Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where to live in the UK? 13:59 - Jan 23 with 33490 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I've no idea where I would like to live once I graduate from university next summer with my degree in physiotherapy. I'll be 29 when I finish, and I'm completely disillusioned with this country.

I've not travelled much in the UK (the only major cities I've been to are London, Birmingham, and Leeds). I'm aware this will therefore sound quite ignorant, but is there anywhere in the UK which is really that 'nice'? Can't say I've been bowled over by anywhere I've been so far.

To give you an idea of what sort of place I like on a purely aesthetic level. The most recent city I visited was Vancouver, which I absolutely loved.

In terms of what I would want, the main criterion is somewhere with a large population therefore creating many social opportunities. But it also has to feel open and friendly, as well as being aesthetically pleasing.

Does anywhere like this even exist in this country or am I going to have to go overseas for the type of thing I am looking for? If so then my qualification should open doors.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 14:00]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Where to live in the UK? on 07:47 - Jan 24 with 3555 viewsElephantintheRoom

You could take a leaf out of Terry Butcher's book and try Bridge of Allan. This is really a suburb of Stirling, which itself is equidistant between Clasgow and Edinburgh givng you employment opportunities in both cities. I lived there for three years and it was very pleasant.

BUT Scotland is cold, wet and grey and full of scots with chips on their shoulders.... and you're a long way from anywhere... an important consideration if you have family and friends. It will also become hugely expensive to live once they get independence which is now inevitable.

This country is on the brink of manymassive self-engineered problems and if you are genuinely interested in moving abroad do it now. As a left field suggestion try Toulouse. Its a beautiful city one of the nicest placers to live in France, access to anything and everything you could want, a far better standard of living than you'd get here - yet you can be back in the declinining UK via a quick flight or train ride.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Where to live in the UK? on 08:16 - Jan 24 with 3524 viewsGlasgowBlue

Where to live in the UK? on 01:39 - Jan 24 by connorscontract

You're exactly where I have been over the last 18 months, but at a different "crossroads" life stage.

My sons have both now left home. One graduated in the summer, one went to Uni in September.

I wanted to leave Britain because of the Brexit vote. i wanted to live somewhere optimistic and friendly and welcoming of difference.

For the past two years I was preparing for this moment. A friend who lives in Calgary invited us over and had a job opening for me lined up. I had discussions and it was pretty much lined up.

I investigated immigration into Canada. If you have the right professional or educational qualifications it is easy. There is a national set of criteria- pass those and you are in. There are also Province or Territory (the Canadian equivalent of US States) criteria- so if a particular region is short of a particular skilled workforce they can add them in even if they aren't on the national list. Once in and working after only 5 years you can apply for Canadian citizenship, giving permanent rights (and also some pretty cool reciprocal rights with USA- worth knowing!). Best of all there is no problem being a dual British and Canadian citizen as the Queen is Head of State of both! Perfect!

Vancouver is wet and grey, but beautiful and has amazing beaches, coastline, islands, mountains, skiing nearby if that's your thing, a young international population.

Calgary has much colder winters (and winter/snow season is 7-8 months of the year) but is very dry and bright. And it is an hour away from Banff National Park which contains tens of thousands of views each of which would be the most beautiful view in any other country.

Toronto and Montreal are both great cities, and so is the small University city of Kingston between them.

Canada is a great country. Everyone is polite and, as you say, everywhere is clean. Why don't people drop litter in Canada? Because a fed bear is a dead bear.

So, my heart was set on Canada. Initially Calgary: get citizenship then maybe move on somewhere else.

Then my Dad was diagnosed late with cancer. It had gone stage 4, into his bones. Suddenly everything changed...

Canada would be too far away. i just couldn't do it.

I went to Edinburgh for the Fringe this summer, as I do every couple of years. I was on the bus in from Leith where we were staying. Anyone who knows Edinburgh will know that's not the pretty way. But the city seemed buzzing, alive, vibrant. Not the busyness of the Festival, but real life. And I just felt, really strongly: i want to live here!

