road from Stratford upon Avon! Not to mention it being the place where Two Tone started...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Where to live in the UK? on 05:09 - Jan 25 with 2404 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Where to live in the UK? on 13:16 - Jan 24 by ThisIsMyUsername

Spacious.
Modern feel.
Vibrant.
Safe.
Culture.
Nice views.
Easy access to different types of environments.

Bristol

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024