Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where to live in the UK? 13:59 - Jan 23 with 33471 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I've no idea where I would like to live once I graduate from university next summer with my degree in physiotherapy. I'll be 29 when I finish, and I'm completely disillusioned with this country.

I've not travelled much in the UK (the only major cities I've been to are London, Birmingham, and Leeds). I'm aware this will therefore sound quite ignorant, but is there anywhere in the UK which is really that 'nice'? Can't say I've been bowled over by anywhere I've been so far.

To give you an idea of what sort of place I like on a purely aesthetic level. The most recent city I visited was Vancouver, which I absolutely loved.

In terms of what I would want, the main criterion is somewhere with a large population therefore creating many social opportunities. But it also has to feel open and friendly, as well as being aesthetically pleasing.

Does anywhere like this even exist in this country or am I going to have to go overseas for the type of thing I am looking for? If so then my qualification should open doors.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 14:00]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Where to live in the UK? on 16:00 - Jan 23 with 3911 viewsChiefXL

Where to live in the UK? on 14:01 - Jan 23 by SomethingBlue

Sounds to me as if you'd really like Bristol.

Edinburgh not at all far off though.

Seconded for Bristol however it's extremely expensive
Where to live in the UK? on 16:13 - Jan 23 with 3876 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Where to live in the UK? on 15:58 - Jan 23 by itfcjoe

The UK isn't going anywhere, whereas opportunities to move abroad slide through your fingers at the blink of an eye.

I've never done it, and don't regret it as I have a nice life - but if I could go back and have the chance again I probably would do it

It's something I will probably do for a while, as otherwise it will at best remain a nagging temptation, at worst become a large regret.

However this thread was still useful from a general sense as my title question is something that I have genuinelly wondered about for a long time. Perhaps I should make an effort to see more of the UK for myself and find out what it's really like.

Where to live in the UK? on 16:13 - Jan 23 with 3875 viewsDarth_Koont

Where to live in the UK? on 15:56 - Jan 23 by ThisIsMyUsername

Of course. That is currently an appealing option. I do have a friend there already which is useful. I don't want to write off the UK for good just yet mind you.

Besides the Vancouver itself and the rest of the Commonwealth, there's also Scandinavia and Finland. Probably the coastal parts of the Netherlands too. Not speaking the language isn't an issue as the vast majority speak great English and you can learn the local language at your own pace.

You might have to do a crash course on body parts of course. But I can't even see the professional side of it having much of a language barrier either.

Pronouns: He/Him

Where to live in the UK? on 16:19 - Jan 23 with 3859 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Where to live in the UK? on 16:13 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

Besides the Vancouver itself and the rest of the Commonwealth, there's also Scandinavia and Finland. Probably the coastal parts of the Netherlands too. Not speaking the language isn't an issue as the vast majority speak great English and you can learn the local language at your own pace.

You might have to do a crash course on body parts of course. But I can't even see the professional side of it having much of a language barrier either.

Private/international clinics in Europe were something that I have also considered. Plenty of options to explore!

Where to live in the UK? on 16:23 - Jan 23 with 3846 viewsLord_Lucan

Don't dismiss this.

Hong Kong

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Where to live in the UK? on 16:23 - Jan 23 with 3845 viewsDarth_Koont

Where to live in the UK? on 16:19 - Jan 23 by ThisIsMyUsername

Private/international clinics in Europe were something that I have also considered. Plenty of options to explore!

Good luck! And as others say, go for it. You may end up back in the UK after just a year or two but it will give you a completely different perspective on the UK too.

Same also applies but to a lesser extent if you move to a different UK city. The cultures (and who you are and how you fit in) are all very different.

Pronouns: He/Him

Where to live in the UK? on 16:30 - Jan 23 with 3828 viewsitfcjoe

Where to live in the UK? on 16:23 - Jan 23 by Lord_Lucan

Don't dismiss this.