So I've sorted a job and I move in late March/early April. It's still a 7 hour drive from my parents, but an easy 45 minute bus from my house to the airport in emergencies, short flight and then an easy train and taxi to their house, or a train 4 or 5 hours and taxi. Doable.

But I get to live in a beautiful city, with THE comedy festival (I'll be able to get to two or three shows every day on work days!) and loads of other festivals, Hogmanay, hundreds of brilliant pubs, bars and restaurants, Arthur's Seat 10 minutes from my house, Portobello Beach a 15 minute drive away. Seaside and a cultural city after 16 years stuck in a medium sized town in the Midlands.

And, OK, it's not Canada, but for the past three years I have been dying for the Labour Party to win the argument, to stand up to and defeat one of the worst (performing) Prime Ministers of all time and then one of the worst (as a human being) Prime Ministers of all time. And they have failed. And I've been impressed by very few MPs, but consistently by the SNP. So I haven't left Britain, but I'm going somewhere where progressive politics are celebrated.

Birmingham is a friendly place- don't rule it out. Bristol is cool. Friends who live in Leeds love it. Newcastle is interesting. Cambridge, Oxford. Basically loads of English University cities will give you a young and diverse population and loads to do. As long as you can afford to live in the right areas.

But I have to emotionally and physically turn my back on England. This song (WARNING NSFW!!!) sums it up:

And I love Edinburgh, and this is just a glimpse into a beautiful city:

And one of its most famous sons sums the attraction of the city up here:

And there's countryside nearly, not quite, but nearly, as beautiful as Western Canada in just about any direction, eg:

I'm happy with my choice, but if I were you I'd look at Canada first (maybe visit Toronto and Montreal, to give more of a flavour and choices?) read up on immigration possibilities in your line of work and go for it!

Sorry to read about your dad CC.

Edinburgh is a fantastic city with so much to offer and most of the central best us easily accessible if event you fancy a change of scenery for the day.

Also I recall you saying you promote/attend a lot if comedy events so yiu will be in your element during the fringe.

Good luck with your move.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 8:26]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Where to live in the UK? on 08:23 - Jan 24 with 3527 viewsGeoffSentence

Where to live in the UK? on 00:59 - Jan 24 by The_Last_Baron

York. Can't beat it.

Going in a couple of weeks.

I have been round it and through it, but never been to it.

Looking forward to seeing how it measures up to Bath.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Where to live in the UK? on 08:25 - Jan 24 with 3526 viewsitfcjoe

Where to live in the UK? on 22:39 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

East Anglia is dull as feck. Geographically at least. Nice people and Ipswich is the greatest football team the world has ever seen.

OK, it's better than most of the South East but it doesn't really compare to the rest of the UK after that. OK, Lincolnshire is pretty drab and average too I'll give you that.

Harsh on EA, plenty here to do - just lacks a bit of nightlife.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Where to live in the UK? on 09:56 - Jan 24 with 3481 viewsElephantintheRoom

Where to live in the UK? on 08:25 - Jan 24 by itfcjoe

Harsh on EA, plenty here to do - just lacks a bit of nightlife.

Cambridge is in East Anglia and has plenty of nightlife IF that is your thing - and most of everything else. You can even cycle to the airport to kid yourself you are saving the planet. You DO need to be a millionaire or a student though to live there..

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Where to live in the UK? on 10:34 - Jan 24 with 3456 viewsWeWereZombies

Where to live in the UK? on 15:38 - Jan 23 by Darth_Koont

I love Bristol (and Bath too) but they're increasingly a bit of a hassle to get around or find somewhere you want to live.

Good shout on Edinburgh but I think, as much as it pains me to say as a Leith boy, Glasgow might be an even better bet. A city on the up economically, culturally and socially, not too expensive and a proximity to lots of different and stunning nature. Probably the closest we've got to a Vancouver - although the skiing is definitely pretty shyte in comparison.

If the OP is looking for a sizeable population to work on I reckon Glasgow is the place - there are a few sizeable amongst its population...