Hong Kong

Had a few friends there but nearly all left now, mostly to Singapore due to creeping Chinese rule

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Where to live in the UK? on 16:36 - Jan 23 with 3805 viewsLord_Lucan

Where to live in the UK? on 16:30 - Jan 23 by itfcjoe

Had a few friends there but nearly all left now, mostly to Singapore due to creeping Chinese rule

I've never been to Singapore but it's never appealed to me, I get the feeling it could be quite easy to end up doing a long stretch after a lairy night out.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Where to live in the UK? on 17:01 - Jan 23 with 3771 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 16:36 - Jan 23 by Lord_Lucan

I've never been to Singapore but it's never appealed to me, I get the feeling it could be quite easy to end up doing a long stretch after a lairy night out.

I visited Singapore in my 20s and was fascinated by the stark contrast of old meets new.

I was staying in some cheap place down the old end, with cockroaches and eating houses that had tables outside with rats occasionally running over your feet.

Not a million miles down the road you came to a more commercial Singapore; a busy bustling area with wonderful food at every turn. Newton's Circus was a 24 hours open air market with live stock; lobsters and crabs and cooks lined up ready with hot woks ready to order fresh with noodles.

Only a short sprint from there was a different town. Straight lines of tall shopping centres selling every electrical item known to man, and a few that yet weren't.

Now, apparently, that amazing food market is an indoor enterprise. All rather sterile looking.

I did comment in one bar one night to a local that I hadn't spotted any police, which surprised me given the reputation for strict law and order.

He informed me that I'd seen plenty, but I just wouldn't know. In fact, he said, tell nobody anything; "I could be one" he said, "and as far as I know, you could be testing me too".
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 17:04]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Where to live in the UK? on 17:07 - Jan 23 with 3752 viewsstrikalite

Manchester, friendly people, loads to do, lake district not too far away...
Where to live in the UK? on 17:18 - Jan 23 with 3740 viewstractordownsouth

Cardiff has the magic combo of being a nice place to live and cheap place to live

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Where to live in the UK? on 17:21 - Jan 23 with 3732 viewsLord_Lucan

Where to live in the UK? on 17:01 - Jan 23 by jeera

I visited Singapore in my 20s and was fascinated by the stark contrast of old meets new.

I was staying in some cheap place down the old end, with cockroaches and eating houses that had tables outside with rats occasionally running over your feet.

Not a million miles down the road you came to a more commercial Singapore; a busy bustling area with wonderful food at every turn. Newton's Circus was a 24 hours open air market with live stock; lobsters and crabs and cooks lined up ready with hot woks ready to order fresh with noodles.

Only a short sprint from there was a different town. Straight lines of tall shopping centres selling every electrical item known to man, and a few that yet weren't.

Now, apparently, that amazing food market is an indoor enterprise. All rather sterile looking.

I did comment in one bar one night to a local that I hadn't spotted any police, which surprised me given the reputation for strict law and order.

He informed me that I'd seen plenty, but I just wouldn't know. In fact, he said, tell nobody anything; "I could be one" he said, "and as far as I know, you could be testing me too".

Yeah, you've put me off even more now.

Where to live in the UK? on 17:27 - Jan 23 with 3718 viewsNewcyBlue

Welcome to Newcastle!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Where to live in the UK? on 17:39 - Jan 23 with 3706 viewsmanchego

Maybe Vancouver would be an option.
Had a friend go there and loves it.
He said "it's really clean"

He is a Polish guy and had a lawyer type friend who worked out the ins and outs.
Where to live in the UK? on 17:45 - Jan 23 with 3687 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 17:21 - Jan 23 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah, you've put me off even more now.

That's fair enough - I don't blame you.

You'd have loved the old Newton Circus and would have recognised the format by your own travels. You could sit in the open air all night if you wished, drink, eat fresh food cooked in front of you, and chat to locals and fellow visitors alike.

I have seen photos of the regenerated version and am not in the bit interested myself.

Where to live in the UK? on 17:50 - Jan 23 with 3682 viewsHerbivore

Norwich.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Where to live in the UK? on 17:55 - Jan 23 with 3663 viewsgordon

I'd say Edinburgh is the only city in the UK with a proper wow factor because of Arthur's Seat, Salisbury Crags and the Pentland Hills and the architecture. It p*sses all over any other city in the UK in that sense. Although Glasgow may be more dynamic in lots of ways as Darth Koont says. Inverness as well, although it's really small also has a really great vibe, lots of young outdoorsy people and a good social scene. What I'm saying, basically, is Scotland. But not Aberdeen.
Where to live in the UK? on 18:00 - Jan 23 with 3651 viewsfactual_blue

Where to live in the UK? on 17:01 - Jan 23 by jeera

By my reckoning you were in fact working on the building of the Raffles Hotel then.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Where to live in the UK? on 18:03 - Jan 23 with 3640 viewsHerbivore

Where to live in the UK? on 17:55 - Jan 23 by gordon

I'd say Edinburgh is the only city in the UK with a proper wow factor because of Arthur's Seat, Salisbury Crags and the Pentland Hills and the architecture. It p*sses all over any other city in the UK in that sense. Although Glasgow may be more dynamic in lots of ways as Darth Koont says. Inverness as well, although it's really small also has a really great vibe, lots of young outdoorsy people and a good social scene. What I'm saying, basically, is Scotland. But not Aberdeen.

I'm very seriously considering a move to Scotland at some point in the next few years. I like Stirling (albeit it's quite small) but also love Edinburgh. It's expensive though so may consider Glasgow too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Where to live in the UK? on 18:17 - Jan 23 with 3605 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 18:03 - Jan 23 by Herbivore

I'm very seriously considering a move to Scotland at some point in the next few years. I like Stirling (albeit it's quite small) but also love Edinburgh. It's expensive though so may consider Glasgow too.

Nothing wrong with our coinage.

Ok, maybe the 5 pences. Those are too small.

I don't understand why we still have them tbh, let alone copper.

I've looked at Scotland. Still some bargains to be had house-wise. Especially on some of the islands.

Where to live in the UK? on 18:20 - Jan 23 with 3598 viewsvapour_trail

Where to live in the UK? on 15:22 - Jan 23 by hampstead_blue

Wiltshire is lovely.
We moved here two years ago and love it.

Very nice market towns, Swindon is a dump btw.
Lots of old and middle class money - we are working class regardless of what others may say.... :-)

Newbury area is nice. Hampshire is very nice. I was in Aldershot and Winchester, expensive though.

Shropshire is very nice. Good links to London by train.

Hampstead has been on the up over the last two years or so.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Where to live in the UK? on 18:20 - Jan 23 with 3599 viewsNewcyBlue

Where to live in the UK? on 18:00 - Jan 23 by factual_blue

By my reckoning you were in fact working on the building of the Raffles Hotel then.

I love Raffles.

I am signing off in Singapore. Hopefully some time there before flying home!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Where to live in the UK? on 18:22 - Jan 23 with 3593 viewsBloomBlue

Burnley. Very cosmopolitan, lots of lovely scenic views with the hills/moors, old historic buildings and cheap housing
Where to live in the UK? on 18:22 - Jan 23 with 3592 viewsvapour_trail

Where to live in the UK? on 15:38 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

I love Bristol (and Bath too) but they're increasingly a bit of a hassle to get around or find somewhere you want to live.

Good shout on Edinburgh but I think, as much as it pains me to say as a Leith boy, Glasgow might be an even better bet. A city on the up economically, culturally and socially, not too expensive and a proximity to lots of different and stunning nature. Probably the closest we've got to a Vancouver - although the skiing is definitely pretty shyte in comparison.

Don’t go to Scotland. It’s fcking freezing and full of Scottish people.

If you’re in your 20s, London town is your friend.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Where to live in the UK? on 18:24 - Jan 23 with 3582 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 18:22 - Jan 23 by vapour_trail

Don’t go to Scotland. It’s fcking freezing and full of Scottish people.

If you’re in your 20s, London town is your friend.

Like Darth is in his twenties.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024