Seriously, Glasgow is so much more affordable than Edinburgh, great night life and genuinely friendly. I even think about moving there myself sometimes. And just as you have to travel out to Whistler if you want to ski in Vancouver you can get out to Glencoe or Cairngorm from Glasgow.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Where to live in the UK? on 10:40 - Jan 24 with 3442 viewschicoazul

Where to live in the UK? on 08:16 - Jan 24 by GlasgowBlue

Sorry to read about your dad CC.

Edinburgh is a fantastic city with so much to offer and most of the central best us easily accessible if event you fancy a change of scenery for the day.

Also I recall you saying you promote/attend a lot if comedy events so yiu will be in your element during the fringe.

Good luck with your move.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 8:26]

Edinburgh is the home of the Scots Tory though. Aware.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Where to live in the UK? on 11:41 - Jan 24 with 3409 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Where to live in the UK? on 01:20 - Jan 24 by vapour_trail

Wonder why that might be then.

High crime rate, unfriendly people, huge areas run down and decrepit, overcrowding most noticeable on public transport, dirty, lack of social cohesion. The list is a long one sir.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Login to get fewer ads

Where to live in the UK? on 11:44 - Jan 24 with 3400 viewsfooters

Where to live in the UK? on 11:41 - Jan 24 by The_Last_Baron

High crime rate, unfriendly people, huge areas run down and decrepit, overcrowding most noticeable on public transport, dirty, lack of social cohesion. The list is a long one sir.

But you'll brave it for the party next week, Shirley?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Where to live in the UK? on 12:09 - Jan 24 with 3367 viewsRyorry

Leeds. Cosmopolitan, friendly people, thriving both economically & in tolerant multi-cultural atmosphere, fantastic & diverse music/theatre/arts/shopping/food arising from that. Wonderful large parks. Brilliant countryside (Yorkshire Dales esp) only a 20 min journey away. Excellent road/rail links, relatively easy to get to anywhere in the UK & beyond (Leeds/Bradford airport for those who need to fly). Housing far less expensive than in S!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Where to live in the UK? on 12:11 - Jan 24 with 3359 viewsBrixtonBlue

There are so many different areas in London that both of your posts on the subject are silly.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Where to live in the UK? on 13:16 - Jan 24 with 3304 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Where to live in the UK? on 06:10 - Jan 24 by bluelagos

First thing to do is be really clear in your mind what nice is? Asking me or anyone else what their favourite city is, wont mean it is your favourite city!

So have a hard think, is it the fun side? (places like Newcastle do well)

Is it important to be affordable side? Is it access to the countryside? Is it job opportunity? Is it looking nice? Is it culture? Is it diversity? Is it peace and tranquiity?

Is it ability to park? Is it security?

There are 101 things that could be important to you....try amd work what is important and that will lead to informed suggestions. Otherwise all you will get is a list of cities people love for their own likes, not for yours :-)

*which is still fun, but maybe not all that helpful.

And have a think about the opportunities overseas for sure. It is a small world.

And dont be afraid to try places out. I have lived in 6 countries all of which have their pluses and minuses. Cities will be the same ;-)

Spacious.
Modern feel.
Vibrant.
Safe.
Culture.
Nice views.
Easy access to different types of environments.

Where to live in the UK? on 13:18 - Jan 24 with 3299 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Where to live in the UK? on 01:39 - Jan 24 by connorscontract

You're exactly where I have been over the last 18 months, but at a different "crossroads" life stage.

My sons have both now left home. One graduated in the summer, one went to Uni in September.

I wanted to leave Britain because of the Brexit vote. i wanted to live somewhere optimistic and friendly and welcoming of difference.

For the past two years I was preparing for this moment. A friend who lives in Calgary invited us over and had a job opening for me lined up. I had discussions and it was pretty much lined up.

I investigated immigration into Canada. If you have the right professional or educational qualifications it is easy. There is a national set of criteria- pass those and you are in. There are also Province or Territory (the Canadian equivalent of US States) criteria- so if a particular region is short of a particular skilled workforce they can add them in even if they aren't on the national list. Once in and working after only 5 years you can apply for Canadian citizenship, giving permanent rights (and also some pretty cool reciprocal rights with USA- worth knowing!). Best of all there is no problem being a dual British and Canadian citizen as the Queen is Head of State of both! Perfect!

Vancouver is wet and grey, but beautiful and has amazing beaches, coastline, islands, mountains, skiing nearby if that's your thing, a young international population.

Calgary has much colder winters (and winter/snow season is 7-8 months of the year) but is very dry and bright. And it is an hour away from Banff National Park which contains tens of thousands of views each of which would be the most beautiful view in any other country.

Toronto and Montreal are both great cities, and so is the small University city of Kingston between them.

Canada is a great country. Everyone is polite and, as you say, everywhere is clean. Why don't people drop litter in Canada? Because a fed bear is a dead bear.

So, my heart was set on Canada. Initially Calgary: get citizenship then maybe move on somewhere else.

Then my Dad was diagnosed late with cancer. It had gone stage 4, into his bones. Suddenly everything changed...

Canada would be too far away. i just couldn't do it.

I went to Edinburgh for the Fringe this summer, as I do every couple of years. I was on the bus in from Leith where we were staying. Anyone who knows Edinburgh will know that's not the pretty way. But the city seemed buzzing, alive, vibrant. Not the busyness of the Festival, but real life. And I just felt, really strongly: i want to live here!

So I've sorted a job and I move in late March/early April. It's still a 7 hour drive from my parents, but an easy 45 minute bus from my house to the airport in emergencies, short flight and then an easy train and taxi to their house, or a train 4 or 5 hours and taxi. Doable.

But I get to live in a beautiful city, with THE comedy festival (I'll be able to get to two or three shows every day on work days!) and loads of other festivals, Hogmanay, hundreds of brilliant pubs, bars and restaurants, Arthur's Seat 10 minutes from my house, Portobello Beach a 15 minute drive away. Seaside and a cultural city after 16 years stuck in a medium sized town in the Midlands.

And, OK, it's not Canada, but for the past three years I have been dying for the Labour Party to win the argument, to stand up to and defeat one of the worst (performing) Prime Ministers of all time and then one of the worst (as a human being) Prime Ministers of all time. And they have failed. And I've been impressed by very few MPs, but consistently by the SNP. So I haven't left Britain, but I'm going somewhere where progressive politics are celebrated.

Birmingham is a friendly place- don't rule it out. Bristol is cool. Friends who live in Leeds love it. Newcastle is interesting. Cambridge, Oxford. Basically loads of English University cities will give you a young and diverse population and loads to do. As long as you can afford to live in the right areas.

But I have to emotionally and physically turn my back on England. This song (WARNING NSFW!!!) sums it up:

And I love Edinburgh, and this is just a glimpse into a beautiful city:

And one of its most famous sons sums the attraction of the city up here:

And there's countryside nearly, not quite, but nearly, as beautiful as Western Canada in just about any direction, eg:

I'm happy with my choice, but if I were you I'd look at Canada first (maybe visit Toronto and Montreal, to give more of a flavour and choices?) read up on immigration possibilities in your line of work and go for it!

Thanks for sharing, CC. I hope the move to Edinburgh goes well for you.

I have also considered Toronto and would like to check it out - but might be slightly put off by the incredibly snowy winters!

Where to live in the UK? on 13:21 - Jan 24 with 3292 viewsHerbivore

Where to live in the UK? on 12:09 - Jan 24 by Ryorry

Leeds. Cosmopolitan, friendly people, thriving both economically & in tolerant multi-cultural atmosphere, fantastic & diverse music/theatre/arts/shopping/food arising from that. Wonderful large parks. Brilliant countryside (Yorkshire Dales esp) only a 20 min journey away. Excellent road/rail links, relatively easy to get to anywhere in the UK & beyond (Leeds/Bradford airport for those who need to fly). Housing far less expensive than in S!

I visited Leeds last year and liked it a lot. I'd consider moving there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Where to live in the UK? on 13:23 - Jan 24 with 3287 viewsHerbivore

Where to live in the UK? on 12:11 - Jan 24 by BrixtonBlue

There are so many different areas in London that both of your posts on the subject are silly.

It's pretty obvious what his real issue with London is. I'm just surprised he didn't call it Londonistan.

Where to live in the UK? on 13:27 - Jan 24 with 3278 viewsWeWereZombies

Where to live in the UK? on 13:18 - Jan 24 by ThisIsMyUsername

Thanks for sharing, CC. I hope the move to Edinburgh goes well for you.

I have also considered Toronto and would like to check it out - but might be slightly put off by the incredibly snowy winters!

Having worked in Toronto for a couple of short spells in Spring and Summer I think another thing you should be wary of is the humidity. The people I worked with kept more of an eye on the humidex than the temperature gauge.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Where to live in the UK? on 13:33 - Jan 24 with 3266 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

have you considered Germany? Munich is lovely, and depending on industry you can get by in English whilst you learn the Lingo?
Where to live in the UK? on 13:35 - Jan 24 with 3266 viewsBlueinBrum

Where to live in the UK? on 20:59 - Jan 23 by gordon

The risk with London though, is that it turns you into a tw*t. Seen it happen more times than I care to remember, and it doesn't get any less sadder each time.

Wondered if you care to elaborate on this at all.

If i'm a tw*t now I'm fairly sure i was a tw*t before i moved to London.
Where to live in the UK? on 13:36 - Jan 24 with 3264 viewsBlueinBrum

Where to live in the UK? on 01:05 - Jan 24 by The_Last_Baron

London is a dump best avoided by all ages. If you do get stuck there make a plan to get out at some point. A terrible place.

What a very sophisticated analysis.
Where to live in the UK? on 13:40 - Jan 24 with 3256 viewsjeera

Where to live in the UK? on 13:35 - Jan 24 by BlueinBrum

Wondered if you care to elaborate on this at all.

If i'm a tw*t now I'm fairly sure i was a tw*t before i moved to London.

Did you move there to help spread the tw@ttishness?

Which era was this - was it pre tw@ttishness London?
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 13:49]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Where to live in the UK? on 13:44 - Jan 24 with 3247 viewsfooters

Where to live in the UK? on 13:40 - Jan 24 by jeera

Did you move there to help spread the tw@ttishness?

Which era was this - was it pre tw@ttishness London?
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 13:49]

"I'm not a tw@t, other people are."

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Where to live in the UK? on 13:44 - Jan 24 with 3245 viewsBlueinBrum

Where in London are you even talking about? Hampstead or Harlesden? Kensington or the Old Kent Road?

It's completely fair enough that living London isn't for everyone but writing off the entirety of one of the largest and most diverse cities on the planet is peak ignorance.
Where to live in the UK? on 13:48 - Jan 24 with 3229 viewsHerbivore

Where to live in the UK? on 13:44 - Jan 24 by BlueinBrum

Where in London are you even talking about? Hampstead or Harlesden? Kensington or the Old Kent Road?

It's completely fair enough that living London isn't for everyone but writing off the entirety of one of the largest and most diverse cities on the planet is peak ignorance.

Your second paragraph provides a couple of clues into this one's mindset.

Where to live in the UK? on 15:00 - Jan 24 with 3179 viewsbluelagos

Where to live in the UK? on 13:16 - Jan 24 by ThisIsMyUsername

Spacious.
Modern feel.
Vibrant.
Safe.
Culture.
Nice views.
Easy access to different types of environments.

My first thought with cities is that it's easy to group it all together, yet many cities are very different in some parts than others. So say SW London around Richmond is way different to Shoreditch in East London.

So I'd definitely look at say SW London or Salford, Manchester. Reckon they both tick your boxes. As would Headingley in Leeds, Hunters Bar in Sheffield and am sure many other parts of a host of cities.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Where to live in the UK? on 15:21 - Jan 24 with 3155 viewsGeoffSentence

Where to live in the UK? on 13:27 - Jan 24 by WeWereZombies

Having worked in Toronto for a couple of short spells in Spring and Summer I think another thing you should be wary of is the humidity. The people I worked with kept more of an eye on the humidex than the temperature gauge.

I went to Canada for work for a couple of weeks a few years ago, at the end of August, and yes the humidity was incredible. It did freshen up after a few days, but it was incredibly uncomfortable.

The mosquitoes were enormous too.

And I sat on a snake.

But despite all that I thought it was a great place, so much space.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024